What were you doing? 9-11-01 - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 188393
I was smoking weed with a buddy before we went to work. Watched TV on the couch all day at work. Went home, got in an argument with my dad about the whole event, he promptly kicked me out of the house. Looking back it was a pretty great day, in a strange way, for me anyway.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 798313
High school shop class. Spent the rest of the day watching the news in every class. Me and a friend at the time went wheeling later that day.
Cyrax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 15808
I was sleeping. I was working nights at the time and had gotten to bed about 6am central. Mother in law called and woke us up to tell us what happened after the second plane hit. I watched TV for an hour or so then went back to bed. I was working 12 hour shifts then and couldn't keep my eyes open any longer.

I stopped by the local gas station on my way to work and everyone was panicing. Trying to fill fuel cans and every vehicle they owned. I just wanted to get some to get to work.
wades_76_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 67823
I was in grade 9 I think, woke up to it on the radio news on my alarm clock.
Got up and got dressed, went to the kitchen and told mum "there was a terrorist attack in the states today, they crashed planes into a stock trading place." We didn't have a TV, so that was that. I went to school, and all the TVs in the hallway were playing the news. Classes continued as normal. Didn't really have much of an effect on day to day life as far as I can recall.
It took a few years before the actual severity of it really came home for me.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 591017
I was working for a flooring contractor replacing carpet in a school sau building that day. I remember a TV being wheeled in on one of those metal carts and watching some of what was happening and my coworker/boss for that day telling me to get back to work. I only live about a mile from that sau building and every time I drive by it I think of that day.

Never forget.
gr33nlemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #56 (permalink)
Man Child

Member # 2175
Was camped back up Sourgrass trail just outside Arnold, CA. We had been there a week or so and just happened to make a run into town for supplies that day. We stopped at Ebbetts Pass Sporting Goods and the guy behind the counter said, "Hey aren't you part of the group camped back up Sourgrass? Have you seen what's happening?". We ended up standing in there watching a tiny TV for about an hour or so. We stopped by The Lube Room bar to use a pay phone to check in with a few people then headed back to tell the rest.

When we arrived at camp, some people didn't believe us (probably 10 people or so camped back there). We all sat there and listened to the presidents address that evening. We stayed back there for a few more days, making trips into town each day to grab newspapers and such. It was chaotic in the early few days, we just told everyone we knew "if something happens, come find us because we are in about as safe a place as there is" being back in the woods.
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #57 (permalink)
3d Artist for Hire!

Member # 13701
Send a message via AIM to animator Send a message via Yahoo to animator
I had slept through the plane hits. I woke up around 9 or so that morning and turned on the news showing a giant cloud of dust and smoke around manhattan island. I didn't know what was going on, but kept it on in the background as I got ready for work. I had an 11:00 shift at the local steakhouse. I worked there all through high school, and was finishing out the summer working there until I started school. Most everyone I knew had already moved off to college, but I didn't start until October.

I watched the replay of the plane hit, and the replay of the towers falling. When I got to work, I remember talking to a friend there saying "looks like I won't be going to college..." expecting the military to reinstate the draft to go kill the entire country responsible for the attack. After my shift ended that afternoon, I went back home and had the TV on for the next few days straight.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 230312
I was at work, in my early twenties. Listening to the radio on a test drive. When I got back to the shop everyone was watching the TV.

I can still remember as being a young man and volunteering in a fire dept, how the fireman on scene, knew they would not survive. They knew walking up the stairs, they were going to their death, would never see their family again. They never said they knew looking up, cause the guy next to them took a step towards the fire, so did the other person.

I remember how I would have give anything to be there with those men, cause they where men, who sacrificed themselves for something bigger than themselves. Even with being scared, they went anyways. They stood for the people trapped, they stood for a country, city, people they loved.

That is standing for something, even though they knew it would cost them everything. Along with the military that went to war, after the attacks.
RokToy829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #59 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 186552
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-RAT View Post
Bunch a young 'uns in here!
Crazy to think that next year, there will be adults that were born after the attack.

I think that those who weren't watching these events as they unfolded will never know the gut feeling and understand completely what those that did see them transpire.

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #60 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 186552
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-RAT View Post
Bunch a young 'uns in here!
Crazy to think that next year, there will be adults that were born after the attack.

I think that those who weren't watching these events as they unfolded will never know the gut feeling and understand completely what those that did see them transpire.

Its just something to mention in history class to them, If they will even touch the subject.

Quote:
Your sig is right..too much junk
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
not2hye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 108445
I remember I was flipping through the rocketry newsgroup before work and someone posted about some airplane accident. Off topic had been a recent problem and was going to post about no off-topic posts and decided against it.

Into work a bunch of people were in the break room with the TV on. Still remember being in a sort of state of shock.

We pulled one of our switches in a semi trailer for a quick checkout before sending it east.
rocket flier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 15808
Quote:
Originally Posted by RokToy829 View Post

That is standing for something, even though they knew it would cost them everything. Along with the military that went to war, after the attacks.
I would guess that our parents/grandparents were feeling the same way in '41 when the Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.
wades_76_cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 17632
I was at work, getting close to quitting time on grave shift when the people on the radio started talking about the plane that hit. We all listened while we finished up and went home. I listened to the radio in the car and called my sister in Connecticut. Watched TV until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon until I just couldn't stay up any longer and went to bed.

My wife worked at Oracle in the accounting dept at the time and she normally processed the expense reports. A couple of days later she had to process Todd? Beemer's expense report that had been submitted sometime before the attack ("let's roll" guy from the plane that crashed in PA worked there). Freaked her out a little as I recall. Crazy feelings that day for sure.
Travis..
Old 09-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 41063
I was laying in bed, awake but just laying there watching TV trying to get the motivation to get up. The girl I was recently broke up with called me freaking out that "we've been bombed" and to turn on the news. I caught CNN not long after the first tower was struck and everyone was still in "confused, how could this happen?" mode. Then the bit started about it might be terrorists and the plane may have been hijacked. Not long after the second tower was hit and then the Pentagon. I put my flag up and then spent most of the day watching the news.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:01 PM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 163388
I was at work listening to Howard Stern. Listened to the start to the end of the show, I don't know how many hours he went over schedule , but he stayed on for what seemed like forever. That crew did a top notch job of keeping everyone updated to exactly what was going on in real time. The demeanor from a bunch of goof balls switching to professionalism was quite eye opening.

Sad day for everyone
SomeGuyFromOlympia is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 01:25 PM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 109702
I really thought that was the beginning of WW3.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:37 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 215338
I was in 7th grade PE when the first plane hit, made it back to the class room to watch the second plane hit. I remember the office coming over the intercom saying to turn all the TVs off, my teacher refused to turn the TV off stating that this was going to be something we would always remember, something that our kids and grandkids would be asking us about someday. Needless to say we watched the news in silence for the rest of the day.
lulatacoma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 01:42 PM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 270274
Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Lightbulb

I'd just moved from KY to Ft. Wayne, IN a month earlier to do more graduate work. My oldest was 10 mos. old that day, and had an ear infection - we were getting ready to take him to the doctor that morning. My wife is watching Good Morning, America as I'm brushing my teeth. She says, "an airplane has hit the WTC - it's on the news!" So I stick my head out the bathroom door, just in time to see the second plane hit the WTC on live TV.

The doctor's office is full, it seems. People relay reports to the waiting room. A plane has hit the Pentagon; the first tower has fallen. A nurse brings in a portable TV - we watch the second tower fall live, the fire fighting efforts at the Pentagon, and the initial reports of the plane going down in PA.

Ft. Wayne really IS "fly-over" country. I recall how clear, quiet, and blue the sky was that afternoon - not a contrail anywhere. We're renting a farmhouse out west of the city - in the middle of a working dairy farm. And for the next couple of weeks, the ONLY planes we hear, are the F-15's from the Air National Guard base down the road, going full-afterburner off the deck, as they were flying sorties around the Sears Tower and Chicago in those days.

I haven't trusted mohammedans since Nov.4, 1979. I've trusted them less, after 9/11.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #69 (permalink)
What did you expect?

Member # 119290
Woke up to alarm playing local news, talking about a plane into one of the towers. Told the wife; It's a terrorist attack.Walked into the living room, was watching live footage of the first tower burning, one of the talking heads said "The pilot may have been following a faulty navigational beacon, and hit the building". Yeah, at 08:45ish, on a bright, clear, day? Just then, the second plane impacted, watching it glide in live was surreal....

Watched the rest of the day at work.
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 270274
Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-O View Post
I really thought that was the beginning of WW3.
I've thought that twice in my life.

The first, was when the Soviets shot down KAL 007. I was in hi skrool then, at the height of the Reagan - Andropov Cold War standoff. Having watched History Channel programs about that since, it turns out my fears were well founded.

The second was during the first Gulf War, in January of '91. I'd been working in radio about 7 mos. then, and after the first Scud missiles hit Israel, word was, that nuclear armed Israeli bombers were headed for Iraq. Everyone knew, that if Israel went nuclear, the Arabs and the Soviets would turn on them, & then it's all bets off. Word off the A-P teletype was, the bombers were airborne, and Bush 41 was working frantically to get the Israelis to recall them. I was AT the station that night, reading the wire releases, but wasn't on-the-air at that time. I left for a long walk in the woods.

When I got back a few hours later, the bombers HAD been recalled, & WWIII - for the moment, at least - was postponed. You wouldn't believe the stuff that comes through on a news wire teletype (in those days anyways - before algore's interwebz had been invented), that NEVER went over-the-air as news...

Curiously enough, I did not think WWIII was upon us, on 9/11.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 810498
At the bomb dump MCAS Newriver. We thought the first one was an accident. After the second we knew it was on like Donkey Kong.
AnimalMother is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Eating breakfast getting ready for school like all the other West Coast millenials. I noticed nothing was different on TV. IT was the same footage of the towers. I mentioned it to my mom who was in shock. I had no clue what the buildings were, why it was important, who would think flying a plan into a skyscraper was an attack on our entire country (the Pentagon I understand), and why I was sitting in my history (I forget the official name) class doing nothing for the day. Later on I learned it meant we were going to war and mom damn near broke down in to tears begging me not to enlist. Part of me wishes I did. Part of me is glad I didn't. Now I just sit back and realize my brother and sister in laws learned, or will learn, about it in history class. I still don't get how it was significant other than we didn't rebuild the buildings, getting on a plane sucks, and we sent a bunch of troops to a foreign country for (insert your reason here).
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 253146
Quote:
Originally Posted by RokToy829 View Post
I was at work, in my early twenties. Listening to the radio on a test drive. When I got back to the shop everyone was watching the TV.

I can still remember as being a young man and volunteering in a fire dept, how the fireman on scene, knew they would not survive. They knew walking up the stairs, they were going to their death, would never see their family again. They never said they knew looking up, cause the guy next to them took a step towards the fire, so did the other person.

I remember how I would have give anything to be there with those men, cause they where men, who sacrificed themselves for something bigger than themselves. Even with being scared, they went anyways. They stood for the people trapped, they stood for a country, city, people they loved.

The one picture of the fireman heading up the stairs as everyone else is trying to evacuate. You can see it in his eyes. He still went up. RIP your efforts were not in vain. You are a hero.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 107575
Sitting on the Capital Beltway (495) in morning traffic when I heard on the radio " A plane crashed into the World Trade Tower" . I assumed piper club style plane and didn't hear much different for a while. Pulled up to the first customers house of the day in McLean who happened to be a prince for some Middle Eastern country. As I was going through their security checkpoint the guy got "the call" . He immediately told us to leave as soon and automatic bollards starting rising out of the driveway and armed guards swarmed us from out of the bushes to make sure we left.That was the moment they hit the Pentagon we learned later.

I still wasn't grasping the severity of the situation as I had only heard about it and hadn't seen anything. I finally got to the next customers house who had TV's on it hit me.

I still ended up finishing my entire route that day and my trip home took me right up 395 next to the Pentagon and it was still smoldering. Very surreal to be one of only a few cars on the road and fighter jets circling where it's typically bumper to bumper traffic.

It finally sunk in totally when I got home and took it all in several hours later.
bigdummy30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 253146
This picture is the one I was talking about....
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:

Log-in