New job / carrear change ideas - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 25632
Oil fields aren't the only places that require it. Pg&e makes everyone wear them. It's just one of those things that really big companies do to reduce the chance of someone getting hurt and suing.
YotaAtieToo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 06:53 AM   #102 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
That would be my dream job. Tend to a large ranch or park, or something. Fix fences, signs, machines, whatever. Have all my tools in my truck and just drive around fixing things.

Problem is I doubt that type of job would ever pay enough for me to live stress free :-\

https://www.ranchwork.com/jcategory/...mechanic-jobs/
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 06:59 AM   #103 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Hmmm , not horribly far from me and my dream location to live would cut the distance in half....

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...vl%3DMID_LEVEL
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 11:07 AM   #104 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 152210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwzer2 View Post
Coalinga sounds like the absolute worst place to work on a ranch.

No thanks.

Weed patch in the Sierras?

Maybe become a trimmigrant?

Not much equipment needed, except a pair of florist shears.

we've got one between Hollister and Coalinga... 25 is beautiful and secret and old california. There are some really breathtakingly beautiful areas between Coalinga and parkfield too... not many people have actually been there... they think they know it, but they don't really... the JL ranch is a big one down that way and some good people work it... If you enjoy ranching... hot will be part of the ingredients along with cold.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:57 PM   #105 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
we've got one between Hollister and Coalinga... 25 is beautiful and secret and old california. There are some really breathtakingly beautiful areas between Coalinga and parkfield too... not many people have actually been there... they think they know it, but they don't really... the JL ranch is a big one down that way and some good people work it... If you enjoy ranching... hot will be part of the ingredients along with cold.

I grew up hunting the property on 198 where the White Buffalo is. It used to be an old road crew camp that my family bought from the State, twice actually.
One of my favorite places on earth.
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 03:09 PM   #106 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmup View Post
I grew up hunting the property on 198 where the White Buffalo is. It used to be an old road crew camp that my family bought from the State, twice actually.
One of my favorite places on earth.
I guess we were neighbors...sorta. Visalia for Jr & Sr. High school.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #107 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
I dig 25, drove it many times in my 911. Even went to the James Dean memorial out on 46.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #108 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
I guess we were neighbors...sorta. Visalia for Jr & Sr. High school.
My cousins family owned it, Jeff Squire and his sister Jill Squire were our age and they lived in Visalia/Hanford.

They owned about 20K acres on 198. Sold it in the very late 70's and bought 50K acres in Colorado between Meeker and Craig. I lost track of them after that.
rockmup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2018, 08:16 PM   #109 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Hmmm , not horribly far from me and my dream location to live would cut the distance in half....

https://www.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=...vl%3DMID_LEVEL

Contact em and see what a laughably low wage they offer
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
Old 08-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 436537
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusM View Post
City Jobs | City of Santa Cruz

Sheeeeeeeiiiiiiiitttttttttt some of those dont look too bad.
SC churns through entry-level positions pretty regularly as folks show up, then the ridiculous housing costs sink in later. If you're cool with the commute all the way from gilroy or wherever you are, it could work I suppose. If you come in early, the commute is not so bad. Theres just no avoiding hwy 1 south in the afternoon though.

you could get your treatment plant operator certification from the state and work at a treatment plant. plants are often staffed 24/7, so you could get a night shift or something and avoid the traffic. involves a good deal of looking at computers but is hands-on as well. your welding exp might be an advantage if the staff is small enough that operators do maintenance tasks as well
shredator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #111 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredator View Post
SC churns through entry-level positions pretty regularly as folks show up, then the ridiculous housing costs sink in later. If you're cool with the commute all the way from gilroy or wherever you are, it could work I suppose. If you come in early, the commute is not so bad. Theres just no avoiding hwy 1 south in the afternoon though.

you could get your treatment plant operator certification from the state and work at a treatment plant. plants are often staffed 24/7, so you could get a night shift or something and avoid the traffic. involves a good deal of looking at computers but is hands-on as well. your welding exp might be an advantage if the staff is small enough that operators do maintenance tasks as well

Sewage treatment plant operators license is a great moneymaker

Every small town and large factory has one and has to have a certified operator 24/7
And no one wants to work at the poo poo plant

74Bronco EFI 5spd
Old 08-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #112 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
High School Teacher teaching construction/welding etc.

I can get you a preliminary teaching credential in California based on your experience alone by TOMORROW.

Many school districts will bump you up the payscale based on years of experience in your trade. Career Tech classes and programs are having problems finding teachers because no one knows about this type of teaching credential.

Off at 3 everyday, never work weekends, zero stress, 2 weeks off in winter, 1 week off in the spring....and ALL SUMMER OFF PAID.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:15 PM   #113 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Hmm
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2018, 03:20 PM   #114 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Hmm
That is about the same as a teacher in my district.

Salary scale STARTS at $50k and tops at $97k. Teach an extra section (same amount of hours working a day, just no prep period), and that adds 25% more. I know PE teachers making over $100k a year.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:29 AM   #115 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
That is about the same as a teacher in my district.

Salary scale STARTS at $50k and tops at $97k. Teach an extra section (same amount of hours working a day, just no prep period), and that adds 25% more. I know PE teachers making over $100k a year.

I know a couple teachers that also drive the bus

Substantial extra $$$

74Bronco EFI 5spd
Old 08-29-2018, 05:58 AM   #116 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
We have a potable water plant, a shit plant, and an "industrial waste water plant" on the mine property. There are 3 operators working 4 12's all day shift with call outs if something happens on night shift. It's a pretty gravy job most days though last night the guys were here till midnight trouble shooting issues. I know we usually have guys transfer internally into the water treatment jobs and then the company pays for them to get their certs. I'm not sure if most municipalities are this way or if they hire externally.

I taught high school shop for 4 years, it wasn't for me. I might have worked in shitty districts with crappy administrators but there's no way I'd want to deal with the current generation of kids. Helicopter parents and bosses with out back bones who would bend over backwards to please said helicopter parents made the job no fun.
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 09:04 AM   #117 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
So looking into the waste water certifications it looks like you can only get a level 1 without a college education and even then you need a min of 1 year experience.

So I start out scrubbing floors for a year? (Not that I'm above that) and then get my level 1?

How much do these certs mean in the real world? Am I never going to get paid top dollar without a degree or do you just move up based on your actual capabilities?
Old 08-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 436537
if you're interested in pursuing it, gavilan college has a water program that I believe will make you elligible for the state exam(s). Sacramento State offers self-paced home-study courses that will do the same.

go here and read up:
https://www.waterboards.ca.gov/water...certification/

You'll have to decide what area you want to go into, as there are different certs you can get. There is waste (poo) water treatment, but there is also drinking water treatment. There is also distribution, which is not so much working at a plant, but on the system of water distribution mains that run in the steets. basically part of a utility construction crew.

Certifications have multiple levels. there's T1-5 for treatment, D1-5 for distribution. you can skip the "1" level and go straight to 2 with no experience. But you cant advance past 2 without actual field experience.

It can be a good gig because both are the beginning of a career ladder that goes pretty high, for not requiring a college degree if you have the skill and drive to advance to management. Most agencies/municipalities that offer these jobs also have pretty good benefits and somewhat good pensions.

Also you can usually call up an agency that operates a plant, and see if you can talk with an operator or the superintendent. most would be happy to chat, there's a good chance that they don't have anything better to do at that moment. I've heard the plant operator job aptly described as "4 hours of work crammed into a 10 hour shift." that is, most of the time its pretty laid back, but occasionally becomes very busy and stressful when things go wrong.
shredator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2018, 09:21 AM   #119 (permalink)
Need an LS

Member # 23188
Did I mention that you can get that Career Tech teaching credential WITHOUT a college degree? All you need is one US Constitution class at the college level and have a minimum 4 years experience in the field you are going to teach.
Old 08-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #120 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtuleas View Post
Did I mention that you can get that Career Tech teaching credential WITHOUT a college degree? All you need is one US Constitution class at the college level and have a minimum 4 years experience in the field you are going to teach.

Sounds good but I'm not sure teaching would be my thing. I guess I've never really considered it. I dont see myself having any drive to help the 90% that are there
(in a shop class) just to get thier credits and not because they actually care.

Interesting though because our ironworker apprentiship program just became accredited through San Jose state university and most of our classes are taught there, not to far from my house.... well 1 hr away instead of 3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in