Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Need a Good Grill Reccomendation (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2674742)

Smith97_454 01-07-2019 12:02 PM

Need a Good Grill Reccomendation

Need a new grill, atleast 3 burners if not 4. Looking a Weber Spirti II 310 but all in all would like to stay around $500. Dont care about a side burner unless its a searing burner. Any if you have a good recommendation or first hand experience? No Holland grills.
Thanks

rockmup 01-07-2019 12:11 PM

You can catch the Genisis on sale @ Lowes for 600 once in awhile. Its a great grill for us anyway.

Smith97_454 01-07-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockmup (Post 44254388)
You can catch the Genisis on sale @ Lowes for 600 once in awhile. Its a great grill for us anyway.

Ive seen the Genesis but from what i see the only difference is it has a bottom cabinetry with doors, i started by looking at the Genesis until i cam across the Spirit

D-RAT 01-07-2019 12:21 PM

Look for cast iron grates vs. stainless, and cast burners vs. the tinny stamped ones.

Go from there.

My old grill is a 14 year old Char Broil with 3 burners, cast iron, and a side burner. Has been fantastic. I added another layer of grating over the burners but under the grill for a layer of ceramic briquettes for much more even heating.

Joe_W 01-07-2019 12:30 PM

I never understood why people spent the money for Weber's until a friend gave us their old one. 2 years later we bought a new Spirit. I'm a fan

newracer 01-07-2019 01:06 PM

Take a look at the Char Broil Tru-infrared grills. I have this one and love it.

https://www.charbroil.com/commercial...rner-gas-grill

Midwestzj 01-07-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smith97_454 (Post 44254392)
Ive seen the Genesis but from what i see the only difference is it has a bottom cabinetry with doors, i started by looking at the Genesis until i cam across the Spirit

did you look at the size of the cooking surface between the two or the BTU's?

Bones 01-07-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newracer (Post 44254510)

I own the smaller version and personally think it's very slow to heat up and forever to get to searing temps. It's stored in the garage so if I get 5 yeas out it I won't dry.

So now if I want to sear something (from sous vide) I lug out the fish fryer burner and a cast iron pan. It's a hassle I was hoping to avoid. #whitepeopleprobs

newracer 01-07-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones (Post 44254526)
I own the smaller version and personally think it's very slow to heat up and forever to get to searing temps. It's stored in the garage so if I get 5 yeas out it I won't dry.

So now if I want to sear something (from sous vide) I lug out the fish fryer burner and a cast iron pan. It's a hassle I was hoping to avoid. #whitepeopleprobs

Mine heats up fairly quick, I'd say on average 7-8 minutes to get to over 500*. I am using natural gas plumbed from the house.

Bones 01-07-2019 01:20 PM

LP here and sometimes it isn't bad, other times it's 15 minutes plus just to get to tree-fitty

GonPostal 01-07-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

I have an older version of this unit which certainly performed well early on, and is about 4 years old now.

While still functional, the burner grates are starting to see better days, and the burners themselves will need replacing. The rest of the unit is in great shape.

Between those replacement items, I'm most of the way there to a whole new BBQ. I swear grates and burners are the "printer cartridge" equivalents of the BBQ world.

Smith97_454 01-07-2019 01:46 PM

Im actually now looking at this

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Broil-King-Ba...ill/1000421937

. My closest Lowes has 2 of them om clearance for $99. Every place else wants $400 even other Lowes stores. Few reviea ive seen say they are great but the cast iron grates can rust some. No biggie there. Checked it out in person and its a heavier duty than the Webers. A smidge smaller than i planned but i could buy 2 of them and it still be half cost of the original price and the Webers

eDaddi 01-07-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

We grill a ton for food prep, I despised that grill. My FIL has the small one and its the same story. I felt like I has to re-learn how to grill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe_W (Post 44254418)
I never understood why people spent the money for Weber's until a friend gave us their old one. 2 years later we bought a new Spirit. I'm a fan

Same here. A buddy started teaching at the Weber Grill Academy and he talked me into getting a Weber. I got the 4 burner Summit and have been absolutely thrilled by it. I've got several compliments on its looks and the food thats come off it. It's got the smoke box on it, my only small complaint is that it should be toward the middle of the grill or something, not near the lid hinge. I feel like it lets a lot of smoke right out.

My buddy was explaining BTUs on grills there is some science to it, but the gist of it is ..... most of the grills out there are way overkill because people think its cool. Look behind the grills at the box stores, the higher the BTU the larger gap it has between the lid and grill to let all that unnecessary heat out. The Webers have less BTUs and hardly and virtually no space back there... also saves fuel. You can really tell the difference with the way your meat comes off the grill.

Aside from my buddy's knowledge, the 2nd thing that sold me on the weber was a video on youtube that I can't find right now from my phone. It essentially compared 5-6 grills and they took slices of bread and covered every square inch of the grill space. The weber was the only one that evenly toasted the bread where the others had definite hot (burn?) and cold spots.

Webers are definitely worth the money

underpowered 01-07-2019 02:00 PM

I use a Dyna-glo brand from Home-depot.

it is a 4 burner, was only just over $300 new. No complaints with it and using it on a regular basis for going on 4 years. By regular basis, it gets used at least twice a week year round and pretty well daily in the summer months. Cast grates, does have stainless burners though. I'd give it a 7/10.

thedirtman 01-07-2019 02:00 PM

I used gas in the past and picked up a green mountain pellet grill and it beats gas hands down. You don't over cook like on a gas grill and chicken and turkey come out extremely tender. Bacon is awesome on it. It will also get up to 500 degrees which some pellet cookers won't do.

giles45shop 01-07-2019 02:05 PM

Bought a Genesis e310 this summer in stainless. Went with the stainless grill and stainless grates instead of cast iron. Really happy with it. Bought from local Ace Hardware instead of the big box store, they have a much larger selection and neither Lowes nor HD had this version in stock. Was $799, and would have come withfree delivery. A little more than your budget, but with a 10 year warranty on everything you can rationalize it as costing only $80/yr :)

Had numerouus other grills, including the stainless big box brands, none of them lasted more than a few years. Jopefully this is a buy once, cry once...

2big bronco 01-07-2019 02:05 PM

I've had 3-4 grills over the years including 5he charbroil and I have to say my current webber spirit (the smallest one) is the best one I've owned. At 5 years old it shows 0 wear

Alpine4x4 01-07-2019 02:07 PM

Weber. I won a Genesis 3 burner from my Snap-On dealer this summer and question how I ever grilled on anything before. Heats up insanely quick, excellent heat distribution, good on gas use, cleans up well, etc. Its an amazing grill.
https://i.postimg.cc/L8w5yJCb/IMG-20...194448-187.jpg

Mattafact 01-07-2019 02:46 PM

I own 5 different Webers, only one of which I bought new. They make a nice grill and you can get used ones for pennies on the dollar.

My first grill (which I still have) was an old school Silver Genesis natural gas 2 burner to which I added cast iron grates. It sears a steak nicely at the far rear-left part of the grill but no other part gets quite hot enough. I've been doing 99% of my grilling over charcoal these days so it's mostly used for overflow when I have a bunch of people over.

Consume reports said the 4 burner Genesis had the most even heat of all the Webers they tested, even better than the 6 burner.

Lynx makes a really nice gas grill from what I've heard. I've been casually looking on CL for a used one.

BillyBronco 01-07-2019 06:44 PM

I had an semi expensive Vermont Casings ($900) grill. I rarely used it but it worked good. After 9 years it was showing its age. I have picked up 4 weber grills for free and replaced a few parts and resold them. I never cooked on them but I did like that I could easily find burners/grates for 20 year old grill. So webers have cheap/readily available parts even decades later.

If you can find a used Weber Summit series you will like it way better than the cheap Spirit line.

My current grill is a commercial DCS "Dynamic Cooking Systems" grill I bought for $20 off Facebook marketplace because of a "leaky" valve. I spent 5 min troubleshooting and found out the valve tip had slipped out of the burner I pushed it back in and all is good again. This grill allegedly new cost $2500. I would never pay that for a grill but man this thing is super overbuilt. Despite being 12 years old and heavily used before me everything is in great shape. Thick stainless steel burners about 3 times as thick as the Webers I had. It has cermaic rods above the burners to help sear meat and nice thick stainless steel grates. Also the stainless the cabinet is made from is high quality as it doesn't show any rust or discoloration you see from lower quality stainless. DCS is not a well known brand and I don't think made anymore so if you find one they are usually fairly cheap since it isn't a popular brand but it will easily outlast any Weber.

smurfblue40 01-07-2019 06:59 PM

We just replaced a ten year old (+/-) charbroil infra red grill. They finally discontinued the parts I needed to rebuild it for the third time.

We went back to Weber, we got a Genesis II E-315, full cabinet version of Alpine4x4ís grill. It has just what I need, and a ten year warranty :D

TJGreg5 01-07-2019 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe_W (Post 44254418)

They're solid. If anything ever rusts/breaks/needs to be replaced, parts are cheap and easy to find as well. I picked up a barely used genesis on CL for $200 a couple years back. Been real happy with it.

waterhorse 01-07-2019 07:23 PM

We had a Char broil with inferred. My wife loves inferred, but the burners got burned up in a few years. The whole thing got smashed in the hurricane. We looked at a lot grills and bought a "Mr Steak". It has very heavy duty burners and grates. (And inferred) The grates are 3/8" solid stainless. It works good, but we've only used it four times.

Right after we bought it, I saw a grill in Tractor Supply that was completely stainless. I don't know if it is good, but A lot of grills have some stainless and some regular steel painted to look like stainless.

Mattafact 01-07-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterhorse (Post 44255134)
We had a Char broil with inferred. My wife loves inferred, but the burners got burned up in a few years. The whole thing got smashed in the hurricane. We looked at a lot grills and bought a "Mr Steak". It has very heavy duty burners and grates. (And inferred) The grates are 3/8" solid stainless. It works good, but we've only used it four times.

Right after we bought it, I saw a grill in Tractor Supply that was completely stainless. I don't know if it is good, but A lot of grills have some stainless and some regular steel painted to look like stainless.

What precisely are you inferring here? :confused:

Bones 01-08-2019 06:38 AM

Stainless is a joke for grilling, you want cast iron for the burners and grates. I had a Kennmore I think for 12 years that had porcelain burners and I replaced them a few times, but by the 4th time they no longer sold anything to replace them. The grill itself was still solid. Since then (13 years) I have went through three grills. My latest is stored in my garage in hopes it lasts a good while.