doctors orders, i have to put the tools down! who here has been there? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
Quote:
Originally Posted by angryblack View Post
At 43 my fucking back is done! Nothing major from what the Doctor can tell. My lower left back muscles pull tight and then i cant walk or do jack diddly squat for weeks at a time. Its been like this for about ten years( the first time i was buffing my van and changing the oil. ) A few times a year it would happen and i would get an unwelcome vacation from work.

For the few here who know me personally you would know that i work like an animal. Ive always worked smart but in my case its just a lot of working smart. Since i was 13 I have been bustin my ass to earn a dollar. Its something I enjoy, gives me self worth, and keeps my brain computer in sync with my body vessel.

In the last year my back has gone out on me 9 times. The last 4 times within the last month and a half. For personal Religious reasons I am not to take any man made medicines. It pains me to say that i have received a steriod shot and the very next week a torridol or whatever the fuck they call it. I have a disdain for needles for when I was younger my brother was gripped by the clutch of Herion, I live every day with the demon who will never leave me because I let my superstructure weaken so I could stop him from being sick when he lost battle after battle in the war of becoming clean. No 9-12 year old should have to shoot up his brother. Luckily for ME and my family he lost his life to HIV/Aids through needle sharing and the Smack didn't take him out.RIP Lonnie AKA Flambo.

I have been fortunate to do small things but my wife helps me around the house and soon we will be seeking a live in Domestic. She has her own health issues to deal with.

Here is the hard nut to swallow. Im at a good place and at the cusp of where i have always wanted to be career wise. I needed a few more years to get the place straight and be able to sit back and relax. I know as well as the next man who is complete that our path can not be controlled by us in its entirety. I truly get that. Sitting at a desk for more than 2 hours is mentally tough for me. As the general in my squad I can no longer slay dragons along side or most importantly Slay the dragons at work in the battlefield that they can not defeat on their own.

My fellow management staff looks at me like i have 6 medusa heads when i try to discuss my emotional issues. (All of them with all due respect are great people but they are not in any way trying to relate or have no interest in labor. MY Job is good with me sitting on my black ass all damn day pointing the finger.)

The issue is clearly within myself. I tried to discuss my options with the VP of Engineering and the typical awesome mutha fucka he is got me to laugh. But he could tell i was holding back the tears. IM FUCKIN DONE! HE wants me to sit on my ass also.

Soo with that being said and my entire crew babysitting me I go home and cry every night. My crew doesn't deserve to have to watch the boss. They do and I love them for that. It reminds me that they actually listen to my complex solutions to the advice they seek and they listen, hear and take heed to what I say.

My main thing is "If you don't take care of yourself then your no good to nobody". I'm like a mix of Dolomite, Marcus Garvey, A shitty street thug, and the Buddha. Yet when shit is real i am very humble with all of that.

Medicine is out of the question. Walking slow is what im focused on mainly because going at my normal speed just hurts too much. BUT ive been changing the same damn U-joint in my van since 10 am and its finally fixed at 1:30.

THe Doc says absolutely No drag racing my cars that pull the wheels up so they are being sold this week. My current trail rig or the next one I build has to have a real suspension seat and 5 point harness. Absolutely NO Personal activities beyond what normal people. You should seen the look on the Doc face when my reply was WAIT, NIKKA WHAT! LOL Meh it is what it is. I am Grateful i can at least wheel. (Drag racing and going fast feeds my brain computer but trail riding for me is deeply spiritual as it the most direct connection I have to Mother Earth and what she Provides US all.)

So with that said/spewed...... Has anybody dealt with the same issue from going from Labor to the desk full time. When i say labor because tgis is pirate I dont mean Guadalupe hanging at the day worker spot because he is doing the right thing to feed his family. Im talking more along the lines of the working Manager/Engineer/tech/mechanic having to be stuck at the desk all day bored with not much to do. The company I work for is great and I am not leaving on my own accord. But they are sending signals toward HR, Director of Operations etc etc. That shit just 8nt me. I could look at it as another challenge (Glass Half Full) but it wasnt in the plans for my retirement plan. (When i retire i am going to full time a program for young urban area gang members etc to help them see that they can walk away from the demons of the streets and actually do life the right way by working their ass of, not looking for handouts and become better members of
society.) Yeah imagine that. Me of all people trying to help a mutha fucka.

So with a mini War and Peace stated above, I need some help in how to overcome the issues i have from having to put the tools down and be the BOSS instead of the BOSS who likes to play the worker.

Thanks Pirate
Look. I can be a dick like Rocdoc
NOODLES is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 04:37 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 82607
I feel for you brother. I am 59 and have had severe back issues for the last 15 years. I have forced myself to do less physical labor and tend to business. I too was an animal since I was 17 years old. Now when my back goes out it lasts for weeks instead of a few days. I have been very careful not to lift or contort in any way to instigate the onset of the pinched nerve and the dreaded dead leg from the herniated discs. I called the spine institute and asked if they had any programs for people in my position with no health insurance, they basically said "bring us 20,500.00 and we'll fix you, have a nice day"!
You do what you have to do, take care of number one more than ever.
Good luck.
I know a few people who have had back surgery, they are better overall but not what I would consider to be "normal", they have both had back surgery twice.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 05:55 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 131502
Went from working on the railroad in the field to a desk job at 42. I was still in good shape but all the older guys were broken down so I took the hint as my knees and hips were starting to let me know something was up.

I really do not like the desk job, in fact I hate it and would rather go out and switch cars and build trains.

But my knees don't hurt anymore and I know I will thank myself in the future.
Frozen ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pavement Challenged

Member # 73465
Your VP was letting you know your brain is more important than your back... You have a crew and if you haven't trained them to do the work that needs to be done then you are failing at that too.

Get on your ass and build your replacements.

Quote:
This country is trying to childproof the world when they should be worldproofing their children.
71PA_Highboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 39564
Those that can, do.
Those that can't, teach.

You're now Bodhisattva. Sell yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rig Rater Score 721
NakedJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 07:12 PM   #31 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
I realize this doesnít exactly answer your question but I want to offer the advice anyways.

I am the same age as you and am a mechanic in my own shop. I know I wonít want to beat up my body too much longer but I have done 2 things that make manual labor much easier at my age. First, I lost a bunch of weight. Going from almost 300 to 215 has made a massive difference.

Second, I bought an inversion table. Taking the weight off your discs and letting everything stretch out and realign for 15-30 minutes a day really helps.
Crap dude, good job losing the weight. I bet it feels good too. I weight 230 at 6í2Ē and couldnít imagine weighting out at 300. I need to shed around 15 pounds
Old 07-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #32 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
I quit the job I had that had enough physicality to it that you could easily get Carpal Tunnel, tennis elbow, sore back muscles etc if you weren't careful and lucky. For a new job I applied for a maintenance, lubrication job and got hired to do more of a desk job. I'm 57 so I said OK, I'll hang out in the temperature controlled shack and work on my mental skills, which need more fine tuning then my physical skills anyway. A lot of it is how you tell yourself to see it, and sometimes shit happens for a reason. Whatever job I have I try and do it to an exceptional level, after 29 years at my old job I was over it. Do that job within your limits the best you can and let the chips fall where they may.
It may be easier to make the best of it than you think.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 199544
Quote:
...My lower left back muscles pull tight and then i cant walk or do jack diddly squat for weeks at a time.

Walk it off Nancy boy

I have nothing to add but I hope you find answers & relief soon-
det107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 08:38 PM   #34 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
I quit the job I had that had enough physicality to it that you could easily get Carpal Tunnel, tennis elbow, sore back muscles etc if you weren't careful and lucky. For a new job I applied for a maintenance, lubrication job and got hired to do more of a desk job. I'm 57 so I said OK, I'll hang out in the temperature controlled shack and work on my mental skills, which need more fine tuning then my physical skills anyway. A lot of it is how you tell yourself to see it, and sometimes shit happens for a reason. Whatever job I have I try and do it to an exceptional level, after 29 years at my old job I was over it. Do that job within your limits the best you can and let the chips fall where they may.
It may be easier to make the best of it than you think.
I had two job offers at the same time. One was traveling half of my state and half of a neighboring state. Tho, not much over night, maybe once a month or so they said. But it was going to be a much more physical job then the current one Iím leaving. I had reservations wether I could tolorate it everyday. I also did not like using my own vehicle hauling around my own tools as well. Even though they had a pretty fair reimbursement program, I wasnít keen on it. It was tough to pass on it for my new desk job using a computer cause I like the traveling to different jobsites everyday part of it. In the end, I think I made the better choice. At least thatís what Iím telling myself anyway.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Yoga and core exercises for the win!!
Yoga at first feels so awkward and tough to accomplish poses and such, but just keep getting after it, it works.
Also just stretching in general!!
Anytime my back starts aching (same issues as guys above, pinched nerve, bulging discs) itís because I have stopped doing these. Making excuses to myself why I stopped (Iím busy, Iím tired.. yada yada)!!
Git after it man!!!
Donít sell anything till you have exhausted all avenues!!!
Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 09:46 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 31658
Quote:
For personal Religious reasons I am not to take any man made medicines.
Thoughts and prayers?
CSmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 09:47 PM   #37 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 7772
My back flares up from time to time with increasing frequency. I think it's auto-immune. Beetus, arthritis, run in my family. My back will stiffen up and the only thing that fixes it is modified sit ups. Meaning I lay on the floor and grunt while tightening my abs.

But lately it hasn't been going away, and I've had more AI type stuff like skin affliction, crusty skin around my joints, etc. So I think my back/nerves are getting attacked by immune system and once the swelling (inflammation) starts it aggravates to full-on sciatica. Sciatica is self-aggravating because the more the nerve is irritated, the more inflamed it becomes, thus irritating it etc. It's debilitating to the degree that for a couple of days I can't even move my right leg and I hobble around like Capt Ahab. It's not even the pain, which is searing and intense. The leg literally won't move, it's not like you can gut it out.

Fuck time.
EverNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2018, 10:39 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 60661
Quote:
Originally Posted by dntsdad View Post
I had these issue for years up until a few months ago. What worked for my was strengthening my core. Turns out because my core was weaker than my lower back muscles, they did all the work and caused pain.

You don't have to do tons of crunches or situps. Google core strengthening or YouTube. Worked for me. I just do the exercises on the living room floor while watching a baseball game or whatever.
This.
I had back trouble all my life until I bought a tire shop.
It took a couple years, but it worked.
Buy an inversion table and do crunches. Whatever it takes. It WILL be worth it!
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 12:12 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 23744
Location: White Mtns., Arizona... it's on the map, just not on any map!
I'm 46 this year... and shit hasn't completely started to fall apart, but it's coming.

Worked like a dog from 18 through 33, hard labor doing house remodels, electrical and the like. At 34 I took a desk job for 9 years. Not all desk, but 70% of the time. Started working out and eating better, took decent care of myself... Then I went back to working with my hands at age 43. Decided I want to flip houses and then built one I am living in now.

Honestly, most days I am sore and feel some pain, but have been pretty lucky to not have any major issues. My right knee is pretty much a joke and my left shoulder is crunchy when I rotate it.

The best thing I have found for my back however is stretching, an inversion table and staying somewhat trim. I have weighed between 170-190 for years and fluctuate in between constantly (currently at 180). Watching my bro in law struggle with back issues for years, and being heavy (like 300 lbs) only validated my choice to stay semi lean and trim. Dropping whatever weight you don't need to carry around with your back helps IMMENSELY!

As for pain meds, I hate them too... I rarely pop any type of pills like aspirin or ibuprofen if I can avoid it. One thing I do supplement with though is a green drink and smoothie on the daily. Might seem odd, but that does help with getting the nutrients I lack in my regular diet. And all the protein you can handle to help feed muscles. Honestly I feel better by just keeping going. The days I sit and veg are the more painful.

All I got. We are all heading there though, so don't feel bummed about taking some desk time man.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:13 AM   #40 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 653210
48 years old , 30 year job shop machinist and millwright, I've recently been "promoted" to the engineering department , I was asked by the head engineer to take the position due to the legit professional engineers not knowing how to actually build things as opposed to design. My biggest problem was not having a pallet of parts to show for my days work. I enjoy working , and still get to go on road jobs ( shutdowns ) occasionally.

I was getting very frustrated learning all the software ( Solid works, Edgecam , Job boss , Uni point ) cause up until 2 years ago I didn't even know how to copy and paste, smashing fingers and burning arms was what I have been doing since I was 12.

You will get use to office work, it will save your body , and you'll be able to do things after work to feed the beast. You need to find the reward in the knowledge and experience you bring to the job. What seems like the obvious answer to you is a mystery to the un informed. Take pride in what you've done and know, that without you it wouldn't happen.

I was very frustrated . The president of the company came and explained it :

" Its a new set of tools for your toolbox..in fact , its a new toolbox all together "
Old 07-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 3937
I put down the wrenches three years ago (at 40) due to several reasons, but the primary reason was what it was doing to my body. I am extremely overweight and have fought with it all my life. Combine that with developing plantar fasciitis bad enough that I couldn't walk, developing carpel tunnel in both hands that is so bad I can't hold anything for more than a minute before my hands go numb I started to see the writing on the wall and knew my body wasn't going to take it much longer. I now work part time as a maintenance supervisor for a Gold's gym. It still allows me to fix things, but I'm not overworking myself on a daily basis. I don't want to get to the point that I am forced to stop doing physical work so I am doing what I can to prevent my body from falling apart further. I did start loosing weight until a bad fall on black ice took me out last winter. I'm just now getting to were I can handle enough physical activity to get back to walking 3 miles a day. I know its not much but when you are as fat and lazy as I have become, you have to start somewhere.
I'm not sure how I would have felt had I been forced to stop, but I am happy I made the decision for myself. My quality of life has greatly improved and shows no signs of the continued downward spiral it was on for the last decade. Good luck whit whatever route you choose. I know the road ahead is going to be rough, but it still beats the alternative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
Crap dude, good job losing the weight. I bet it feels good too. I weight 230 at 6í2Ē and couldnít imagine weighting out at 300. I need to shed around 15 pounds
Don't forget to add 6% to compensate for the BKA. You may be 230 but you look 244.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 226216
doctors orders, i have to put the tools down! who here has been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flecker View Post
I'm 46 this year... and shit hasn't completely started to fall apart, but it's coming.

Worked like a dog from 18 through 33, hard labor doing house remodels, electrical and the like. At 34 I took a desk job for 9 years. Not all desk, but 70% of the time. Started working out and eating better, took decent care of myself... Then I went back to working with my hands at age 43. Decided I want to flip houses and then built one I am living in now.

Honestly, most days I am sore and feel some pain, but have been pretty lucky to not have any major issues. My right knee is pretty much a joke and my left shoulder is crunchy when I rotate it.

The best thing I have found for my back however is stretching, an inversion table and staying somewhat trim. I have weighed between 170-190 for years and fluctuate in between constantly (currently at 180). Watching my bro in law struggle with back issues for years, and being heavy (like 300 lbs) only validated my choice to stay semi lean and trim. Dropping whatever weight you don't need to carry around with your back helps IMMENSELY!

As for pain meds, I hate them too... I rarely pop any type of pills like aspirin or ibuprofen if I can avoid it. One thing I do supplement with though is a green drink and smoothie on the daily. Might seem odd, but that does help with getting the nutrients I lack in my regular diet. And all the protein you can handle to help feed muscles. Honestly I feel better by just keeping going. The days I sit and veg are the more painful.

All I got. We are all heading there though, so don't feel bummed about taking some desk time man.

I do a green drink and red drink as well. Green for the anti inflammatoryís i miss from not eating like a rabbit and a red drink for the cardiovascular help it provides. That plus 25g protein morning and afternoon and 3/4-1 Gallon of water consumed a day and I feel better than ever. Right ankle, knee and shoulder are fucked but by keeping slim and the inflammation to a minimum I can get by just fine. Hell, I still jog/shuffle a mile or 2 about once a week & do a light work out 3-4 days a week. Since I got diagnosed with the Lyme i have switched to a Paleo light diet to help with the inflammation and cutting bad sugars. (Paleo light to me is allowing me to have a scotch or 2 during the week and eat what I want when we go out to eat 3-4 days a month.)

Feed your body what it needs and you will feel better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by thefishguy77; 07-30-2018 at 08:15 AM.
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 18283
look into chiropractic. realize that not all chiropractors practice the same type of chiropractic medicine so get multiple opinions.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 19251
Ive been in the position of bags on and go go go to just pointing fingers due to various injuries over the years, back issues, lacerated fingers, blown shoulders ext ect. Like you, the company was always fine with it but it absolutely drove me nuts. It was too difficult to just direct traffic and I always set my recovery back by trying to do the work.

Transitioning from a worker bee to a queen bee is a tough one to handle.
microtus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 09:01 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Is this gonna put hinder your BDSM adventures
Old 07-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 182553
I am 28 and getting back surgery at the end of sept. I herniated my disc (l5, t1) so bad it sits on my sciatic nerve. I have days I cant get up out of bed and other days im fine as wine. ive had 6 shots in back. tons of therapy massages you name it. ive done damn near everything outside seeking a witch doctor.
Old 07-30-2018, 04:41 PM   #48 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 142394
You guys are right. Today was a tough fuckin test if ever. I realized that the production staff had my back.

I've got a crew of noobies and one leaving that well. He is leaving (worlds smallest violin). My crew is generally stepping up. During the day i read this thread a few times.

My weight is down to 185 and at 6'3 and as a brother i cant get any smaller. I don't need any thugs asking me am i all right. LOL(crackhead reference)

I'm still selling the drag cars. In 43 years i have never let anyone touch any of my shit. Except for replacing the engine in my van.

I can walk around the facility to get some exercise. I've taken multi vitamins every day for the last 20 years, we are making our own juice from raw fruit instead of Kool Aid. getting a second opinion also.

I'm going to the DR to discuss my Xrays to morrow afternoon. A resolution is all i want. If medicine is needed then i will learn to live with it.
It seems to be more emotional and mental for me
Support from fellow Brethren helps a lot. It really does.

Last edited by angryblack; 07-30-2018 at 04:42 PM.
angryblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 80349
Just curious on what kind of xray you had taken? Did they take one of your upper spine/neck region while looking down?
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #50 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
You guys are right. Today was a tough fuckin test if ever. I realized that the production staff had my back.

I've got a crew of noobies and one leaving that well. He is leaving (worlds smallest violin). My crew is generally stepping up. During the day i read this thread a few times.

My weight is down to 185 and at 6'3 and as a brother i cant get any smaller. I don't need any thugs asking me am i all right. LOL(crackhead reference)

I'm still selling the drag cars. In 43 years i have never let anyone touch any of my shit. Except for replacing the engine in my van.

I can walk around the facility to get some exercise. I've taken multi vitamins every day for the last 20 years, we are making our own juice from raw fruit instead of Kool Aid. getting a second opinion also.

I'm going to the DR to discuss my Xrays to morrow afternoon. A resolution is all i want. If medicine is needed then i will learn to live with it.
It seems to be more emotional and mental for me
Support from fellow Brethren helps a lot. It really does.
At 185 you donít need to lose any weight. Definitely get a second or even 3rd opinion. Also, look into turmeric.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in