Numismatists step on in - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 688970
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLAWHANK View Post
That walking liberty is rare. Google it
Good, I have a few of them, which makes them kinda not rare

santa V2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 270274
Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa V2.0 View Post
Or do I just... bring it to the local coin shop and have them figure out value.
Since you already HAVE a local coin shop you deal with (don't we all?), you look up WHAT these coins are, their gold/silver content (I got some German 5 mark coins a few years back - discovered they were 35% silver content, BEFORE I took 'em to Ye Olde Coin Shoppe), and THEN take 'em in.

There's a rip-off chain of shops around here, who'll pay you 60% spot on 'em; they get all the numbnut business. I've been dealing with my local shop for 12+ years now - they pay 92% of spot. They've been in business since 1959, and they know how to treat their customers. That's who you go TO...
Old 12-08-2018, 06:16 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 688970
Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
Since you already HAVE a local coin shop you deal with (don't we all?), you look up WHAT these coins are, their gold/silver content (I got some German 5 mark coins a few years back - discovered they were 35% silver content, BEFORE I took 'em to Ye Olde Coin Shoppe), and THEN take 'em in.

There's a rip-off chain of shops around here, who'll pay you 60% spot on 'em; they get all the numbnut business. I've been dealing with my local shop for 12+ years now - they pay 92% of spot. They've been in business since 1959, and they know how to treat their customers. That's who you go TO...
Yeah, I haven't even looked at the foreign stuff. Most of it is 10 mark BRD stuff. There are a couple commie coins too.

Do you remember where you did your research on the German coins?
Old 12-08-2018, 06:25 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 270274
Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Lightbulb

Just type in "German coin" plus "value (1 mark, 5 marks, 10 marks - should have a Roman numeral on it for face value somewhere)" in your search engine, and a "what's it worth" result WILL pop up on the first page of returns.

Last edited by The War Wagon; 12-08-2018 at 06:26 PM.
The War Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #55 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
I'm certain it's plate if it's even real. It is not magnetic, but I cannot find any record of a gold one being minted. Will break out the scale shortly...To be continued. Buying some bronco parts now
They did make a gold Kennedy half dollar commemorative but it has two dates on it and was only minted in 2014-15. It is only 3/4 oz though so a fairly resounding flop due to the oddball weight and over price.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:52 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 688970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
They did make a gold Kennedy half dollar commemorative but it has two dates on it and was only minted in 2014-15. It is only 3/4 oz though so a fairly resounding flop due to the oddball weight and over price.
Cool, way newer than anything I have. Most of this has been hiding in a safe deposit box for damn near half a century.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #57 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
https://www.pcgs.com/

you could always go ahead and get them graded first and then shop around the prices. PCGS is big enough that nobody should take an issue with their grading

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2018, 07:24 PM   #58 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Cool, way newer than anything I have. Most of this has been hiding in a safe deposit box for damn near half a century.
It is unfortunate that nugget is in a piece of jewelry. As a collectible, it likely has more value than anything else you've shown. Folks get a bit carried away with what they will pay for natural nuggets.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:31 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Interesting thread, I like crash coursing stuff I know nothing about
Old 12-08-2018, 08:45 PM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 688970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
It is unfortunate that nugget is in a piece of jewelry. As a collectible, it likely has more value than anything else you've shown. Folks get a bit carried away with what they will pay for natural nuggets.
It has it's own value as a piece of jewelry. Both pieces, the St. Gaudens and the nugget, have their own following as jewelry.

They are pretty bold statement pieces, especially here in Cali. The nugget on my wife's neck looks larger than any load I could ever blow on it
Old 12-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #61 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
It has it's own value as a piece of jewelry. Both pieces, the St. Gaudens and the nugget, have their own following as jewelry.

They are pretty bold statement pieces, especially here in Cali. The nugget on my wife's neck looks larger than any load I could ever blow on it
Not aware of any of the jewelry stuff so thanks for that. I had no idea about the nuggets and wouldn't have even looked into it as I have no interest but my neighbor is a metal detector nut and is fascinated by them. I looked them up to see what they were going for and it was surprising to me how collectable they are.

I have a couple but the St. Gaudens just don't do much for me. I much prefer the Buffalo and Buffalo proofs in regular and reverse given a choice. The Liberty 20$ is somewhat appealing but only due to the age.

Again, just personal taste, nothing more. I used to be a lot more interested until the Mint pissed me off. The Liberty coin the minted a couple years ago stomped all over a bunch of enthusiasm I had for this stuff.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:

The St gaudens is just in a holder. You can remove it. I have one of them. It is the only numismatic coin I have. I got it cheap. (For what it is) Even though it weighs an ounce, It is not an ounce of gold because not pure. I did some research on them and there are some that are very valuable. Of course, mine is not. But it still sells for the price of a one ounce spot.

I really like the nugget. Would you be interested in selling it? Do you know it's weight? Where are you located. I have an electronic device that reads gold content.

Edit, I guess I could have read the last line. Ha-ha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by waterhorse; 12-09-2018 at 09:33 AM.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 688970
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
The St gaudens is just in a holder. You can remove it. I have one of them. It is the only numismatic coin I have. I got it cheap. (For what it is) Even though it weighs an ounce, It is not an ounce of gold because not pure. I did some research on them and there are some that are very valuable. Of course, mine is not. But it still sells for the price of a one ounce spot.

I really like the nugget. Would you be interested in selling it? Do you know it's weight? Where are you located. I have an electronic device that reads gold content.

Edit, I guess I could have read the last line. Ha-ha.
Not interested in selling either piece at this time. I will have to take a closer look at the St. gaudens, but I believe it is soldered directly to the coin.

And to be fair, my wife is 4'11" and about 98 pounds, so everything looks big on her. Makes buying sparklies easy, 1 carat on her looks like a 2 carat on a normal person
Old 12-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 181868
Quote:
Not interested in selling either piece at this time. I will have to take a closer look at the St. gaudens, but I believe it is soldered directly to the coin.

And to be fair, my wife is 4'11" and about 98 pounds, so everything looks big on her. Makes buying sparklies easy, 1 carat on her looks like a 2 carat on a normal person
My wife is 5' 0", but she's built like Dolly Parten. So it has to be big or know one even notices. LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
waterhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2018, 10:49 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 225201
My Dad has binders full, rare if uncirc.

QUOTE=OUTLAWHANK;44211388]That walking liberty is rare. Google it[/QUOTE]
erictylers1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #66 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhorse View Post
My wife is 5' 0", but she's built like Dolly Parten. So it has to be big or know one even notices. LOL.
Pics or get the fuck out.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:09 AM   #67 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLAWHANK View Post
That walking liberty is rare. Google it
Did you?

In that grade, $9.00 maybe.

Quote:
Uear: 1945
Mint Mark: No mint mark
Face Value: 0.50 USD
Total Produced: 31,502,000 [?]
Silver Content: 90%
Silver Weight: .3617 oz.
Silver Melt: $5.27
Value: As a rough estimate of this coins value you can assume this coin in average condition will be valued at somewhere around $9, while one in certified mint state (MS+) condition could bring as much as $80 at auction. This price does not reference any standard coin grading scale. So when we say average, we mean in a similar condition to other coins issued in 1945, and mint state meaning it is certified MS+ by one of the top coin grading companies. [?].

Additional Info: 60% of all the Walking Liberties minted in 1945 were minted at the (p) Philadelphia mint. Because of this these coins are worth a bit less than the (d) or (s) minted silver half dollars. Each half dollar contains .36 oz of pure silver.

Numismatic vs Intrinsic Value: This coin in poor condition is still worth $3.73 more than the intrinsic value from silver content of $5.27, this coin is thus more valuable to a collector than to a silver bug. Coins worth more to a collectors may be a better long term investment. If the metal prices drop you will still have a coin that a numismatic would want to buy.

Want more info? Then read Coin Collecting Investment an article that details the benifits of coin collecting as a way to build wealth. Also learn how to properly store your coins.

Current silver melt value* for a 1945 No mint mark is $5.27 and this price is based off the current silver spot price of $14.58 This value is dynamic so bookmark it and comeback for an up to the minute silver melt value.

Want to join CoinTrackers an

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in