Robbed and Security Camera Questions - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2018, 08:12 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 430242
Why has nobody mentioned including the most powerful fence charger you can find into your protection scheme, it won't necessarily stop the thieves, but it will inflict pain and slow them down.
projectdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 18432
I'm thinking something that would give them a couple flat tires might ruin their night, especially if it was a long way to go t get spares.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #28 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
fuck it might be surprisingly cheap to add a bunch of stuff to your insurance plan. cover it all and call it a pain in the ass day

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 148982
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
Put up a sign

Or the sign my dad took a picture of in the late 60’s when gas stations were getting stuck up in the seattle area.

Had a picture of a body outline and the following text

Dear burglars,

One has tried and one has died.
They say the 3rd times the charm.
Who wants to be number 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never going to work. Blacks can't read and Mexicans can read English.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:14 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 123554
Seems like a bunch of people are having good luck with game cameras that send photos to you. Make sure they get mounted inconspicuously so they aren’t taken also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2018, 08:18 AM   #31 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
I have a client that uses these at his remote cabin. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/...o/default.aspx

They work well. Found out that it wasn't someone breaking in and trashing his cabin. It was a racoon and a pack rat. (mouse but 7x the size)

If you have a signal there this would be nice to hide and get plates or faces. But I would get a GPS tracker to put on the rest of what you have. Just a camera won't be enough.

You can also get the Arlo Pro2 with the base station and plug in a USB drive to the base station and it will record to that. But I have not tried to just have it record to the base station. I can if you want me to. I have a 3 camera setup.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 94538
If they steal the Covert camera it has some tracking ability from cell tower pings I believe.
73txmudbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #33 (permalink)
Soulless ginger

Member # 124369
A couple of the GC's I work for are using these:

https://www.senserasystems.com/sitewatch-pro/

4G, solar powered, motion detector, cloud upload... Probably a little pricey, but cheaper than a tractor.
landscraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 13889
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOB2 View Post
I'm thinking something that would give them a couple flat tires might ruin their night, especially if it was a long way to go t get spares.
I would add this as well; some stop sticks concealed in the access road would go a long way to messing up their day.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 12454
Send a message via AIM to TatonkaII
FYI- if its that remote it sounds like you don't go there very often so going back to remove evidence isn't realistic. That said- anything that is created to harm or damage to a person or object is very illegal. Putting nails in a board will only cost you four new tires + some if they know what they are doing. Sorry to be Debby Downer. Sucks your stuff got stolen..

Last edited by TatonkaII; 09-11-2018 at 09:11 AM.
TatonkaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 48787
I would probably just buy regular game cameras, the kind that don't light up. For the money I would rather have more cameras up to check after a burglary/theft than spending money on the cell notification. Don't just set them all up for overall shots, get some in places they are likely to be, close enough for a positive identification or a tag number. Yes, they might get stolen so use several. Make sure they will trigger in time to get the suspect in the shot and not take the picture after they walk by.

I keep some by the likely entrance to my shop with an old one that doesn't work in a more obvious place. I get months out of normal batteries and check the pictures of me in and out to make sure they are getting something that would be usable.

A friend set up three at his shop a year ago after getting hit. Recently the shop got hit again. One camera had dead batteries, one got stolen and the third got the burglar's tag number as his car was backed up to the door he broke through. He got almost all his stuff back, and the cops recovered nearly everything of another burglary.
4x4junk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #37 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 186552
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATBOB2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scope View Post
I would add this as well; some stop sticks concealed in the access road would go a long way to messing up their day.
Plywood sheets with a bunch of short nails in it.
These are buried everywhere on the properties around us that are pretty much abandoned. Previous owners didn't like trespassers.

Gives you a blood trail to follow too.

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Locals stole your shit, no one drove hours through back roads hitting every gate they can find looking for something. They know when youre there or not there.

Just set up several game cameras. They wont know they're there, way too much going on and focus for stealing shit, to check every tree and post. Theyll be back, just be prepared to have evidence and know a decent sheriff.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 225201
See above, has tractor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECTJUNKIE View Post
I also set a shiny 45 round on top of something expensive, sometimes leave a note that I will kill them if I find them. Actually been a pretty solid tactic<a href="https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/images/smilies/laughing.gif" border="0" alt="" title="laughing" >:-)</a>
That's a pretty good way to set yourself up for murder #1 charges if you do wind up shooting somebody that's on the property.
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 6156
hotspot from unlimitedtogo dot com + amazon cloud cams. set it to ping you with a notification when motion is noticed. it records upon motion sensing as well.

69 Bronco
04 Yukon Denali (beater)
18 Ram 2500
16 4Runner Trail
15 Can Am Commander XT-P
indulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #41 (permalink)
Lux

Member # 793921
Check out Simplisafe. It uses cell data (built in) to connect to the monitoring service. They even have a wifi cam (you need to supply the data connection) that only records when the alarm is tripped.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:06 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 30017
Ok a bit has happened in the last couple days. I did find out that insurance will cover the utvs/atvs since they were stored on the property. The trailers are uncovered though.

The Deere utv was located in a nearby town. I am purposely leaving some details of how it was found since it is still going through the legal process. While I wanted to go bust the guys head in and get it back cooler heads prevailed. The sheriffs said the guy was a known thief in the area. He had already pawned a few of the tools taken. The police detained him while they got a search warrant. They found a couple small items at his house along with the Deere UTV. Nothing else. They confiscated the items and the UTV. The UTV will go to a contested ownership hearing as the guy who had it said he bought it a year ago and produced a "receipt" that I don't think the ink had dried yet. The police said as long as we show up to court it will be awarded back to us. They didn't have enough evidence to arrest him so they released him. They said they are working on a case to get him.

I also managed to find one of the trailers for sale on Facebook last night. It was the smaller utility trailer. It was being sold in San Antonio by some super ghetto deluxe looking person. All the stuff he was selling looks like it was stolen from somebody. The trailer is only worth $500-600 and I wasn't going to risk my safety over that amount. I created a fake account to try to get his address but they never responded and then a couple hours later this afternoon he marked the ad as "sold". The ad and such was turned over to the police earlier today but I am not expecting much.

So it looks like something is happening and they will hopefully nab at least one of the guys.

I do have 25mb internet available there for $100 a month. The arlo cameras are $40 each camera for the cell service per month. So with needing 4 cameras it probably makes sense to get the internet for $100 and just buy wifi cameras.

I also looked into the gps tracking and SVR seemed to have the best one that I could find. $250 for the waterproof unit with coverage the first 3 years and then $3-5 per month after. That seems fairly reasonable to me.

At this point I will sit down and see what we want to spend on security and go from there.
BillyBronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #43 (permalink)
Lux

Member # 793921
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBronco View Post
Ok a bit has happened in the last couple days. I did find out that insurance will cover the utvs/atvs since they were stored on the property. The trailers are uncovered though.

The Deere utv was located in a nearby town. I am purposely leaving some details of how it was found since it is still going through the legal process. While I wanted to go bust the guys head in and get it back cooler heads prevailed. The sheriffs said the guy was a known thief in the area. He had already pawned a few of the tools taken. The police detained him while they got a search warrant. They found a couple small items at his house along with the Deere UTV. Nothing else. They confiscated the items and the UTV. The UTV will go to a contested ownership hearing as the guy who had it said he bought it a year ago and produced a "receipt" that I don't think the ink had dried yet. The police said as long as we show up to court it will be awarded back to us. They didn't have enough evidence to arrest him so they released him. They said they are working on a case to get him.

I also managed to find one of the trailers for sale on Facebook last night. It was the smaller utility trailer. It was being sold in San Antonio by some super ghetto deluxe looking person. All the stuff he was selling looks like it was stolen from somebody. The trailer is only worth $500-600 and I wasn't going to risk my safety over that amount. I created a fake account to try to get his address but they never responded and then a couple hours later this afternoon he marked the ad as "sold". The ad and such was turned over to the police earlier today but I am not expecting much.

So it looks like something is happening and they will hopefully nab at least one of the guys.

I do have 25mb internet available there for $100 a month. The arlo cameras are $40 each camera for the cell service per month. So with needing 4 cameras it probably makes sense to get the internet for $100 and just buy wifi cameras.

I also looked into the gps tracking and SVR seemed to have the best one that I could find. $250 for the waterproof unit with coverage the first 3 years and then $3-5 per month after. That seems fairly reasonable to me.

At this point I will sit down and see what we want to spend on security and go from there.
If I can make a recommendation https://www.ubnt.com/products/#unifivideo

They are a US company (can't confirm their products are made here tho). I use their networking gear for my home router/wifi setup. They are a prosumer/enterprise level products so they are high quality and have a ton of features.

Another high quality camera brand is Hikvision.

I wouldn't trust them for cameras inside my house because they are a Chinese brand and there is valid concern about the Chinese goverment having backdoors in them or the lack of proper security allowing them to be exploited and allow the attacker to view the cam or use it as part of a bot net (a bot net is when 100s of thousands of devices that are connected to the internet are compromised and used to send fake requests to websites/internet services that cause them to overload and blocks any real users from using the site/service).

Though the risk of unauthorized users viewing your cam go way if you set up a proper network that blocks all outbound traffic except for a vpn connection. So what you would do in this instance is connect to your vpn (which is an encrypted connection to your network).

I'm trying to keep the tech talk to a minimum but if you need any help or have any questions on how to improve your network security just ask away. The likely hood of you being a target from a state sponsored actor or a blackhat hacker is very very slim unless you're an executive for a fortune 500 company or work for the government or your spouse/kids do.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:49 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Cuddelink

Any thoughts on this ? - https://media.mwstatic.com/productdo...0Explained.pdf
Old 09-18-2018, 12:45 PM   #45 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBronco View Post

Honest question, how would a video have changed anything?

Your stuff would have still gotten stolen. You may have a picture of some farm boy in a baseball hat and a pick-up truck, but would it have made any real difference in how it all played out?

Let's also figure in $1200 a year for the cameras (which is probably a little light, after you figure the cost of the camera's updates as technology improves, etc. )

Let's say, you don't have another incident for 5 years, you are 6k into it, and someone steals another $500 trailer. Would you feel like you were ahead or behind?

I really have mixed emotions about it. I feel like we are living in the book 1984, so I have kind of an aversion to camera's on principle, and I feel like they don't prevent theft, they just help in building a case once your shit has been stolen, and I hear varying reports on how much difference it really makes.

But if my shit get's stolen, I have a curiosity on what happened that the camera's help fill.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Grumpy I would offer a differing look on your perspective. If people used the cameras on their own property to have documentation on their own shit . . . . there is no 1984. But the point would be over time these assholes would be caught and either change their ways or stay incarcerated. Punishment is what trains people in some aberrant behavior. You have to have credible tangible evidence to catch, prosecute and punish those deserving, no ?

Edit: to answer the question "would a video have changed anything?" Hell yes it would. When the fuckers get caught, they go away or get beat up. Over time, cumulatively the video is the answer.

Last edited by Lil Uzi; 09-18-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Lil Uzi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
Grumpy I would offer a differing look on your perspective. If people used the cameras on their own property to have documentation on their own shit . . . . there is no 1984. But the point would be over time these assholes would be caught and either change their ways or stay incarcerated. Punishment is what trains people in some aberrant behavior. You have to have credible tangible evidence to catch, prosecute and punish those deserving, no ?

Edit: to answer the question "would a video have changed anything?" Hell yes it would. When the fuckers get caught, they go away or get beat up. Over time, cumulatively the video is the answer.
Anecdotal story time.

I had an associate from high school. I hated the guy, he would steal anything .

About a year out of school, he took up robbing convenient stores. So, he gets caught on camera, he get's brought in to HPD, where he is interrogated. This guy was not a genius super villain. But he was educated enough to know to never admit to anything. The cops sit there and show him the tape, which clearly shows him robbing a store. He looks straight at the video and denies, denies, denies. after which he went home and slept in his (probably stolen) bed.

He did eventually go to prison after he was picked out by a witness, but not because of any video.

I grant you, some small population county MAY take the video and use it, but You take a video like that linked to a property crime to Houston , L.A., Atlanta, Chicago, New York, Baltimore, etc. I doubt it gets you anywhere. (But I could be wrong, Honestly I'm wrong a lot).

As far as video being private so it is counter to 1984. Nothing is private. I bet you are hosting it to a cloud service. It's not just you. So Hypothetically you are accused of killing said thief and burying the body. I would imagine with a half ass drafted subpoena provided to the service you are using to view and store the video, that LEO is watching and using your videos as evidence against you.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #48 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post

As far as video being private so it is counter to 1984. Nothing is private. I bet you are hosting it to a cloud service. It's not just you. So Hypothetically you are accused of killing said thief and burying the body. I would imagine with a half ass drafted subpoena provided to the service you are using to view and store the video, that LEO is watching and using your videos as evidence against you.

Most security camera systems have a local DVR hard drive. In that case it is your property. If you kill the guy and don't want your own video surveillance used against you, destroy the DVR HDD and tell them to fuck off. It is yours to do what you want to with.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 6359
I disagree completely. A shit ton of all crime today is linked investigated and prosecuted from video or surveillance video. Then comes all the supporting evidence, DNA, witnesses, etc. But back to petty non-violent theft yeah there are some lazy cops and lazy investigative work. For remote sites like the OP there is no downside. The pics or video or alert or all three are way better than nothing. His case clearly supports this. I think you have lumped in the worst case scenarios. My bike WAS thefted off a rack at a Frys and there was surveillance video. Frys wouldn't let me see it and suggested that I file a Police report, but I went further and requested the PD come out. They did. Officer took notes and posted it at the office. Roseville, CA btw. The officer was allowed to view the video, he said the image quality was so poor he could not even tell if the criminal was male or female. I think your chance for success go way up if you have a HD pic of the crime in action, the face, and a license plate. All date and time stamped.
Old 09-18-2018, 02:30 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 6359
The system I posted records to SD in the camera, and e-mails the file to your phone and or PC. So the pics are stored and sent out for more storage. No cloud. Unless you consider e-mail the "cloud".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in