If you lived alone, what would your ideal square footage home be? - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 05:00 AM   #101 (permalink)
Man Child

Member # 2175
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobil1syn View Post
id so something like this, flipping the master/bedrooms in the 1500ft range with a 3 car garage.
That's very similar to what I was thinking.
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 05:24 AM   #102 (permalink)
Rusted.

Member # 132785
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvanhelden View Post
I sure as shit wouldn’t want to live above my shop. Too many smells and gasses from working on shit. I’d like 20acres, 1500ft single story home. And 5,000ft shop about 150ft from the house.
^^ That.
Plus, eventually you get sick of stairs. My wife and I are going to be 45/43 this year and already are making plans for our next house with a focus on one level living. She has chronic pain issues and isn't a fan of stairs already, I can't imagine what it will be like for her in 5-10 years.

1400-1600 sqft/main level house depending on layout, with at least a 3 stall garage attached, and a minimum 40x50 detached shop. Put that combo on 10+ acres with a pond and I'm happy.
Tin Roof is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 07:02 AM   #103 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5587
Back over 33 years ago or so after my 1st wife divorced me I moved into my biggest rent house. It was about 1200 sqft. I was a single parent so it worked for us.

Then after my son grew up and moved out I bought a 37 foot RV. I kept it at the Companies RV park next to a Power Plant.
Kept my house in town and ate lunches there because it was near my office. And all our furniture was in it.

But I loved living in the 280 sqft or so Class A Camper. I lived there for 3 years that way. Made a deal with the Company that I did the upkeep on the park for free rent. Woke up every morning listening to the fish jump out if the water and ducks swimming by my camp spot. Peaceful during the week.

When M and I married I remodeled my rent house in town and sold it. Then we remodeled her home and sold it. Combined the profits and bought the place we live in now.

If I was single I'd be living in my RV full time again. We still travel in it whenever we want to go somewhere for more than 2 weeks.

And now that I'm retired, I'd be bouncing around the country chasing playgrounds flat towing my SSSRodeo and motorcycle on the rear carrier.
Something I always wished I could do when I was single and almost broke after the divorce from #1. Because I'm no longer broke!

You don't need much to live comfortable. Living in my bus was like living in a 1 bedroom efficiency apartment on wheels. I still hang out in it in the shop.

Don't limit your life by being tied down. Especially since your daughter doesn't live near you.
I know a lot of people who work from their RV's and travel a lot.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yeehaaaaaaaa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
src="
border="0" alt="" title="flipoff2" class="inlineimg" />
SSSRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 1234
My home would be on wheels
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2019, 07:27 AM   #105 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
My Dream Home!

Yeehaaaaaaaa
src="
border="0" alt="" title="flipoff2" class="inlineimg" />
SSSRodeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #106 (permalink)
Man Child

Member # 2175
I've considered RV life. My parents did it for 7 years when they retired before they settled down. A couple of things are keeping me from it. Having a place to tinker on cars is an important outlet for me. I also have always had big dogs and couldn't imagine a life without them. These two things keep from going the RV route.
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #107 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger Ranger View Post
We have a bit shorter version of that and neither my wife or I would care to "full time it" in a motor home. It's just too small. We do enjoy 1-2 week trips in it, but are happy when we come back to "home base".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priest View Post
I've considered RV life. My parents did it for 7 years when they retired before they settled down. A couple of things are keeping me from it. Having a place to tinker on cars is an important outlet for me. I also have always had big dogs and couldn't imagine a life without them. These two things keep from going the RV route.
Both of these. No place to work on a car/Jeep and not practical for our 6 dogs.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.

Last edited by SanDiegoCJ; 02-12-2019 at 07:42 AM.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #108 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Well I want to travel... I've been to 5 other fucking states. I'd much rather Mountain Bike than wheel these days anyhow. I could totally go for living and working somewhere for 6 months or so, take the money and travel until I run out again... repeat.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 118010
Just me...….I could live in the slide in camper on my crawler hauler as long as it was parked in a well appointed 60 x 70 shop and I had a laundry room and proper bathroom.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 9095
Send a message via AIM to 44Runner
It all depends. For me I would need a room for my pool table or a living room big enough to house it and a traditional living room so that is going to bump up the square footage of the house significantly.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:11 AM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 81613
people with no basements have no idea how much space they save or add for bonus space. all utilities can reside there and routing wire, pipes and ducts can all be done.
It double the square footage for "free".

Provides junk storage, laundry room reloading room , I do have issues dragging laundry down steps then back up every week but beats doing it in the kitchen , garage or back porch.

I would say for a single about 800-1000sq ft 1 bedroom 1 bath kitchen living room open.
build garage close as possible, mine is 300ft away after a few trips for project the UTV comes out.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #112 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 5851
Send a message via AIM to KacksterK5
I have 2100 in the house. 4bd, 2.5 bath. 28x24 attached garage. It's too much house but it's the norm for the area and I got a good deal on it. If I sell I can downsize but will have to travel farther to get the same amount of land and a smaller house/ bigger shop. I'll stay and watch my equity increase.

86 4Raisin A bunch of stuff under it

02 Chevy 2500 HD Tow Rig
KacksterK5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #113 (permalink)

Member # 210335
A round house built with 6-8" ICF, heated by a real wood stove (aka not pellet or EPA), probably soap stone, with a triple ss factory chimney, run up inside a real stone fireplace, open from both sides, inside a centrally located living room of 20x20 on the north side.

A kitchen of 20x12 between the living room and south side room

A south side room of glass (basically a glass covered rear porch) suitable to double as a green house 20x12.

An east side bed room of 20x12 with bathroom.

A west side bed room of 20x12 with bathroom.

A connected round dome garage, (on the bedroom side you will use) of ICF with a real wood stove of 36 feet diameter with two bays with an overall height of 20 feet. Include a bathroom and 70a 230v.

A bathroom off the living on the farthest end of the living room.

South side of house and roof can have both solar power and passive water heating.

A septic system and leech field big enough for 20 people.

A well and a HVAC based on a heat pump.

200a main service.

House at least 300 feet from the street and neighbors on all sides.

The ability to seal a room completely off in the case of a fire or lack of heat.

A full basement, below ground level, that is tornado proof, and concrete on all six sides, that is able to store at least two full cords of firewood where you can easily back in a trailer of wood. Have an elevator or dolly to bring it up close to the fireplace in sealed buckets to keep the bugs at a minimum.

The basement should have a good dehumidifier run off solar to help dry wood and keep it that way.

You should collect as much rainwater as possible and use it for at least all the toilets, especially if you are on city water so you do not get socked for both water and sewerage charges. It would serve well for a garden or lawns. I would still get a well dug and would probably put the house over it.

All the plumbing should run down the middle of the house (and to the garage) as much as possible to keep it from freezing. With ICF, wood stoves, heat pumps, and solar, you should be able to keep electric costs to $100 per month maximum, with no oil or gas costs. Burning waste oil in the garage would make sense if you can get some free veggie oil. I know here in GA on CL they give away free oil from diesel truck LOFs.

My house is fairly big and leaky and even charging my wife's hybrid every day and night, my electric is only $120 or so per month. I burn about 5-6 cords per year firewood, most of it pine. I sell the oak both green and seasoned. I would probably burn less firewood if I used only oak.

A house like the above would always have appeal because of the layout, being fairly off the grid, and with electric and plumbing to the garage someone could always turn it into a MIL apartment.

A 20x12 bedroom could always be turned into (2) 10x12 if you wanted to go to 3 bedrooms later. I would concentrate on having an open long fabulous kitchen (with a bar) because that would sell the house to the lady and then the garage to the gentleman looking to buy the house if you decide to sell.

I assume being on pirate you are handy so for the kitchen I would go stainless steel backsplashes or tile you install yourself and polished concrete counter tops and avoid paying for the granite, which easily stains and is very expensive.

Even if you do not use them, make sure you provide space for a big ss oven, do install a convection stove top. Make sure you buy a wood stove you can cook on and boil water on, with a glass front that provides ambience and light. I never have regretted have mine.
4x4prepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 04:52 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 119189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
800-1000 sq ft with full basement is where I'd start to be happily content.

I live in less than that now and it's not quite enough for my wants.
Who the hell wants to walk up a set of stairs when they are 70?
50x80 shop, 16' walls, at least 1, 2 post lift.

House 1100sqft, 10 foot ceilings, large 12x14 master bath, large 14x16 master bedroom, large 24x12 family room, small kitchen, 2 sinks, walk in shower, and a separate tub. 1 bedroom, I dont need a sales pitch for some breeders with whelps...where a 4000+ sqft shop will sell itself.
astjp2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 04:59 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 79536
I'd say somewhere in the 1200 to 1800 sq ft range with a 2 car attached garage and a 40 by 60 foot shop. I wouldn't need it but I'd probably build it with a RV door at one end for the guy that buys it after I croak.

Last edited by desert_rat; 02-12-2019 at 05:00 PM.
desert_rat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #116 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 278
I like my old house layout at 700 square feet:
2 bedroom, one bath.

One bedroom as a 'master', the other room as an office.
The living room split the two rooms.
The bathroom was closer to the office.
The kitchen was right next to the office on the small size.
Front door came at the 'corners' of the kitchen, bathroom, and office.

It had a detached 1.5 car garage with laundry in it.

If it had land for the 5000 square foot garage/shop, I'd still be there.

I'm anti-social so not having a 'guest' bedroom isn't a big deal.

My new place is just a little too big for just me. It is two story 1800 square feet: 3 bedroom(master/office/guest) and 2 bathroom(between master/office upstairs, next to guest) Kitchen is a bit bigger as is the living room(14x24) It also has a full basement accessible from outside(13x44)

-1972 FJ55(aka Trail50): Turbo 5.3L-4L80-Blackbox-split case, D60s, ARB'd *stalled*
-1968 Mustang Fastback: not a restore but a refresh
Lil'John is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 07:36 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 117207
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Yea, but the type of chicks that would double up on a dude like me would not really be the type of chicks that would be bothered by a router table.

That appears to be an easy fix here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by santa V2.0 View Post
LOL. I change my planer knives regularly, and my shop is almost exclusively festool and Jet
Expensive, but easy. It also seems like a good mix of the eurotrash and chineseium. Diversity is really important.
petro812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #118 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Roof View Post
^^ That.
Plus, eventually you get sick of stairs. My wife and I are going to be 45/43 this year and already are making plans for our next house with a focus on one level living. She has chronic pain issues and isn't a fan of stairs already, I can't imagine what it will be like for her in 5-10 years.

1400-1600 sqft/main level house depending on layout, with at least a 3 stall garage attached, and a minimum 40x50 detached shop. Put that combo on 10+ acres with a pond and I'm happy.
When I was a kid my Dad moved the washer and dryer into the basement. My Mom swore up and down it would be fine down there... Need the exercise, made more room, less noise in the house, etc, etc, etc.

The washroom (what you English call a laundry room? I think) got turned into a 2nd entrance into the house and a big closet.
Dad left the plumbing in place though and made the closet deep enough to fit a washer and dryer.

Well....

~20 years later and the washer and dryer are back upstairs. My Dad got tired of the moaning about the stairs. Was either move them or he do the wash

I have to say the "backwards" houses (kitchen and living room is upstairs) which seemed to be all the rage around these parts in the 90s-2000s are fawking STUPID.

No idea why it ever became popular. Let's put the most used rooms up a flight of stairs and the least used rooms near the entrance.

Last edited by nate379; 02-12-2019 at 09:36 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in