Cost of recreation toys spinoff: Current prices - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 3007
I have been a DR fan following it to a T years ago. It is common sense when you step back. I am still debt free, but I do use credit every now and then and do not feel guilty at all about it. I have a good chunk going into retirement and still think it's too little.

His stance on new cars has always been stupid to me. Sure, pay cash if you can, payments truly do suck even if it's damn near interest free. But his shit about only buy used because you save so much money and only millionares should be buying new cars is out of touch with reality. Used car prices are insanity where in a lot of cases new makes more sense like said many times in this thread already.
Bones is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #52 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
If I'm going to buy a depreciating asset that costs a house payment... it better do 0-60 in under 3 seconds.
Why are you bringing up leases here

Can you lease a RZR, or an ATV, or a toy hauler?

Old 07-03-2018, 11:29 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 98578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
His stance on new cars has always been stupid to me. Sure, pay cash if you can, payments truly do suck even if it's damn near interest free. But his shit about only buy used because you save so much money and only millionares should be buying new cars is out of touch with reality. Used car prices are insanity where in a lot of cases new makes more sense like said many times in this thread already.
I think his guidelines on amount of vehicles/things with an engine/wheels versus income etc is spot on.

For someone who makes 80k a year to buy (read: finance) a 60k truck is ludicrous. I mean do it if you want to for sure, but it's not smart. Considering how fast many vehicles depreciate (trucks lately have held their value somewhat reasonably) buying used is usually the way to go.

For example, I'm in the market for a midsize (3rd row) SUV for my wife. Sticker prices are well over 40. I can save 20% instantly (should be closer to 25%) for a vehicle with 20k miles, 2 years old and it still has a great (CPO) warranty. That's a no brainier for me.

Edit: the average car loses 50% of its value in the first 3-4 years. If you want a new car, go for it. I''d rather have 15k in my pocket to do other cool stuff.

Last edited by TJGreg5; 07-03-2018 at 11:44 AM.
TJGreg5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 12:11 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Yeah, I was looking at trucks and stuff the other day, cause I thought one of the ads I saw was a joke. It wasn't.

100,000 dollars will get you into a GTR. That's an 11 sec car with a 3 sec 0-60 and a nearly 200 mph top speed. I'd smile all the way to jail with that. Fuck a pickup truck for that money.
My wife's cousin works for Nissan corporate... he's told me multiple times he can get me a lease on a GT-R for $500ish a month... I told him to quit tempting me like that

My 350z just got a fully built engine and a bunch of other stuff... hopefully soon I'll get the Vortech installed I have for it

Last edited by Danger Ranger; 07-03-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Danger Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGreg5 View Post
I think his guidelines on amount of vehicles/things with an engine/wheels versus income etc is spot on.

For someone who makes 80k a year to buy (read: finance) a 60k truck is ludicrous. I mean do it if you want to for sure, but it's not smart. Considering how fast many vehicles depreciate (trucks lately have held their value somewhat reasonably) buying used is usually the way to go.

For example, I'm in the market for a midsize (3rd row) SUV for my wife. Sticker prices are well over 40. I can save 20% instantly (should be closer to 25%) for a vehicle with 20k miles, 2 years old and it still has a great (CPO) warranty. That's a no brainier for me.

Edit: the average car loses 50% of its value in the first 3-4 years. If you want a new car, go for it. I''d rather have 15k in my pocket to do other cool stuff.
Not disagreeing one bit. People think I am filthy rich because I drive 20 year old Toyotas that are well maintained. Everything about them is cheap. Purchase price, parts, insurance, tags. Even if I feel for some reason they are not worthy of a road trip a rental car is a cheap work around for a weekend.

I know friends with 800/mo payments and 600/mo leases. Crazy.
Bones is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post
Why are you bringing up leases here

Can you lease a RZR, or an ATV, or a toy hauler?

Yes, you give them back when you realize you can't afford them... kinda like a lease
Old 07-03-2018, 12:19 PM   #57 (permalink)
III

Member # 2032
Quote:

Bought a used Suburban last week with 30k miles. 25k off og sticker. Premium package. Was a rental. In pristine condition. Traded in a Tahoe that I had purchased with 20k on it. Put 165k on it ourselves with very few issues. Most major things were a motor mount twice and some other minor stuff. I bet I never spent over $200 in parts for anything and I still got high BB on the trade. Almost every car I have bought in the last 15 years has been a low miles used car and I have had amazing luck.

I currently drive a 5 year old BMW that was 66k new. I paid 34 when it was two years old with 20k on it. Looking to buy a new truck for myself only because I'll be putting a mountain of miles on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #58 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Local dealer has a 17 on his lot with 50 miles on it. They are down to 61 from 69. I figure if I play my cards right I can get in the 50's

Ive found a few 17s on the lots with decent discounts. Will see if theyre available in a few months when Im ready to purchase.

Ive had good luck in the past buying 1-2 year old trucks with low miles. My current truck had a little over 100K on it when purchased, but it has become a money pit for parts over the last 36K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 02:06 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 110475
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonstart View Post
We are thinking about buying a JKU for my wife. I keep coming back to the idea thats its better to just buy a brand new one instead of a 6 year old used one thats only a few thousand less. Being raised with Dave Ramsey on the radio, the whole idea of buying new is kind of a stumbling block for me.
We just bought a new 2017 in January. We were looking at buying used, but for less than $5000 more and 60k miles less we could get a new one. Ended up with a new 17 4 door Rubicon on 35's with a manual transmission. I was convinced we would be buying used until I really dug into the used market, it;s insane for the JKU's. Wasnt worth buying an older one and risking the engine issues those had either. I still cant believe how expensive they are though for being a bare bones utility vehicle.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Yall are saying "buy" like everyone is dropping cash.

Banks are financing wildly again, that wont end well for anyone. So naturally, if banks will approve, the cost keeps rising.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 3455
Quote:

The opening line is that debt is dumb and cash is king. Prove him wrong.
It's impossible to get a true Dave Ramsey cult follower to break away from that saying.

Just like it's impossible to get an alcoholic who got sober through AA to accept that plenty of people can in fact have a few drinks responsibly now and then. Or like my ex heroin addict cousin how can't fathom that anyone could have a decent life without being born again and accepting jesus, yet plenty of us are doing just fine.

I actually think DR has a decent philosophy that you can't really go wrong with, but it's by no means the "only way"
MoonDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 03:03 PM   #62 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post
Says every member of any cult when they are confronted with opposition to their guru.

(and I have heard his show for a LONG time)

And I am not condoning huge debt, however I do believe there is a responsible way to use credit, to live your best life.
He's led literally millions of people out of debt and thousands on to become millionaires in their own right. In that process he has saved marriages, kept families together and kept thousands from going bankrupt. His business employs hundreds with phenomenal benefits, giving away millions to charity. He never claims his way is the only way to live a good life or make a solid financial foundation. However, his way works and millions will tell you it does. I really don't understand your animosity towards him or anyone that uses his practice.

The opening line is that debt is dumb and cash is king. Prove him wrong.

Insert Joel olstein picture here

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #63 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Wife and I were talking about this the other day... Fuck spending 50k on a new car every 6 years... We are pretty content on finding a good used 25k car and driving it for 10...

Thank god 2008 C6 corvettes are starting to hit that price!
Talon2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 04:14 PM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
We've been looking for a toy hauler that makes some tiny amount of sense, and they just don't exist. Every floor plan has a small garage to make room for a fucking walk-through bathroom and a walk-around bed. There's no such thing as the sort of luxury I want--the ability to bring a pair of quads and the rzr. I want a box with a bathroom, ac, kitchen, heavy axles, and a pull-down bed. It doesn't exist unless you special order and take it in the shorts. All the same tards that make it difficult to buy a properly-configured truck make sure that the toyhaulers that sell are the ones that have an outside TV, or a goddamn fold-down wall that makes a patio.
It isn't exactly next door but I know the owner.
https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/36...633594210.html
Fits two quads side by side, and a buggy in it. It would PROBABLY fit a RZR.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 84132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Yall are saying "buy" like everyone is dropping cash.

Banks are financing wildly again, that wont end well for anyone. So naturally, if banks will approve, the cost keeps rising.
Exactly, it's almost like 2006 again except mortgage money is a little more difficult to get and auto/toy/student loan money is maybe even a little easier to get...agreed that it certainly will not end well.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:55 PM   #66 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 109423
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyadoin View Post
Exactly, it's almost like 2006 again except mortgage money is a little more difficult to get and auto/toy/student loan money is maybe even a little easier to get...agreed that it certainly will not end well.
Only for those who are too leveraged..... If you plan decently you can make a killing on a crash...
Go back to riding your Fag Dog Brokeback or whatever the fuck its called.
1990GT50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 08:35 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 322034
I beat the system by buying 15-20 year old stuff by then depreciation is at its max, and I can sell the item back at any point for no loss (usually profit)
montrose818 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Yup. I'll stick with buying a new truck when i want one. Last one i had for 9 years and 175k miles, hopefully this one will be good as long. House is paid for so buying a nice truck or boat isnt a big deal. (although I won't be buying any 100k trucks}]
I think buying new is fine as long as you pay cash. You know what it took to save that money. But if your trying to save money, it's not the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I've never heard the guy, but he sounds smart to me. There's fantastic prices for used stuff. I see lots of great looking trucks with high miles cheap. Everybody says "I need something reliable". Well, what does it cost to rebuild a engine and tranny? Seven grand? They would rather pay an extra thirty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
I think buying new is fine as long as you pay cash. You know what it took to save that money. But if your trying to save money, it's not the way to go.

I've never heard the guy, but he sounds smart to me. There's fantastic prices for used stuff. I see lots of great looking trucks with high miles cheap. Everybody says "I need something reliable". Well, what does it cost to rebuild a engine and tranny? Seven grand? They would rather pay an extra thirty.
Meh, paying cash is not bright when your investments are earning 10% and loans are 4%
Old 07-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Meh, paying cash is not bright when your investments are earning 10% and loans are 4%
If you can borrow money at 4 and make 10 with it, you certainly aught to be able to pay cash.

waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 10:02 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
What "investment" do you know of that's guaranteed for the next 7 years at 10%?
Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
What "investment" do you know of that's guaranteed for the next 7 years at 10%?
Who is financing a 35k truck for 7 years? The conversation is pointless - do what makes sense to you. and dont bury yourself
Old 07-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #73 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
If you can borrow money at 4 and make 10 with it, you certainly aught to be able to pay cash.
I have had the money in the bank to cover a truck, but no way in hell am I paying cash for one. Too much shit can happen.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #74 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 109423
Quote:
Who is financing a 35k truck for 7 years? The conversation is pointless - do what makes sense to you. and dont bury yourself
Earlier it was 100k or 60k trucks...... now were back into real numbers.....

35k buys you a new 4x4 with decent options, so your numbers are better than most.
Not to say plenty arent financing 35k at 7yrs....
Go back to riding your Fag Dog Brokeback or whatever the fuck its called.
1990GT50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2018, 10:20 PM   #75 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Don't think I could ever justify buying a new car/truck. Depreciation is just too high. I mean IF I had fuck you money maybe, if I was leasing maybe (not that I would lease- I equate that as rent to own a TV wo ever owning)

My logic with cars is to let someone else with more money or less brains take the hit, then buy it from them at a sensible price. The market lately has fucked that up (cash for cars....)

10 years ago I bought my truck for below market value, in today's market it would sell for just under if not close to what I paid for it back then. would I pay that for it now, hell no- but there are some that would.

I 'know' most people have no clue on the cost beyond the monthly number they are 'ok' with. Very few stop and think, nor know how to do the math .

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in