Monsanto - a shot to the ribcage - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
trampas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Member # 5433
Location: San Mexico, Ca.
Posts: 66,702
Monsanto - a shot to the ribcage

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...d-13147891.php

"A San Francisco jury ordered chemical giant Monsanto to pay $289 million in damages Friday to a school groundskeeper who got cancer after using Roundup, one of the world's most popular weed killers."


That's a small chuck of change. Let's see how this plays out in the end.


RoundUp; party of one your judge is ready.
__________________
What are we supposed to do with nature, just stare at it? Is it like porn with leaves?
:Philipoff2:

Last edited by trampas; 08-10-2018 at 10:11 PM.
trampas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53453
Location: On the Bottle
Posts: 22,534
Thanks for the Linkslide.
__________________
Quote:
Problem with truffle butter is that it isnt gay st all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29527
Location: WA
Posts: 38,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Thanks for the Linkslide.
He misspelled "ribkage".
__________________
The original Fuckwad Penis.
CrustyJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2018, 10:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
49willys_mogon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Member # 78325
Location: Overland
Posts: 2,152
They say its not gyplhosate DDT or BPA - "we must challenge the whole damn system.
Well tell that to the millions who died from malaria since it's been banned.

It is SF and this lawsuit is similar to the ones brought by cities with regards to climate change and the oil companies. Just another fishing expedition and making it harder for people like us to keep the weeds and bugs out or paying more to do so. Been awhile since I needed to spray for bugs and last week I couldn't find anything I used to get at any stores.

My 88 year old uncle worked for the seed company of yesteryear called Ferry Morse the equivalent of Monsanto today and sold seed and herbicide in the southwest and into Mexico for years before farming himself in Sacramento and Oregon. He's has never had any cancer. He has had 5 hip surgeries and has lost all to his teeth due to the pain pills he's taken over the years.
49willys_mogon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2018, 10:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rednek
 
billybob_81067's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Member # 52387
Location: Rocky Ford, Colorado
Posts: 8,649
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Meh... I'll still use it. Cancer is better than weeds!
__________________
The one, the only, the Dane.
billybob_81067 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2018, 11:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Member # 7968
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 663
Definitely opinion shopping by being in SF court, not suing in the Midwest where they probably sell 90% of Roundup (made up statistic by me).

Does anyone doubt that weed killers and pesticides are not good for us? No need to bankrupt a company to prove that.
__________________
1983 Toy PU, a few mods, Marlinized, lockerized
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2018, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Random Dude
 
Join Date: May 2014
Member # 467273
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 833
When I was a kid, they striped school fields and kept gravel weed-free by spraying a bit of diesel: long-lasting, cheap, no major down-sides.

Geniuses outlawed the low-tech option so they went to Roundup: comparatively temporary & expensive, and now this (if not bullshit).

Maybe they can return to sparing application of fuel oil, saving a shitload of money and extending service intervals.

Too easy, so it'll never happen
__________________
PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
- The 4th little pig built his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
ExWrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 01:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
The dude abides
 
DEER TICK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Member # 114517
Location: Grass Valley
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Definitely opinion shopping by being in SF court, not suing in the Midwest where they probably sell 90% of Roundup (made up statistic by me).



Does anyone doubt that weed killers and pesticides are not good for us? No need to bankrupt a company to prove that.


No need to bankrupt a company??!! Are you fawking serious? Monsanto is the devil, plain and simple. They want to genetically alter most all vegetable seeds, and patent them. What do you think for? MONEY!! You fawking lame brain. Monsanto will never go bankrupt
__________________
Opinions are like assholes.Everybody has one,and most stink!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DEER TICK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 02:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
BamaJeeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Member # 14620
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 2,535
Monsanto has been covered here before. Search and you will see how much of a shit-bag, asshole, douche company they are.
There was a giant class action lawsuit against Monsanto a few years ago about people getting cancer from roundup.
__________________
Priest "The time has come to liberate the potential of the coming porkappocalypse."
BamaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 02:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 94825
Location: I'm sexy and I know it!
Posts: 10,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEER TICK View Post
No need to bankrupt a company??!! Are you fawking serious? Monsanto is the devil, plain and simple. They want to genetically alter most all vegetable seeds, and patent them. What do you think for? MONEY!! You fawking lame brain. Monsanto will never go bankrupt
Well, it is their research behind the seeds.. How, exactly, are they the devil?

Want the see a devil of a company, research Bunge.

We buy glyphosate (roundup) by the 500 gallon tote.its not a residual, so it doesnt even stick around all that long. I wouldnt bath in the shit, but it's a helluva lot safer than most of the shit we spray on fields.
__________________
[QUOTE=1TON73K5;14686609]Like you have ANYTHING to say with a avatar like that. Pig.[/QUOTE]
RedPurdueYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 02:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
Screwzer2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Member # 38193
Location: Nevada City, CA under a bridge
Posts: 69,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampas View Post
"A San Francisco jury ordered chemical giant Monsanto to pay $289 million in damages Friday to a school groundskeeper who got cancer after using Roundup, one of the world's most popular weed killers."
Gee, do you think Monsanto will appeal?
__________________
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
and Today is a Gift
That's why they call it the Present

—Eleanor Rososevelt
Screwzer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 03:25 AM   #12 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar
 
crowbar7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Member # 346233
Location: Ramona, CA
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ View Post
Well, it is their research behind the seeds.. How, exactly, are they the devil?

Want the see a devil of a company, research Bunge.

We buy glyphosate (roundup) by the 500 gallon tote.its not a residual, so it doesnt even stick around all that long. I wouldnt bath in the shit, but it's a helluva lot safer than most of the shit we spray on fields.
You really need to do some homework they are fucking evil and very powerful politically. If you own a farm and use xyz seed and your neighbor owns a farm and uses monsanto and some of his seed blows over the fence line into your field they will sue you (and win) for stealing from them.

Would you be okay if I was your neighbor and came home drunk and accidentally parked on your property and not mine then you get popped for auto theft? Of course not but that is what they are doing.
__________________
I love God, women and beer
crowbar7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 07:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
CaryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Member # 22104
Location: Northeast Texas
Posts: 30,164
They "skipped line" with this case. The real case with a strict no nonsense judge is still moving forward. They got to skip line because this guy is expeced to die soon.

The judge in the other grouped case seems to be at least fair to both sides. He is not allowing the Greenies to use junk science or Monsanto to use bought and paid for test. The problem is that so one can seem to find any findings that Monsanto doesn't have a finger in.

I will say that the first question my oncologist asked me when I got diagnosed with my rare stain on NHL, was "what do you for a living, this cancer is related to some type of chemical exposure"

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
__________________
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
CaryW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 07:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Member # 53453
Location: On the Bottle
Posts: 22,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryW View Post
I will say that the first question my oncologist asked me when I got diagnosed with my rare stain on NHL, was "what do you for a living, this cancer is related to some type of chemical exposure".
Most are.

Unless you got it from radiation exposure, which is rare for the general public.

The problem is it's really hard to go back and say "Yes, it was when he stuck his hand in the bucket of used motor oil in 1998 that did it." You're exposed to hundreds of carcinogens and mutagens on a daily basis, and while there is clear correlation between exposure to some and cancer, there is still a lot that isn't known.
__________________
Quote:
Problem with truffle butter is that it isnt gay st all

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Member # 94825
Location: I'm sexy and I know it!
Posts: 10,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar7 View Post
You really need to do some homework they are fucking evil and very powerful politically. If you own a farm and use xyz seed and your neighbor owns a farm and uses monsanto and some of his seed blows over the fence line into your field they will sue you (and win) for stealing from them.

Would you be okay if I was your neighbor and came home drunk and accidentally parked on your property and not mine then you get popped for auto theft? Of course not but that is what they are doing.

No, they wont. :eyeroll: they will sue you if your corn or beans are cross pollinated from their engineered corn then you store and clean it to use it as seed. That's stealing.
__________________
[QUOTE=1TON73K5;14686609]Like you have ANYTHING to say with a avatar like that. Pig.[/QUOTE]
RedPurdueYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
howyadoin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Member # 84132
Location: Arizona-It's a dry heat!
Posts: 7,777
HOA's will love it when these companies have to change their recipe to something that doesn't work and weed infestation takes over.
__________________
Debating economics with Screwloose is like asking a homeless dude for stock advice.
howyadoin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member # 34865
Posts: 849
Monsanto literally owns the farming market. I mean they own it! They control chemicals, seeds you name it.
We quit using roundup at our school district. And when to a chemical that not only kills the weeds but has a pre emergent in it. It works great. We spray literally miles of fence lines. Everything causes cancer in comafornia. Diesel causes cancer so that old school method is out. Maybe piss on the weeds until they die?
__________________
Lindon, Utah
rockdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 08:39 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
bigun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29037
Location: Mountainair NM
Posts: 13,599
I remember reading that he had been doused several times which read to me like he or somebody he was working with didn't know what they were doing or were screwing around.
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Member # 188393
Location: not even a map dot
Posts: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ
No, they wont. :eyeroll: they will sue you if your corn or beans are cross pollinated from their engineered corn then you store and clean it to use it as seed. That's stealing.
How do you control the bees and breeze? Unless you give them permission, or a sample of your seed how does Monsanto obtain a sample to test? Do they sneak into fields and take them?
__________________
Make a fast friend, adopt a greyhound
conwaymuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 09:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Window Licker
 
bgaidan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Member # 34948
Location: NC Triangle
Posts: 14,648
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar7 View Post
You really need to do some homework they are fucking evil and very powerful politically. If you own a farm and use xyz seed and your neighbor owns a farm and uses monsanto and some of his seed blows over the fence line into your field they will sue you (and win) for stealing from them.

Would you be okay if I was your neighbor and came home drunk and accidentally parked on your property and not mine then you get popped for auto theft? Of course not but that is what they are doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwaymuddy View Post
How do you control the bees and breeze? Unless you give them permission, or a sample of your seed how does Monsanto obtain a sample to test? Do they sneak into fields and take them?

Once upon a time people would educate themselves before shouting their opinion for the world to read. Those times are apparently long gone.


Your homework, if you choose to accept it, is to go read the background on the case your referencing and then come back and explain to the class why it didn't happen the way you're representing it in your posts.
__________________
Quote:
I love Dicks and will continue to shop there.
bgaidan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #21 (permalink)
Green bastard
 
cslimfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 123458
Location: parts unknown
Posts: 6,652
First thing I'm gonna do if I get that shit, cancer is sue monsanto. I worked on a grass seed farm for 13 years and would spray a few hundred gallons every year of it in a cabless tractor and often times covered in that shit. I'm not talking about several hundred gallons of mixed solution, but we'd get those 225(?) gallon square totes of the concentrate and I'd mix and spray out 2 or 3 worth of those. In the spring I used a surfactant called ID90 crop oil and that shit would leave a film on your eyes that was really hard to get rid of and stuff was blurry for days and all sorts of eye boogers from it.
__________________
It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. You take away all he's got, and all he's ever going to have.
cslimfu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
Granite Guru
 
Aggie06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Member # 123554
Location: Portland, TX
Posts: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslimfu View Post
First thing I'm gonna do if I get that shit, cancer is sue monsanto. I worked on a grass seed farm for 13 years and would spray a few hundred gallons every year of it in a cabless tractor and often times covered in that shit. I'm not talking about several hundred gallons of mixed solution, but we'd get those 225(?) gallon square totes of the concentrate and I'd mix and spray out 2 or 3 worth of those. In the spring I used a surfactant called ID90 crop oil and that shit would leave a film on your eyes that was really hard to get rid of and stuff was blurry for days and all sorts of eye boogers from it.


Sounds like your boss should have provided PPE and followed WPS regulations.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
CaryW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Member # 22104
Location: Northeast Texas
Posts: 30,164
I think instructions for residential use was wear eye protections and wash hands
__________________
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
CaryW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Member # 430242
Location: 40°10′23″N 84°58′39″W give or take a second or two
Posts: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ View Post
No, they wont. :eyeroll: they will sue you if your corn or beans are cross pollinated from their engineered corn then you store and clean it to use it as seed. That's stealing.
I'm not sure I understand your thinking here, all theoretical here BUT
If I had 80 acres of NOT MONSANTO beans and I've been saving MY my own seed beans from multiple NON MONSANTO strains for decades.
Your say that if somehow they ended up cross pollinated with a monsato gmo seed strain that I have no control of nor did I want.
That they can sue me if their testing showed MY BEANS HAD BEEN CONTAMINATED by their product at some point along the way? is that what you're saying.

Second question why the fuck would they even be testing my beans anyway and who authorized said test, do I get singled out because I have beans planted but there's NO record of me ever buying from monsanto how does that pass the bullshit test
projectdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
nate379's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Member # 20099
Location: AK
Posts: 5,448
Couple years ago the fuel company dumped 100 gals of fuel by our shop (they broke the pipe going to the heater and it leaked out!).

The grass grows in that area like crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
When I was a kid, they striped school fields and kept gravel weed-free by spraying a bit of diesel: long-lasting, cheap, no major down-sides.

Geniuses outlawed the low-tech option so they went to Roundup: comparatively temporary & expensive, and now this (if not bullshit).

Maybe they can return to sparing application of fuel oil, saving a shitload of money and extending service intervals.

Too easy, so it'll never happen
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.