Your budget koh build - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 01:54 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 853678
After 3 years of the Everyman challenge in 4800 class and watching the 4600 cars, assuming the person could drive :

warmed over 22re

solid axle yota

deaver springs,

built fj80 axles

dual cases

fuel injection with back up fuel system

250 wall beefy as fawk drivelines with a spare of each

BFG blue lables, 2 spare tires in bed

front and rear winch to aid in hang ups quickly

Pre-run the trails with a very similar rig

I don't see shocks usually being the limiter in this, its attrition. Drive well, consistent, minimize breakage and finish = top ten

Watching the pile ups and people struggling to work together to clear it really cost many teams valuable time. Booze cruise the desert and be a rock start in the rocks.

NO, its not a podium finish at this level.

-Shawn
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 03:50 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 85771
97 XJ, AW4, 300.
Gutted, caged
huge tranny cooler
Radesign shifter
FJ80 axles
RCV's
toyota driveshafts and flanges on the Tcase
AR plate from the idler pulley back.
35's in whatever flavor I could get.
OEM crank sensor replaced on starting line before race.
Screen door for a hood vent
Old 02-01-2019, 04:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Beat to shit Ranger with the 4.0.

Ghetto cut and turn (just move the lower ball joint out). Gusset the fuck out of everything having to do with the crossmembers and drop brackets. Use radius arms off a 2wd Super-duty. F150 could buckets with F250 shock mounts grafted on, do all the tricks to get more travel out of the TTB. Skid plates from the engine crossmember back.

I haven't read the rule book but I'd swap in an Explorer 8.8 and if I can't do that I'd weld all the brackets onto an Explorer 8.8 to make it look like a Ranger 8.8 and hope nobody notices.

Run the deepest gears available. Detroits front and rear. Chromo shafts out back and RCVs up front.

Deavers and nice shocks all around.

Spend a fuckton of time practicing.

With enough budget to just buy everything right when you need it two guys could probably have it built in a year of weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
I agree. Don't think the 8k cap is near enough.
If you exclude all the odds and ends that everyone has to buy (fuel system, cage, etc) I think it's enough to build the vehicle. Definitively not enough to do everything then get there and race the vehicle. Also, time is money. If you work your ass off every weekend of the year to fab stuff you'll have spent less money than the guy that buys the same stuff in 6mo.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 02-01-2019 at 05:02 AM.
arse_sidewards is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 04:49 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Quote:
Originally Posted by billdacat View Post
I have never been to KOH; but is it possible to build a rig for under 20K to actually be competitive?
The JK's Gerald builds are under 20K. He's a genius though and has access to something's most of us don't and that's 2 door JK's for not more than 5K to start with, and time.

I think I could do it for under 10K but going to have to wait and see.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 04:52 AM   #30 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
I agree. Don't think the 8k cap is near enough.

That's the point, what would you build for 8k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:13 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 693689
Quote:
I have never been to KOH; but is it possible to build a rig for under 20K to actually be competitive?
That's what I was thinking. I've never been, but I was under the impression it costs tons of money.
DannyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 05:51 AM   #32 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyK View Post
That's what I was thinking. I've never been, but I was under the impression it costs tons of money.
I usually argue that it can be done cheaper then anyone here seems to think but I havnt raced myself so it's all just bench racing comming fron ne. I do think you could build a truck for 8k that could pass tech and wheel the entire course without breaking. Doing it in the allotted time is a totally different story. Then there is all the personal safty equiptment, fuel, food, being away from your day job, entry fee, ect that all adds up fast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:59 AM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
I usually argue that it can be done cheaper then anyone here seems to think but I havnt raced myself so it's all just bench racing comming fron ne. I do think you could build a truck for 8k that could pass tech and wheel the entire course without breaking. Doing it in the allotted time is a totally different story. Then there is all the personal safty equiptment, fuel, food, being away from your day job, entry fee, ect that all adds up fast.
The rig and the race team both cost really big bucks the first year and a lot less after that. I feel like it depends on what you've already got around, what your experience is and who you've got to help.

I think if you and your buddies have done LeMons for a couple seasons and have all the necessary tools and skills to do the suspension and cage in house it would be a lot less expensive than someone starting from scratch. All the stuff you need to run a race team is an equally massive cost the first year but all the safety equipment, the pit setup, etc, etc. can be used again. Even your parts pile is an asset. If you happen to have the right yoke or pulley sitting in a bucket somewhere you just saved a few bucks. If you've got drawers full of used plumbing fittings that you can use you'll probably save a few hundred bucks over the course of the entire vehicle.

It's all the little stuff that gets you and the longer you've been wrenching and the longer you've been racing the less you'll spend on that little stuff.

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 02-01-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 94747
Jesse Haine's says it costs him 10K to race at KOH not including the race car.

I bank rolled my own race car one year at KOH. Between entry fee's, fuel for both tow rig and race car, food and drink for 10 days for myself and the guys who came to help me, car prep, shock tuning etc. I found that 10K number to be pretty close. I did it for more like 8K. Again, that didn't include anything to do with buying or building the car, I was sponsored tires and stuff like fire extinguishers fire suits and helmets.

Entry fee's, transponder rental, hammertown address, qualifying spot, parking passes, USAC insurance which is mostly all mandatory was between 2K and 3K alone. Over 1,000 bucks for food and beer. Shock tuning cost me about 1,200. $600 in fuel combined. One $600 dollar head and neck restraint new seat belts and required number plates. Spare fluids hoses belts plugs, new winch rope another 5 or 6 hundred. Bought photo packages from a few of the pro's out there.

That's on top of my 40K diesel tow rig, 18K race trailer, 25K used race car. I blew all my money that year. I'm currently working my ass off 600 miles and an 8 hour drive from my girl so that I can regroup and blow it all again for the chance to take the checkered flag. Thinking of trying 4600 to see if I can better the fun to dollars ratio over the 4500 class.
[COLOR="Red"]MUDDNUTT racing #4531[/COLOR],[COLOR="Cyan"] Falken Tire[/COLOR], [COLOR="Yellow"]ADS[/COLOR], Jimmys4x4,[COLOR="Red"] RuffStuff Specialties[/COLOR], [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ARB usa[/COLOR], [COLOR="Wheat"]Savvy offroad[/COLOR], [COLOR="Silver"]Raceline wheels[/COLOR], John Rants
jr4x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 06:21 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 174037
This is basically just a thread of good build ideas.
will12785 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 06:27 AM   #36 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
Shock tuning cost me about 1,200

Suddenly external bypasses seem a lot cheaper.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:39 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
No. Not any more. When I first raced there were a few budget-less cars. Now there are 25 I'd guess.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by will12785 View Post
This is basically just a thread of good build ideas.
You arent wrong.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:52 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
It does include safty equiptment attached to truck.
300 junk yard LS
1200 fresh TH350
200 NP 205
1000 Sterling/Dana 60
800 5.38 gears
1000 Cheep seats and belts
800 tube and fab steal
800 XJ leaf springs
800 fox smooth shocks
$1100 any thing with a frame to put stuff on

at first pass, its not possible.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:57 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 157355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyK View Post
it does.

It can be done for $10,000 if your local. I think my fuel bill was almost $5,000.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:05 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 23553
Probably do a TTB single cab short bed ranger. Like my old ranger but with 35's and better suspension. Probably upgrade TTB shafts and more skid plates.

Old ranger

With my last ranger or current explorer front suspension setup, 2.5 c/o front, 2.5 bypass/deaver rear. These are both ~$5k builds as they sit.

Last edited by mjlogan88; 02-01-2019 at 07:06 AM.
mjlogan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Convert my 2WD Tacoma to 4x, SD axles and let her eat at the rev limiter all day. I might change the oil finally
Bones is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 07:25 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 55123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
watching the 4600 cars

NO, its not a podium finish at this level.

-Shawn
Finishing under time is podium in 4800 most of the time.
Saluki ATO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 146689
Regular cab 2nd gen Taco with V6, long travel, single case 4.7 ( not sure if they make this, thought someone did?), e locker rear/front detroit, rcvs and gears. I think one could put this together for $8k, provided you're fab skills are great and you get deals all around buy used.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:40 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusM View Post
Regular cab 2nd gen Taco with V6, long travel, single case 4.7 ( not sure if they make this, thought someone did?), e locker rear/front detroit, rcvs and gears. I think one could put this together for $8k, provided you're fab skills are great and you get deals all around buy used.
Finding the reg cab V6 taco will be your hardest obstacle and kill a lot of your budget.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:44 AM   #46 (permalink)

Member # 146689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Finding the reg cab V6 taco will be your hardest obstacle and kill a lot of your budget.
You can swap engines as long as it was offered factory right? I was thinking that or doing a 2wd up.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 214685
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr4x View Post
I have exactly the tracker you describe and I would never try to run that kind of race with a 96 hp 4 cylinder. There's just no way to get power out of the factory engine in one.
Streetbike motor swap?

Iím just thinking something nimble and small that would get through the rock sections quickly and effectively. I have no idea how much open desert is involved on the course.
Byro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusM View Post
You can swap engines as long as it was offered factory right? I was thinking that or doing a 2wd up.
Sure could. My 2WD is a 4cyl 5 speed so it would be severely outmatched
Old 02-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 188882
as said above i would be tempted to try an 80s-90s ford with either the TTB front end (solo motosports) or D60

maybe a short bed single cab 203/205 doubler, 351, fiberglass fenders/bed not narrow but short and disposable

edit: little knowledge and no experience

Last edited by arickvan; 02-01-2019 at 08:00 AM.
arickvan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 159257
https://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/d/...785840306.html

Talk this guy down to $8,000.

For sale, well built and reliable rock crawler for the family. This is one of the few SR5 4 door 22re 4runners produced. This 4runner has the following upgrades with only 15k miles since the build at Marlin Crawler in Fresno.

-HD W56 Transmission + short throw shifter kit
-Heavy Duty Clutch Kit 1600LB + Flywheel resurfacing
-Dual Ultimate Transfer Cases 2.28/4.70. 23 spline MC07 + short throw shifters both cases
-Dual Transfer Case Cross member, 2 Toyota mounts
-Front and Rear High Angle CV Heavy wall drive shafts
-4in Solid Axle Swap with a gusseted 85 front axle, Marlin's Billet Cross Over High Steer Kit
-Bilstein Shocks all around with custom frame plating
-Yukon 5.29 ring and pinion gears front and rear.
-Rear V6 Yukon Air locker
-Marlin's Knuckle Service with New Wheel Bearings and Seals front and rear
-Custom Front Winch Mount Stinger Bumper
-Custom Rock Sliders and Frame Plating
-Custom Rear Bumper and Frame Plating
-Full Face Differential Rock Armor
- 38.5/14.50/16R Toyo MT Tires
-16in Pro-Comp Aluminum Wheels
-ARB Air Compressor under the hood with air chuck to fill tires.

Has a Flowmaster exhaust. Cylinder head has 75k miles since last time I had a valve job done. Recent tune up and radiatior with silicone hoses. Has Air Conditioning. Sony stereo with Polk audio speakers. Blue Rock Lights inside and underneath. Was a daily driver/ Weekend Warrior after the build for 3 years. Currently registered and insured. Comes with spare parts 4runner. And more work I'm forgetting. Needs minor stuff to be perfect. Only selling because this rig just sits. $9000 obo
H8DWINGS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in