phones vs driving - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2018, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 229476
phones vs driving

I carpool with a friend/coworker to work most days, every other week we trade off driving. When I'm not driving I just watch the other cars/drivers on the road in between conversation.

It fucking astonishes me how many people I see driving next to us that are more engaged with their phone than they are with their driving. Even when while doing 80mph tailgating the vehicle in front of them.

I'd be willing to bet more accidents are caused by folks distracted by their phones than folks driving drunk or high.

I see rear-end accidents weekly and damn near daily, one morning I counted 7 rear-end accidents, that's my highest count for a 45 mile drive to work. I would guess that 30% of folks driving are staring at their phones for a portion of their drive. And not just young folks, I see folks probably in their 60s-70s constantly looking at their phones too.

So... in a modern society, what's the solution for this? I don't have a clue, but I'd love to hear.

I'm contemplating getting a motorcycle because I've wanted one for a while, and my carpool friend motorcycles every so often, so it would be fun to ride along with him. But FUCK the clueless people on the road make me question if riding a motorcycle would be any fun, because I'd just be dodging idiots for 45 miles.

So just a reminder, keep those tow hitches mounted, and at radiator height.

Last edited by danielbuck; 06-29-2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: wall of text, edited to be shorter.
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2018, 11:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Baconologyst

Member # 32029
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
It fucking astonishes me how many people I see driving next to us that are more engaged with their phone than they are with their driving.
This is probably my biggest pet peeve

I see more people on their phone while driving now than I ever did before they made “hands free” a law. My family and I live and drive on a road that has claimed many lives in the twenty five years I have lived out here. My dad was #1 in my count on this stretch of road, that was in 1974. I now live less than a mile from the area where he was killed (major realignment happened after his accident). I’ve lost count of the fatalities within two miles of my driveway in either direction

I wish they would make the punishment for using a cellphone while driving painful

Last edited by smurfblue40; 06-29-2018 at 11:26 PM.
smurfblue40 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
I don't have a bike at the moment, but I rode for several years and intend to do so again. Seriously.... treat every vehicle as if it's going to kill you. You'll become really jaded about other drivers, but it'll keep you alive. Also, learn to ride fast and hard. High awareness and intense acceleration has saved my hide more than once. People are fucking morons and don't care about anything more than instagram from their comfy leather captain's chairs.

As for the cell phone thing, I see it all the time. I live in the BCS, which is two towns basically making up one. In Bryan, we don't have the signs up anymore, but in College Station, hands free signs are up and it's still law. Nobody seems to fucking care, and it's not just the college kids. It's people of all ages, but I'd say cops, girls, and soccer moms are the absolute worst for finger fucking screens, driving like ass, and not paying attention.

I'll look down at the phone if someone shoots me a message at a stoplight in the truck, since I know the lights really well and know how much time I have before green, but never while moving. My old truck has a bluetooth deck with a microphone I mounted on the steering column so I can just answer calls while paying attention to the road. Songs can be skipped with the tip of my finger since my hand is always on the shift knob. Every new car has hands free... yet everyone still wants to fucking text.

Plenty of studies have compared drunk driving and texting and found they are both equally bad. A buddy of mine rear ended someone over a year ago and I just knew his dumb ass was texting when it happened. He's a terrible driver, and always on his phone. I hate riding with him becaue he can't seem to stay off it. Even worse... he's a motorcyclist as well. He just doesn't get it.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 06-30-2018 at 12:11 AM.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 12:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 47838
I'm curious as to what is so fucking important they have to have their head screwed into their phone?

daniel, like you, I see it daily. Not sure who is worse, men or women
Old 06-30-2018, 12:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
... Seriously.... treat every vehicle as if it's going to kill you. You'll become really jaded about other drivers, but it'll keep you alive. Also, learn to ride fast and hard. High awareness and intense acceleration has saved my hide more than once. ....

My father rode alot, and he pretty much told me the same thing.

It's not a matter of who's fault it is when you're on a motorcycle in an accident, you're going to be on the pavement either way.

Last edited by danielbuck; 06-30-2018 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDawg16 View Post
I'm curious as to what is so fucking important they have to have their head screwed into their phone?

From my observations it might lean towards men, but can't say for sure.
Definitely a good mix of both.

The percentage of makeup painting drivers, however, definitely leans towards women.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
Baconologyst

Member # 32029
Quote:
So much this ^^^

Last summer I was almost t-boned by some dumbass who was less than a block from their house

And then they got all offended when I had to honk my horn to get their attention to keep them from hitting me

* Me yelling “GET OFF YOUR FUCKING PHONE!!” may have something to do with the looks too

Last edited by smurfblue40; 06-30-2018 at 12:57 AM.
smurfblue40 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 01:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Forgot about this one. I was walking into a Taco bell, and noticed a truck coming around the corner. Thought the dude saw me and was gonna slow down. I saw wrong, but I had already been in the driving path. Dude sped up and almost hit me because he was texting on his phone going through a parking lot, that usually has a ton of foot traffic. Idiot. I barely missed his grill by a few inches but I hustled out of the way. Looked like he about shit his pants when he realized he almost hit a pedestrian.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 03:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 82607
I see it all the time as well. I have the 3/4 ton Ram and I sit up higher than most. The ones that really get me are the ones backing out of their driveway and are on the phone! I love having the bluetooth in the Ram, still gotta hit send but it's great.
dave_dj1 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 05:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_dj1 View Post
I see it all the time as well. I have the 3/4 ton Ram and I sit up higher than most. The ones that really get me are the ones backing out of their driveway and are on the phone! I love having the bluetooth in the Ram, still gotta hit send but it's great.
The new rams have android auto, all voice commands. Not that i get many calls or texts, but it is handy that it resds them to you and lets you give a verbal response
Old 06-30-2018, 05:28 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
I'm curious as to what is so fucking important
Pirate.

Reading this and posting on my drive to work
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 06:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 198851
I was checking the speedo on one of my motorcycles..I don't have a handle bar mount phone holder so I'm driving down the road at 60 mph holding the phone in my left hand, right hand on the throttle..
Bike riders sit up higher and you need to be more vigilant about surroundings...I believe half the drivers are using a phone....Cops say it's as bad as drunk driving for causing accidents..
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 06:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Insurance poor

Member # 140853
Texting driver you say?? Ya, touchy subject for me right now.
Attached Images

'84 CJ7- all stock farm rig, except a bunch of gun racks

'79 CJ5- not stock- way too much to list

Last edited by Rttoys; 06-30-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Rttoys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 07:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123554
It seems to be getting worse. Iím constantly dodging people who are swerving while driving and playing on their phones. We are supposed to have a hands free ordinance, but it doesnít seem to be enforced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 07:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Machete don't text.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 106178
iPhones have an option to delay texts and calls while you are moving, it will not be long until phones are automatically disabled while in motion. It will be mandatory.
takotruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 08:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 38193
Quote:
Originally Posted by takotruckin View Post
iPhones have an option to delay texts and calls while you are moving, it will not be long until phones are automatically disabled while in motion. It will be mandatory.
That'll be interesting. I can see that going both ways.

Gonna be harder to film that rode rage Pirate cuttin' ya off on the freeway then.
That's why they call it the Present

óEleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:

there have been many studies done on why people are addicted to their phones. Partly the blame is on app manufacturers using tactics to make people happy while using their phones so they can capture more screen time and thus more advertising revenue, but mostly I blame the social networking. People are so damned insecure these days that they are addicted to seeing how many likes they can get or whatever. Shit literally triggers dopamine releases in the brain when they hear that ding.

edit:
https://www.developereconomics.com/t...game-marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
That'll be interesting. I can see that going both ways.

Gonna be harder to film that rode rage Pirate cuttin' ya off on the freeway then.
well as you know, everyone ought to have a dashcam.

Last edited by 87manche; 06-30-2018 at 09:02 AM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 10:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
Originally Posted by takotruckin View Post
The wife's 2016 4runner has that for txting only, vehicle must be full stop to answer/view a txt on the HUD.

She is also one for being attached to the phone 24/7/365-366, she goes into panic mode if she doesn't see the phone tethered to the HUD and has to go back to get it...

More amusingly there are 2 known dead spots in service near the house. She will start a conversation that dies due to hitting a dead spot, speed up to get past it and redial to restart the conversation...

She also gets a major irritation on when she is with me, my phone goes off in the car and I don't answer the call. I had a leash for years in the form of a pager for work. I dont have one now and refuse to let a tech device drive my life nowadays...

Last edited by DavidVanVorous; 06-30-2018 at 10:11 AM.
DavidVanVorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 10:13 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 84132
I watch as well when commuting, I swear 90% of people are looking down the vast majority of the time vs. looking ahead...it's actually terrifying and will probably only get worse. .02
Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 181868
This subject really pisses me off. I don't have a smart phone. My phone doesn't except text. If I get a call while driving, I pull over.

I have been in an accident where the other driver was on the phone. My wife drives all the time with the phone on her leg. I'm about at the point of grabbing the phone and throwing it out the window.

Normally, I'm against more laws. But I can't wait for the day they make it law that phones don't work while in motion. I want it to be universal. No cops, no doctors, no anybody gets to have them work. If they have exceptions, there will be all kinds of scammers that get the exception. (Just like handicap parking stickers)

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Pirate.

Reading this and posting on my drive to work
Old 06-30-2018, 10:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Normally, I'm against more laws. But I can't wait for the day they make it law that phones don't work while in motion. I want it to be universal. No cops, no doctors, no anybody gets to have them work. If they have exceptions, there will be all kinds of scammers that get the exception. (Just like handicap parking stickers)
That's a tricky thing to do, I think. Because I see no reason that passengers should have their phones automatically turned off while in motion. And any automated attempts to determine which phone is the drivers, I'm sure there would be ways around it.

Ultimately, it's the driver's responsibility to be operating the vehicle safely, phone manufacturers (or the government!) shouldn't have to force the phones to be off while driving. Like you, I'm against more laws. And you can make all the laws you want, doesn't mean people will follow them. But at the same time, I feel like something has to be done. I just don't know what it is.

Last edited by danielbuck; 06-30-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
Mr. Lucky

Member # 84122
coming out

I'm guilty and it has to stop. I caused an accident 10 years ago while texting and I have had a bunch of near misses since. It's fucking irresponsible and completely wrong.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 377
Pretty sure there have been numerous studoes done showing that texting and driving is at least as impairing as drinking and driving and likely more so.

But the focus is always on drimaking and driving because of horror story PR efforts by groups like MADD and the awesome revenue driver that DUIs are due to fines.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in