Car Engine/House Fire Pirate advice - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 693929
Car Engine/House Fire Pirate advice

Figured this would be a good place to get some advice from anyone that may have been in the same situation...
So, long story short, I traded in my 2010 Mazda 6 for a 2016 from a local Mazda dealer about 3 years ago, for my mom to use and take over payments. Car is in my name.

Fast forward to this year, a few months ago, a fire starts in my moms garage (Assuming it was the car) Her and my sister barely make it out, while the fire extended to the whole house, basically causing them to lose everything they owned. Its been a rough few months but I'm glad they didnt get injured and that im able to help them.
Unfortunately, without my knowledge I did not know my mom did not get the additional insurance that covers fires/flood, natural disasters etc(I have full coverage on my Jeep and would have told her to do the same had i known) so insurance was unable to help.
We finally get the report back from the fire department and it basically says the fire originated in the engine.

What can/should be done? Other than the obvious of getting an attorney.
Never thought I would be in this situation, nor do i know anyone else in the same, so i'm not sure if I should contact the dealer or go straight directly to Mazda? I know it may be a legal shit show,so should i just get with an attorney and have them see what can be done?

Thanks in advance Pirates
JDalcour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 112738
3 years later? Good luck.
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 70148
lawyer up. A quick google shows up fire recalls because of spiders on somewhat similar models.
I hate to say it, but these are the reasons to pay for home insurance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
blatant asshole

Member # 464641
1rst research the car vrs fires. Dodge had to buy a lot of thing when they had some sort of major wire short. Ford did aswell with the 80s-97 trucks fualty brake psi switch for the cc on the master cyl.

If there is a history of that gen car burning up then mazada my be buying everything. Idk if a current recall may have been issued (and/or performed already) will effect the situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
total newb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 141714
Dealer is probably going to tell you to kick rocks,and mazda most likely also. Unless like stated there is a known issue/recall with the car. This would fall under homeowners insurance as it was parked in the garage.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 173487
Why is not their homeowners insurance covering the loss?
Spiritof76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4243
House insurance should cover house and stuff... just not the car.

Fire and theft are two coverages I put on all my vehicles. Even when I insure for the absolute cheap-ass minimum.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 18776
Contact the home insurance company, if the engine caused the fire, they should be going after Mazda.

After you to to them, contact a product liability Attorney to see what needs to be done to protect her legal rights, and secure the car, Mazda will likely want to inspect the car if you sue.
CA_Snowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 35484
Probably not going to get anything from Mazda\Dealer after 3 years. Has the car only been serviced by that dealer? If not you’re going to get even less.
williamj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
He said fast forward to a few months ago, a fire...
Old 09-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 693929
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj View Post
Probably not going to get anything from Mazda\Dealer after 3 years. Has the car only been serviced by that dealer? If not you’re going to get even less.
Every single thing she has done to it including oil changes were done at the same dealer where it was purchased.

As far as home insurance it is currently being looked into/reviewed. Just happened not too long ago.

thanks for the input everyone.
JDalcour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 105362
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2slow View Post
House insurance should cover house and stuff... just not the car.

Fire and theft are two coverages I put on all my vehicles. Even when I insure for the absolute cheap-ass minimum.
This.

I've dealt with this same scenario before. My truck burned my shop down.

Homeowners insurance covered building and contents. Vehicles are covered under their own policy. One truck was covered, one truck was not.

If this happened a few months ago, how is this not handled already? My claims were all settled in a couple of weeks, and it took that long because we had to wait for a fire investigator and an engineer to look things over.

edit: Suing the automaker will be a very long shot. There would have to be a documented source of fires on those cars and your car would have to be inspected by an fire investigator and/or engineer to determine cause. Even then, there are a dozen different ways to say that they're not liable. Fires tend to destroy a lot of evidence, cause damage that makes root cause analysis impossible, etc. In my case it was the Ford cruise switch recall, very well known and documented. My insurance opted not to try to sue due to other mitigating circumstances involved in the fire. I had a diesel container with 5 gallons sitting on the floor near the truck, when that burned it left fire damage on the bottom of the frame rails, which any defense attorney would point to and say that you really can't prove what started the fire in the first place. Apparently vehicle fires will leave paint intact on the bottom of things and even leave carpet and seat foam behind, anything at a low elevation. Not the case with my truck, unfortunately. I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss this with the insurance and your lawyer, but I would be very pessimistic about your chances.

Last edited by krugford; 09-07-2018 at 05:08 PM.
krugford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
Window Licker

Member # 34948
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDalcour View Post
Unfortunately, without my knowledge I did not know my mom did not get the additional insurance that covers fires/flood, natural disasters etc(I have full coverage on my Jeep and would have told her to do the same had i known) so insurance was unable to help.
Insurance isn't covering the car? House? Anything?
Old 09-07-2018, 05:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA_Snowtoy View Post
Contact the home insurance company, if the engine caused the fire, they should be going after Mazda.

After you to to them, contact a product liability Attorney to see what needs to be done to protect her legal rights, and secure the car, Mazda will likely want to inspect the car if you sue.
Yup, the insurance company has deeper pockets let them go to bat for you. find any info you can on engine fires and let them do the leg work.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
So your car policy specifically states that a malfunction by the car resulting in a fire is not covered? Or if you leave your car somewhere that has wild fires it is not covered? I have heard of the latter. But not car starting on fire not being covered.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 81022
Quote:
Originally Posted by krugford View Post
This.

I've dealt with this same scenario before. My truck burned my shop down.

Homeowners insurance covered building and contents. Vehicles are covered under their own policy. One truck was covered, one truck was not.

If this happened a few months ago, how is this not handled already? My claims were all settled in a couple of weeks, and it took that long because we had to wait for a fire investigator and an engineer to look things over.

edit: Suing the automaker will be a very long shot. There would have to be a documented source of fires on those cars and your car would have to be inspected by an fire investigator and/or engineer to determine cause. Even then, there are a dozen different ways to say that they're not liable. Fires tend to destroy a lot of evidence, cause damage that makes root cause analysis impossible, etc. In my case it was the Ford cruise switch recall, very well known and documented. My insurance opted not to try to sue due to other mitigating circumstances involved in the fire. I had a diesel container with 5 gallons sitting on the floor near the truck, when that burned it left fire damage on the bottom of the frame rails, which any defense attorney would point to and say that you really can't prove what started the fire in the first place. Apparently vehicle fires will leave paint intact on the bottom of things and even leave carpet and seat foam behind, anything at a low elevation. Not the case with my truck, unfortunately. I'm not saying you shouldn't discuss this with the insurance and your lawyer, but I would be very pessimistic about your chances.

x2, my wife does this type of work, and 9 out of10 times it goes thru homeowners insurance and sent to her company to "subrogate" the loss. No way they will go after the auto mfg unless there are hundreds of cases actually worth a $ value. She would send a expert to the scene asap to investigate the cause & make a report. Homeowners pays, you move on with life and the rest of the stuff happens behind the scenes.

No one died thankfully so we are only talking about contents etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in