Best place for hiring a machinist? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2018, 05:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Best place for hiring a machinist?

Looking to get the opinion of the machinists on here, both manual and CNC side. We're in need of both, particularly a CNC operator and programmer. Where do machinists typically look for jobs? We've tried Monster, CL, Indeed, and are working on trying ZipRecruiter. Also asked local tech colleges and schools but most of them already have a gig lined up or aren't up to our tasks.

Anyone have a good source we can push out some job ads?

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fab Parts:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 05:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Indeed has always worked well for me.

https://www.indeed.com/hire?hl=en&cc=US
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
Look into NDSCS. They have a CNC program and do job fairs.

This will give you an idea of they'll have the training you want. https://www.ndscs.edu/academics/thin...ing-technology

Last edited by chevy_man; 05-31-2018 at 05:49 PM.
chevy_man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Where about are ya?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post
Where about are ya?
thing says olympia wa
so right next to the shithole of the northwest
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 06:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
thing says olympia wa
so right next to the shithole of the northwest
Didn't see that on crapatalk. No wonder he can't find a machinist worth a damn
Old 05-31-2018, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 226
https://www.perrytech.edu/hire/
Ben W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 07:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pavement Challenged

Member # 73465
Lazy B ought to have one or two... but then there is the union shit...

Quote:
This country is trying to childproof the world when they should be worldproofing their children.
71PA_Highboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 07:21 PM   #9 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 176960
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71PA_Highboy View Post
Lazy B ought to have one or two... but then there is the union shit...
Lazy B is snatching up anyone that can spell CNC. Keeps me busy fixing the machines when they crash them though!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Jwrednecki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Guess your pay is shit and cost of living is high. Here we go again.

On a serious note, I know a guy but you would be hard pressed to get him to leave his current gig.
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
so uh, how much are we talking about here?

I might happen to be or know a machinist who is manual and cnc and such and lives in olympia

full time or part time?

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums

Last edited by Provience; 05-31-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 08:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
If your company is anything like the one I work for they can not find anyone because they want to pay $5 for a $15 job. We can not even get people in the door, price point is too low.

Who would want to do a skilled labor job for the same return they can get from Home Depot.

Does not matter the medium you look through, end of the day odds are the price point is off.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2018, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
If your company is anything like the one I work for they can not find anyone because they want to pay $5 for a $15 job. We can not even get people in the door, price point is too low.

Who would want to do a skilled labor job for the same return they can get from Home Depot.

Does not matter the medium you look through, end of the day odds are the price point is off.

This is very true.

My sister runs manual and CNC machine for a mining services company. She makes $30/hr, and I've told her that's way too low to be responsible for the machines she's running. She sent me a picture the other day off 10k lbs of brass sitting in the mill.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:11 AM   #14 (permalink)
NERD

Member # 25303
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossBuilt View Post
Indeed has always worked well for me.

https://www.indeed.com/hire?hl=en&cc=US
Thanks I'll keep posting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy_man View Post
Look into NDSCS. They have a CNC program and do job fairs.

This will give you an idea of they'll have the training you want. https://www.ndscs.edu/academics/thin...ing-technology
I'll look into this, sounds right up our alley. Hopefully we can find some decent recruits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben W View Post
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
so uh, how much are we talking about here?

I might happen to be or know a machinist who is manual and cnc and such and lives in olympia

full time or part time?
Full time. We don't really hire part time. Pay is based on experience and if you can hit the target dimensions in the allowed time per the given drawing.

Majority of the people I have interviewed do not have actual CNC experience. They pushed a couple buttons once and think they can handle any CNC. We're not going to throw money at another stacked resume, each person has to prove they can program and machine. I've had three guys we've hired claim they can program and edit gcode and run them but can't do either. They get shown the door after a couple weeks of this. Now they have a PE with our software and machines. This is with standard HAAS controls and brand new 4 axis mill and a older cnc lathe.

Lots of manual guys that want $50/hr but need 3 hours to read the drawing before they'll start. Had a guy claim he was a 20+ year journeyman then spend 6 hours on a single part that took 15 minutes for my other machinists. We have solid 40 hour weeks, they're not going to lose money by getting the job done. It's a job shop, but they're paid hourly not by job. What I've noticed is a whole lot of resume fluff and bullshit with the shitty attitude of "pay me, I deserve it" without much to back it up.

2013 Raptor SuperCrew Tow Rig
Porsche

Fab Parts:

PNW Shock Tuning:
gtxracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 15808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post

This is where the shop I work for is at too. They think they can hire kids fresh out of HS or Vo-Tech and pay them $12 to start. They can't figure out why they can't get anyone to apply. The ones that do start either aren't worth that to sweep the floors or they stay 3-4 years for the experience then go elsewhere for $10 more an hour just to start. I have been here 21 years and I am underpaid for what I do but being a CNC OD/ID grinder is hard to find a shop that has one. It's getting old constantly training a new wave of greenhorns only to have them quit a few years later. Management doesn't seem to realize this though. You can't get decent skilled help when the Home Depot/Walmart stockers are making just as much to start.
wades_76_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 07:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassnTruck View Post

On a serious note, I know a guy but you would be hard pressed to get him to leave his current gig.
Pewpewmacbuttsex?
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 08:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41059
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
Your machinists know machinists, that's how you get the best ones. But if your shop sucks, well good luck.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 08:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxracer View Post
Lots of manual guys that want $50/hr .
shit, if you are willing to pay $50/hour and I only have to work 40hour weeks, I might just quit my job right now and pay my own benefits

Old 06-01-2018, 08:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by wades_76_cj7 View Post
You can't get decent skilled help when the Home Depot/Walmart stockers are making just as much to start.
good point, target has a large warehouse/distro center down the street with a massive sign advertising starting pay around $17/hour or so last time I looked....damn lot of money to sling boxes and wrap pallets.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 81613
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Pewpewmacbuttsex?
he is on the OP's area, with the jobless rate at an all time low, I believe he is available.. get the jeep guy to txt him.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 09:06 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 4387
I see a trend of companies wanting exact matches for software/hardware experience. Sometimes looking for someone with similar skills who isn't a fawkwhit and spend a month training is the best investment. Nationally our automated HR bullshit is the huge barrier to finding people. I keep hearing of the labor shortage, but companies that can't find people are generally shit to work for, pay shit, or have morons doing recruiting. This isn't 2009.
Norm is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 7412
Quote:
This is where the shop I work for is at too. They think they can hire kids fresh out of HS or Vo-Tech and pay them $12 to start. They can't figure out why they can't get anyone to apply. The ones that do start either aren't worth that to sweep the floors or they stay 3-4 years for the experience then go elsewhere for $10 more an hour just to start. I have been here 21 years and I am underpaid for what I do but being a CNC OD/ID grinder is hard to find a shop that has one. It's getting old constantly training a new wave of greenhorns only to have them quit a few years later. Management doesn't seem to realize this though. You can't get decent skilled help when the Home Depot/Walmart stockers are making just as much to start.
our grinders make 40 plus an hour here in texas. but were not hiring right now.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 161331
I constantly get calls from headhunters. Most of them are not paying shit. They want to pay the same as what they were paying 20 years ago. I have pretty much left machining and gone back out in the field as it pays better.

It's pretty fucked up when a dumbass (My GF) can get a job with ATT installing cable and in 2 years be making more than a machinist (Me) with 30 years of experience who has his own tools.

If I could figure a way to get out of the mess I am in without loosing My ass, I would be gone in a heart beat.
bdkw1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 02:10 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 86582
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Pewpewmacbuttsex?
No
BassnTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2018, 03:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
I use the home depot analogy all the time at work. We have apprentices that make ~$13 an hour. After they complete their 4 years they will be bumped to ~$20/hr. Management can not figure out why they all leave after they finish. Its because the place down the street will start them at $27/hr

I am a toolmaker/project engineer, and do not make anywhere near what I should. If I was not in NJ I would say my pay rate is decent (ish) but here is does not go far. For me I took it to get back into the industry after taking a few years off to finish my degree. I like the job, but its hard to justify the lack of pay.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in