KOH Change - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #76 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
They moved EMC and UTV's back and added an invitational 30 truck race on Thursday.

Lotta moving parts this year.
Manufactures Cup
Triple Crown
Now an expo truck race pushing the the regular working man races to early in the week.

I think I got in right before the big $ took over. Now you need to spend $100k a year in race expenses and refreshed parts just to have a chance in 4400. Even in the other classes the purpose built class cars with a $100k in parts are faster than most the 4400 field. The actual 'every man' can't compete.
The schedule is not on the ultra4 site yet. Do you know what day the moved the emc to? I really only care about the emc and the 4400 races.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:06 AM   #77 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Thanks captain obvious
I think you would be amazed at how many people this is not obvious to. I have personaly seen people arguing with course workers that it is public land and they as tax payers should not be kept off any of it for any reason. Lots of talk about it in old threads here to but go ahead and pontificate about what is obvious. Just because you have a brain and common sense does not mean others do as well.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:07 AM   #78 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar7 View Post
The schedule is not on the ultra4 site yet. Do you know what day the moved the emc to? I really only care about the emc and the 4400 races.
Wednesday.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:20 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonstart View Post
All of these threads complaining about the costs are pretty lame IMO. Might as well complain that you cannot compete in Nascar or F1 while your at it.
Bullshit. This thing started only a few years ago with rigs that we all own. We could compete. NASCAR was that way many years ago. F1, well thats a whole different thing.

You don't think the good ol boys had these same feelings when Nascar left the beach and went to paved tracks? You don't thing Nascars soul is gone, whitewashed with millions of dollars? Congrats to Dave, this is his dream/goal. That doesn't mean that we have to like it.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:15 AM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Yep, I believe the following 2 years he continued to race his Toyota as it evolved to be coiloverd and what not before stepping it up.
Cody's Hilux never changed. He in fact still has it and randomly rec. wheels it. He raced two years in the Toyota and then had Dan Trout build him a 4400 car that he raced for a few years. He sold it earlier this year (just after KOH) and bought Loren Healy's Red Dragon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
Speaking from no experince, going to KOH and putting up with bs tech inspectors, spending 5 grand on racing safety shit and then having no chance to win seems stupid.

My thought would be to go to the event as a spectator and stay a few days after. I assume they take a day or two to remove all the fences and cones. After that, isn't it just desert? Can't you just drive the same course to your hearts content?

One question, what does a one race insurance cost?
Seeing as you have no experience you fail to understand that there are no "bs tech inspectors". For the amount of time, money and resources it takes to build and prep a car for any race, there is no excuse why your car doesn't pass tech other than you, yourself failed to build it properly. All the requirements are lined out in the rule book. If you have any questions on how a rule is interpreted, JT is a text message or phone call away with the official answer. They give you (right up until your race starts) the opportunity to fix anything on the car that doesn't meet tech. The few that fail and are not allowed to race are those that under build their cars (1 3/4" tube on a car weighing over 4100lbs), the random guy that just can't scrounge up the last minute part he should have never left out or the ones that should have never shown up in the first place. Tech isn't as way to deny people their chance of having fun, it's a way to insure everyone that participates is equipped with everything needed to have as safe of a race as possible.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 08:35 AM   #82 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
Cody's Hilux never changed. He in fact still has it and randomly rec. wheels it. He raced two years in the Toyota and then had Dan Trout build him a 4400 car that he raced for a few years. He sold it earlier this year (just after KOH) and bought Loren Healy's Red Dragon.

It evolved some.... I'm 99% it was him that rolled next to me in turn 1 at the norcal rock race in 15ish and it had coilovers
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #83 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by ky scrambled View Post
Bullshit. This thing started only a few years ago with rigs that we all own. We could compete. NASCAR was that way many years ago. F1, well thats a whole different thing.

You don't think the good ol boys had these same feelings when Nascar left the beach and went to paved tracks? You don't thing Nascars soul is gone, whitewashed with millions of dollars? Congrats to Dave, this is his dream/goal. That doesn't mean that we have to like it.
They have Lemons races for cars. You should start one for offroad, and then we could all like it. You could call it Offchoad.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #84 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
They have Lemons races for cars. You should start one for offroad, and then we could all like it. You could call it Offchoad.
Similar to brophy lites?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:48 AM   #85 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Similar to brophy lites?
Have to ask him. He's the expert on what racing should be.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 AM   #86 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Have to ask him. He's the expert on what racing should be.
You don't feel like anything I said is true?

Maybe you can just respond with a racing quote about how expensive stuff is that you read somewhere.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #87 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Racing costs money.
Overtime, that money requirement grows.
duh.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #88 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Shit I can't even afford Bro-lytes or Lemons racing
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
It evolved some.... I'm 99% it was him that rolled next to me in turn 1 at the norcal rock race in 15ish and it had coilovers
Cody's toyota is still on leaf springs right now. Like right now right now.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 09:03 AM   #90 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Cody's toyota is still on leaf springs right now. Like right now right now.
Hmm
Old 08-02-2018, 09:08 AM   #91 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
You don't feel like anything I said is true?

Maybe you can just respond with a racing quote about how expensive stuff is that you read somewhere.
What you said was incomplete. I don't know of any form of racing that has not evolved. Pining for stock car races on the beach is just a hopeless thought.

Shit, look at the race horses from the 30's vs. the overbred monsters of today.

Maybe you can find the original author of "Speed costs money...", so I can give him proper credit.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #92 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:

Agree but at some point people need to put up or shut-up. If you want to race and don't like what KOH has turned into then start a series, etc. We did here for Baja racing. If you don't want to do that, quit bitchin and enjoy it.

We had a Ultra 4 class but hardly anyone showed up. Some was due to people got tired of breaking expensive parts and the other is most seem to just want to race on the regular desert track the rest run on. Which is weird cause they are not as fast as either mod or pro classes and not setup for it.

Seems if you had a large tire 4 wheel drive U4 car you would want to race on a track that requires that equipment in a few sections. Just getting passed by Mod and Pro trucks does not seem fun.

There are exceptions but out of the 8 years of offering U4 classes with 4 races a year, so 32 races, there has only ever been 1 U4 that dominated everyone for half the race until it broke and generated 16k engine.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #93 (permalink)

Member # 75858
My good friend @JohnnyJ told me back when he was racing 4500, “it didn’t take me very long to figure out that my well built trail rig was a poorly built race rig”.

To me, that about sums it up. Racing will evolve and continuously get more expensive. Especially when big dollars enter the picture.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #94 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
What you said was incomplete. I don't know of any form of racing that has not evolved. Pining for stock car races on the beach is just a hopeless thought.

Shit, look at the race horses from the 30's vs. the overbred monsters of today.

Maybe you can find the original author of "Speed costs money...", so I can give him proper credit.
I hear ya there but evolving isn't always good. Thats all Im saying. I'll just keep this form for the next discussion.

"I dont like what they have done with _______"

"then start your own _______"
Old 08-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #95 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
I'll just keep this form for the next discussion.

"I dont like what they have done with _______"

"then start your own _______"

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #96 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 80862
Quote:
Crossing the line after time isn't finishing. It's a DNF. But a full framed, full bodied Jeep on 37's with a 5 speed trans and stock 4.0l did finish EMC and KOH that year.

I was bummed to see the race moved. But this a business for Dave. It's 100% about making money. KOH is still a blast, the bigger it gets, the less freedom we have at the event, and that's a lot of the draw of KOH.

Mike Johnson #43 7 time EMC KOH finisher, 6 top 5's

Last edited by hurleygo3; 08-02-2018 at 04:29 PM.
hurleygo3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 01:18 PM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 75858
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurleygo3 View Post
KOH is still a blast, the bigger it gets, the less freedom we have at the event, and that's a lot of the draw of KOH.
This ^^. I've made the 40 hour drive from Michigan 3 times and had planned to make it in 2019 but with the stories of last year's reduced rec wheeling and now this, I won't be going. I'm sure no one will care and that's ok too.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:49 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 853704
I am just happy you all can still build a car in your garage and race the biggest race in the industry. Regardless of who you know, who your Daddy is, or what corporation you might own. As long as that is KOH, we all still have a chance.

I've wasted a lot of good money and time making memories I will recall for a lifetime.
Racing is an expensive addiction that can leave you feeling great remorse, steal your financial freedom and strain relationships. It can also generate moments you can look back on with great pride.

The big question is not the cost, but the value? Is it worth it to race against the best rocksports personalities, in the biggest off-road race in North America, or do you feel happy watching from the sideline? ( I could beat those guys if I had that kind of money or sponsors?)

If it is worth it, you can find the money. The costs are irrelevant.

KOH built from a handful of people who wanted to go fast in Rock Crawlers. Nothing is stopping a handful of people who want to go fast in Rock Crawlers from meeting on a lake bed on any other weekend.

Of course I am just a stupid newb.
Jeff Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2018, 01:56 PM   #99 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Knoll View Post
I am just happy you all can still build a car in your garage and race the biggest race in the industry. Regardless of who you know, who your Daddy is, or what corporation you might own. As long as that is KOH, we all still have a chance.

I've wasted a lot of good money and time making memories I will recall for a lifetime.
Racing is an expensive addiction that can leave you feeling great remorse, steal your financial freedom and strain relationships. It can also generate moments you can look back on with great pride.

The big question is not the cost, but the value? Is it worth it to race against the best rocksports personalities, in the biggest off-road race in North America, or do you feel happy watching from the sideline? ( I could beat those guys if I had that kind of money or sponsors?)

If it is worth it, you can find the money. The costs are irrelevant.

KOH built from a handful of people who wanted to go fast in Rock Crawlers. Nothing is stopping a handful of people who want to go fast in Rock Crawlers from meeting on a lake bed on any other weekend.

Of course I am just a stupid newb.
Somebody send up the bat signal? Ah, the good old days.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #100 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
I'm bummed that the EMC is changing, but that is also because i'm just a spectator.

I agree with the newb knoll above me overall though, i'm very slowly attempting to build a car in my garage and doing it the way I want will put me into classes that I won't ever be competitive against, but it would still be a blasts to spend some money having fun even if i'm just lap traffic for the high end folks.

not that i'd drop 20k to race KOH, but the 'general' guidelines meet pretty much everything else i'd consider going to for much less buy-in. hell, just wheeling the east coast when a regular weekend trail trip can easily run $300 to show to puts some of the smaller series into perspective.

fuck 'em, they can deal with mobile obstacles

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in