Any of the new 4600 cars going to finish KOH 2019? - Page 46 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

View Poll Results: Will they finish?
V8 4Runner 19 10.44%
FJ80 8 4.40%
Colorado 15 8.24%
ROXOR 112 61.54%
Bacon will finish before any of these losers. 52 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #1126 (permalink)

Member # 731241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
It has the ever important snorkel
yeah man there is a lot of water at KOH
Old 11-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #1127 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudpucker View Post
Got a name? I'd like to follow the build and race efforts.
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...content_filter
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2019, 10:03 AM   #1128 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Dawson Allington drives the TJ that won the race. Jesse whooped all the stations wagons, of which there are many.

You might be mistaking points which Jesse did not chase. My buddies Josh and Jack with the blue WJ won the national points title and western points!
I must have got that mixed up then. My mistake.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 06:18 AM   #1129 (permalink)

Member # 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
It has the ever important snorkel
There are some deep water crossings out there on the lake bed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
mrboyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 07:02 AM   #1130 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
There are some guys from Colorado building another 4 gen 4skinner for this year's KOH. I still say the rack and pinion is going to be the weakest link in any 97-up Toyota IFS build. They are posting on instafamous under @ sherpamotorsports.
Aren’t trophy trucks R&P? Just have make them fit.

My mid travel Tundra has R&P with the total chaos rack bushings. Running 33-34 inch tires, it has been better than my previous T100 with a steering box and idler arm, etc. the idler being the weakest link.

Last edited by DMG; 11-13-2019 at 07:04 AM.
DMG is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 12:08 PM   #1131 (permalink)
DKA Motorsports

Member # 15585
We are building a '86 Comanche essentially from bone stock for the Ultra4 2020 season. We will have it done for KOH, but anybody's guess on how well we will do. We will also be racing the UTV again, hopefully this time with my wife getting some driving time..
#4909 Ultra4 YXZ1000R UTV
#4659 Ultra4 Jeep Comanche
1994 2 door XJ trail rig
Follow our racing adventures on Instagram
tribal4krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #1132 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Stumbled upon this a bit ago, 4600 Ranger build

4600 ultra4 ranger build (PICTURE AND DETAIL HEAVY) | The Ranger Station
Old 11-13-2019, 04:05 PM   #1133 (permalink)

Member # 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
Arenít trophy trucks R&P? Just have make them fit.

My mid travel Tundra has R&P with the total chaos rack bushings. Running 33-34 inch tires, it has been better than my previous T100 with a steering box and idler arm, etc. the idler being the weakest link.
I have seen plenty of production racks in several different brands of vehicles fail when pushed with 35" tires and locked front diffs. The trophy truck rack would be the ideal upgrade for any 4600 providing they can figure out mounting and operation.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not..." - Thomas Jefferson.
Old 11-13-2019, 04:14 PM   #1134 (permalink)

Member # 3937
Quote:
Originally Posted by posford View Post

I've always thought one of these would make a great 4600 platform. I do question the decision of using the TTB pivot drop brackets over a set of cut and turned beams. Even with the drop brackets, the A4LD is going to be the weak link. Sucks that Ford never put a good transmission option in the Ranger.

Old 11-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #1135 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 175478
Someone is more worried about free shit then making it more then 25 miles before ripping off an A-AFM
Attached Images

Old 11-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #1136 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:

Granted I haven't read the full rules but are axle swaps fair game for 4600? Seems stupid to do 9" + D44 when you can go D50 up front and whatever you want out back (D60 from an E-series would work well for his application) for a similiar amount of work and have 8-lug all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyle View Post
I've always thought one of these would make a great 4600 platform. I do question the decision of using the TTB pivot drop brackets over a set of cut and turned beams. Even with the drop brackets, the A4LD is going to be the weak link. Sucks that Ford never put a good transmission option in the Ranger.
Drop brackets keep the camber under control better and usually get you a little more up-travel than cut and turned beams of the same ride height. I don't really see a strong advantage for C&T in this application. A4LD is definitely the weak link but it has a tall enough 4th that he can gear those axles as low as they'll go and have all the speed he needs which should keep it alive.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 11-13-2019 at 04:55 PM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 05:28 PM   #1137 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:

That steering will be just fine.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #1138 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Granted I haven't read the full rules but are axle swaps fair game for 4600? Seems stupid to do 9" + D44 when you can go D50 up front and whatever you want out back (D60 from an E-series would work well for his application) for a similiar amount of work and have 8-lug all around.

Drop brackets keep the camber under control better and usually get you a little more up-travel than cut and turned beams of the same ride height. I don't really see a strong advantage for C&T in this application. A4LD is definitely the weak link but it has a tall enough 4th that he can gear those axles as low as they'll go and have all the speed he needs which should keep it alive.
Axle swap ok, must be original style suspension. Coils stay coils, leafs stay leafs, solid axles stay solid, and a arm stays a arm, ttb stays ttb.

The Dana 50 option is tougher because it's not been done as much and requires fuckery for axle shaft lengths. 44 is pretty cut and dry. Little Ranger engine isn't putting down enough power to hurt the 44.

We've disagreed on the cut and turns affect on travel in the past, I'll let that dead horse remain.

83-85 ran a C5 auto which could be built nicely. That and a done up 2.3 could be reliable, but you'd need a doubler and high gears, or no fear of revving to the moon.
They do make some upgraded A4LD components, not sure how well they'll last though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
That steering will be just fine.

Pretty common with the prerunner guys, but I agree I'd be looking to go heims or at least Chevy 1 ton TREs
Old 11-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #1139 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Pretty common with the prerunner guys, but I agree I'd be looking to go heims or at least Chevy 1 ton TREs
Ironic that posford comments on the POS Ford.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #1140 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Axle swap ok, must be original style suspension. Coils stay coils, leafs stay leafs, solid axles stay solid, and a arm stays a arm, ttb stays ttb.

The Dana 50 option is tougher because it's not been done as much and requires fuckery for axle shaft lengths. 44 is pretty cut and dry. Little Ranger engine isn't putting down enough power to hurt the 44.

We've disagreed on the cut and turns affect on travel in the past, I'll let that dead horse remain.

83-85 ran a C5 auto which could be built nicely. That and a done up 2.3 could be reliable, but you'd need a doubler and high gears, or no fear of revving to the moon.
They do make some upgraded A4LD components, not sure how well they'll last though.

I'm more worried about the 44 sized u joints than anything else which is why I suggested 50. You can pretty much blow them up on command in a Bronco with 35s and lockers. He's gonna be coming in very close to the weight of a full size truck with all his cage and whatnot.

I don't think engine reliability matters thaaat much. All the options are decent enough as long as you can keep the right fluids in the right places. There's no reason to do anything other than 4.0 or 2.3 though. The intermediate v6s can't make the power and they can't rev enough to make up for it like the 2.3 can. That said, good fucking luck building a 2.3 these days. Most of the speed parts aren't made anymore.

Steering is pretty par for the course for a Ranger build of that caliber but that steering gear is plenty capable of making a pretzel if he gets unlucky in the rocks.

In 4600 you're gonna have some weak points no matter what so it does at some level come down to luck. There is nothing new in this build. Everything is tried and true and the performance is known. If the driver has a lot of seat time in similar vehicles and knows what they can survive and what it takes to break them he may very well get lucky.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 11-13-2019 at 05:53 PM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #1141 (permalink)

Member # 143737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
Ironic that posford comments on the POS Ford.
Not only did I comment, as a matter of fact I posted the link to the POS too

Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
I'm more worried about the 44 sized u joints than anything else which is why I suggested 50. You can pretty much blow them up on command in a Bronco with 35s and lockers. He's gonna be coming in very close to the weight of a full size truck with all his cage and whatnot.

In 4600 you're gonna have some weak points no matter what so it does at some level come down to luck.
U joints are tougher to kill when you actually but Spicer ones not that Duralast bullshit. But it is hammers. Idfk it definitely comes down to luck
Old 11-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #1142 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribal4krawler View Post
We are building a '86 Comanche essentially from bone stock for the Ultra4 2020 season. We will have it done for KOH, but anybody's guess on how well we will do. We will also be racing the UTV again, hopefully this time with my wife getting some driving time..

Lies, unless a build thread is posted!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gregj50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #1143 (permalink)

Member # 178200
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj50 View Post

He has one!!!!!

Pay attention ya fuckstick!!!!!

STFUG

Last edited by SLOWPOKE693; 11-14-2019 at 12:00 AM. Reason: To add STFUG!!!!!
SLOWPOKE693 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 07:06 AM   #1144 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:

There are heims....but the rest of that looks stock
Old 11-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #1145 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWPOKE693 View Post
He has one!!!!!

Pay attention ya fuckstick!!!!!

STFUG

Yuuup.... your right..... found it last night !!!!!
Still need to catch up on it though....
Will report back with my opinion!!!!

Old 11-14-2019, 08:06 AM   #1146 (permalink)
DKA Motorsports

Member # 15585
It's in the Jeep Cherokee subsection... I've been super busy with work and traveling but going on my final work trip of the year next week and then after that we'll start seeing a ton of progress and hopefully itll be running/driving/ready to shake down by Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregj50 View Post

#4909 Ultra4 YXZ1000R UTV
#4659 Ultra4 Jeep Comanche
1994 2 door XJ trail rig
Follow our racing adventures on Instagram
tribal4krawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #1147 (permalink)

Member # 151818
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribal4krawler View Post
It's in the Jeep Cherokee subsection... I've been super busy with work and traveling but going on my final work trip of the year next week and then after that we'll start seeing a ton of progress and hopefully itll be running/driving/ready to shake down by Christmas.

Iíll be watching!!!

Old 11-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #1148 (permalink)

Member # 188882
Quote:

i think he needs this setup, steering and suspension

EDIT: quote from his build thread--- "steering is an old 7sx desert truck trick. used 2wd 1991 ford explorer steering which is pre bent. as you can see it runs fairly flat with the beam. we will see how well it holds up. because we are using drop brackets swing set steering isnt really a viable option for us.
you can also see how i reinforced the driver pivot after moving the bolt hole over."

i dont see where he explains his reasons for doing a drop mount for the axle though

Last edited by arickvan; 11-14-2019 at 12:39 PM.
arickvan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in