Kid failed hearing test. - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
so, take the unexcused absences... the kid isn't in school doing work, right? The other kids are working.

If you don't go to work, you don't get paid... the 'paid' vacations for kids are scheduled around ALL the kids... If you want credit for doing the work, they are letting you get it as long as you prove you are doing the work... EVIL FUCKERS!
even as sarcasm, that isn't funny

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2018, 04:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 52443
If that test is verified by other, real tests, then yes - that much dB down is like flipping a mute switch for things like the difference between a "f" and an "s", for example.

Since she has normal hearing in the other ear, it should not be a really bad issue. The human audio DSP is really great at adapting and filling in blanks. Hearing aids these days are fking awesome. Should be a last option though.

Go see a doc, check earwax too, get a real test done.

yanni in the left ear, laurel in the right type of deal.

Last edited by ev13wt; 10-12-2018 at 04:45 PM.
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2018, 04:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
the ones they do at school/work are a sham. Normally in a trailer, with horrible acoustics, with others in the room.

I know the last one I did at work I could not hear anything over the drone of the gen set they had running it. Hell I could hear the guys talking in the other half of it over the test.

Plus those style are often only a comparison to past tests. Not a real test.

My last one showed I should be deaf, but I hear just fine. Never been an issue.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
Blame the Fed for that, and more precisely Bush I believe (part of no child left behind). Schools get paid per butt in seat/day
That was around WAY before Bush.

It was around when I was in school, but not sure if it was state money or federal money, but it was about the money, even in the 80’s

Last edited by Grumpy356; 10-12-2018 at 05:18 PM.
Grumpy356 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2018, 05:42 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 193950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
the ones they do at school/work are a sham. Normally in a trailer, with horrible acoustics, with others in the room.
I know the last one I did at work I could not hear anything over the drone of the gen set they had running it. Hell I could hear the guys talking in the other half of it over the test.
Sounds like you need a better company to do the test, the on who does the ones at work has a very well isolated trailer and you listen on headphones (so that it can repeat sounds for you if you miss them).
Granted, they plug into the wall on the office, so no genset, but the trailer is pretty well sound isolated.

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #31 (permalink)
dry-rotter of tires

Member # 63587
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
My brother wanted to go on vacation with the kids.

the state demands an "educational" itinerary, or all of their absences will be unexcused.

yep, you read that right. The state of PA reserves the right to approve or disapprove your family vacation if it involves your children (their paychecks) missing school.

That's where were at these days. The state literally claims ownership over your children's time.
. That was the case forty plus years ago when I was in school too... fortunately, they considered deer hunting and such educational in most cases.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #32 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:

the state demands an "educational" itinerary, or all of their absences will be unexcused.

yep, you read that right. The state of PA reserves the right to approve or disapprove your family vacation if it involves your children (their paychecks) missing school.

That's where were at these days. The state literally claims ownership over your children's time.
Iím trying to figure out why this bothers you.
So itís a unexcused absence.

Iím trying to remember it right, but I think we got 10 unexcused days a year. After that we needed a doctors note or had to make up the time on a Saturday or something like that.

Are there any consequences for a single (or even multiple) unexcused abscenceís?

Some school district bureaucracy made a note in a file and you are bent out of shape like it has meaning.

If itís excused you can miss unlimited days. 2 years ago my kid missed 60 something days. She passed.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:53 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 287106
Iím not worried about it at all. With her laying on her side in bed. Right ear buried in a pillow, she can hear me whisper from a foot away in the quietest sound i can make.
HLips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 01:54 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 58369
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjeep View Post
Talk to your pediatrician. The tests given at school are worthless.
This, so much. Take the kids to a doctor, or even a dozen.

What your kid is diagnosed with will be with them for life.
stevrock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 81613
Quote:

My sister took her kids out of school all the time, they gave her shit once, one has special needs the other straight A , missing a couple weeks a year did not affect them one bit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
so, take the unexcused absences... the kid isn't in school doing work, right? The other kids are working.

If you don't go to work, you don't get paid... the 'paid' vacations for kids are scheduled around ALL the kids... If you want credit for doing the work, they are letting you get it as long as you prove you are doing the work... EVIL FUCKERS!
except there are laws regarding truancy that carry real penalties.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post
Iím trying to figure out why this bothers you.
So itís a unexcused absence.

Iím trying to remember it right, but I think we got 10 unexcused days a year. After that we needed a doctors note or had to make up the time on a Saturday or something like that.

Are there any consequences for a single (or even multiple) unexcused abscenceís?

Some school district bureaucracy made a note in a file and you are bent out of shape like it has meaning.

If itís excused you can miss unlimited days. 2 years ago my kid missed 60 something days. She passed.
I'm trying to figure out why you aren't bothered over schools treating children like property.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:41 AM   #38 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post
That was around WAY before Bush.

It was around when I was in school, but not sure if it was state money or federal money, but it was about the money, even in the 80ís
It's gotten a LOT worse, at least from what I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 10:06 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out why you aren't bothered over schools treating children like property.

This^^^

When I was in school all they needed was a parent note saying little Johnny fuckhead will be missing next Monday and Tuesday for a family event. Now they want a full on schedule of what the educational value of the trip is.

Hell, the principal of one of the local schools has his daughter in the co-op we started instead. He see the problem and where its going. He has done a great job brining change to the local school. But he can only do so much because policy and shit...

He is also a hunting buddy so I probably get a bit more honesty from him than he would say in his work company type of setting.
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 10:35 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 152210
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
This^^^

When I was in school all they needed was a parent note saying little Johnny fuckhead will be missing next Monday and Tuesday for a family event. Now they want a full on schedule of what the educational value of the trip is.

Hell, the principal of one of the local schools has his daughter in the co-op we started instead. He see the problem and where its going. He has done a great job brining change to the local school. But he can only do so much because policy and shit...

He is also a hunting buddy so I probably get a bit more honesty from him than he would say in his work company type of setting.
does it bother you that he is a hypocrite? why would he participate in something he won't support with his own kids?
Old 10-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 212988
Quote:
This^^^

Its just a game play it. Here's our imaginary itinerary now get fucked.
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #42 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 82435
Quote:
This^^^

I don't blame the school one bit. They are required to show they educated the kid to a certain level, you pull the kid for two weeks then they are missing out. They just want to show the kid still learned during those two weeks.

Shools are not holding kids hostage. They never said they couldn't go on their vacation. They only laid out what it takes to make it excused or unexcused. Thems the rules. I see nothing wrong with their actions.

You want to take your kid out of the learning environment but then bitch when they don't learn. Attendance rules are not the education problems we should be focusing on. Besides, the parents have a 3 month window where the vacation could have been planned and not had this problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

51 Ford

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

81 Cherokee

Last edited by Rooney77; 10-13-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Rooney77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 01:10 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney77 View Post
I don't blame the school one bit. They are required to show they educated the kid to a certain level, you pull the kid for two weeks then they are missing out. They just want to show the kid still learned during those two weeks.

Shools are not holding kids hostage. They never said they couldn't go on their vacation. They only laid out what it takes to make it excused or unexcused. Thems the rules. I see nothing wrong with their actions.

You want to take your kid out of the learning environment but then bitch when they don't learn. Attendance rules are not the education problems we should be focusing on. Besides, the parents have a 3 month window where the vacation could have been planned and not had this problem.

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
CJF

Member # 41971
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLips View Post
Iím not worried about it at all. With her laying on her side in bed. Right ear buried in a pillow, she can hear me whisper from a foot away in the quietest sound i can make.
That's great, but please tell me you're still going to have her checked out by a doctor.
CJF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 02:02 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
does it bother you that he is a hypocrite? why would he participate in something he won't support with his own kids?

I doesnít bother me and I donít see him as a hypocrite. He makes every effort he can and he speaks out against the bull shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 109329
Take it to a real audiologist for accurate testing. I have a copy of mine so you can get idea of an actual hearing testing. Would someone be willing to upload my hearing test? PM me the email or text number and I'll forward it for an actual hearing test chart.

Oh and huh?
What? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2018, 10:25 PM   #47 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Why am I not bothered? Because I don’t give a fuck about them.

When someone asked, they gave the district more input into their life than they should have. It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

But, Until there is a consequence, it’s a guideline and we have no clue as to what the repercussions of a unexcused abscence in your state is. They aren’t unenrolling the kid. They probably aren’t doing ANYTHING for under a week of “unexcused” absences. So how is that treating a kid like property?

You are tied up in the verbiage or label of “unexcused”. Until you know what it means, why worry about it? Vacation like you want.

Last edited by Grumpy356; 10-13-2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Punctuation marks
Grumpy356 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 18369
I have a hearing loss. When I was like 6 I had a growth behind my ear drum. I had massive ear aches and the doc did not know what was wrong until they gutted my ear and removed it. They say if left alone I would have been dead in another year. So IMO if your kid's complain of ear aches get it figured out. just sayin
Wazzobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018, 06:49 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 49939
She is bound to become Mike W.
comeonstart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2018, 07:16 AM   #50 (permalink)
dry-rotter of tires

Member # 63587
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLips View Post
I’m not worried about it at all. With her laying on her side in bed. Right ear buried in a pillow, she can hear me whisper from a foot away in the quietest sound i can make.
Speaking from experience here, that’s not really the way hearing loss works... it’s frequency-specific; in my case, it’s very possible I’d hear that whisper fine, at least in my right ear. Meanwhile, I can’t hear my alarm clock for shit, and I’m just generally awakened by my wife beating on me to shut the damn clock off..

There are also entire testing fields beyond what was likely tested there: I have a tumor on one acoustic nerve, it got zapped about a year ago and I’m slowly recovering from it: at least they say I’m recovering. The last hearing test I had done, the base hearing test was unchanged, but my perception score was down 50%. That’s an entirely separate test, and to be honest it’s obviously right in real-world application: I can hear people talking at a level that sounds normal, but it’s just waaah waaah waaah in actual practice: supposedly the combinations of frequencies that allow you to put together the difference between, for example, a “t” and a “ch” may not be hitting on all cylinders: you could possibly hear the sound itself perfectly well, but can’t make the connections required for basic conversation. For example, my wife came in a few minutes ago and said there was something wrong with her father. I heard everything fine up until the second half of “father”, I heard “phone”. I then didn’t know why she got pissed when I said to just go get another one, that she’s had this one for years.

I get 3 tests at a baseline every time I go in now:

A ”standard” hearing test is just playing tones of different frequencies,you just tell them if you hear, or think you hear, a given tone of a given frequency. That generates the audiogram you posted.

The SPT, Speech Perception Test, has you repeat words, played at different volume levels... my problem with that, after taking it 10 times in the last couple of years, is that it’s rather subjective: you’re listening to the audiologist say the words, then you repeat them; that last time, they just assumed my regular hearing sucked more than it does, and cranked up the volume; I was getting a “blown speaker” effect, whole I really believe if they turned it down a bit my score would have improved. You’re also listening to different people, with different voices, etc. say “say the word “chair”, etc.: I can’t help but think that would have an effect.. I really want to see if that score improves with a different audi next time, I pulled hearing aids off for the first test, and she assumed I was stone cold deaf: getting right in front of my face where I could see her lips move and speaking REALLY loud... She just didn’t want to believe I could hear shit without the hearing aids in.

The third is basically tympanic movement: they put a sensor in your ear that plugs up all airflow, then you get some assorted sounds., etc. it does itself, you don’t have to say you heard it, (believe me, you’d hear it). Then it measures actual movement of the eardrum for any given sound they throw at it: I’d guess if you had ear tubes or a busted eardrum that wouldn’t work, but it does tell if the mechanisms in the inner ear are working right, if your inner ear is full of fluid, or whatever.

One way or another, get it tested by a real doctor, I think if it was me I’d just get a full appointment with an ENT rather than specifically with an audiologist. they generally have good audiologists working for/with them, and you get a lot more of a medical assessment of the results than the Audi alone will get you. The hearing tests are generally part of the ENT appointment in cases like this, they just do the test then send you back to the ENT with the results 20 minutes later..

Last edited by dwilliams35; 10-14-2018 at 10:15 AM.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in