Ketogenic Diet - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2018, 12:02 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 94825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welby View Post
With however much respect is due, when you're that fucking fat that you need to lose well over triple digits, anything positive you do is going to shed it quickly. See how easy it is when you get within light years of an optimal weight for your height, then continue that
I have. I maintain a weight of 200 to 215, depending on the season at work. Lot easier to expend calories duri g harvest or planting than the slow season. Started at 386.

And at 6'3" 210 is a very healthy weight. I got as low as 192.6 and I looked emaciated.

Last edited by RedPurdueYJ; 07-31-2018 at 12:03 PM.
RedPurdueYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 12:20 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 103621
You cant compare one person to another. everyone is different and everyone loses/gains weight at a different rate by using different methods. If you really wanted to compare apples to apples, then do use the methodology like on the Biggest Loser, a percentage of weight loss. Puts things on a somewhat even playing field.

Also who gives a flying fuck how someone loses weight? If they are, and its makes them healthier, then i say keep doing you.

On a personal note, ive been overweight (wount say a fat fuck) since i got out of HS and let myself go. Ive yo-yo'd over the past 15 years and gained 50lbs, lost 40, gained 50, lost 50, etc. I have a body that can lose weight rather quickly. Im back on the losing weight wagon again. On June 19th i was 257lbs (fattest ever recorded was 276). I felt miserable and hated life. Ive been doing Intermittent Fasting and a modified cardio-heavy version of P90x 4-5 days a week and am currently down to 233. I set a somewhat aggressive goal to get down to 200lbs by the end of the year. With my IF, i eat 1 meal a day during my lunch break at work and fast for 23.5hrs or so. Once i get to around 215, ill start working in some weight training and eat 2x a day to get a little more protein.

This works for me, but wont for others. As long as it works, who gives a fuck?
Old 07-31-2018, 12:27 PM   #78 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETTINTHERETOY View Post
I am by no means a big guy. 5'7" and usually between 165 and 160lbs with a small belly. July 11th a week before my 40th birthday I hit 165 and decided to go to low carb meals with a goal weight of 155lbs. So I replaced my rather American diet of high carbs/sugars with Meats, eggs, leafy greens, low carb vegetables, cheese, and almonds.

I have a rather active job and mountain bike 22-30 miles a week. My take aways so far: I have no idea if I am in keto, as I have done no testing; I have lost 12lbs, losing 8 lbs of water weight in the first week. I have had some ups and downs as far as energy has been concerned. I do feel slightly weaker on my rides, which I think must be due to the lack of carbs. My portion sizes at meals have gotten smaller and I am full much faster then I was when eating high carbs and sugars. Overall I feel better, less bloated and my stomach has flatten out. I can almost see the potential for abs.

At this point I would like to get down to 150 lbs and start in with some area dedicated strength training. Hardest part has been curbing my sweet tooth. Most nights I would usually have a bowl of ice cream lathered with chocolate syrup. This has been replaced with sugar free jello and dash of whipped cream.

I am interested to see how this continues as my body relearns how to burn fat instead of carbs for fuel.
I'd be willing to bet that your energy is low because you aren't actually in ketosis. Your body is just carb-starved. The test strips are pretty cheap. You can order them on Amazon. Your body won't produce the ketones necessary to convert fat into energy until it reaches ketosis.

If you have a sweet tooth, there are all kinds of "fat bombs" made with stevia or other zero-carb sweeteners that should satisfy your cravings.
Old 07-31-2018, 12:45 PM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 94747
“Fad” is only a thing for those that don’t or can’t commit. 8 years ago I was struggling to lose weight. I had cut sugar out 100% and was going to the gym for an hour to an hour and a half 5 or 6 days a week. On my heaviest day I tipped the scale at 229 pounds, I’m 6’-3”. After working hard counting calories etc and not getting the results I wanted, I got a dietitian. He had me go to “paleo” for a while. It worked immediately and I dropped from 229 to 185 in a few months and the only thing I had changed was food.

That was about the time my marriage was falling to pieces. So I quit going to the gym and stopped counting calories but held onto the “diet” that was my new way of life. Had no problem keeping the weight off, all while still guzzling beer like the town drunk. Stayed in the low 190’s for about 6 years. Then I gave up the paleo/keto type lifestyle and went back to eating everything, pasta pizza bread donuts and just everything carbs. I knew I felt like crap even though I’m extremely active. Then a couple months ago I stood on the scale and was at 209 pounds. I decided that second I wasn’t going to hit 210. So I went back to paleo/keto properly and lost 18 pounds in less than 60 days with not 1 workout. I felt better within the first two weeks energy wise as well. I get my blood tested every year and I’m exactly where I want to be in every single box. This may be considered anecdotal fad results but I can repeat and maintain the results for years! And I still drink beer like a college kid.

So for the guys suggesting living on processed carbs “just eat less and work out more “ why? Seriously why would anyone do that? What if people can weigh less and eat 3000 calories a day? That’s literally what one can do if you cut carbs and sugar. Today I weigh 191 and I haven’t worked out in 5 years.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 7287
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ View Post

And at 6'3" 210 is a very healthy weight. I got as low as 192.6 and I looked emaciated.
Much respect due!
Old 07-31-2018, 01:27 PM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 26270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
I'd be willing to bet that your energy is low because you aren't actually in ketosis. Your body is just carb-starved. The test strips are pretty cheap. You can order them on Amazon. Your body won't produce the ketones necessary to convert fat into energy until it reaches ketosis.

If you have a sweet tooth, there are all kinds of "fat bombs" made with stevia or other zero-carb sweeteners that should satisfy your cravings.
I will pick up some of the test strips tonight after work. Thanks for the info!
GETTINTHERETOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #82 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETTINTHERETOY View Post
I will pick up some of the test strips tonight after work. Thanks for the info!
Don't waste your money. Figure out your macros and cut your carbs to <25g you will be in Ketosis within a few days. You'll know.
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 01:38 PM   #83 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
or want a beer....

I like beer.
Try it and drink the beer, you might be surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
He said "change my mind" but came in here with a closed one. I wouldn't bother.
This^

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
We all process food differently and science has yet to figure out the details of why. But to say that calorie in vs calorie out is the end all answer is straight up wrong. It might be the answer for some, maybe even most, but it's not the answer for everyone.
Also this. While no one is changing KY jelly's mind I understand completely. I have 3 brothers that eat whatever they want and are skinny AF. If I eat 1/2 what they do I'd be 240 pounds in a year. My little brother Kevin who is a member here is 6'-0" and weighs 160 pounds. Doesn't exercise and literally eats whatever he wants whenever he wants. Here I am eating zero processed foods zero sugar and struggle to keep it under 200.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #84 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
how can you tell someone is on the keto diet?

they'll tell you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #85 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post

they'll tell you
Just like Crossfitters...starts in the bathroom for some selfies and ends on their social media page.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2018, 01:51 PM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 70825
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
So, what's different? Similar energy expenditure, similar muscle mass, I put on more fat if I eat carbohydrates. Is a high-fat diet for everyone? No, just like a low-fat diet isn't for everyone. People need to find what works and go with it. We all process food differently and science has yet to figure out the details of why. But to say that calorie in vs calorie out is the end all answer is straight up wrong. It might be the answer for some, maybe even most, but it's not the answer for everyone.
I would bet everyone knows of at least 1 person who can eat whatever they want, never exercise and never gain a pound. That's just accepted by everyone that those people exist, because its easy to see. Why is it so hard to accept that the opposite is true?
Old 07-31-2018, 01:52 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:

they'll tell you

It's not a fad! ITS MY LIFE BRO!! I just stripped this morning and I'm fully-keto-madness right now!

Be fat, be skinny, who gives a fawk. Be happy. Get there however you can.
Old 07-31-2018, 02:11 PM   #88 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Just like Crossfitters...starts in the bathroom for some selfies and ends on their social media page.
and vegans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 04:59 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 13654
you dont have to go on full keto, most Americans have a ton of weight to lose that will easily fall off by simply cutting out fatty carbs and all sugar for a few months.

Once you plateu youve got to get more focused of course.
Weightlifting helps tremendously as well, having more muscle mass burns more calories all the time
Old 08-01-2018, 05:23 AM   #90 (permalink)

Member # 16722
Quote:
and vegans
and home brewers
Old 08-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #91 (permalink)

Member # 146689
I've flirted off an on with keto, paleo, lchf for a while. My old man stumbled onto Dr Jason Fung and his weight loss diabetes reversal protocol and started it. He lost 150# so far (500# was his catalyst for finally getting serious) and 8s completely off his diabetic medication and has normal a1c and fasting and post prandial blood sugar, my mom the same. My blood sugar was usually borderline and after seeing how.quickly he lost it I got on the wagon too. The ketosticks say I'm in ketosis most of the time, I've lost probably 50# since my heaviest and my blood sugar is consistently normal when I test it. I'm almost wearing a pair of shorts I bought that I couldn't even pull on in Jan, now they're just a half inch or.so from wearing comfortably.
My typical eating plan:
Mon - fast
Tue - eat within an 8 hour window
Wed - fast
Thur - eat within 8 hour window
Fri - eat one meal and maybe a snack
Sat - eat within an 8 hour window
Sun - eat within an 8 hour window

I still occasionally drink beer and have some carbs on the weekend, probably.why my.resulfs aren't better, but it's a lifestyle for me now so I don't get the diabeetus. So a few speed jumps along the way aren't a big deal. I recommend the diet and specifically recommend Dr Fungs approach. His books give a good background as to why the CICO model doesnt work for most people.

Infigufe if I don't have any beer this weekend those goddamned shorts will fit next week! I weigh myself then
Old 08-01-2018, 07:21 AM   #92 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 143323
I started the carnivore diet a few weeks ago. Great results so far with how I feel, energy is up and steady, I no longer craves snacks. Just 2 meals a day, breakfast and dinner. I am not heavy at all as I am 5’6” 175 with a stocky build. Waist size has been between 31-33” for the last 20years. I am currently down to 162 as of this morning and waist size is closer to 31 currently. I plan to continue this diet till my vacation starts 8/25 and then ease off for the week and see how I feel. Plan to get blood work around that time to see where my numbers are. The sugar and carb craving were tough day 2-4 but have been fine for the last couple of weeks. Amazed at how full I feel during the day, no hunger at work which has always been my weakness and I would usually grab some junk food. If it comes from an animal I can eat it, it’s that easy.
Get a sitter and take her somewhere nice. Obviously "nice" is reliant on budget, as my nice might be crawfish and draft shiner at a dive bar followed by rough backseat sex parked behind Gander Mountain- whereas your nice will probably differ from that.
bjordan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 60349
I don't understand the benefits versus a balanced diet. Since I started paying attention to balanced macros, I have gained weight and lost fat. I've been lifting more after being stuck at about the same weights for 6 months. Perhaps to each their own, but if I decide to have a piece of bread or a beer or two this weekend, I'm not fooked. In fact, if I go with the kids for ice cream one day, the next day I'm hitting PRs and feeling pretty great.
ndsgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 08:24 AM   #94 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
and vegans
And anyone who “cut the cord”
Old 08-01-2018, 08:59 AM   #95 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsgr View Post
I don't understand the benefits versus a balanced diet. Since I started paying attention to balanced macros, I have gained weight and lost fat. I've been lifting more after being stuck at about the same weights for 6 months. Perhaps to each their own, but if I decide to have a piece of bread or a beer or two this weekend, I'm not fooked. In fact, if I go with the kids for ice cream one day, the next day I'm hitting PRs and feeling pretty great.
Read the below post again. This is how it works. It's not that what you're doing is wrong, and too many in here are trying to say this diet is bullshit and theirs is the only way, when they both can work. Keto simply quickly targets your body's fat reserves and flat out stops your body from burning carbs as fuel. Unused carbs are stored as fat. If you're working out and burning them, just about any diet will work for you as long as you're not eating more than you can burn.

But, if I wanna lose weight with zero physical activity and not getting hungry constantly, eating half of what I normally do flat out sucks. At least I don't starve on the keto diet. And since my body is already running on fat, dipping into my reserves isn't even noticeable like when you run out of carbs and your body screams to replenish them.

(not advocating not working out, but it is extremely easy to lose weight on this diet and not exercise)

FWIW, I've had carby beers, and even eaten a piece of sugar laden cake and it didn't throw me out of ketosis before. Everyone is different though. Some people are kicked out of ketosis from a simple light beer while others can have 50 grams of carbs or even more per day and stay in ketosis. I think overall body mass has a lot to do with that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jut View Post
Body fat is not carbs and does not get converted to glucose like ingested carbs do. to burn body fat, your body has to convert it to ketones. Your body cannot switch from burning glucose to ketones instantly, so if you are eating a lot of carbs, but less than you are burning, your body runs out of fuel before it can start making more from fat reserves. You get hungry, real hungry, hungry for carbs, so you eat carbs, lots of them, before your body can switch to burning fat/ketones. It's a vicious cycle and it usually doesn't lead to weight loss without a lot of will power and exercise.

When you eat minimal carbs, your body switches to this ketogenesis state where it burns fat converted to ketones as fuel. But it does this everyday and doesn't ever enter the carb as fuel state so it doesn't crave carbs. This means if your body runs our of fat/fuel from food, it simply starts burning fat reserves.
This is also why you'll see a lot of folks on this diet fasting without issue. I normally don't eat anything until around 10 AM because I'm just not hungry yet, and that's a good thing, since you burn the most right after you wake up. Now, I personally can't fast for an entire day, but not eating breakfast because I just don't feel like I need it isn't uncommon.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 08-01-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 60349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
Read the below post again.
Peace. I guess I would have to try it to understand the "not needing will power" part. I lost 30lbs about 5 years ago because I reformed my self discipline, which in turn, reformed my diet.

Perhaps keto for some is long term, but I don't see the sustainability. For example, my neighbor refused to eat bbq chicken because of the sauce and fear he would lose his keto high. Fine, good for him and he's doing alright. At the same BBQ, I had two beers (DIPAs - high carb), cake, chips with guac, etc. I just know that the rest of the week, I'm on my regular diet of balanced macros. I was actually down 2lbs at the end of the week; which says I didn't intake enough throughout the week.

I'm not bagging on the keto thing at all. Whatever works for you, great! I think we can all agree that diet is 95% of the game, however that looks. You'll never out work a bad diet. Proof is watching all the fatties at the gym on the treadmill/bike/elliptical for hours everyday; still fatties.

Related, but comical IMO are my coworkers when we travel. They will eat like shit all week, but at the airport on the way home they'll get a side salad with iceburg lettuce (almost zero nutritional value) along with their massive burger, fries and coke. "I've tried everything, but can't lose the weight."
ndsgr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 AM   #97 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsgr View Post
Peace. I guess I would have to try it to understand the "not needing will power" part. I lost 30lbs about 5 years ago because I reformed my self discipline, which in turn, reformed my diet.

Perhaps keto for some is long term, but I don't see the sustainability. For example, my neighbor refused to eat bbq chicken because of the sauce and fear he would lose his keto high. Fine, good for him and he's doing alright. At the same BBQ, I had two beers (DIPAs - high carb), cake, chips with guac, etc. I just know that the rest of the week, I'm on my regular diet of balanced macros. I was actually down 2lbs at the end of the week; which says I didn't intake enough throughout the week.

I'm not bagging on the keto thing at all. Whatever works for you, great! I think we can all agree that diet is 95% of the game, however that looks. You'll never out work a bad diet. Proof is watching all the fatties at the gym on the treadmill/bike/elliptical for hours everyday; still fatties.

Related, but comical IMO are my coworkers when we travel. They will eat like shit all week, but at the airport on the way home they'll get a side salad with iceburg lettuce (almost zero nutritional value) along with their massive burger, fries and coke. "I've tried everything, but can't lose the weight."

There is no food that you can't have on Keto, if you can fit it in your macros then eat it.

Your guy was probably afraid of the sugars. Some people get too militant about it
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 AM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 81619
Quote:
and vegans
And Texans

1st Recline Bn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 2042
I have been doing keto for about two months now. However I have cheated at times when the keto food options are low or non-exsistant. Although during those days I watch what I eat that day and the next to try to account for the carbs on the cheat day. Even with cheating I am down 23lbs. My energy levels are higher, I am much more alert and overall I feel much better on keto.

My co-worker started a few weeks after I did as well and she is finding the same results, although she is much more strict.

So far I would highly recommend it as a life change! Not only does it help with losing weight and the way you feel, there have been cases where it helps health issues as well.

I didnt read all posts, but for those who want more info or to understand it better, the movie on Netflix called "The Magic Pill" has good info.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #100 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockota View Post
or want a beer....

Have a few friends doing Keto.. Some for weight loss, but mostly to feel better. They've all consistently stated that they feel better, sleep better and don't have the "crashes" associated with carbs.

I'm tempted.

I like beer.

That my thing as well. I am paleo-lite. I like scotch and beer and want to be able to eat what I want when we go out.

But cutting processed foods out makes a HUUGGGEEEEE difference. That and exercise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in