KOH '19 for Dummies: Canadian Edition - Page 4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #76 (permalink)

Member # 109702
I will NEVER sleep in a tent at Johnson valley again!
Old 12-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #77 (permalink)

Member # 731241
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-O View Post
I will NEVER sleep in a tent at Johnson valley again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by korda View Post
Me too. The wind is the bigger issue. Put your pillow inside your sleeping bag and shut it completely. Tents do an awesome job filtering out everything but the finest sand that will cover everything you own. You’ll be dealing with it for weeks.
I have tent camped once and it was enough.
I shook my sleeping bag out every night went I went to bed. My tent still has lake bed dust in it from 2014
Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 AM   #78 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawlintoy View Post
I have tent camped once and it was enough.
I shook my sleeping bag out every night went I went to bed. My tent still has lake bed dust in it from 2014
About the only accurate thing we can say about JV in Feb is there is nothing predictable. If we say don't worry, just bring a light jacket, sweatshirt and your kid's back yard sleep over tent, there will be a blizzard.

If we tell 'em to bring a parka and snow boots, it will dead calm, lows in the 40's, highs in the low 80's, and about like a mild spring in most areas.

Go Warn, be prepared!!
Old 12-21-2018, 08:35 AM   #79 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Giving a Canadian advice about weather seems strange...
It gets cold into the 20's, but I assume that is like a summer temperature for you guys.
It kinda snowed one year, so leave your dog sleds at home, it was gone before it hit the ground.
Search up craigslist, it's like Kijiji but with more flakes, I'd buy all your camping chairs, tents, sleeping bags from it.
Almost everything you need is there, if not Apple Valley is not a far drive into a real town.

Last edited by welndmn; 12-21-2018 at 08:36 AM.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2018, 09:25 AM   #80 (permalink)

Member # 166763
Best description of sleeping in a tent during KOH I ever heard was:
Grab a trash bag, fill it with dust and sand, put your head in the bag and shake it.
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #81 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Okay looks like we are officially going!
An after thought... we are discussing renting a 4 seat UTV
Local recommendations? Do these places rent trailer and UTV? Or will I likely still need to Uhaul it?
Old 01-07-2019, 10:05 PM   #82 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 11484
I’m pretty sure I’ll be making it this year, plenty of room on my trailer if you need excess stuff hauled down
MR4WD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #83 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 46240
Still not sure if I'm going this year or not. It will mark my 10 year since the first KOH I went to. 2009 was the only year as a spectator but it was totally different then compared to now. No separation from spectator and racers at the time. I have always stayed in an RV so I can't personally give experience on a tent. All I can say is that the people that did, mostly regretted it and looked miserable every morning with a tent full of sand. The wind tends to kick up at night, and it blows HARD. Strong enough to rock our large RV's like a boat.

For 2 days what I would pack"
1. Carhartt pants and Jacket
2. Good quality boots/shoes
3. Shorts
4.T-shirts
5. Hoodie or lighter weight jacket
6. Flip flops
7. Goggles
8. Sun Glasses

We usually hang out until about 1 or 2 on Saturday and then head out. Traffic is cleared out for the most part by then. It's amazing to see how fast the town disperses. Trust me it IS that BIG.

Don't drink and drive any type of vehicle. Had a friend get pulled over in a Golf Cart for open container. Also another racer buddy that got a DUI driving in his race car back to his cabin he rented. He only had 2-3 beers max. You will also need helmets if renting a UTV. BLM and Rangers are out there to make money.

Walk through and check out garages, most of the time teams are cool, but know when it's time to not be there. Had plenty of people we had to ask to get out. One for the amount of work we had and little time, and also for privacy for meetings.

Don't always count on being able to get all supplies in Lucern. They are much better now at preparing for the amount of traffic that comes through. In 2009 we could barely get a 12 oz coke from the gas station. The coolers were literally empty and the cashiers looked like they hadn't slept in days. Yucca Valley is larger, but they too get shocked at the amount of spectators. Again the race is huge. Driving in at night you would swear you are driving into a decent sized city.

Last edited by RaginCaucasian; 01-08-2019 at 11:19 AM.
RaginCaucasian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #84 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Bump, changing plans....
What are the best places/courses to see Thursday night?
We are thinking about grabbing a motel and commuting in during the morning.
Thursday and Friday and head back Friday night and have a two day bender in Vegas.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #85 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
^^ that sounds miserable, the race starts early as shit on Friday.

Get there thursday, watch whatever is going on, hang out at the fire, get drunk, sleep in the car, watch Friday and leave that evening if that's all you're planning on being there. You can almost always find some empty seats to hop in with a group heading out for a night run. Wasting hours and hotel money commuting back and forth to only be there for 1 night seems silly. If it were me (and it has been, many times) I'd even just do two nights in the car.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flying Pig Racing #512

Last edited by vetteboy79; 01-13-2019 at 07:51 PM.
vetteboy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2019, 08:12 PM   #86 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 21766
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
^^ that sounds miserable, the race starts early as shit on Friday.

Get there thursday, watch whatever is going on, hang out at the fire, get drunk, sleep in the car, watch Friday and leave that evening if that's all you're planning on being there. You can almost always find some empty seats to hop in with a group heading out for a night run. Wasting hours and hotel money commuting back and forth to only be there for 1 night seems silly. If it were me (and it has been, many times) I'd even just do two nights in the car.
Renting a full size van or a U-Haul truck might make sense if this is what you do. How many in your group again? All you need is a quick stop at Walmart for some inflatable mattresses and cheap sleeping bags and pillows.
RgdL is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #87 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Quote:
Originally Posted by RgdL View Post
Renting a full size van or a U-Haul truck might make sense if this is what you do. How many in your group again? All you need is a quick stop at Walmart for some inflatable mattresses and cheap sleeping bags and pillows.
Four amigos but two of them stroke car camping off the list. RV sucks from a mobility stand point but wins for camping on the lake bed.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #88 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
You're gonna be more comfortable in the car than anywhere else on the lakebed, and with as little as you're gonna see/experience with that schedule you might as well watch the live feed from home, you'll see more.

I'd tell them to fuck right off and find a place to crash on the lakebed for one or two nights (I've done that before also), you don't need that kind of negativity in your life. It's minimum an hour each way to the hotel, likely more depending on dirt road traffic...lineup starts at 6 AM on Friday. You're gonna get there Thursday, whoever is against sleeping in the car is going to immediately start bitching about how they're tired or need a shower, and you'll be bitter from that point forward. Especially when someone asks if you wanna take a ride out to watch Chocolate Thunder at 8 PM (hint: you won't get back from that for several hours) and you have to say no because your buddy can't live without a shower and a hotel bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Flying Pig Racing #512
Old 01-14-2019, 05:30 AM   #89 (permalink)

Member # 3007
I think I said this earlier in the thread. Go to Vegas and stay there and watch the live feed if you can find a place that will stream it where you can still be social and have beers.

Your plan sounds utterly miserable. As big as KOH is now, you need to bring a lot of shit with you and getting anywhere to see any action will be next to impossible with a rental car.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 06:10 AM   #90 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Thursday night at 2am you will want to be drunk watching the shenanigans at back door and be woken up by the start of 4400 at 6am Friday morning. This cant happen if your at a hotel.. either stay up all night or sleep on the lakebed Thursday night

Last edited by 2big bronco; 01-14-2019 at 06:11 AM.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2019, 07:31 AM   #91 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Thursday night at 2am you will want to be drunk watching the shenanigans at back door and be woken up by the start of 4400 at 6am Friday morning. This cant happen if your at a hotel.. either stay up all night or sleep on the lakebed Thursday night
This close to the event are there even any rooms available within an hour of the lakebed? It has been awhile since we have had folks do the motel thing but I seem to recall warning about everything including the lower end flea bags being booked solid.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 AM   #92 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Did anyone mention that your best bet is to just sleep in the car?

you will NOT want to try and get to the lakebed friday morning. (unless you are talking like 3-4am) by 7 you'll be stuck in traffic for HOURS. My buddy who drives out from the coast every year to meet us on friday usually spends 2.5 hours on the dirt road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #93 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
BTT for the Canuks thinking of tenting it.

was a little breezy in Hammertown last night.

https://www.facebook.com/camo.t.link...type=3&theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 07:51 AM   #94 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Just to restate, in case you missed it: your plan sucks.

You're going to come back and tell us that we're wrong, that you went and did it like you said you were going to, and that it was epic...but anyone who's done it properly will know you're full of shit.

I do not understand people who can't sacrifice a real bed or shower for a few days in order to experience something that you'll never find anywhere else.

Flying Pig Racing #512
Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #95 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
Four amigos but two of them stroke car camping off the list. RV sucks from a mobility stand point but wins for camping on the lake bed.
I went every year from 2008-2014, and every year we went for a longer period of time. KOH is not just about the big race. You're really selling yourself short here. You need to rent a U-haul to sleep in, and rent a 4wd Grand Cherokee or 4Runner or Rubicon, (you might be able to get away with a 2WD, but there is some serious sand out there and you don't know where you're going).

Don't half-ass it.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #96 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
Just to restate, in case you missed it: your plan sucks.

You're going to come back and tell us that we're wrong, that you went and did it like you said you were going to, and that it was epic...but anyone who's done it properly will know you're full of shit.

I do not understand people who can't sacrifice a real bed or shower for a few days in order to experience something that you'll never find anywhere else.
This! My one time there in 09 I didn't shower all week. Just baby wipes and deodorant. I think I went into town one afternoon for parts and a good meal. Slept in an enclosed and it gets COLD, but warmed up most days pretty quickly.

Wish I could go 10 years later to see the changes, but doubt I would enjoy it as much with the massive crowds now
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #97 (permalink)

Member # 136533
Rent an rv from rv share in Vegas. We got one that sleeps 6 and it will be about $550 for 4 nights including the extra mileage from Vegas. Split that between 4 guys and it will be cheaper than a hotel.

If you want something to get around at KOH in rent a full size truck. Or just find people to jump in with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seubs70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #98 (permalink)

Member # 843001
Not sure if anyone has already mentioned it, but bring chapstick! I find myself using a boat load of it.
Grronk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #99 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Thanks for the advice assholes! Our flight is delayed by 30 mins so I'll be flying west at 9pm EST.

Then we go on the Walmart hunt to load up in Vegas and head down for Thursday AM. UTVs rented for Thursday to get around easier and have a blast on the lake bed to get to different portions of the race for 5hrs.

See you on the lakebed.
Ski gear is packed for the snow!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #100 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Memphis] View Post
Thanks for the advice assholes! Our flight is delayed by 30 mins so I'll be flying west at 9pm EST.

Then we go on the Walmart hunt to load up in Vegas and head down for Thursday AM. UTVs rented for Thursday to get around easier and have a blast on the lake bed to get to different portions of the race for 5hrs.

See you on the lakebed.
Ski gear is packed for the snow!
Hope you have helmets as well. BLM Power Rangers will ticket you if not.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in