9-5? Please........ - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 184924
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWT View Post
I've never had a 9-5 type job but I'm looking for one now. Worked on farms most of my life and then got my cdl 13 years ago and the hours went from scheduled to full random. Not sure how I'd act if I didn't put in 40 hours by Wednesday but I'm looking forward to finding out.
My last job before this one driving a truck i worked between 75 to 80 hours a week. I now work 9:30 to 6:30 with an hr lunch tuesday through saturday. You'll fucking love it.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:06 AM   #27 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
I try to work as few hours as possible and hopefully that means 40 or less. But when I'm "needed" I'll work as much as I have to. Usually its once a year that I'll have a week or two of 14-18 hr days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 29037
When I ran my own business, my day could start at 4 am and end at 10 Pm.
Grandpa always said a farmers day starts at sunrise and ends at sunset. One of my cousins added then you turn on the lights of the tractor and work till the job is finished
Old 02-11-2019, 07:16 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 1234
I used to work a lot of overtime when I worked for Civil Engineers. Seems they can't plan ahead well enough to meet deadlines. Since I've been Land Surveying only the last 14 years, I've worked very little overtime. I'm still hourly and my bill out rate is insane on overtime Also 2+ hours of my day is spent commuting and my kids are in 6th/9th grade... lots of activities and I don't want to work more than 40 a week anymore.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 34865
I work 6:30 to 2:30 Monday thru Friday I知 salaried, so I知 not giving them one minute of free time. Did that for years and not one person noticed or cared. Before this job I worked rotating shift work for 13 years. Christmas every year at work. Thanksgiving every years at work. Missed every damn thing my kids did practically growing up. I don稚 miss that one damn bit. Life is short! Live as much of it as you can, not at work!
Old 02-11-2019, 07:17 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 141714
Fire department, I work 24/48s with a Kelly day every 3rd week. Before that I worked EMS doing 12hr shifts from 7p-7a. Short week was 36 hours, long week was 48, maxed at 72hrs a week if you worked OT. I have really only ever worked 1 job with a "normal" schedule when I I worked at a factory. I believe we started at 7 and got off at 4. There were times in the military I worked office hours but more times than not I was on some sort of 24/24 schedule

Last edited by Fredy_C; 02-11-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Fredy_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 07:25 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 96278
I guess I misread the thread title. I thought you were politely asking for a Saab.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 53743
In my experience - farmers work long hours 2 months a year. And short hours the rest. Most I know have second jobs. But it depends heavily on the crop. Crops like corn, wheat, alfalfa, etc. take very little work between planting and harvest and no work through the winters. There's a reason the farmers have a dedicated table at the cafe in most towns. It's because they're the only people with enough free time on a daily basis to spend a few hours at the cafe. Except millennials - they go to Starbucks and sit alone with their laptop pretending they're busy doing something worthwhile. Other crops take a lot more labor I'm sure. Farming in California looks a lot different from Farming in Iowa I'm sure.

Ranchers on the other hand - ranchers work long hours year round in all weather. Livestock is a never-ending job. Of course the two are often combined. But my family has about 2,000 acres of corn farm in Iowa - and I know how pure farming looks for them. 16hr days for a couple weeks in the spring and fall. 4hr days the rest of the year. And with today's tech - the GPS autopilot driven equipment in air suspended A/C cabs - it's getting a lot more comfortable too.

Last edited by jetboy; 02-11-2019 at 07:49 AM.
jetboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 54654
I've been Surveying for 25 years myself, with a pair of 12 month breaks to drive commercially (I keep a CDL as a backup).

We used to have a open OT policy pre building recession. There was always something that needed done if you wanted to work on a Saturday. I used that to get down payments on two properties, and start retirement savings.

We were primarily residential construction stakeout, all civil work tied to new developments.

Post recession it's been feast or famine for work, both times I went trucking I was fed up with the construction biz, slow contracts, and me being the breadwinner, trying to keep the lights on.

My 1st trucking gig was LTL freight, hourly, no OT, but straight time, usually 60+ hours.

Ok gig, but started late in the morning, meant getting home late at night. I hated the schedule after Surveying so long.

My 2nd trucking job was regional tanker, maxed the DOT hours regularly, and was off the clock loading and washing the tank at the manufacturer daily. Great paying gig, earlier hours than the other driving gig, but I was gone no less than 6 days, often or 3 weeks.

I'm back Surveying again, it's a touch slow, some of it the season, some of it being I'm at a small firm.

I miss the 8 hour days, occasionally 9 or 10, on crew of 2 or 3, and the Saturdays for a few extra bucks.

I'm looking at going to a large firm, running 14 crews at the one office closest to me.

It's a hustle, I'm 44, it's not getting any easier, but the recession really hurt us, using the afformentioned schedule, I can build back a big chunk of retirement if I can tuff it out for a bit.

I don't know how/why those of you grinding 80-120 a week stay with it. I see you typed responses, but really.

I've done it, other than the financial gain, I see no point.

There's more to life.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
blthomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Just heard a report on the radio that the Univeristy of Hong kong just published a report stating if you get less than 7 hours a of sleep a day you can damamge your DNA.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigun View Post
Just heard a report on the radio that the Univeristy of Hong kong just published a report stating if you get less than 7 hours a of sleep a day you can damamge your DNA.
rectum?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by blthomas View Post
I've been Surveying for 25 years myself, with a pair of 12 month breaks to drive commercially (I keep a CDL as a backup).

We used to have a open OT policy pre building recession. There was always something that needed done if you wanted to work on a Saturday. I used that to get down payments on two properties, and start retirement savings.

We were primarily residential construction stakeout, all civil work tied to new developments.

Post recession it's been feast or famine for work, both times I went trucking I was fed up with the construction biz, slow contracts, and me being the breadwinner, trying to keep the lights on.

My 1st trucking gig was LTL freight, hourly, no OT, but straight time, usually 60+ hours.

Ok gig, but started late in the morning, meant getting home late at night. I hated the schedule after Surveying so long.

My 2nd trucking job was regional tanker, maxed the DOT hours regularly, and was off the clock loading and washing the tank at the manufacturer daily. Great paying gig, earlier hours than the other driving gig, but I was gone no less than 6 days, often or 3 weeks.

I'm back Surveying again, it's a touch slow, some of it the season, some of it being I'm at a small firm.

I miss the 8 hour days, occasionally 9 or 10, on crew of 2 or 3, and the Saturdays for a few extra bucks.

I'm looking at going to a large firm, running 14 crews at the one office closest to me.

It's a hustle, I'm 44, it's not getting any easier, but the recession really hurt us, using the afformentioned schedule, I can build back a big chunk of retirement if I can tuff it out for a bit.

I don't know how/why those of you grinding 80-120 a week stay with it. I see you typed responses, but really.

I've done it, other than the financial gain, I see no point.

There's more to life.

Gonna be 42 this year and I started working at a Civil Engineering/Surveying firm when I was 15 in High School... I feel ya been one hell of a roller coaster ride
Old 02-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 29037
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5.5 View Post
I guess I misread the thread title. I thought you were politely asking for a Saab.
LOL When I first saw it there was one talking about Dolly Parton above it I thought this was going tobe about a remake of the movie
Old 02-11-2019, 08:12 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 54654
I started at 17 myself. Love it somedays, other days, meh lol.

blthomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 369978
At present time I work 430am to 1pm - 30 minute lunch. Like it and having remainder of the day to run errands, avoid crowds etc.
I have done a ton different schedules over the years that more or less encompasses all.
Been on the salary and putting in extra hours for comped days off or nothing.
Much prefer hourly where I bill the company for anything over 40.
If I decide to work over 40 it is usually for my own benefit - as in money for whatever I am after / or to pad my savings.

Over the last couple months I put in some crazy hours, work was paying double time for the same job (staffing shortages / increased work volume) - it has allowed me to buy new suspension bits for the fun car, and a new to me 2012 Ninja 650.
Now waiting for some nice weather so I can enjoy fruits of my labor.

No company gives a shit if I were to fall sick / disabled - so all this talk of 80hrs minimum and what not to each their own - I say fuck that, live when alive.

What is the point of being all worn out and cannot spend a dime cause you are constantly in pain/sick or worse.
Gtrplyr78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 85483
For 15 years I worked as draftsman/project engineer/project manger which had me on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week and 70+ hour weeks were common. It was not uncommon to cut vacation and short and get back to the plant.

After I got out of that I realized I actually enjoy having a life and spending time with my wife and family. So today its 7:30 to 4 five days a week.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:08 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 96503
My schedule is wide open and I don稚 know my start time until the day before. Example: I知 at work today. I値l get a message sometime between 2-3pm telling me my start time for tomorrow. Could be anytime from midnight tonight up to about 7am. And I have no idea what time I値l get off. Here until the works done. Most weeks I値l come in between 12-2am a couple times, and 4-7am the rest of the week. I can work up to a 16 hour day, but can稚 go over 60 hrs in a week, and no Sunday work.

It痴 not for everybody, but I enjoy it. I came from a mon-fri, 6am-2:30pm job to this one.
Bandit02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in