lemon law success - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 6156
lemon law success

last nov i bought a Titan XD diesel. great truck until it wasn't.

broke the transfer case, they replaced it, and it was in and out of the shop 4 more times for the "4WD Error" light coming on randomly.

total of 4 trips to the shot, 46 days total. Nissan's first offer was to send a factory guy to inspect the repair. he showed up and we didn't make it 2mi from the dealer on the post "repair" test drive before the light came back.

2 days later they offered a repurchase.

some knowledge of the process in case you have the misfortune of dealing with it:

- file a lemon claim with the BBB Auto Line program ASAP after the second repair. even though you haven't met the requirements of the law it'll help to get it in early.
- be patient. it takes a minute.
- they'll offer a tech to come look. that guy is usually the zone service rep managing multiple dealers and dealing with plenty of real assholes trying to lemon law their vehicles. this guy is the key to the whole thing. be nice, explain your case, ask questions, understand he has a business to protect.

all in all it wasn't too awful. they're buying it back at purchase price including all fees and registration costs minus a little for the 15k miles i put on the truck.

69 Bronco
04 Yukon Denali (beater)
18 Ram 2500
16 4Runner Trail
15 Can Am Commander XT-P
indulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
So did you have buyers remorse or....? I would assume the truck was under warranty and the provided a rental?

I geuss what I'm getting at is it seems like a problem they would have been able to figure out although could have taken some time. If you were putting free miles on an equivelant rental then who cares.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 41789
Good to know. A friend of mine and loyal Nissan owner just had the T-Case go out in his new Titan. Went to put it in 4wd and the system went crazy and the 4WD error light stayed on. Tried to drive it to the dealer and before he could get there it started grinding and barely got there. They put a new T-case in it and sent him on his way.
alk1174 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 10:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
El Conquistador

Member # 208306
Datsuns and Nissans used to be really good rigs, for a Jap rig, those days are long gone .

All I see now are threads like this, nothing but problems, I had a 91 Pathfinder, you could have welded the hood shut, somewhere after that they went to shit, were probably on their way even then .
Valley Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 186552
My friend has been going through a lemon law case with ford over a GT 5.0 mustang.

Something like 86 warranty repair before its 2nd oil change.

Been about an 18 month process, ford finally agreed to buy the car back a few months ago, but they are not making it easy.

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Rock View Post
Datsuns and Nissans used to be really good rigs, for a Jap rig, those days are long gone .

All I see now are threads like this, nothing but problems, I had a 91 Pathfinder, you could have welded the hood shut, somewhere after that they went to shit, were probably on their way even then .
I have an XD and had a first gen Titan before this one.

The XD's have had some issues, but I don't think they're anything you wouldn't expect from a brand new production model. There are a handful of cases like the OP, which tend to be the most vocal and the one's you hear about.

I bought my '16 used with 20k on it because it fit my needs. I hate towing with a 1/2 ton and I didn't want to DD a full 3/4 ton. The "5/8 ton" XD fit the bill. I knew it was a risk going with the first production year chasis and completely new powertrain and I'm still a little weary, but overall I love the truck.

Only issue I've had in the 25k miles so far is cracking the EGR cooler pretty early on. Powertrain and emissions has 100k warranty so I'm not too worried about it. At 100k all that shit will get deleted any way.

My last first gen titan had abouk 230k on it when I traded it in. I didn't do anything beyond oil, tires and brakes on that one. It was definitely getting a little tired and had some gremlins by the time I got rid of it, but it wasn't major shit and probably a lot was just neglected routine maintenance.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
So did you have buyers remorse or....? I would assume the truck was under warranty and the provided a rental?

I geuss what I'm getting at is it seems like a problem they would have been able to figure out although could have taken some time. If you were putting free miles on an equivelant rental then who cares.
2 transfer cases, new trans / tcase computer, replaced all the sensors twice, replaced the wiring from sensors -> computer and the light still comes on randomly.

they did provide a rental (freaking nissan juke), it was under warranty. whenever the 4wd error light came on it killed ABS, traction control, and stability control. truck wasn't safe to tow with and they just can't get it fixed. i liked the truck just fine but i'm not willing to deal with it any longer. i was paying for a truck i can't safely use the way it was intended.

69 Bronco
04 Yukon Denali (beater)
18 Ram 2500
16 4Runner Trail
15 Can Am Commander XT-P
Old 08-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by indulf View Post
2 transfer cases, new trans / tcase computer, replaced all the sensors twice, replaced the wiring from sensors -> computer and the light still comes on randomly.

they did provide a rental (freaking nissan juke), it was under warranty. whenever the 4wd error light came on it killed ABS, traction control, and stability control. truck wasn't safe to tow with and they just can't get it fixed. i liked the truck just fine but i'm not willing to deal with it any longer. i was paying for a truck i can't safely use the way it was intended.

Makes sence
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 79509
I absolutely love the 5.0L Cummins bu design. I cant get over how ugly the XD is.

I've seen a few lemon XD roll through auctions, a manual shift tcase would fix this shit.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post

The XD's have had some issues, but I don't think they're anything you wouldn't expect from a brand new production model. There are a handful of cases like the OP, which tend to be the most vocal and the one's you hear about.

I bought my '16 used with 20k on it because it fit my needs. I hate towing with a 1/2 ton and I didn't want to DD a full 3/4 ton. The "5/8 ton" XD fit the bill. I knew it was a risk going with the first production year chasis and completely new powertrain and I'm still a little weary, but overall I love the truck.

Only issue I've had in the 25k miles so far is cracking the EGR cooler pretty early on. Powertrain and emissions has 100k warranty so I'm not too worried about it. At 100k all that shit will get deleted any way.

My last first gen titan had abouk 230k on it when I traded it in. I didn't do anything beyond oil, tires and brakes on that one. It was definitely getting a little tired and had some gremlins by the time I got rid of it, but it wasn't major shit and probably a lot was just neglected routine maintenance.
the tcase thing is fairly common but usually doesn't result in anything more than swapping out a broken unit. for some reason mine never recovered. i wouldn't have pushed the lemon claim if it had been fixed the first or second time.

69 Bronco
04 Yukon Denali (beater)
18 Ram 2500
16 4Runner Trail
15 Can Am Commander XT-P
Old 08-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I absolutely love the 5.0L Cummins bu design. I cant get over how ugly the XD is.

I've seen a few lemon XD roll through auctions, a manual shift tcase would fix this shit.
yeah it's ugly but it's comfortable, mileage is OK, and it's a shitload cheaper than a ford/dodge/gm.

going to drive my beater yukon for a while and decide what to do once i finish my 69 bronco project. probably a 6.7 ford.

69 Bronco
04 Yukon Denali (beater)
18 Ram 2500
16 4Runner Trail
15 Can Am Commander XT-P
Old 08-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 192722
Quote:
yeah it's ugly but it's comfortable, mileage is OK, and it's a shitload cheaper than a ford/dodge/gm.

going to drive my beater yukon for a while and decide what to do once i finish my 69 bronco project. probably a 6.7 ford.
It was cheaper? HMM Maybe i looked at weird ones but it seemed priced high for not being a 3/4 ton truck and the towing specs weren't that great. I just for a 1 ton dually so the XD wouldn't have worked for me
Landman87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 11:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 200906
Quote:
Originally Posted by not2hye View Post
My friend has been going through a lemon law case with ford over a GT 5.0 mustang.

Something like 86 warranty repair before its 2nd oil change.

Been about an 18 month process, ford finally agreed to buy the car back a few months ago, but they are not making it easy.
Went through this with a 93 f150 over 30 repair attempts. They finally were willing to buy it back if I purchased a new one. Ford then claimed that there were no 93's left and had to pay an upgrade fee to get a 94. It wasn't until I filed a lemon law case with the state were they willing to work with me. It was a fight every step of the way. The experience was so bad that I will never want to own a ford product again.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:

From the driver seat they're great. I wasnt a fan of the rear seat.

Honestly, a late model ~16 6.7L is probably the best used truck on the market.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landman87 View Post
It was cheaper? HMM Maybe i looked at weird ones but it seemed priced high for not being a 3/4 ton truck and the towing specs weren't that great. I just for a 1 ton dually so the XD wouldn't have worked for me
mine is an SV, got it for 32 out the door brand new. big rebates in the small town i used to live in - the dealer couldn't move them.

69 Bronco
04 Yukon Denali (beater)
18 Ram 2500
16 4Runner Trail
15 Can Am Commander XT-P
Old 08-22-2018, 11:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 186552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinvt View Post
Went through this with a 93 f150 over 30 repair attempts. They finally were willing to buy it back if I purchased a new one. Ford then claimed that there were no 93's left and had to pay an upgrade fee to get a 94. It wasn't until I filed a lemon law case with the state were they willing to work with me. It was a fight every step of the way. The experience was so bad that I will never want to own a ford product again.
It took me 18 months to get a blower motor warrantied in my 2012 f250. The dealer flat out lied to me about it not being covered under warranty.
Went to their commercial fleet repair shop (same dealer, different repair facility), told them it has become a safety issue because the windshield randomly fogs up. Picked my truck up the next day with a new blower motor.

They (the consumer shop, not the fleet shop) also made me pay partially to have my DEF heater/level sensor replaced, come to find out, there's a recall on it and they shouldn't have charged me in the first place.

I love my 6.7 but ford is a headache to deal with.

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 159940
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post

Plus when was the last time you broke down on the side of a road, or had to go to a dealer for service or parts?

The whole experience sucks! It's a pain in the ass and takes time out of the day you don't want to spend... After 2-3 repairs I would be bitching for a new one as well!

Though personally I think you and I are in the same boat.. Buy a old truck out of warranty and fix it yourself. I can generally fix a problem in less time it would take to drop the truck off at the dealer.
Talon2006 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 11:52 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
last nov i bought a Titan XD diesel.
So you're the one
Old 08-22-2018, 11:53 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
I have an XD
They sold 2 of them?
Old 08-22-2018, 12:09 PM   #20 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
mine is an SV, got it for 32 out the door brand new. big rebates in the small town i used to live in - the dealer couldn't move them.
Mine's a Pro fully loaded. Was actually close to buying a gasser and then this one popped up used equipped exactly as I would have ordered a new one....4x4, locker, heated/cooled leather, remote start. etc. Paid about $33k with 22k on the clock. Love the ride. Only thing I don't really love is the technology....the stereo/nav unit sucks. Toyota and Nissan both lack in this department. Eventually I'll take a weekend to crack the wiring and install an aftermarket head unit....just need to figure out the steering wheel controls and 360 camera wiring.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:14 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 6156
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
So you're the one
yeah pretty much, but it won't be mine much longer

69 Bronco
04 Yukon Denali (beater)
18 Ram 2500
16 4Runner Trail
15 Can Am Commander XT-P
Old 08-22-2018, 12:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
A buddy bought an Audi A3. Loved that little car, but it had wind noise from the sunroof (when closed) that they couldn't fix. They bought the car back from him and allowed him to upgrade to an A4 for the difference in list price as a % of the upgrade. He said it was near painless.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 12:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
2JZ

Member # 684802
Friend of mine just bought a Dodge 1500. Had steering issues, A/C issues and some other stuff. After about a month of trips to the dealer/griping he got them to "buy" it back 100%. But he had to buy another Dodge. He got a 2500 diesel he's happy with.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 217829
Quote:

I had a 2005 that I bought new and traded it in on a 5.6 XD in January. The 05 never gave me any trouble. I test drove the 5.0 and couldn't believe what a gutless turd it was.
smracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landman87 View Post
yeah, i didnt see that at all either. all the Titans were more expensive compared to the used and similarly amenity equipped dodges i was looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I cant get over how ugly the XD is.

i was thinking about this since someone else posted how ugly it is a couple months ago and i figured it out.

It looks like a beluga whale laying on a skateboard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in