SR71 ground speed story - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum
 
Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2018, 05:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Realsquash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Member # 2578
Location: SE WI
Posts: 2,226
SR71 ground speed story

I love this story.

Realsquash is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 05:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Member # 81613
Posts: 1,065
Report to the fail thread
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 05:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Realsquash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Member # 2578
Location: SE WI
Posts: 2,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Report to the fail thread
You must be the Navy guy.
Realsquash is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 05:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rock God
 
rugby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Member # 49997
Location: houston, texas
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realsquash View Post
You must be the Navy guy.
Or the fact that you didnt post anything at all. Hence the fail thread.
rugby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 05:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Member # 102467
Location: Trapped in Hella Land
Posts: 22,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby View Post
Or the fact that you didnt post anything at all. Hence the fail thread.
Quote his post and the link shows up.

More VS goodness.
__________________
The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
/

I much prefer the sharpest criticism of a single intelligent man to the thoughtless approval of the masses - Johannes Kepler
LigBoozer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 06:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
arickvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Member # 188882
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 248
I've heard this before, it's usually referred to as the LA speed check
arickvan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 06:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
arickvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Member # 188882
Location: Oakley CA
Posts: 248
Another SR71 pilot has a story about buzzing the Sacramento airport tower that pretty good too
arickvan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Realsquash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Member # 2578
Location: SE WI
Posts: 2,226
Yeah I did it correctly. The server must need more coffee this morning.
Realsquash is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 06:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Member # 108006
Location: Central, Il
Posts: 1,375
Shows up just fine for me.
JunkCJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 06:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
bigun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29037
Location: Mountainair NM
Posts: 13,653
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AyHH9G9et0
__________________
“Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one..." C S Lewis
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Bunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 41059
Location: Monroe, Wa
Posts: 2,637
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
The SAM outrun story is just as good
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
Registered User
 
bigun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29037
Location: Mountainair NM
Posts: 13,653
In the late 80s I had my scanner at work set on the ham bands one night a bunch of guys were talking and one of the guys told this story "He was flying a cargo plane out of LA and as they headed to Denver he heard the Nevada tower arguing with a military plane wanting him to turn on his transponder, the military guy kept telling him no finally the guy said if you have any of your trash haulers above 100,000 feet I'll turn it on" as you guess it was an SR-71
__________________
“Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one..." C S Lewis
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!
 
sceep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member # 10798
Posts: 46,918
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
In the late 80s I had my scanner at work set on the ham bands one night a bunch of guys were talking and one of the guys told this story "He was flying a cargo plane out of LA and as they headed to Denver he heard the Nevada tower arguing with a military plane wanting him to turn on his transponder, the military guy kept telling him no finally the guy said if you have any of your trash haulers above 100,000 feet I'll turn it on" as you guess it was an SR-71



The record ceiling in an sr71 was only 85,069'

An a12 blackbird hit 90,000'
__________________
My mom wrote a kids book!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.

Last edited by sceep; 11-09-2018 at 09:50 AM.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered User
 
bigun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Member # 29037
Location: Mountainair NM
Posts: 13,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceep View Post



The record ceiling in an sr71 was only 85,069'

An a12 blackbird hit 90,000'
Hey it ain't my story LOL if you think internet stories are fun wait till you get a group of old Ham radio operators on late at night!
Kind of like I heard you actually completed a build!
__________________
“Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one..." C S Lewis

Last edited by bigun; 11-09-2018 at 10:04 AM.
bigun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 10:06 AM   #15 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!
 
sceep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Member # 10798
Posts: 46,918
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
Hey it ain't my story LOL if you think internet stories are fun wait till you get a group of old Ham radio operators on late at night!
Kind of like I heard you actually completed a build!

__________________
My mom wrote a kids book!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Bo185's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Member # 48545
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 5,241
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceep View Post



The record ceiling in an sr71 was only 85,069'

An a12 blackbird hit 90,000'
That is what's unclassified...
__________________
'73 IH Scout II Vortec 6.0L 4L65e np241
'73 IH 1210 Travelette SV392 V8, T34, 60/14bff 4.56's 35's
'01 VW Beetle TDI-50mpg or better!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Realsquash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Member # 2578
Location: SE WI
Posts: 2,226
Many Blackbird pilots talk about going over 85,000 feet.
Realsquash is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Member # 1956
Posts: 5,539
Meh, slow. I personally seen an aircraft at the Utah test range that easily smokes a 71.
__________________
The forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe because it’s handle was made of wood

Last edited by Shadow man; 11-09-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Shadow man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User
 
larboc@hotmail.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Member # 70148
Location: da U.P. of MI eh?
Posts: 6,237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man View Post
Meh, slow. I personally seen an aircraft at the Utah test range that easily smokes a 71.
So then go talk about it in the 1up thread.
__________________
I don't pay nothing for anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
Rock God
 
mjs408's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Member # 6764
Location: M.C. IA
Posts: 2,024
Anybody here own a copy of the book "sled driver"
mjs408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 10:52 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Member # 13655
Location: Redstone Canyon, CO
Posts: 2,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs408 View Post
Anybody here own a copy of the book "sled driver"
I was at Reno this year, and a buddy who now flies A380's for Ethihad purchased Sled Driver and had Brian Shul sign it for him. Was one of the highlights, of many, for my mate.

But even better, as we are Checkered Flag club members, one of the speakers was an ex-air force pilot who was part of the development team of the A-12, the prototype to the SR71. Some of the stuff he spoke about was incredible. Had to resign his commission as the development fell under the CIA program so technically he became one of the spooks. Out running SAM's and anything else the Russians could lob into the air. Most of the development he could talk about was at Groom, he showed us quite a lot of declassified flight manuals and technical documents. The hour or so was certainly not enough, he could have entertained us for hours. Was kind enough to stick around and chat for another hour or so.

As good as that was, personal highlight of Reno this year for me was meeting Bill "Tiger" Destafani, multiple unlimited Champion and pilot of Strega. Really cool to meet one of my heroes of aviation. Another hour that went by too quickly. An absolute honor to spend some time with the gent.
__________________
89 XJ, 8" lift, 38's, locked F&R
98 LR Discovery - street poser
99 F350 PSD 4x4 Jeep Tow Truck
2003 Mini Cooper S - street go-kart
2004 Subaru WRX STi - Vette eater
2005 Mini Cooper S - street go-kart on LSD
Pile of tube, 383 SBC, and some buggy plans
XtremeJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #22 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice
 
Bunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Member # 41059
Location: Monroe, Wa
Posts: 2,637
Send a message via Yahoo to Bunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow man View Post
Meh, slow. I personally seen an aircraft at the Utah test range that easily smokes a 71.
Id wager there's some mercury involved.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!
 
MattS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Member # 386
Location: Omaha, NE USA
Posts: 25,950
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Quote:
Originally Posted by arickvan View Post
Another SR71 pilot has a story about buzzing the Sacramento airport tower that pretty good too
IMO it's better.

MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #24 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Realsquash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Member # 2578
Location: SE WI
Posts: 2,226
Awesome stuff. I think flying in the military would have been great. Oh well, too old, fat, and stupid to do it now
Realsquash is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2018, 01:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Member # 684666
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeJ View Post
I was at Reno this year, and a buddy who now flies A380's for Ethihad purchased Sled Driver and had Brian Shul sign it for him. Was one of the highlights, of many, for my mate.

But even better, as we are Checkered Flag club members, one of the speakers was an ex-air force pilot who was part of the development team of the A-12, the prototype to the SR71. Some of the stuff he spoke about was incredible. Had to resign his commission as the development fell under the CIA program so technically he became one of the spooks. Out running SAM's and anything else the Russians could lob into the air. Most of the development he could talk about was at Groom, he showed us quite a lot of declassified flight manuals and technical documents. The hour or so was certainly not enough, he could have entertained us for hours. Was kind enough to stick around and chat for another hour or so.

As good as that was, personal highlight of Reno this year for me was meeting Bill "Tiger" Destafani, multiple unlimited Champion and pilot of Strega. Really cool to meet one of my heroes of aviation. Another hour that went by too quickly. An absolute honor to spend some time with the gent.
Did I show you the picture of Jack Roush and I in Stregas pits a few years ago? THAT was damn cool.

Last edited by jedijesus2; 11-09-2018 at 01:20 PM.
jedijesus2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.