Which Fuel Injection Kit? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen ZJ View Post
I thought about going that way. I even still have my old Holley Commander 950 system that I used to run on a BB and still have it on my other Chevelle. Also put together some systems back in the day before all this new shit was out there.

Since this basically a complete car rebuild (I hauled home a shell) I just want to be able to put this one together on move onto the other stuff. If the car was running and I was just upgrading, I would use the Commander system as I don't mind doing the laptop tuning. I purposely kept around an older laptop with an RS232 port for this purpose (the USB to RS232 port converters did not always work with the older Windows)
IMHO it sounds like a center hung 750 cfm vacuum secondary holley would fit the bill pretty well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 09:01 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 1889
I was a bit scared of Microsquirt/Megasquirt at first, but now that it's on and operational, I'd do it again. Laptop is a necessity, but it does have knock, ignition, batch fire (2 channel) injection, and wasted spark (4 channel) ignition, for up to a V8 on a Microsquirt ($400ish with a basic starter harness pigtail). More capabilities are easily available with Megasquirt if you need sequential injection, more cylinders, etc.

It probably works out to more money if you're starting from a carb-ready intake, to go to multiport injection, but I already had injectors and almost all the sensors I needed. I chose to go distributorless ignition, could've saved a hundred bucks or so by not doing that.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I was a bit scared of Microsquirt/Megasquirt at first, but now that it's on and operational, I'd do it again. Laptop is a necessity, but it does have knock, ignition, batch fire (2 channel) injection, and wasted spark (4 channel) ignition, for up to a V8 on a Microsquirt ($400ish with a basic starter harness pigtail). More capabilities are easily available with Megasquirt if you need sequential injection, more cylinders, etc.

It probably works out to more money if you're starting from a carb-ready intake, to go to multiport injection, but I already had injectors and almost all the sensors I needed. I chose to go distributorless ignition, could've saved a hundred bucks or so by not doing that.
I looked at megasquirt before but couldn't honestly see the advantage of it over a gm TBI system which seemed simpler and more robust. Also a lot cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 09:06 AM   #29 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 3132
Send a message via AIM to NOODLES Send a message via Yahoo to NOODLES
LS swap it
NOODLES is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 716946
Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
Let me know how it works. I'm considering a 300 into Ranger swap (because I have so many 300s lying around) and I would go with the 2bbl Sniper.
The 2 barrel is the one I went with. I Should have it on in the next week or two depending on work and Iíll let you how I like it
1975f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 188446
I've been doing a lot of reading on this as I plan a FI upgrade in my '71 Chevy.

FITech - cheaper, tons of people have had great luck, but there are a bunch of frustrated users out there. Support isn't as good. Many stories of people pulling the FITech off their car, going with a sniper and being happy then.

Sniper - more expensive, better support, and seems like it is more likely to just work out of the box.

If you are going with a lower hp engine (400 or less) than a GM TBI kit is an inexpensive option - these guys have good reviews - (517) 975-4770 | Performance Fuel Injection Systems….Don't Gas It, Inject It!
ManNamedJed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 93177
I have holley sniper on mine built mopar 360 with a dual plane intake its quick and easy to setup and install. I also have an msd ready to run distributor and all I had to do for that was lock the advance in place set the timing and let the fuel injection control the rest.

krazykiller is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
Damn that sucks, loved that series

For engines with reasonably predictable airflow and off the shelf parts combos that aren't too radical, these systems work well.
you can still watch them for free on motrotrend.

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/d...ut/0_dgb5czp4/

they just parted ways with youtube.

because youtube sucks.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:49 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 131502
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOODLES View Post
LS swap it
Got another chevelle for that. Its next.
Frozen ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 23843
I have the fitech mean street on my BBC 70 Chevelle.... it runs good but don't be scared to do some research and make some tweaks yourself. The more miles with how you actually drive the car are what it needs to see.

I see more of my collection getting fitech's swapped in.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:13 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 6156
i like the sniper. have it running with a holley dual sync dist and an MSD CDI box on a 351w. def would buy again.

69 Bronco
04 Yukon Denali (beater)
18 Ram 2500
16 4Runner Trail
15 Can Am Commander XT-P
indulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 131502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
I have the fitech mean street on my BBC 70 Chevelle.... it runs good but don't be scared to do some research and make some tweaks yourself. The more miles with how you actually drive the car are what it needs to see.

I see more of my collection getting fitech's swapped in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indulf View Post
i like the sniper. have it running with a holley dual sync dist and an MSD CDI box on a 351w. def would buy again.
What did you guys use for fuel lines? Right now thinking of using the existing hard line as the return line (5/16") and running a new 3/8" line for the main feed. Car has an older tank in it before the extra vents on the corners so I'm thinking of drilling and welding on another vent line since there are only two currently and not looking to pressurize the tank (tank is brand new).

Or is it good to not run a return? I ran it that way on my old Holley Commander with no issues.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
I looked at megasquirt before but couldn't honestly see the advantage of it over a gm TBI system which seemed simpler and more robust. Also a lot cheaper.
instead of flashing chips you pry out
you flash the ECU while you're driving down the road

with the miniscule amount of tuning I actually take the time to do, it makes a huge difference
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
instead of flashing chips you pry out
you flash the ECU while you're driving down the road

with the miniscule amount of tuning I actually take the time to do, it makes a huge difference
MS will also do self learning with up to 8 widebands, and control an electronic transmission if you want.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:46 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 139345
O-ring technologies.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87manche View Post
MS will also do self learning with up to 8 widebands, and control an electronic transmission if you want.
the self learning thing cost extra when I was doing it
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 34052
I wont buy another Holley Sniper. My Son and I put one on his 360 CJ-7. He's on the second screen. The first one developed a glitch and would get blurry. We're fighting an idle issue, and Holley has not been helpful. I wish we had gone with a system that is OBDII. With Holley, you're stuck with their homoghey touchscreen as your only interface.
drydocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #43 (permalink)
Dinkerdoodledoo

Member # 10448
Send a message via Yahoo to Grendel
How much vacuum does the motor make?
Youre the only person on earth who knows all the details of your life, and thus, you are the most qualified captain of your own ship. Dont worry about justifying your course for pirate's sake. There's always someone here to tell you that you did it wrong.
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
you can still watch them for free on motrotrend.

Cool, I'll check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drydocker View Post
With Holley, you're stuck with their homoghey touchscreen as your only interface.
Seems like a legit downside....

Hogging out the dual plane will probably yield horrible distribution. Just get a single plane, even a cheap eghey knock off.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:35 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 131502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
How much vacuum does the motor make?
Never measured it but it only has a .520 lift cam in it. It ran good with the old commander 950 system when I had the engine in my old truggy.
Attached Images

Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
the self learning thing cost extra when I was doing it
It still does, but it's only the $60 (IIRC) license fee for Tuner Studio to unlock it. Assuming, obviously, that you already have O2 sensor(s) set up appropriately.

You can alternately run it in closed-loop no-laptop and tell it to self-adjust off the O2, but it doesn't appear to "learn" in a permanent way from that, the VE table is unchanged, it just adjusts from that. So it'll "learn" but once it's powered down, it'll go back to baseline.

I haven't looked in a while, but I'd really like a tablet implementation of Tuner Studio; with the right feature set, I'd hard mount a tablet and use it as a digital dash, tuner, maybe music player while I'm at it. Probably not something OP wants to do to the dash of a classic though.
Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
It still does, but it's only the $60 (IIRC) license fee for Tuner Studio to unlock it. Assuming, obviously, that you already have O2 sensor(s) set up appropriately.

You can alternately run it in closed-loop no-laptop and tell it to self-adjust off the O2, but it doesn't appear to "learn" in a permanent way from that, the VE table is unchanged, it just adjusts from that. So it'll "learn" but once it's powered down, it'll go back to baseline.

I haven't looked in a while, but I'd really like a tablet implementation of Tuner Studio; with the right feature set, I'd hard mount a tablet and use it as a digital dash, tuner, maybe music player while I'm at it. Probably not something OP wants to do to the dash of a classic though.
like this?
Introducing Shadow Dash MS | tunerstudio.com
Old 12-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 24471
Send a message via MSN to thomjpster
I'm interested in finding out which way you go Frozen ZJ

Kinda thinking about it for Dad's '65 Chevelle.
We put a small block 396 in it a few years ago, dynoed @ 490hp

Interesting info wolfe man thanks. I think I've got a torker intake hiding somewhere

thomjpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2018, 08:55 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Quote:
Almost. The Android flavor doesn't seem to have the self-learn that the laptop Tuner Studio license allows. So it's really close, but just not quite. It's good enough to be "when I get a chance a tablet mount is getting built".
Old 12-13-2018, 09:31 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 5829
Just saw this today = Summit 'MAX-efi 500'?
Would welcome comments from the learned

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...SACEgKDsfD_BwE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in