LiPo battery people, little help? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #26 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Venom dup pro? I like that charger. I have supposedly better chargers but they take up too much real estate on my shelf. The venom has a nice small footprint.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
you could have ordered the 4x100 unit I posted for $150.
Missed that. I was just looking @ contacting them and canceling, but I saw that they are local. I'll stick with it.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Le me know if I'm missing anything. I think I can make this work without having to solder anything and I can switch back to the sla batteries if I screw this up, or I need a second set.

2x parallel 4mm bullet connectors (gets me 18.5v 10Ah)

1x series 4mm bullet connectors (gets me 36v 10Ah)

pack of 4mm male and female connectors with pigtails. 1 for the bike, and one for the factory sla spade connectors. Just plan on using some waterproof crimp connectors.

Last edited by SEREvince; 09-21-2018 at 01:47 PM.
SEREvince is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2018, 01:48 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 86724
how many amps does it draw.
4mm bullets are good to 65 amps or so.
If you're below that number, then yes.

Although I would highly recommend xt90s. They are shielded and polarity protected so you can't fuck it up.

they're basically bullets in a plastic connector.

edit:
and buy the genuine amass ones. The knockoff ones fit like shit and melt when you try to solder them. The genuine ones are thermoset and will not melt.

Last edited by 87manche; 09-21-2018 at 01:49 PM.
87manche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Quote:

Although I would highly recommend xt90s. They are shielded and polarity protected so you can't fuck it up.

edit:
and buy the genuine amass ones. The knockoff ones fit like shit and melt when you try to solder them. The genuine ones are thermoset and will not melt.
I looked @ XT60 and XT90, both had a critical pieces out of stock @Hk. The batteries already were 4mm, so I just went with it.
I may end up doing a mix, so there is no confusion between the, series, parallel, and, motor connections. I think I can make it so there is only one possible way to hook it all up. I learned a lesson when my daughter managed to start her powerwheel on fire.

So far with shipping and tax, I'm $350 in. Compared to $160ish with tax for the another set of sla. That's about 35% more Ah, and I'm guessing about 1/3rd the weight.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Quote:

edit:
I looked @ XT60 and XT90, both had a critical pieces out of stock @Hk. The batteries already were 4mm, so I just went with it.
I may end up doing a mix, so there is no confusion between the, series, parallel, and, motor connections. I think I can make it so there is only one possible way to hook it all up. I learned a lesson when my daughter managed to start her powerwheel on fire.

So far with shipping and tax, I'm $350 in. Compared to $160ish with tax for the another set of sla. That's about 35% more Ah, and I'm guessing about 1/3rd the weight.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Quote:

edit:

Old 09-21-2018, 04:31 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 86724
well your first issue is ordering shit from HK.

seriously. I hope like hell you didn't get shit from the "international" warehouse, or you can enjoy your 3-4 week wait with 0 tracking information from DHL.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C2TGC3J...537569007&sr=2

those are what you want. You're dealing with a higher voltage pack, so you want the anti spark shit, or you'll end up burning the connectors anyway.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #34 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Meh, hobbyking isnt too terrible on international stuff. The tracking is pretty much non existent but 10-14 days after I order the parts show up. The west coast warehouse is just south or Portland OR so I get stuff in 3 days from FedEx.

Bullets work but xt90 are so incredibly superior on the "not going to fuck it up and burn my house down" side of things that they're a no brainer.

You can buy the connectors in bulk and get the wire from hobbyking too, it's actually really nice wire.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:58 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 86724
I've been disappointed by HK customer service too many times to go back.

there's plenty of places to order the exact same shit from that have it at nearly the same price, and they don't suck to deal with.

rcjuice
getfpv
valuehobby
Old 09-21-2018, 05:41 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
Meh, hobbyking isnt too terrible on international stuff. The tracking is pretty much non existent but 10-14 days after I order the parts show up. The west coast warehouse is just south or Portland OR so I get stuff in 3 days from FedEx.

Bullets work but xt90 are so incredibly superior on the "not going to fuck it up and burn my house down" side of things that they're a no brainer.

You can buy the connectors in bulk and get the wire from hobbyking too, it's actually really nice wire.
Quote:
I've been disappointed by HK customer service too many times to go back.

there's plenty of places to order the exact same shit from that have it at nearly the same price, and they don't suck to deal with.

rcjuice
getfpv
valuehobby
I don't solder. So... Who wants to build me a wiring harnesses? You can keep the extra parts!

HK said 2-3 day Fedex. Portland is around 5hrs from here and the Venom place is about 40min from my house.

The connector bits all came from Amazon, with "Prime" that magically turned into 3-4 days after checkout.

Thanks for the other sources though. If this all works out I'll probably do another set.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 PM   #37 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEREvince View Post
I don't solder. So... Who wants to build me a wiring harnesses? You can keep the extra parts!

HK said 2-3 day Fedex. Portland is around 5hrs from here and the Venom place is about 40min from my house.

The connector bits all came from Amazon, with "Prime" that magically turned into 3-4 days after checkout.

Thanks for the other sources though. If this all works out I'll probably do another set.
Clip the wires and mark what connectors you want where and I'll solder it up. Not a big deal.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Clip the wires and mark what connectors you want where and I'll solder it up. Not a big deal.
this.
takes just a few minutes.

send it to DWT because shipping across the country will suck to get it to me.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Quote:

Thank you! May take you up on that once it comes it. Looks like I may be close enough to buy you a beer.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #40 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEREvince View Post
Thank you! May take you up on that once it comes it. Looks like I may be close enough to buy you a beer.
I'm just down in tri cities so not all that far away at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in