05 GMC Sierra SLE CrewCab 127Kmi time bomb? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 104966
As everyone mentioned about the rust-prone spots on those trucks, something to think about when searching the southern states for a truck. Double check to make sure it's a 4x4. Up here in MN it's assumed, down south it's not. I found a 2500 in LA I wanted. I fell in love with it, went and looked at it, had a lift, and "the look" i wanted. It was 2wd...

Craigslist is my go-to spot for truck shopping for rust free and I've bought quite a few in NC, GA and LA. Texas trucks seem to be pretty beat up.
bbaxter51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #52 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 32585
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTF? View Post
never seen a 4x4 with 3.42's; is is a work truck/ low option LS?

3.73's are darn near perfect for economy/ driveability/ moderate towing in a half ton platform.

Side note- I dont have the gov lock Limited slip (RPO G80) in one of my 4x4 burbs- which is also relatively rare to find. It's irritating as hell that it spins on loose / wet surfaces more than you'd expect even with AT's
It's a mid option LS 4 door. Getting on the interstate in a hurry it'll hang in 2nd gear to about 80
Old 11-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 7412
I looked for a clean 00 to 07 regular cab short bed 5.3. fuck me, they are proud of them. I can get a way better deal on an escalade that cost twice as much new. I picked up my wife 04 escalade with 165k on it with new tires and garaged its whole life for 4000. I got tired of looking at 150k trucks for 10k, and my 06 power stroke was wanting a set of injectors. so I found a 14 gmc regular cab with a 5.3 and traded in the stroke. good fucking riddance.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 28604
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaxter51 View Post
As everyone mentioned about the rust-prone spots on those trucks, something to think about when searching the southern states for a truck. Double check to make sure it's a 4x4. Up here in MN it's assumed, down south it's not. I found a 2500 in LA I wanted. I fell in love with it, went and looked at it, had a lift, and "the look" i wanted. It was 2wd...

Craigslist is my go-to spot for truck shopping for rust free and I've bought quite a few in NC, GA and LA. Texas trucks seem to be pretty beat up.
Haha, that's the 1st thing I look for!

Looking at TX trucks, I'd agree. Not seeing much in GA, but MO, TN, KY areas seem to be in (typically) better shape.
Rerock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
never seen a 4x4 with 3.42's; is is a work truck/ low option LS?

3.73's are darn near perfect for economy/ driveability/ moderate towing in a half ton platform.

Side note- I dont have the gov lock Limited slip (RPO G80) in one of my 4x4 burbs- which is also relatively rare to find. It's irritating as hell that it spins on loose / wet surfaces more than you'd expect even with AT's
Girlfriend had a 05 z71 with every bell and whistle. 3.42s are terrible and wanted to kick down at the slighlest grade running 80. Ive picked up a couple 2wds with 3.23s, worthless.

I had a 05 4x4 tahoe with 4.10s. Exact same mileage with 100x the performance. If i had to own a gm gasser, i wouldnt buy one without 4.10s, fuck anything else. Theres no advantage to the higher gears.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:47 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 55396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post

I had a 05 4x4 tahoe with 4.10s. Exact same mileage with 100x the performance. If i had to own a gm gasser, i wouldnt buy one without 4.10s, fuck anything else. There's no advantage to the higher gears.

4.10's has to hurt 80 mph economy by 1-2 MPG's. perhaps its approximately net-neutral to 3.42's downshifting sucking gas?

I've got 4.10's in my 2500hd and feel like shes revving to the moon unloaded at 75mph vs the 3.73's in the burb (.05 taller OD probably contributes a bit to this as well)
Old 11-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer1 View Post
I looked for a clean 00 to 07 regular cab short bed 5.3. fuck me, they are proud of them. I can get a way better deal on an escalade that cost twice as much new. I picked up my wife 04 escalade with 165k on it with new tires and garaged its whole life for 4000. I got tired of looking at 150k trucks for 10k, and my 06 power stroke was wanting a set of injectors. so I found a 14 gmc regular cab with a 5.3 and traded in the stroke. good fucking riddance.
That or an Gmc Denali of the same vintage is probably gonna be my wifes next vehicle.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by TireFryerSS View Post
That or an Gmc Denali of the same vintage is probably gonna be my wifes next vehicle.
I was looking at Escalades and Denalis the last time around because I wanted the 6.2. I don't know if it was just the ones I was looking at or what, but the Escalades just don't seem to age as well. I also don't care for Cadillac's central controls but I'm sure that's something you'd just get used to. We bought a Denali.

Last edited by east_beast; 11-26-2018 at 11:05 AM.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018, 11:25 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerock View Post
Thanks.

It's in the rust belt, so where do these things tend to rot first?
How are the rear fenders and rockers not rotten being in MN? Even in Iowa there isn't a GM truck that isn't a rotting mess. Some look pretty new for the rust they seem to have
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 121718
Quote:
the digital climate control does all sorts of whacky shit in these as well; check for blend door functionality moving the air to various vent settings/ recirc and also that the fan comes on as soon as the truck starts up. Blend door motors and fan ballast resistors can be reasonably replaced but its $150-$200 ea to get a shop to fix.

Also the heated seats love to short; check to see that they come on and stay on for 5min +

03 was the first year of Drive by wire, so there's a $150 throttle body there as well on the 03-05 trucks around 150k.
Blend door motors are free to fix, its usually just some dirt under the contacts. Fan motor controls are the pricey shit to fix, but cause most of the problems.

Never had a heated seat break or a Throttle body go bad yet I'm at 180K. Everything else I'd believe though minus the 4l60 BS.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 3236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
Girlfriend had a 05 z71 with every bell and whistle. 3.42s are terrible and wanted to kick down at the slighlest grade running 80. Ive picked up a couple 2wds with 3.23s, worthless.

I had a 05 4x4 tahoe with 4.10s. Exact same mileage with 100x the performance. If i had to own a gm gasser, i wouldnt buy one without 4.10s, fuck anything else. Theres no advantage to the higher gears.
The whole 3.73 or 4.11's for towing is only relevant to the 4 speed trucks, for a 5.3 / 6 speed truck 3.42's are the deep towing gears...

For a occasional tower - mostly DD the 5.3 / 6 speed 6L80 combination is much, much nicer as the 4.03 first gear in the 6L80 will make the overall ratio with a 3.42 rear end deeper (13.8) than a 4L60 with a 3.06 first gear and 4.11 rear end (12.6) but still have a ~30% higher top ratio for unloaded use (2.28 for 6L80/3.42 vs 2.86 for the 4L60/4.11).

When towing there is not the annoying hunting between 3rd and 4th that the 4L60 does plus you can lock out 6th, 5th & 6th, 4th, 5th & 6th etc. with the 6L80.

5.3 / 6L80 trucks with the tow package will come with a tranny cooler and engine oil cooler as part of the package and a trans temp gauge is part of the information display.

And when I went from pretty much the same truck in 4.8 / 4 speed / 3.73's to 5.3 / 6 speed / 3.42's with the AFM my mileage went up 2-3 mpg.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:59 PM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 55396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckupq View Post
Blend door motors are free to fix, its usually just some dirt under the contacts. Fan motor controls are the pricey shit to fix, but cause most of the problems.

Never had a heated seat break or a Throttle body go bad yet I'm at 180K. Everything else I'd believe though minus the 4l60 BS.
Fan motor Ballast resistor fails on like 90% of them.

Whatever motor controls the HVAC sucking air off the cowl is stuck on mine now; AC drawing 100+ degree air off the cowl means 78* is about as cold as it gets in the cabin in full sunlight in Jul/ Aug; .\

Digital HVAC controls also have a more moderate failure rate, but common to read of on the forums.

Heated seats in the 99-02 trucks were rock solid. Heated seats on the 03-06 trucks fawk up often; I haven't dug deep into the cause- but a strong majority of them that I have been in don't work right..

Last edited by WTF?; 11-26-2018 at 01:01 PM.
WTF? is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 121718
Quote:
Fan motor Ballast resistor fails on like 90% of them.

Whatever motor controls the HVAC sucking air off the cowl is stuck on mine now; AC drawing 100+ degree air off the cowl means 78* is about as cold as it gets in the cabin in full sunlight in Jul/ Aug; .\

Digital HVAC controls also have a more moderate failure rate, but common to read of on the forums.

Heated seats in the 99-02 trucks were rock solid. Heated seats on the 03-06 trucks fawk up often; I haven't dug deep into the cause- but a strong majority of them that I have been in don't work right..

HVAC actuators can be cleaned with a q tip and rubbing alcohol, they're just a bitch to get out. Fan ballast controller will fail on 100% of the trucks, mine did and made my whole system go wonky. with the exception of the ballast control and the shit placement of the actuators most of my HVAC problems have been cheap to fix and diagnose.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in