I gave up on buying pritner ink cartriges - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2018, 02:29 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 66137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
Not trying to diss on your recommendation or anything, but when it comes to electronics, I find the combination of the brand HP, the term "professional" and a $75 price tag to be guaranteed to be garbage.
Same. I've had a couple bad HP printers and my parents have had a bad one. I went back to Canon and haven't had any problems since.
frank_c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 07:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_c View Post
Same. I've had a couple bad HP printers and my parents have had a bad one. I went back to Canon and haven't had any problems since.
I never had any issues with the HP printers Iíve own through the years and wouldnít have bought the last one I have if not for the old one being out dated.

That said, this last one has software issues imo. Itís an injet that faxes copies scans prints two sides of a page etc etc. itís wireless also but has the USB plugin available for computer hook up < thankfully. When I sent prints to it via wireless, itíll sometimes print one page of multiple sent and then thinks itís done itís job.

I was able to update the software in it once but after that I gave up on it after spending hours trying to figure it out. So I bought a long ass cable and run it when I need to print something out. The distance isnít the factor either as itís just one room over and I have both my router and laptop right next to the printer made no difference.

For now Iíll keep it as I donít print very much at all at home.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 55560
My Brother wireless laser has been going strong for the past decade or so. Last 2.5 years it's been in the garage where its 120+ in the summer and sometimes dips below freezing in the winter. Just keeps on trucking.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 80349
Fuck ink and printers. I be mad this past week. Mom's printer ran out and she bought refilled cartridges on ebay. Turns out they don't work and printer is error-ed to death. POS.

Then my printer stopped printing cuz no ink so I bought a new black cartridge thinking that it will print black and white like every other printer I had but nope, it shows an error message saying I need to replace other three cartridges. Mother $#$%. So i buy the color cartridges and install them. Suddenly my black ink cartridge is empty.

Time for some target practice.
muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 09:55 AM   #30 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9835
II don't use mine but every few months. Every time I go to use it the ink has dried up. I don't know a thing about any of this printer stuff. Is laser the way to go for my needs? Can someone recommend me a cheap laser printer that can go months without being used?
ChiScouter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyJeep View Post
I gave up on printing shit because it is no longer 1995.
Aside from shipping labels I'd have to agree. I wish there was a cheap black only printer that wouldn't dry out from non use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 164501
My HP Officejet Pro 8610 never dries up and I only print a couple times a month. I use the Instant Ink program and never have to worry about running out of ink.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/us/en/l/
Old 11-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiScouter View Post
II don't use mine but every few months. Every time I go to use it the ink has dried up. I don't know a thing about any of this printer stuff. Is laser the way to go for my needs? Can someone recommend me a cheap laser printer that can go months without being used?
I like the Brother line. The Brother HLL2370dw has all the WiFi,mobile device, and Ethernet support. Like with all cheap printers, they only come with a starter cartridge, so you'd want to pick up a high yield toner cartridge
Old 11-25-2018, 10:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
I went with a Brother HL-5450DN many years ago. I'm on my third laser cartridge. Otherwise rock solid.

It wasn't exactly a cheap throwaway given that it is a network printer and does automatic duplexing. I wanted the network printer because I have way too many computers in the house. Duplexing is nice for two sided printing.

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Aside from shipping labels I'd have to agree. I wish there was a cheap black only printer that wouldn't dry out from non use.
There is... laser printers. Toner doesn't dry out. It's plastic that gets melted onto the paper.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 18432
After reading this thread and agreeing with much that's been said I ordered this for $50,
It's not a color printer but black and white is all I really need.
https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...ochrome-Laser/

Last edited by FATBOB2; 11-25-2018 at 10:47 AM.
FATBOB2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
hp deskjet 720, mine's dated july 97, still works but you've gotta use oddball drivers to get it going with any modern OS, but hey, it's old enough to drink

or really anything old enough to take HP #45 cartridges
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Or just buy generic ink/toner refills for 1/20th the price sure you get a dud every once in a while but so?

I have a old Canon laser MFD (that I bought 12 years ago at a black Friday sale at Fry's for $99) that still works just fine. All its life only fed it $5 toner cartridges. So you are doing something wrong
Old 11-28-2018, 09:12 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 210335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
Not trying to diss on your recommendation or anything, but when it comes to electronics, I find the combination of the brand HP, the term "professional" and a $75 price tag to be guaranteed to be garbage.

How may years have you been using those?
Yea, HP went downhill once they stopped using the Z80 and started to import programmers from India and keep them isolated from the world in their own "safe" house so they would not known their $8-$10 per hour for skilled labor was pitiful.
4x4prepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 AM   #40 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
So.....

Recommend me a printer. Must be wireless, and preferably Bluetooth.

Iím willing to spend money, I just want it to work every time. Iíd like color, and good ink management.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy356 View Post
So.....

Recommend me a printer. Must be wireless, and preferably Bluetooth.

Iím willing to spend money, I just want it to work every time. Iíd like color, and good ink management.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/c...s~abcat0511003

Buy a laser printer. Toner isn't cheap but it never dries out and you don't have to drive to Costco or print at work.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 11:30 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 3945
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidolyons View Post
DWT is right, you know. New printers get the intro trial sized ink. That's how they get you. Cheap ass printer for under $100. Cost $200 in ink to refill it.

We got tired of dried up ink. Got a color laser printer HP100 MP175. ~$200 on sale at one of the office stores. Toner is ~$45/color black/cyan/magenta/yellow and lasts a long time, doesn't dry up if you don't use it for a long time.
This.

I have run laser for a long time. I had a 1994 HP Laser 4L that I got rid of around 8 years ago because I finally ran out of toner and replacements were expensive since it was so old.

Now I have n 8 year old color Samsung laser which I rarely use but it always works. My all in one inkjet has long dried up and died and is relegated to scanning duties only.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 3945
Quote:
Basic black and white laser printer.

The toner is just powder and does not dry out. I had an old HP (when they were built like tanks) that sat for 10 years and still worked great after putting a few prints through it.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:01 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
Toner isn't cheap but it never dries out
but they do put chips in the toner cartridges to cut you off at X number of pages, or X number of days regardless of toner content

kind of funny buying the refill kit and then getting another thousand or more pages just by swapping the chip, not adding the toner or anything
Old 11-28-2018, 06:51 PM   #45 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
I have been buying the epson ink tank versions. no more cartridges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hgico63M30
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 39564
Ink sucks, but I like the scanner part of the cheap multi-function device. At least I did.
Now I have a nice scanner, and a nice laser printer.
Life is good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rig Rater Score 721

Last edited by NakedJeeper; 11-28-2018 at 07:02 PM.
NakedJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
but they do put chips in the toner cartridges to cut you off at X number of pages, or X number of days regardless of toner content

kind of funny buying the refill kit and then getting another thousand or more pages just by swapping the chip, not adding the toner or anything
For serious? where do I find this information because this is the first I've heard of it. Proof or anything other than "I read it on the pbb"?
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #48 (permalink)
mj

Member # 1919
Quote:
"I read it on the pbb"?

that is the ultimate proof
mj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2018, 05:41 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 40417
ink is for pens
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
For serious? where do I find this information because this is the first I've heard of it. Proof or anything other than "I read it on the pbb"?
my dell 1700 (actually a rebranded lexmark) from like 2004 had it, just died recently and tossed it so no pics direct from me, just look up toner refill kits and you'll see the chip they include that you glue on in place of the OE one

just a little 8 pin surface mount EEPROM chip on a little 1x1" board on the toner cartridge
Basically everyone hopped on that train in the mid-2000s, I looked around to try and find an old HP laserjet 5 (iirc) or older but didn't find one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in