KOH '19 for Dummies: Canadian Edition - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 AM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
So it's not okay to burn cut up pallets in the wood stove, yet it's okay to burn the whole truck to the ground?
Possession of wood, any wood containing metal fasteners is a ticket offense in the OHV. During KOH, there is an abundance of BLM Rangers looking for just such offenses. They also fully subscribe to the theory that ignorance of the rule is not a defense.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:08 AM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
All these guys are making to big of a deal out of it. The coldest years I've been was 5ish years ago and I tent camped. It wasnt that bad. Find someone here to camp with, bring beer and have a good time. Do it different next year if you see the need
We tent camped near the lake bed from 2000 to 2007 when we bought our truck camper and still camp there in it. The coldest morning we've seen is 14 degrees F. We've seen several from 17-25 degrees over the years. In the years that we tent camped, we wore out 3 truck tents and we had the wind blow 2 of them up in the same year.

Other years, we've had folks toss a sleeping bag on the ground and be just fine. All I know is if we could tell what the weather is going to be on any given day is we wouldn't have to work for a living.

There again, our apricot trees still have all their leaves and it is almost Christmas, so what the hell do I know?
Old 12-18-2018, 07:56 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 836234
I'd suggest buying a bunch of those multi-hour hand warmers. The nights get cold. Very cold. Uhaul is a fantastic idea, but it will still get cold in there. Buy a lock for the uhaul too, so no one jacks your stuff when you're out and about. Know where to go, and when, during the event.

I suggest one of those faceshield things for the dust, it gets pretty bad sometimes. Big brimmed hat for the day to get some relief from the sun, and an easy-up to hang out under. There is no natural shade out there, and the sun might not be too hot, but it will be intense and fatiguing.

The BLM have heavy duty 2500s and side by sides, and they are out in force. Rightfully so, a lot of crazies.
bonanzah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 10:15 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Possession of wood, any wood containing metal fasteners is a ticket offense in the OHV. During KOH, there is an abundance of BLM Rangers looking for just such offenses. They also fully subscribe to the theory that ignorance of the rule is not a defense.
So do they ticket everyone with a wooden flat deck?

I know what the point of the law is. If you burn it in a wood stove it won't result in nails on the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 10:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
definietly recomend getting there tuesday or wednesday morning if you're trekking all the way down from maplesyrupville. Everyone takes off saturday so you're really only going to see 1 day of action, and the best action is wed and thurs nights!
samy crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #31 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog57 View Post
The point heís trying to make is the nails left behind. Itís a big problem when people burn pallets then walk away. Pretty sure thereís a thread on here about the shit inconsiderate ass holes leave behind on the lakebed.
Did you miss the part about the wood stove?

I don't think the nails will be making it to the lake bed.

Quote:
So keep your wood in the uhaul and don't let them in without a warrant.
arse_sidewards is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 10:52 AM   #32 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
[QUOTE=DirtyComanche;44225762]
Quote:

So do they ticket everyone with a wooden flat deck?

I know what the point of the law is. If you burn it in a wood stove it won't result in nails on the ground.
This is what I picked up in about 10 min this year at koh in just the area I was camped in. Keep the shit wood at home.
Attached Images

Old 12-18-2018, 11:04 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 166763
The Christmas lights on the outside of the camp (mounted high) is a good idea because it'll help you remember where your camp is at night. Bring a good flash light.

It's been mentioned but a face shield or mask will help with dust. If you don't bring one, just go to the Nitto tent next to the main stage as they hand out big handkerchiefs throughout the race.

Besides the race, hanging out at chocolate Thunder and Backdoor at night is pretty much a party all night. Bring some beer or whatever and watch the carnage and jackassary. They're both easy to find at night as you'll see both lit up with rigs.

There is a wood vendor there but they're kind of expensive from what I remember.

If you leave Saturday, leave early, like 4-5 am early otherwise you'll be stuck for hours trying to leave with 40k-50k other people.
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 11:07 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar7 View Post
This is what I picked up in about 10 min this year at koh in just the area I was camped in. Keep the shit wood at home.
Terrible how all those nails jumped out of a wood stove and onto the ground like that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #35 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Terrible how all those nails jumped out of a wood stove and onto the ground like that.
The point is it doesn't fucking matter. The law/rule/reg doesn't allow pallets out there. You bring them, you'll probably get a ticket. Whether you agree with it or not is totally irrelevant.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
The point is it doesn't fucking matter. The law/rule/reg doesn't allow pallets out there. You bring them, you'll probably get a ticket. Whether you agree with it or not is totally irrelevant.
So, no pallets, got it. But burning the truck to the ground is fine? I just want to make sure I understand the rules.

Old 12-18-2018, 01:21 PM   #37 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
Yeah cause no one has ever said hey can I borrow a couple chunks of wood or no lets not start a camp fire cause that wood is u-haul/stove wood only.

Just like glass bottles, everyone always claims they will stay in the car or cooler but somehow they end up all over the ground.

Quote:
So, no pallets, got it. But burning the truck to the ground is fine? I just want to make sure I understand the rules.

Dense much? So having a wood stove in a vehicle is somehow safer than any other option and could not in any possible way burn a vehicle to the ground?

Or are you saying that pallets are so superior that any other form of wood would instantly cause the vehicle to burn to the ground.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Jesus you clowns sure are feeding DC's fire here. Pun intended
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 01:50 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Yeah cause no one has ever said hey can I borrow a couple chunks of wood or no lets not start a camp fire cause that wood is u-haul/stove wood only.

Just like glass bottles, everyone always claims they will stay in the car or cooler but somehow they end up all over the ground.

Dense much? So having a wood stove in a vehicle is somehow safer than any other option and could not in any possible way burn a vehicle to the ground?

Or are you saying that pallets are so superior that any other form of wood would instantly cause the vehicle to burn to the ground.
If you reread, or perhaps actually read, the post that spawned such a display of ignorant replies, I specifically stated that burning the truck down would be part of the planned outing. However, nobody seemed to think that is an issue, instead they focused on the, in my opinion minor, detail of using some pallets to start the fire in the wood stove.

Now, I do have to ask of everyone that replied to me regarding the legal and moral issues of burning pallet wood (contained in a wood stove), if they really don't see any legal or moral issues of burning an entire rental truck down?

And I also have to ask, if they might think, just possibly, that if such a specifically and deliberately ill-conceived plan was laid out, that perhaps it might be telling of some level of sarcasm being involved? I'm just asking, because I really want to put my finger on the morals and reasoning skills of the people who replied, would you rent a truck and cut a hole in it to install a wood stove? Would you do that in clear conscious? Not an issue at all?

Old 12-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #40 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
Quote:
Would you do that in clear conscious? Not an issue at all?
Well, there's an issue, but it's different than the one you're bringing up.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #41 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
If you reread, or perhaps actually read, the post that spawned such a display of ignorant replies, I specifically stated that burning the truck down would be part of the planned outing. However, nobody seemed to think that is an issue, instead they focused on the, in my opinion minor, detail of using some pallets to start the fire in the wood stove.

Now, I do have to ask of everyone that replied to me regarding the legal and moral issues of burning pallet wood (contained in a wood stove), if they really don't see any legal or moral issues of burning an entire rental truck down?

And I also have to ask, if they might think, just possibly, that if such a specifically and deliberately ill-conceived plan was laid out, that perhaps it might be telling of some level of sarcasm being involved? I'm just asking, because I really want to put my finger on the morals and reasoning skills of the people who replied, would you rent a truck and cut a hole in it to install a wood stove? Would you do that in clear conscious? Not an issue at all?
YEAH! WELl WEll well...... touche. You spend to much time on this crap. The pallets are just a touchy issues and most don't joke about it period cause it's such an issue.

Who knows what kind of idiot would take you seriously?

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
Who knows what kind of idiot would take you seriously?
Apparently half the people that replied.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
Well, there's an issue, but it's different than the one you're bringing up.
Oops.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Dirty... you coming with me to burn a rental truck? Jesus.
So it sounds like leaving Saturday is a horrible idea if there are truly 40k people there. I didn't think KOH was THAT big. Like stadium big.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 89546
Just rent an RV from road bear RV in Vegas. It’s stupid cheap,,,especially split 4 ways. ( I assume that’s where you’re flying into )

Last two times I’ve gone we did this.

Fawk staying in a tent. Pony up another couple hundred each and get an RV for 2-3 days.

Last edited by RYAN283; 12-20-2018 at 06:38 PM.
RYAN283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYAN283 View Post
Just rent an RV from great bear RV in Vegas. Itís stupid cheap,,,especially split 4 ways. ( I assume thatís where youíre flying into )

Last two times Iíve gone we did this.

Fawk staying in a tent. Pony up another couple hundred each and get an RV for 2-3 days.
This was my initial thought. We are flying into Vegas and spending a day there.

Edit: Do you mean Road Bear? Those seem to be priced aggressively.

Last edited by [Memphis]; 12-18-2018 at 03:20 PM.
[Memphis] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 03:37 PM   #47 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 101927
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
So it sounds like leaving Saturday is a horrible idea if there are truly 40k people there. I didn't think KOH was THAT big. Like stadium big.
ya leaving saturday between 7-11am will likely take you about 1.5-2 hours to get from hammertown out to the highway. On Sunday morning, 20-30 minutes.
samy crawler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #48 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
I have tent camped (twice), shared a toy hauler, and slept in the back of my pickup. The tent camping was the worst and both times the weather was good. sleeping in the back of the truck with a Leer Shell was fine, and I was happy to not have flapping nylon to listen to all night.

Tin Benders Jambo 04.
Attached Images

Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 731241
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
easily 40k people

Old 12-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #50 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
I think I would rather camp in a Uhaul with no heat vs. a tent. Seats? Throw a couch in the back. Hell, whatever used up furniture you want back there. We slept in a cabin that we had just removed drywall from for my bachelor party, complete with massive holes in the floor where plywood was being replaced, and a window unit sitting on a shelf on the porch with beer boxes and tape sealing it to the window frame. Uhaul sounds kinda nice actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
I have tent camped (twice), shared a toy hauler, and slept in the back of my pickup. The tent camping was the worst and both times the weather was good. sleeping in the back of the truck with a Leer Shell was fine, and I was happy to not have flapping nylon to listen to all night.

Tin Benders Jambo 04.
I have seriously been contemplating getting a cheap camper shell lately. I have a nice tent, and I have no shame running 100 feet of extension cord to it and using a space heater or heat blanket when I can, but the beach or anywhere windy is pretty damn awful in even the best of tents.

I missed out on a nice fiberglass one a couple years ago that had a regular door (take off tailgate to fit) and the entire back could lift up too for easy loading.

I live on a corner lot and need to cut and make a gate in the side fence so I can bring one back there and store it easily.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in