KOH '19 for Dummies: Canadian Edition - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2018, 04:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 49281
KOH '19 for Dummies: Canadian Edition

Well, looks like I finally get to go to KOH for my bachelor. I have reviewed the old thread from 2013. Flying in from Canaduh so we will be light on gear.

We will be doing this poor man style; 4 amigos.
Tents
No cooking (do vendors offer breakfast?)

Likely flying with a tent but I'm not opposed to buying a cheapie and hoping it survives two days. We are planning to show up February 7-8 (Thursday/Friday).

I've needed to buy a GOOD sleeping bag for ages and I'm not opposed to pulling the trigger now for something that can compress. So if you have recommendations I'm all ears.

ATV goggles recommended?

The rest seems pretty basic for drunk camping unless I'm missing something?
Old 12-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
You can get all the food you want including breakfast burritos in Hammertown.

It will be dusty as fawk, so some good goggles should be on your list.

How are you getting around? Rented Jeep?

Bring earplugs, so the all night brrrraaaapppp doesn't keep you up.

We didn't stop to say hi cause he's a fucking douchebag.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Shop up, walk around, drink, party, have a blast, bring good clothes for any weather, profit. Not much more to think about.
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 04:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 166763
Goggles are a yes.

Rent a u-haul truck to get around.

The weather can vary, one year, it was 25 degrees at night, rainy/windy during the day. The past two years, the weather was down right nice.

Food: there are vendors there.

Drunk camping: Yes
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 731241
Tent camping there sucks. Protect the tent so no one runs you over. If you can find someone on here that will let you set the tent up on their trailer you will be better. Did I mention tent camping sucks out there.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 49281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Doc View Post
You can get all the food you want including breakfast burritos in Hammertown.

It will be dusty as fawk, so some good goggles should be on your list.

How are you getting around? Rented Jeep?

Bring earplugs, so the all night brrrraaaapppp doesn't keep you up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSnow View Post
Goggles are a yes.

Rent a u-haul truck to get around.

The weather can vary, one year, it was 25 degrees at night, rainy/windy during the day. The past two years, the weather was down right nice.

Food: there are vendors there.

Drunk camping: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawlintoy View Post
Tent camping there sucks. Protect the tent so no one runs you over. If you can find someone on here that will let you set the tent up on their trailer you will be better. Did I mention tent camping sucks out there.
Bro in law rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee but that won't be good for sleeping. We can change it up, I was thinking maybe a Caravan? I saw some people rented Uhaul vans but I thought those were only two seaters?
Old 12-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawlintoy View Post
Also, if you can't find a trailer to put your tent on I'd suggest NOT pitching the tent on the lakebed. Pitch it off the lakebed in the areas where there's brush.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 5639
last time one of the guy in our group brought an ice fishing tent and set u his regular tent inside. Otherwise typical what happens is the wind and sand bury the tent and probably to door.

If you have a U-haul it wouldn't be horrible idea to setup cots or similar in the back of it and sleep in that.

Kindness doesn't condemn or condone

Just Add Lightness
Weasel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 4375
Pray for a light breeze to move the hanging dust haze somewhere else.
Pack layers of clothing. As said, it can be brutal cold made worse by wind, drizzle to a downpour, all the way up to just a t-shirt and shorts on back to back days.
Something for rain, something for wind, something for very cold. Sometimes something for all 3 at the same time.
Warm socks, comfy walking shoes/boots with grippy soles.
If you tent on the trailer, get something to insulate between you and the trailer. If you tent, tie it off, stake it down, put big rocks in the corners or something to anchor it down. The wind has rearranged fabric sleeping quarters a number of times to places other than where you fell asleep.
Stay off the lakebed in the open while sleeping. Get up against one of the low hills right as you drop down onto the lakebed if you can't get next to some vehicles for protection.
As said, there is lots of vendor food to live on. Brings lots of money.

Enjoy! Everyone should attend at least once. It is a spectacle to behold.

One of these years, we will get to see them start the race in this.
Taken after it melted off a bit.
http://www.justaddrocks.com/Johnson_...4/DSCN8234.jpg
Old 12-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 853678
Do not go with tents, one year its cold, next year is windy, next year was days of rain.

You cant plan it. could be great, could be hell. Comfy sleeping or refuge is important.

U-haul or u-haul trailer behind the jeep
totes for food, clothes and crap
zip tie bags to u-haul side rails or to get crap off the floor
cots or pad and bags
chairs
mr buddy propane heater and 1 to 2 small tanks per day

For food, several options. there is great vendor that does the dunes and sets up shop at koh, they are good, open late and the food was great. Figure 10-13.00 per meal average.

the jeep cherokee will be all you need to get around, grab a gas can or two for it.

-Shawn
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
Rent the Uhaul as well as the jeep...The Uhaul will be your camp/tent/lodging.

Get one big enough to sleep all 4 of you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 09:48 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 53528
find some side jobs at home from now until feb and make some extra cash to spend on renting a motor home
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 235556
I haven't tent camped Johnson valley, but I have further north in the jawbone/wagon wheel area for new year's. Buddies said I was crazy. I was actually completely comfortable. GOOD gear is essential. Two years ago was in the twenties and 50 mile an hour winds with downpours at night. I slept, (passed out drunk?) Perfectly comfortable. Helped that I could crash one of my buddies trailers for partying and just had to sleep in the tent. Cooked all meals outside. Park the jeep down wind for a windbreak. Plenty of whiskey and it's all good. I'd be inclined to say a couple smaller tents so they are lower profile.

Would do again in a second if I didn't have a kid and my girl now. Don't want to make them deal with it, but worked for me. Definitely find a corner you can set up protected by vehicles. One of the guys in my group started cutting donuts in his side by side right behind me. Thought I was going to die on that one. He got a talking to after that

Johnson valley may be different, idk. Regretfully haven't been yet despite being relatively close. I'm also the only one in our group to ever repeatedly come back to the desert with a tent, so maybe it's just that I'm crazy
Old 12-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
There are enough of us going that you could set up your tent next to an rv of somebody here, makes a huge difference. For only 2 days you will be fine. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee I tow out there and gets me easily to all the viewing spots that are good so that will work for you also. Food will not be a problem in town. Don't know where you are flying into but I recomend Vegas for a Bachelor party. Hell you might never make it to the lake bed if you do.

Last edited by crowbar7; 12-17-2018 at 10:32 PM.
crowbar7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Rent a U-haul box truck. Tick yes to the extra insurance. Stop at an outdoor store for a wood stove kit, cots, water jugs, and coolers. Stop at HF for a cheap sawzall, discarded pallets, a couple strings of Christmas lights, jerry cans, and a shitty generator. Buck hole in box truck for wood stove kit. Use sawzall to cut up pallets into suitable sized pieces for the stove. Set up Christmas lights to illuminate the truck inside and out. Proceed to get shitty drunk and burn the truck down after throwing too much wood in the stove to allow the door to close.

Did I mention ticking yes to the extra insurance? Never been to KOH but this seems like it should work to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
popeye

Member # 20027
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
Rent a U-haul box truck. Tick yes to the extra insurance. Stop at an outdoor store for a wood stove kit, cots, water jugs, and coolers. Stop at HF for a cheap sawzall, discarded pallets, a couple strings of Christmas lights, jerry cans, and a shitty generator. Buck hole in box truck for wood stove kit. Use sawzall to cut up pallets into suitable sized pieces for the stove. Set up Christmas lights to illuminate the truck inside and out. Proceed to get shitty drunk and burn the truck down after throwing too much wood in the stove to allow the door to close.

Did I mention ticking yes to the extra insurance? Never been to KOH but this seems like it should work to me.
dont burn pallets

The rest sounds good
Old 12-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
All these guys are making to big of a deal out of it. The coldest years I've been was 5ish years ago and I tent camped. It wasnt that bad. Find someone here to camp with, bring beer and have a good time. Do it different next year if you see the need
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2018, 11:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotee View Post
dont burn pallets

The rest sounds good
So it's not okay to burn cut up pallets in the wood stove, yet it's okay to burn the whole truck to the ground?

Old 12-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
All these guys are making to big of a deal out of it. The coldest years I've been was 5ish years ago and I tent camped. It wasnt that bad. Find someone here to camp with, bring beer and have a good time. Do it different next year if you see the need
Not everyone wants to snoodle with another man to stay warm.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
So it's not okay to burn cut up pallets in the wood stove, yet it's okay to burn the whole truck to the ground?
The point he’s trying to make is the nails left behind. It’s a big problem when people burn pallets then walk away. Pretty sure there’s a thread on here about the shit inconsiderate ass holes leave behind on the lakebed.

Last edited by rockdog57; 12-18-2018 at 05:12 AM.
rockdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 05:34 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Find someone here to camp with, bring beer and have a good time.
The overbear and 2bb vuide to koh.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:46 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Where are you flying in to? It could mean the difference in getting gear and not. Locally Burning Man takes up almost every rental and ounce of food it can find during the week prior.

Some glow sticks or lanterns could be handy to keep you’re tent visible for night time.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 05:55 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar7 View Post
There are enough of us going that you could set up your tent next to an rv of somebody here, makes a huge difference. For only 2 days you will be fine. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee I tow out there and gets me easily to all the viewing spots that are good so that will work for you also. Food will not be a problem in town. Don't know where you are flying into but I recomend Vegas for a Bachelor party. Hell you might never make it to the lake bed if you do.
There's my vote. Fly to Vegas and enjoy your weekend there. KOH would be miserable in a tent and having to go buy most of the shit you can't fly in with for only 2 days. Only to throw it all away or give it to a local.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 731241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
Also, if you can't find a trailer to put your tent on I'd suggest NOT pitching the tent on the lakebed. Pitch it off the lakebed in the areas where there's brush.
Yes dont camp in the section 8 area. I camped one night my first time. Never again.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 95508
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdog57 View Post
The point heís trying to make is the nails left behind. Itís a big problem when people burn pallets then walk away.
But burn the truck to the ground still?
wrobo23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in