Cold weather boots, step on in - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2019, 06:24 AM   #26 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 52443
If the material breathes, it's not gonna work for any real amount of time.

Wet, cold? Rubber moon boots. Or cold, wet feet.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 52443

Old 01-25-2019, 06:27 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 48233
for Socks, my best combo has been a wool synthetic blend toe sock topped with a wool sock. even in regular shoes this works great because the toe socks are thin enough that my feet aren't being squeezed and they will wick moisture away much quicker than non toe socks.

I've been very happy my newest purchase of Under Armour boots. They are really lightweight but I'm not sure how I'd feel about them while riding a bike.

[QUOTE=xyjbeaker;9759686]"mexican food reminds you of my face?"[/QUOTE]
Doc Holiday13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 06:35 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post

Feet do not sweat an insane amount, conditions vary from cold/dry/windy to some slush/slop/water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13 View Post
for Socks, my best combo has been a wool synthetic blend toe sock topped with a wool sock. even in regular shoes this works great because the toe socks are thin enough that my feet aren't being squeezed and they will wick moisture away much quicker than non toe socks.

I've been very happy my newest purchase of Under Armour boots. They are really lightweight but I'm not sure how I'd feel about them while riding a bike.
I have a healthy stash of merino wool and synthetic blend socks.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 113594
A guy I know told me that he sprays his feet with spray anti-persperant before going out in the cold. Supposed to keep your feet from sweating which ends up making them cold. I haven't tried it yet though.
prox621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 06:48 AM   #31 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
I have a pair of old Columbia boots for MTB in the winter time. They're a size too large so I can layer in a heat-reflective sock, a sock liner and a good wool sock. I've had them for a good 10+ years so I'm sure Columbia has retired the model. They're not a particularly heavy weight boot, though. Just a little bit of Thinsulate.

If you're riding flats with studs, I'd look for a medium-weight winter hiking boot that fits your foot, buy a size large and wear socks as I described above.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:02 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by prox621 View Post
A guy I know told me that he sprays his feet with spray anti-persperant before going out in the cold. Supposed to keep your feet from sweating which ends up making them cold. I haven't tried it yet though.
Haven't heard that one yet. I was told to put your feet in a plastic grocery sack after you put your socks on, then into the boots. Seems silly to me personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
I have a pair of old Columbia boots for MTB in the winter time. They're a size too large so I can layer in a heat-reflective sock, a sock liner and a good wool sock. I've had them for a good 10+ years so I'm sure Columbia has retired the model. They're not a particularly heavy weight boot, though. Just a little bit of Thinsulate.

If you're riding flats with studs, I'd look for a medium-weight winter hiking boot that fits your foot, buy a size large and wear socks as I described above.
Yeah I have a relatively thin Columbia boot that is 200 grams of thinsulate. I bought some reflective glove liners this winter and they are amazing and I don't use them much because they work too good. I could not find them in an under sock and think this might solve a lot of my issues.

These are what I have
https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-seiru...MaAjuYEALw_wcB

May try to find these locally if that's what you are talking about
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/seir...0aAvO3EALw_wcB
Old 01-25-2019, 07:05 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 67823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holiday13 View Post

Betcha those fall apart within a year of use. Under armour are really comfy, but they're shitty boots, same as rocky.

When I rode in the winter, which I am now smart enough not to do, I wore a set of thin pac boots. For snowshoeing I wear uninsulated Lowas snd one pair of mid weight merino socks. Admittedly, I'm in more like -10 weather for that.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #34 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Yeah I have a relatively thin Columbia boot that is 200 grams of thinsulate. I bought some reflective glove liners this winter and they are amazing and I don't use them much because they work too good. I could not find them in an under sock and think this might solve a lot of my issues.
These are the ones I have: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 01-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Ordering a couple pairs. Thanks
Old 01-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 48224
[QUOTE=Bones;44286686]Haven't heard that one yet. I was told to put your feet in a plastic grocery sack after you put your socks on, then into the boots. Seems silly to me personally.

I would try the plastic bag method, it may surprise you. I have done that on and off over the years. I've also used nitrile gloves inside other gloves, or just bare nitrile gloves.
FoghornLeghorn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #37 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
Quote:
Ordering a couple pairs. Thanks
Sure. They aren't super durable, but they do a good job reflecting back heat from you feet.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Sure. They aren't super durable, but they do a good job reflecting back heat from you feet.
Yeah the glove stitching is terrible on my gloves
Old 01-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 82607
A couple of thing I have found in my 40 years of working in Northeast winters, first and foremost don't get boots that are too tight, your foot needs some breathing room and secondly Gortex is your friend. You need to wick the water away as it is created. Marino wool blend socks are your friend too. I have several brands, Smartwool, Vermont Darn Tough socks (unconditionally guaranteed for life) and some I just tried this year from Amazon called minus-33, they are marketed as snowboarding socks.
I have 800 mg thinsulate Rocky boots. I'm searching for something better and maybe even less bulkey. My 200 mg's are only good in the fall.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 02:25 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 110516
Baffin boots with the lightest weight wool sock I can get away with. The secret for me is not letting my feet sweat. As long as they stay dry, my feet stay warm. Most of the time I can get away with just wool liner socks in my Baffin boots. As soon as my feet sweat, I remove the socks and put on dry socks. This worked very well for several years working outside in the oil fields of the Northern US.
KDXSR5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2019, 05:01 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 81812
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDXSR5 View Post
Baffin boots with the lightest weight wool sock I can get away with. The secret for me is not letting my feet sweat. As long as they stay dry, my feet stay warm. Most of the time I can get away with just wool liner socks in my Baffin boots. As soon as my feet sweat, I remove the socks and put on dry socks. This worked very well for several years working outside in the oil fields of the Northern US.
^^^^
This
Been working outside 30 years. Tried everything to keep my feet warm. You name it I tried it. I started wearing a pair of unisulated redwing work boots. Just a leather boot, nothing inside, no liner nothing. Worn with one pair of light socks keeps my feet from sweating. No sweat= dry feet that stay warm all day in some frigid weather.

Just worked a 8hr day on a concrete deck in single digit temperatures. My feet didn't get cold all day and I was on an exposed concrete deck. (high rise under construction)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 848
I agree that you are cutting off circulation.

Good circulation is the key to warm feet, not insulation. Even socks can be too tight. Boots need to be at least a size larger. To check fit, loosen laces all the way, push foot all the way forward and make sure you can stick at least one finger behind your heel. Keep in mind that your feet will swell.

Last edited by Nobody; 01-25-2019 at 10:19 PM.
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2019, 06:50 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 28604
Quote:
In the midwest, currently is windy and cold, -25 windchills and my feet just can't take being outdoors in these temps long at all. I enjoy hiking and biking, but the other night 2 miles into a ride and my feet were to the bone cold. Everything else on me is plenty warm and comfortable.

Looking for a boot/sock combo that will work for at least a few hours in the cold stuff and not be of massive size if possible.

Currently 200 gram thinsulate boots and double up with wool and a thinner sock and it is not cutting it. Partially because with 2 pairs of socks my feet are now cramped in the boot that already has limited insulation for the task I am asking of it.
If you're looking for winter biking boots, check out 45North. Their stuff is $$, but worth it.
Rerock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerock View Post
If you're looking for winter biking boots, check out 45North. Their stuff is $$, but worth it.
Far from worth it for me. I don't clip in, so I do not need bike specific IMO and their price tags are insane
Old 01-27-2019, 11:23 AM   #45 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
One layer of thick good quality wool blend socks works for me. My boots this year are these: Redwing worx 5 inch hiker, a size larger.

Old 01-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
One layer of thick good quality wool blend socks works for me. My boots this year are these: Redwing worx 5 inch hiker, a size larger.

Not even close to what I am looking for.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:52 PM   #47 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Quote:
Not even close to what I am looking for.
I figured that, but my feet stay warm. The thick good socks are the ticket anyway.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:25 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 52710
I wear a rocky 400g military style boot (S2V). Smart wool socks. I'll wear 2 pair below zero. Works great.

In the snow I'll wear knee high gators. You let them get wet, your toes are screwed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jpmassey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2019, 09:01 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Saturday these along with toe warmers in -15 temps with my old Rocky boots seemed to do the trick. Granted the ride was somewhat limited outside and only 10 miles with multiple bars stops along the way. I'd say it was a win
Old 03-05-2019, 09:53 AM   #50 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
Quote:
Saturday these along with toe warmers in -15 temps with my old Rocky boots seemed to do the trick. Granted the ride was somewhat limited outside and only 10 miles with multiple bars stops along the way. I'd say it was a win
Sounds like it to me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in