Ever been that tired? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 60661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
I have woke up just inches off the truck in front of me.
Driven from Dew Tx to the north side of Houston and wondered how I got there.
Road hypnosis is a real thing.

Funniest thing ever happened I was stopped at a rest area dead tired. I grabbed a pillow out of the sleeper, laid over the wheel to catch a nap because I had to "go again" in a bit. I guess the wind shook the truck, woke me up, thinking I was still driving, I was turning the steering wheel and stomping on the brakes trying to avoid the car parked in front of me. A family at the park bench was taking my panic attack. Of course, I took off after that.....
That exact thing would happen to me back when I drove truck . I don’t miss it one bit.
Ditchdigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 406202
About 3 years ago I finished a 12 hr shift in Manistee Michigan, showered, hooked up the tool trailer and drove to work in Biloxi Mississippi where I worked for 6 hrs before sleeping.

Never again! Those 40+ hr marathons are over, these days I'll stop to pee even if I don't need fuel.
FirstRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2019, 10:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 72617
Dead ass tired waiting two days for a SLBM launch. Fucking brand-X wouldn't leave us alone.
Old 02-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 39791
I drove from Sacramento area to San Clemente and back in a day...in a Land Cruiser. I was driving through Davis at night on the way back and went through an area with a bunch of trees and asked my wife, "Am I driving into the Bat Cave? Because it totally looks like the Bat Cave."

She said, "No, you're still on I-80 going through Davis."

I told her that I totally knew that, I have most of the major roads and highways memorized in detail between Central and NorCal, and I knew where I was and what it should look like, but it still totally looked like the Bat Cave if I kept driving straight.

She laughed and told me to keep driving straight. I think I ended up sleeping the entire next day and then some after getting home. The funny thing was that after I drove into the Bat Cave like my eyes were telling me, it just because normal road again. Crazy.

__
Old 02-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 44692
i know they say time travel / teleportation does not exist, but they are wrong. all it takes is being the right kind of tired on a drive and you can blink and be a few miles down the road. been there way more times than i should have. pillow and blanket are standard fare in the truck now. as soon as things start to get weird its time to find a spot to park it for 30 now.

amazing how even 15-20 mins will snap ya right back for a long time.
crimsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Fell asleep in the shower. Woke up with ice cold water. Had been in there long enough that the water heater ran out.

Was working 2 jobs years ago. 11pm-7am, and then 9am-2pm.

After a few months of that it got to me pretty hard.

Had a car up on one of the old school air operated lifts. The kind that had a big cylinder sunk in the floor and had arms that would go to the frame from that cylinder.

I was doing tires on the car and all of a sudden the car starts leaning off the lift. I'm hold the thing from falling so I yell for some help.
Yeah.... car wasn't falling at all.
Got pulled into the bosses office, thankfully I was a well liked worked cause I would have probably at the very least been sent off to do a piss test otherwise.
Still caught shit for that for months.

Was working 6PM-6AM for 2 weeks. Add in prep time, drive, etc it made it more like 4PM-7AM. Between the long night and having a hard time to get good sleep during the day it'll wear out a person for sure.

I woke up in the afternoon, it's freezing in the house and the dog is barking like crazy.

WTF... I'm in bed, but still in work clothes... boots, coat, the whole works.

I drove home fine I think. Least the car wasn't smashed up and it was parked in the driveway, but the house front door was wide open and it was about 10* outside.

Best I can figure is I got home, didn't bother with closing the door, put the dog out in the backyard and headed to bed.

Last edited by nate379; 02-07-2019 at 12:11 AM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 65706
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shark View Post
I drove from Sacramento area to San Clemente and back in a day...in a Land Cruiser.
I did the same thing in a FJ few years ago. Left OC, straight to bay area to pick up a super moto.. Spent 2 hours up there in traffic. Got back to Big Bear at 2am, to 3' fresh powder. Tried to unload the bike off the carrier, clutch frozen, then fell in the snow. Then had push it through 3+ feet on snow uphill, about 100' to my shed, with a stuck fucking clutch. That was about 4am. Was a 24 hour day, feel your pain.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:11 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 65706
And this is better..

Quote:
bullet ***SCM ALERT*** on Wednesday 06 February 2019 - 14:03:24
PER SCANNER SUBJECT WHO FLIPPED VAN SAYS ALIENS RESPONSIBLE FOR VAN ROLLOVER SR18 RED ROCK WALL
No shit, this came across the CHP scanner yesterday.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 92522
The plot thickens.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/new...d-been-2516935
jeeperanthony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 23880
I drove from Lebanon In. to Lexington Ky. and don't remember one mile of it Over 200 miles. I got home I told my wife I need to see a doctor for this. Turned out I have severe sleep apnea got set up with machine and feel like I am 30 years old again. Can drive all day and night now no problems.
lt1jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 144281
Happened to me one time. In my early 20s. Party all night, work all day, chase tail in between.

Driving home one night stone sober i must've blacked out and drove about 15miles. Its a road i still drive daily. I stopped at the stop sign at the end of the road and had no clue how i got there. I was on autopilot.

Freaked me out so much i didnt drive for 3 days after
wesfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #37 (permalink)
Take a Knee

Member # 44531
A fair amount of experience going without sleep for extended periods ...

At roughly 30 hours, I typically start to experience auditory hallucinations. At about 40 hours, the visual hallucinations start to kick in.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:01 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 612690
Used to fall asleep at stoplights after a 30h shift. Gets interesting when you take your foot of the brake and the clutch pedal slips out from underneath your other foot...
Dneel81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetick View Post
I have woke up just inches off the truck in front of me.
Driven from Dew Tx to the north side of Houston and wondered how I got there.
Road hypnosis is a real thing.

Funniest thing ever happened I was stopped at a rest area dead tired. I grabbed a pillow out of the sleeper, laid over the wheel to catch a nap because I had to "go again" in a bit. I guess the wind shook the truck, woke me up, thinking I was still driving, I was turning the steering wheel and stomping on the brakes trying to avoid the car parked in front of me. A family at the park bench was taking my panic attack. Of course, I took off after that.....
I'm dying reading this at work:laugh ing:
Old 02-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #40 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5587
Once fell asleep riding my motorcycle cross country about 3 am. Was pulling a 2 wheel trailer and when the trailers right wheel hit the drop off of the shoulder of the road it jerked the bike and woke me up. I swear I was sleeping so good up until then. NO clue how long I was asleep. Had the cruise control set for 75 and it was a straight boring back country road. I found a wide driveway ahead after that and pulled up in for a nap on the ground. Just outside of a town called Blossom Texas.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeehaaaaaaaa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
src="
border="0" alt="" title="flipoff2" class="inlineimg" />

Last edited by SSSRodeo; 02-08-2019 at 11:32 AM.
SSSRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #41 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
Many times but now I am really good about pulling off and sleeping. Several times I have been pulled off on the exit ramp and woke in a panic grabbing for the steering wheel having forgot that I pulled over.

A few of us from work were driving cross country to a convention, San Diego to Columbus Ohio, with no stopping just rotate drivers. My buddy damn near drove off the road and when I asked WTF he said he saw a waiter in a tux walking across the road with a full tray of food.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 101209
There was a study done that showed after 24 hours you're functioning at 0.06 almost legally drunk

When I was a kid, a teenager. I worked at a bowling alley, i was a barback, and porter working from 6 p.m. to close which is usually 4 in the morning fri and sat night. after working 8 hr shift friday morning. so friday was a 20hr day. sat was 10hrs then i would double back sun am at 0800 again..... so after going to bed at 4 in the morning I remember waking up at 6 and it was overcast and dark out and I was panicking cuz I was supposed to be at work at 6 p.m. I kept calling the business and nobody was picking up. I thought I was going to get fired thinking they were so busy that they couldn't answer the phone.

I was dead tired but I actually took a shower got the rest started heading out for work when I realized it was 6 in the morning

A Nation of sheep will beget a Government of wolves.[/COLOR]
Edward Murrow
DT75FLH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 164501
I'm the guy you want as your passenger. I don't want to wake up screaming.

Three days on the fireline and we're driving back at night. Firefighters in the backseat are passed out. I want to sleep so bad. I realize my driver is every bit as tired. Don't know what we talked about for two hours but there was no way I gonna let him nod off.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #44 (permalink)
What did you expect?

Member # 119290
Quote:
Originally Posted by HILAKE2 View Post
Several years ago some gal driving from Paradise to Chico "swerved to avoid an insect". Totalled it.
The insect?
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2019, 07:04 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSRodeo View Post
Once fell asleep riding my motorcycle cross country about 3 am. Was pulling a 2 wheel trailer and when the trailers right wheel hit the drop off of the shoulder of the road it jerked the bike and woke me up. I swear I was sleeping so good up until then. NO clue how long I was asleep. Had the cruise control set for 75 and it was a straight boring back country road. I found a wide driveway ahead after that and pulled up in for a nap on the ground. Just outside of a town called Blossom Texas.
Been there.

I left my house outside of Katy at 7am, rode upto my buddys house in Conroe, we rode like 150mi then went back to his house to get cleaned up to go out that night. Ended up meeting a gir who was with the band at one of the bars. My buddy and his wife left and I stayed with her. Ended up at someones house for more partying, then she dropped me off at almost 5am at my buddys, I hopped on my Harley and started riding 60mi home. Got about 3/4 of the way home and could barely keep my eyes open. Im on a long straight road with a sharp turn about a couple miles away. Next thing I know I feel mg my hand come off the throttle and I jerk awake less than a quarter mi from the turn. That was all I needed to scare myself awake for the last 15mi home. Rolled into driveway at like 7:08am.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:23 AM   #46 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20053
I was so tired driving once I thought I pulled over to sleep, I woke up to the cops shining a flashlight into my window while banging on the door. Turns out I was still driving down the highway speeding with the drivers side of the car up against the guardrail. It must have been a good spark show to see.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 726945
Got a phone call from may flat mate at 3am one morning asking if I could collect him from the strip club. I remember getting in the car and then waking up in town. Town was a 30min drive away along some pretty twisty roads. Gave me a hell of a shock, I've always been careful about driving when tired since.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 39791
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubelcon View Post
I did the same thing in a FJ few years ago. Left OC, straight to bay area to pick up a super moto.. Spent 2 hours up there in traffic. Got back to Big Bear at 2am, to 3' fresh powder. Tried to unload the bike off the carrier, clutch frozen, then fell in the snow. Then had push it through 3+ feet on snow uphill, about 100' to my shed, with a stuck fucking clutch. That was about 4am. Was a 24 hour day, feel your pain.
It was a tough drive. I've also done a Sacramento to Boise and back in an F-350 dually back when I-80 was still 70 and the drive through Eastern Oregon was 55 mph. I drove over Donner summit in light snow in the early morning, headed through Nevada and Eastern Oregon as the sun came up, picked up a boat, hit Carl's Jr. and saw a friend I hadn't seen in 20 years.

I hit the road within an hour of stopping for food and headed straight back to Sac, and I didn't exceed the speed limit the entire way there or back. It was a long day, but not nearly as long as that day headed to the OC and back.

All of that is still easier than dealing with a bike, deep snow, and stuck clutches though!

__

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in