Effect of Govt Shutdown on Your Life - Page 6 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #126 (permalink)

Member # 95763
Coast Guard parking lot on base this morning.

Empty AF. Hope there aren't any emergencies.
KarlVP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 11:46 AM   #127 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
I suggest they revolt.
I second this motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
Can they open a tap room with only state or local blessing?
I'd imagine so. Without knowing the laws I would think draft beer could be served without much federal oversight however I've never opened a brewery or local alcoholic watering hole so I'm unsure. Just something I read about online. BATFE approves all the labels for cans/bottles. Draft beer without a label would probably be a state/local thing.
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #128 (permalink)

Member # 84132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
Interesting, love the fact that 2/3 of all govt' spending in FY 2018 was for debt payments...nothing to see here, move along.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 AM   #129 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by void_of_light View Post
weird, I did my TSA precheck thing on Monday. I thought that was all part of the same system?

They had a mobile enrollment center setup at a local airport so we went to it.
TSA precheck is subcontracted out to non government companies - at least it was where I went to get mine done. The Global entry is a huge pain in the ass because there are only a few places you can go to get it done and the appointments are months out. The local one is at a government office downtown.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #130 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
It seems like some people here do not understand is that if your position is considered critical you still have to report to work, even though you are not being paid. This happened a few times when I worked for the State of Kalifornia; we were ordered to work without pay. Yes, we eventually got paid. Sometimes it was in comp time off, sometimes it was actual money. It was never for more than a few weeks. Creditors were usually sympathetic and did not charge late fees, but it still sucked not getting paid. We had one full year where we did not get paid for days per month we actually worked and were compensated with comp time off. I saved that 144 hours until I retired 15 years later so the state had to pay me for my time.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:01 PM   #131 (permalink)

Member # 111641
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
I second this motion.

I'd imagine so. Without knowing the laws I would think draft beer could be served without much federal oversight however I've never opened a brewery or local alcoholic watering hole so I'm unsure. Just something I read about online. BATFE approves all the labels for cans/bottles. Draft beer without a label would probably be a state/local thing.

It only effects new beer that is distributed across state lines. No issue within the state.
Save Tellico #153
justanotherjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM   #132 (permalink)

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDK View Post
It seems like some people here do not understand is that if your position is considered critical you still have to report to work, even though you are not being paid. This happened a few times when I worked for the State of Kalifornia; we were ordered to work without pay.
Fuck off with saying you were working without pay.

You were working with your payday being deferred.

There is a huge difference. They will pay you. It's guaranteed.

Fix your personal finances and shut up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #133 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 109423
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue&Goldie2 View Post
As I sit on my ass watching the evening "news", it dawned on me that the govt shutdown has had zero effect on my life. If it wasn't for the bullshit politics behind it drawing so much attention, I wouldn't even know there was a shutdown. Am I the only one who feels this way? Obviously the govt workers have been effected, but for those effected who aren't govt employees, in what way has the shutdown impacted your life?
Agreed! As long as tax returns are processed Im good. Or they keep my refund if I can stop paying...
Go back to riding your Fag Dog Brokeback or whatever the fuck its called.
1990GT50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #134 (permalink)

Member # 48545
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
The Global entry is a huge pain in the ass because there are only a few places you can go to get it done and the appointments are months out. The local one is at a government office downtown.
Its not really that bad most major POE have a Global entry location to do the ineterview. I did mine in ATL and just scheduled it when I was going through ATL any way, adjusted flights for time to do it. It took all of 15min to do it. Best money I ever spent, but I traveled overseas alot then, beat standing in the cattle lines with the imports.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bo185; 01-25-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Bo185 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #135 (permalink)

Member # 147348
Quote:
Originally Posted by void_of_light View Post
weird, I did my TSA precheck thing on Monday. I thought that was all part of the same system?

They had a mobile enrollment center setup at a local airport so we went to it.

I heard of another getting TSA precheck no problem as well.

For the Global Entry you have to interview with a Homeland?/TSA?/Customs? agent to be vetted in addition to the TSA pre check info.
At the time of the shutdown they cancelled our appointments at DFW and there are only 5? centers open in the US 3 of which are in Texas, Laredo Hidalgo and ElPaso in Tx. None of which are remotely close to me.

Last edited by CarterKaft; 01-25-2019 at 03:32 PM.
CarterKaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 03:09 PM   #136 (permalink)

Member # 70825
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKaft View Post
I heard of another getting TSA precheck no problem as well.

For the Global Entry you have to interview with a Homeland?/TSA?/Customs? agent to be vetted in addition to the TSA pre check info.
I thought that was what the precheck thing was going to be. We were in and out in 5 mins each. Guys barely said 2 words to me the whole time.

Nothing we did couldn't have been done at the dmv. All they did was take fingerprints, pictures and scanned my passport. I had to make a 3 hour round trip for that
Old 01-25-2019, 03:35 PM   #137 (permalink)

Member # 147348
It's a 2 hour round trip to DFW for me but with a 5 year term I hope its worth it.
I have a trip in May, I just hope we can get it all approved in time.
CarterKaft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 07:53 AM   #138 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 16751
Quote:

And all the people that did NOT work will also get paid for not working
Wait and see

And although Iíve been in that spot a couple times when I was young

If missing a paycheck or two causes you serious problems , then you need to learn how to budget and save
Everyone needs a rainy day fund
Because I guarantee that someday youíre gonna need it
Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?[Alan Keyes]

For some, Freedom matters, for most, prosperity suffices.[Fred Reed]

74Bronco EFI 5spd
roundhouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #139 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
Quote:

I made a error in saying they were working without pay, it is being deferred. I am also sure you have had times in your life where getting or not getting a paycheck on time was the difference between making ends meet or not.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:15 PM   #140 (permalink)

Member # 159257
Quote:
We had one full year where we did not get paid for days per month we actually worked and were compensated with comp time off. I saved that 144 hours until I retired 15 years later so the state had to pay me for my time.
So you got paid MORE for time you worked. Sounds like a bad deal to me going a few days a year not getting paid but having 3+months of pay at my exiting rate being handed to me. Where can I sign up for that option?
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #141 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
I made a error in saying they were working without pay, it is being deferred. I am also sure you have had times in your life where getting or not getting a paycheck on time was the difference between making ends meet or not.

I assume you turned down any bonuses or raises when the whole private sector was taking pay, hour, and benefit cuts during the recession?

Welcome to the private sector. You suck off the tax pater teet for employment I got zero fucks to give unless you are active military.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #142 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8DWINGS View Post
So you got paid MORE for time you worked. Sounds like a bad deal to me going a few days a year not getting paid but having 3+months of pay at my exiting rate being handed to me. Where can I sign up for that option?
Yeah, 20 years later. If I had that money in my personal retirement account, it would have been a lot more. It was one day a week, if I remember correctly, not a few days per year. You can sign up for that option by spending 25 years working for the great State of the People's Republic of Kalifornia, and the retirement as well. Its called planning ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
I assume you turned down any bonuses or raises when the whole private sector was taking pay, hour, and benefit cuts during the recession?

Welcome to the private sector. You suck off the tax pater teet for employment I got zero fucks to give unless you are active military.

No bonuses ever given, but I did take every raise that came to me. Like you would do any different.

I was simply pointing out that everyone is at some time in their lives living from paycheck to paycheck, and wouldn't that be great if your boss decided at that moment you had to wait a month or two to get that check. Don't care if you don't give a fuck. You caring, like the government shutdown, hasn't effected me one bit.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #143 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Then your smart with your money and I tip my hat to you. Private sector small business goes through this shit all the time. We are used to it by now. Just sick of all the government takers whining.

Old 01-28-2019, 07:06 PM   #144 (permalink)

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
Then your smart with your money and I tip my hat to you. Private sector small business goes through this shit all the time. We are used to it by now. Just sick of all the government takers whining.

You want to explain to him that he never actually paid any taxes? He was a zero sum worker.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:27 PM   #145 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
You want to explain to him that he never actually paid any taxes? He was a zero sum worker.

I donít got that in me tonight. Balls in your court. Currently watch my 2 boys with my back sending lightning bolts out my eyes at random.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #146 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
I haven't read through this whole thread, but it's had zero effect on me other than all the asshole lefts who feel that after missing two paychecks, these people are gonna lose their houses and their children are going without food. If you can't go 30 days without a paycheck, let alone after that 30 days, you get back pay and it's some sorta financial crisis, you need to re-evaluate your life choices.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:45 AM   #147 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslimfu View Post
I haven't read through this whole thread, but it's had zero effect on me other than all the asshole lefts who feel that after missing two paychecks, these people are gonna lose their houses and their children are going without food. If you can't go 30 days without a paycheck, let alone after that 30 days, you get back pay and it's some sorta financial crisis, you need to re-evaluate your life choices.

This.

All of the banks in the area are advertising low interest personal loans to .gov employees. If you need a loan to make it 30 days, you've fucked up. I work for the local .gov so I can say this.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 06:54 AM   #148 (permalink)

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by KacksterK5 View Post
This.

All of the banks in the area are advertising low interest personal loans to .gov employees. If you need a loan to make it 30 days, you've fucked up. I work for the local .gov so I can say this.
And the stupid people will think it's corporate compassion. Capitalism at it's finest, opportunistic lending with low fees and easy payments.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:18 AM   #149 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
I went and test drove cars this past weekend. The Subaru dealer said it has had a really slow month and is feeling the effects of the shut down. I kinda chuckled when the sales guy told me that.
BarrelRoll is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2019, 07:22 AM   #150 (permalink)

Member # 111524
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelRoll View Post
I went and test drove cars this past weekend. The Subaru dealer said it has had a really slow month and is feeling the effects of the shut down. I kinda chuckled when the sales guy told me that.
So 800,000 government workers are keeping car dealerships afloat? More proof they're being paid too much

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in