TIRE PRESSURE---WHAT ARE YOU RUNNING - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175047
TIRE PRESSURE---WHAT ARE YOU RUNNING

In an effort to un fuckerize the shit my dad says thread, I'll start a new one.
Please tell me @Roc Doc how putting the factory recommend psi in a tire is wrong?

"I'm glad I don't go to your shop. "I've been doing this for 27 years". Yeah, well you've apparently been doing it wrong for 27 years."
Old 06-06-2018, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr-nut View Post
In an effort to un fuckerize the shit my dad says thread, I'll start a new one.
Please tell me @Roc Doc how putting the factory recommend psi in a tire is wrong?

"I'm glad I don't go to your shop. "I've been doing this for 27 years". Yeah, well you've apparently been doing it wrong for 27 years."
You talking about "factory recommended" as in the door sticker on the vehicle or the "factory recommended" max psi on the side of the tire? Also are the tires the same exact size and load rating as the original tires on the vehicle or not?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 13786
So to booger up this thread, I always go by what the tire says. If you have a 1/2 ton truck, more than likely the factory put on a 4 ply tire. If you do any type of hauling or towing you'd be an idiot not to put on at least a 6 ply or better so the truck isn't like riding a beach ball down the road. 6 ply tire with only say 28 lbs of pressure is just plain stoopid, defeats the whole purpose of upgrading. It's a truck, and it's going to ride somewhat rough, air them bastards up to at least 80% of the max pressure. MY daily for mileage is a Subaru, I keep those tires at 40 lbs---door tag says 28---yeah right, at 28 the tires only last about a year and half before the outer edges are cut down like a slick. 40 pounds keeps the tread flat and the tire lasting for almost 5 years
KWTMECH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Depends on manufacturer of the vehicle. Most of the time. Vehicle manufacturer has an optimal air pressure recommendation. But can be different if changing wheel size, load rating, tire size.

Tire manufacturer air pressure is for max air pressure tire is rated for.

So specifically what was the argument?
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
currently around 30 psi in 3 of em and 15 in the 4th. It deflates to 15 and stays there.

I really should put the spare on and have it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
I'm not your buddeh

Member # 99624
I always read the tire and go from there. I will start at what the door tag says but will adjust to the model of tire. Tread contact, road manners, tread wear, etc.

The door tag is a good guideline for a starting point unless you have out-of-the-ordinary needs. (like hauling 1500lbs in the bed all the time in a utility cab or something)

ALLAHU ACKBAR! "pop"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
D_JEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 09:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 121718
30-35psi LT285-70-17E's

45-65 when I'm towing and depending on load

Best advice I ever got was draw a line across the tire with chalk. If they are over-inflated they will leave the ends of the line, back the pressure down till the line goes away evenly.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41059
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
Do I need to type the whole story of exploders on firestone tires and their recommended pressure of 26 and then 29psi?
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list
Rttoys is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 104517
Door tags don't mean shit as soon as you change tires. Most are barely enough as is.

I run mine at 45 with E rated tires on my Yukon, but the door sticker says 35 with P rated. Turns out if you chalk them the sidewall is stiffer and takes more air to keep the tread flat.

Same on my truck, I chalk them and go from there. I usually end up at 55-65 front, 50-80 in the rear (I always bump them to max when towing or loaded).

Work truck lives at 80 front and rear and still shows signs of underinflation. Sticker says 65-75
Old 06-06-2018, 09:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
It's been explained to you several times.

The automobile manufacturer has a recommended air pressure for the specific tires that it comes with, let's say load range D. If you are running the OEM tires then yes you should run the recommended pressure, but not the max pressure if you are running less than max GVW.

If you change tires with a different load rating, then you should use PSI that is appropriate for the weight of the vehicle, and if you want to get technical, you can stagger the air pressure from front to rear, (think a 4x4 2500 Ram with a 1000lb Cummins up front and an unloaded bed). So if you've got a truck with 4000lbs over the front axle and 3000lbs over the rear axle, then the fronts should be inflated 25% more than the rears. Furthermore, if each tire according to it's load index is rated to carry 2500lbs at max pressure, and unloaded it's only carrying 2000lbs then you can inflate to 20% less than the max psi to get a better ride and a better contact patch. Of course you can't lower it so much that it sets off the TPM, but that's a vehicle by vehicle issue.

Oh, and all these psi numbers are cold. The mfgs know that tires get hot and psi goes up in hot conditions.

Still not going to your shop.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 3511
My 2018 1/2 ton has 45 psi in the 275/60R20 stock tires
In the past when I've put on aftermarket tires with higher load ratings I just go by feel on the pressure - 80psi in an E tire on a half ton would ride like a lumber wagon
Old 06-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
What about the cars that read the tire pressures and alert you if one is low on air? What about those psi’s? Huh? Huh? Huh? Well?!?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
30-35ish empty 50ish+ loaded if I even remember to check or change it. I may or may not read what the tire says but I'll end up making up my own number that sounds good at the time. Chances are if 3 are close and 1 is different the 3 win and I'll adjust the 1 accordingly.

Fuck the door sticker

Old 06-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
What about the cars that read the tire pressures and alert you if one is low on air? What about those psi’s? Huh? Huh? Huh? Well?!?
What about reading the other posts in this thread that address that?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
I'm a little angel

Member # 4395
Send a message via ICQ to Entropy Send a message via AIM to Entropy
I get as close to the Max PSI as I can based on what the vehicle is supposed to do and how it feels going down the road.

For the Maxima we have, that is 36psi at all four. The tires aren't the stock size, width, or rating, and the car doesn't have any of its original suspension geometry.
...the vagina is a warm, moist and tropical area.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 09:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Chalk test for unloaded pressures.

5 psi under tire max when loaded.

Door sticker doesn't matter once you change tire size and/or load rating. Some would even argue deviating from factory installed tire brand and model would make the door sticker useless.
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Old 06-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175047
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
You talking about "factory recommended" as in the door sticker on the vehicle or the "factory recommended" max psi on the side of the tire? Also are the tires the same exact size and load rating as the original tires on the vehicle or not?

I'm talking about what the mfg of the vehicle puts on the sticker inside the driver door jamb. That psi is also the target psi for the tpms system. I'm also talking solely about replacing tires of the same size and shape, like happens more often than not, when the oe tires wear out.( Example, on mommas shit box van or fusion or tahoe or wtf-ever. )

Generally speaking, the load rating on a cooper vs goodyear vs firestone vs hankook, etc will be close enough that from my training with tire mfg reps, we are supposed to put them all at the vehicle mfg spec psi.

Of course everyone on here is an "expert of 27 years" as roc doc puts it and changes tire sizes and load ratings to suit their expert level needs. I don't care what they do, or their shop does, or anything else about it for that matter. I'm covering my ass in this litigious world.

And.....for the record, roc doc, don't come to bfk needing tires, I see your ass pull in I'm switching the sign to closed!

Really I wont, just fuckn with ya
Old 06-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 21498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckupq View Post
30-35psi LT285-70-17E's

45-65 when I'm towing and depending on load

Best advice I ever got was draw a line across the tire with chalk. If they are over-inflated they will leave the ends of the line, back the pressure down till the line goes away evenly.
This, and a tread wear gauge. Check wear both edges and middle, not wearing evenly? change pressure to correct problem you are seeing. Especially useful if you have changed tire sizes from stock (But no one on this board has done that, right? I mean who actually wheels any more?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Reset TPMS sensors to new tires and pressures
Old 06-06-2018, 09:55 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 121794
I have been following the PSI as recommended on the door tag.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #22 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr-nut View Post
I'm talking about what the mfg of the vehicle puts on the sticker inside the driver door jamb. That psi is also the target psi for the tpms system. I'm also talking solely about replacing tires of the same size and shape, like happens more often than not, when the oe tires wear out.( Example, on mommas shit box van or fusion or tahoe or wtf-ever. )

Generally speaking, the load rating on a cooper vs goodyear vs firestone vs hankook, etc will be close enough that from my training with tire mfg reps, we are supposed to put them all at the vehicle mfg spec psi.

Of course everyone on here is an "expert of 27 years" as roc doc puts it and changes tire sizes and load ratings to suit their expert level needs. I don't care what they do, or their shop does, or anything else about it for that matter. I'm covering my ass in this litigious world.

And.....for the record, roc doc, don't come to bfk needing tires, I see your ass pull in I'm switching the sign to closed!

Really I wont, just fuckn with ya
Well, bless your heart.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:09 AM   #23 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 684666
0-80. Just depends.
jedijesus2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 41059
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
Well, bless your heart.
Id say bless his brain but I think the heart is a better call
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #25 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Id say bless his brain but I think the heart is a better call

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in