KOH '19 for Dummies: Canadian Edition - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2018, 04:23 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 89546
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
This was my initial thought. We are flying into Vegas and spending a day there.

Edit: Do you mean Road Bear? Those seem to be priced aggressively.
Yes correct. Whatís cool is you can then camp (in the rv the day before you leave or come back,,,right down the road at a place called Arizona Charlieís. Itís also close to a wal mart

Fly in, Uber to road bear, drive RV to wal mart,,,,then scoot to the lakebed or spend the night in Vegas at the campground.

Split 4 ways is extremely affordable.
And Rv comes with all cookwear and whatnot.

Weíd usually get up and run gene for an hour while making coffee and charging devices. Then walk to Hammertown for morning burrito and a shit.
Then go play in the sand.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:41 PM   #52 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Dirty... you coming with me to burn a rental truck? Jesus.
So it sounds like leaving Saturday is a horrible idea if there are truly 40k people there. I didn't think KOH was THAT big. Like stadium big.

You want to be there for wed or Thursday night. Saturday and Sunday are lame unless you are trying to wheel.

Yes it is THAT big. I'm pretty sure the numbers are intentionally undersetamated for insurance reasons.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #53 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
So do they ticket everyone with a wooden flat deck?

I know what the point of the law is. If you burn it in a wood stove it won't result in nails on the ground.
Not my rule nor my enforcement of it. Plead your case with the judge.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:55 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 21766
Quote:
.....there are truly 40k people there. I didn't think KOH was THAT big. Like stadium big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawlintoy View Post
easily 40k people
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Yes it is THAT big. I'm pretty sure the numbers are intentionally undersetamated for insurance reasons.
A few years ago when I was down there on vacation I met up with some locals and wheeled JV with them. It was about a month after KOH and aside from our small group there were maybe a dozen other vehicles in and around the lakebed that day. It's literally a big empty desert 51 weeks out of the year.
RgdL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #55 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 123554
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
I have seriously been contemplating getting a cheap camper shell lately. I have a nice tent, and I have no shame running 100 feet of extension cord to it and using a space heater or heat blanket when I can, but the beach or anywhere windy is pretty damn awful in even the best of tents.

I missed out on a nice fiberglass one a couple years ago that had a regular door (take off tailgate to fit) and the entire back could lift up too for easy loading.

I live on a corner lot and need to cut and make a gate in the side fence so I can bring one back there and store it easily.

Was considering doing the same thing. Then I found out travel trailers can be rented for around $100-120/day. Did this twice on hunting trips this year. Have the amenities of a camper without having the upfront cost, upkeep, storing it for the majority of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aggie06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 07:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis
;44226350]Dirty... you coming with me to burn a rental truck? Jesus.
So it sounds like leaving Saturday is a horrible idea if there are truly 40k people there. I didn't think KOH was THAT big. Like stadium big.
Watch some YouTube videoed. It is MUCH BIGGER than a stadium deal with only 1 main entrance/exit. If you are in the jeep you can bypass Boone rd but not in an rv. Last year the highway patrol was out directing traffic which seemed to help but it still is slow going. Even if you bypass with a 4x4 you still have to take THE ONLY highway out if there. Be patient and plan ahead for the travel time.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
popeye

Member # 20027
Quote:
So it's not okay to burn cut up pallets in the wood stove, yet it's okay to burn the whole truck to the ground?
you checked the box for the extra insurance right?
Old 12-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #58 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 73302
If you plan on staying in a uhaul, stop by Home Depot and get a sheet of thick styrofoam insulation to sleep on. It was miserable in 2014 with a mid weight sleeping bag in an enclosed trailer.
pvkj454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 05:18 AM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Quote:
Terrible how all those nails jumped out of a wood stove and onto the ground like that.
Damn manche, the sarcasm went right over my thick scull. I didnít read into the stove cut into the uhaul comment. Pretty sure the others didnít either. It is just a real touchy thing because a few always screw it up for the majority.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:43 AM   #60 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog57 View Post
The point heís trying to make is the nails left behind. Itís a big problem when people burn pallets then walk away. Pretty sure thereís a thread on here about the shit inconsiderate ass holes leave behind on the lakebed.
The locals have totally trashed JV with nails. We from NY picked up hundreds while there. They are every few feet around hammertown. Only way that many is possible is years of locals burning pallets. Based on how many there are.... It has to be standard practice out there.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:51 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Well, looks like I finally get to go to KOH for my bachelor. I have reviewed the old thread from 2013. Flying in from Canaduh so we will be light on gear.

We will be doing this poor man style; 4 amigos.
Tents
No cooking (do vendors offer breakfast?) You can eat 3 meals a day plus snacks all from vendors

Likely flying with a tent but I'm not opposed to buying a cheapie and hoping it survives two days. We are planning to show up February 7-8 (Thursday/Friday). Cheepo would be a huge gamble. I'm out this year or I'd let ya crash in my heated/cooled trailer

I've needed to buy a GOOD sleeping bag for ages and I'm not opposed to pulling the trigger now for something that can compress. So if you have recommendations I'm all ears.

ATV goggles recommended? We bring googles with 2 lenses, clear and tinted. sunglasses under goggles does work well

The rest seems pretty basic for drunk camping unless I'm missing something?you arn't really missing anything. Best bet clothes would be long johns, jeans, boots, T, L-sleeve, heavy hoodie Then you can layer up for 20 degrees or be OK in 70 degrees. The weather swings are nuts.... shorts and sun burn at 3PM, shivering bone chilling cold at 6PM
There are more and more resources there every single year. If I were you I would ask a PBBer to bring you a stick pile of beer, then just hide you tent next to their Camper.

If you leave Sat AM, you can wait in traffic for 6-8 hours. I leave Friday night and only wait 3ish. OR head out at 4-5am Sat.

Buy a camping chair in Cali and throw it out when you leave. Basic drunk camping is right.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:53 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
The locals have totally trashed JV with nails. We from NY picked up hundreds while there. They are every few feet around hammertown. Only way that many is possible is years of locals burning pallets. Based on how many there are.... It has to be standard practice out there.
When I left JV after KOH back in 09 in the rental I was changing a flat somewhere along "the 15" as the locals call it.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 06:46 AM   #63 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by RgdL View Post
It's literally a big empty desert 51 weeks out of the year.
Almost. Halloween, Thanksgiving, and New Years are pretty well attended out there. So about 48 weeks out of the year it is empty for the most part.

One big change we have noticed over the years is how the SXS have changed traffic on the trails. On any Thanksgiving up until about 3-4 years ago, we always ran into another group or 2 on any trail we ran. Then it changed and we were able to run them and never see another group. More folks on the lakebed, less folks on the trails.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 166763
Quote:
There are more and more resources there every single year. If I were you I would ask a PBBer to bring you a stick pile of beer, then just hide you tent next to their Camper.

If you leave Sat AM, you can wait in traffic for 6-8 hours. I leave Friday night and only wait 3ish. OR head out at 4-5am Sat.

Buy a camping chair in Cali and throw it out when you leave. Basic drunk camping is right.
^Pretty accurate
Left Friday night after the race, and it took me about an hour from Hammer Town to the highway. Had some friends that stayed and partied last year and tried to leave Saturday in the am but were stuck there all day due to a sand storm and visibility was zero.
That being said, it is pretty cool to be at the stage when the cars are coming in from Fridays race. They park next to the stage and you can check them out up close.
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSnow View Post
^Pretty accurate
Left Friday night after the race, and it took me about an hour from Hammer Town to the highway. Had some friends that stayed and partied last year and tried to leave Saturday in the am but were stuck there all day due to a sand storm and visibility was zero.
That being said, it is pretty cool to be at the stage when the cars are coming in from Fridays race. They park next to the stage and you can check them out up close.
Or you can walking into any garage and check them out close. Most teams will let you near and around any car or garage.

Last edited by Pokeman; 12-19-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Pokeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 11:37 AM   #66 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
Quote:
Or you can walking into any garage and check them out close. Most teams will let you near and around any car or garage.
not all garages are open or the last time I was there they were not all open.

We usually leave Friday afternoon before the race finishes or immediately after, no problem getting out.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 166763
Quote:
Forgot about that! Walking around the pits and seeing the teams working on their rigs is very cool.
A couple of years ago, the team that ran Big Ugly, had the rig on display after a huge wreck for people to check out and that whole crew was pretty cool to talk too as well.

link to crash
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #68 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Quote:
Checking out the cars beat to fuck after crossing the stage is pretty damn badasser (imo).

Going to miss being there this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.

Last edited by sceep; 12-19-2018 at 01:40 PM.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2018, 03:11 PM   #69 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Forgot about that! Walking around the pits and seeing the teams working on their rigs is very cool.
A couple of years ago, the team that ran Big Ugly, had the rig on display after a huge wreck for people to check out and that whole crew was pretty cool to talk too as well.

link to crash
Yeah, it had a for sale sign on it and in sharpie, "You break it, you buy it."
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #70 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
Quote:
^Pretty accurate
I went to leave on Saturday and my mh would not start, no crank issue, the sand storm was so bad I could not crawl underneath to find the problem even with goggles. Sunday was beautiful day and I was able to fix in 10 mins, the battery cable seperated from the eye crimped on the end. Told someone about it later and they said "well I would have just dealt with it storm or not". Guy has no idea how bad it was. It felt like being inside a sand blaster. I've been going for years and that was the worst I have ever seen.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Do it. We had a team talk about stopping work and making sure we talked to anyone who wandered in our garage. Answer any questions etc. A few times we were too busy to stop working but we tried to let people monkey around the car or get in and take pics. Best part is kids who wanted to get in and play with the siren or pretend to steer. Parents would freak out a bit worried they would hurt something and all I could so was laugh.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #72 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar7 View Post
I went to leave on Saturday and my mh would not start, no crank issue, the sand storm was so bad I could not crawl underneath to find the problem even with goggles. Sunday was beautiful day and I was able to fix in 10 mins, the battery cable seperated from the eye crimped on the end. Told someone about it later and they said "well I would have just dealt with it storm or not". Guy has no idea how bad it was. It felt like being inside a sand blaster. I've been going for years and that was the worst I have ever seen.
That is similar to what blew up two of our tents several years ago. It is hard to get folks to understand that you can't see, being sandblasted sucks, and you can't open the door on the truck if you are sideways to the wind. If you open it facing away from the wind, you won't close it again because the wind will open it all the way against the front fender after it rips it out of your hands.
Old 12-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #73 (permalink)
Wet Trail Wheeler

Member # 175109
I agree with most of this, would add bring raingear. It does rain in the desert occasionally and when the wind is blowing 70-80 KPH at a frigid temp, the rain gear (including pants) will provide a great wind blocking extra layer. I've worn mine the last two years at the Shootout which has been frigid with the wind coming down backdoor. It was better last year at the new location but only Dave Cole knows where it will be held.
Drakeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2018, 05:37 PM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 731241
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvkj454 View Post
If you plan on staying in a uhaul, stop by Home Depot and get a sheet of thick styrofoam insulation to sleep on. It was miserable in 2014 with a mid weight sleeping bag in an enclosed trailer.
2014 wasnít that cold sleeping in a tent. Maybe it was because i come from a colder area.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:31 PM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 14794
Send a message via AIM to korda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawlintoy View Post
2014 wasnít that cold sleeping in a tent. Maybe it was because i come from a colder area.
Me too. The wind is the bigger issue. Put your pillow inside your sleeping bag and shut it completely. Tents do an awesome job filtering out everything but the finest sand that will cover everything you own. Youíll be dealing with it for weeks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in