Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit-Chat (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   DD/Work car advice (https://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2677064)

ky scrambled 02-12-2019 05:31 AM

DD/Work car advice
 
I need something different. My 265K XJ aint cutting it anymore. Below are my concerns. Tell me what I need :flipoff2:

70 miles round trip
3 kids (6,4, and 1.5) . Car seats are HUGE!
Cheap-ish
20+ MPG
I like wagons, donít mind vans.
I want to pay cash. 5-7 grand.

[email protected] 02-12-2019 05:42 AM

crew cab gmt900

edit: what don't you like about the XJ? What about finding a new(er) one?

jeeptj19992001 02-12-2019 05:45 AM

k car wagon

Bones 02-12-2019 05:48 AM

Any wagon of age up there will be shot I would imagine.

ky scrambled 02-12-2019 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 44315556)
crew cab gmt900

edit: what don't you like about the XJ? What about finding a new(er) one?

15mpg, 265K, needs evaporator, 3 car seats DO NOT FIT without me busting my knuckles.

I have 4 Jeeps currently. I have always driven a Jeep of some sort for the past 22 years. Id like a car/wagon/van. Im not getting rid of it just done driving it everyday.


Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeptj19992001 (Post 44315562)
k car wagon

Ill take two. Seriously.

ky scrambled 02-12-2019 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones (Post 44315566)
Any wagon of age up there will be shot I would imagine.

You are correct.

Im willing to travel. I have friends/family in Kentucky. Id be willing to fly and drive.

Action Fab 02-12-2019 06:19 AM

Prius.

Not joking.

ky scrambled 02-12-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Action Fab (Post 44315596)
Prius.

Not joking.

I can put three car seats in the back of a Prius?

Bones 02-12-2019 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ky scrambled (Post 44315588)
You are correct.

Im willing to travel. I have friends/family in Kentucky. Id be willing to fly and drive.

An Autdi/VW (passat platform) I doubt is any larger than an XJ, but they can be found AWD. Good domestic wagons stopped being made in what the early 90's so you are talking old clapped out shit for certain. Sucks because growing up that is all we had and they are very practical.

arse_sidewards 02-12-2019 06:45 AM

Clearance the car seats. :laughing:

aczlan 02-12-2019 06:53 AM

Change the car seats to something that fits 3 across? See: https://www.babycenter.com/609_37-ca...or_20001028.bc
I have a Ford Taurus X and like it, 3 rows is nice. You can fit 3 car seats, or 3 adults in the 2nd row. Two friendly adults fit fairly well in the 3rd row (my oldest likes it as then they have their own seat and the younger two share the 2nd row).
I also looked at the Volvo XC90, Acadia (and the Chevrolet variant), Highlander, Pilot, Santa Fe, Veracruz, etc but found this one for under $2000 (had high miles, needed a clockspring, brakes and an exhaust flex joint).

Aaron Z

Powerwagon99 02-12-2019 06:58 AM

I have an xj with 2 car seats in the back. My work car is a pontiac vibe and the back seat seems larger than the Cherokee, especially with car seats in it. Vibes/matrix are pretty cheap, get decent mpg, and they also made awd ones. Prius would be decent choice as well.

3 car seats in anything but something full size or a van is going to be tight.

thumping 02-12-2019 07:03 AM

Kia Sorento

KDXSR5 02-12-2019 07:03 AM

The newest Honda or Toyota minivan you can afford.

ky scrambled 02-12-2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aczlan (Post 44315636)
Change the car seats to something that fits 3 across? See: https://www.babycenter.com/609_37-ca...or_20001028.bc
I have a Ford Taurus X and like it, 3 rows is nice. You can fit 3 car seats, or 3 adults in the 2nd row. Two friendly adults fit fairly well in the 3rd row (my oldest likes it as then they have their own seat and the younger two share the 2nd row).
I also looked at the Volvo XC90, Acadia (and the Chevrolet variant), Highlander, Pilot, Santa Fe, Veracruz, etc but found this one for under $2000 (had high miles, needed a clockspring, brakes and an exhaust flex joint).

Aaron Z



From that link
"Maybe you have a compact car thatís just 48 inches wide."



1997 XJ
Second Hip Room (in) 44.3





:laughing::laughing:

ky scrambled 02-12-2019 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arse_sidewards (Post 44315622)
Clearance the car seats. :laughing:

Dont think I havent thought about it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerwagon99 (Post 44315642)

3 car seats in anything but something full size or a van is going to be tight.

I think you are right

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumping (Post 44315652)
Kia Sorento

I dont mind Kia's.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDXSR5 (Post 44315654)
The newest Honda or Toyota minivan you can afford.

They that much better than a Caravan or Town and Country? I like the looks of the Mazda MPV too.

Danger Ranger 02-12-2019 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDXSR5 (Post 44315654)
The newest Honda or Toyota minivan you can afford.

This.

Also :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Shoulda' stopped at 2 kids :flipoff2:

Juztyn00 02-12-2019 07:18 AM


demonranger 02-12-2019 07:27 AM

I have a NMS Passat ('13+) and it would fit the bill for what you're looking for with regard to the carseats. I have a '15 TDI variant, the latest turbocharged 4 cylinders are offering close to the diesel fuel economy without the fuel price premium I'm paying here in FL. Sedans are not moving fast and for 20k you can get some models out the door at a dealership new for that price. If you want to take a trip to the warmer south you can get a 3-5 year old car without rust for much less.

'15 NMS Passat 55k miles 12k

'06 4 motion 9k this is the older model so it is a bit narrower and closer to the current model Jetta in rear seat sizing.

I (6' tall) can sit in front of my son in his rearward facing carseat (britax boulevard G4.1) reasonably comfortably I'd like the seat back another inch but it is within tolerances even for long distance road trips. My daughter is in a booster behind the driver, there is room for a 3rd carseat in the middle, but as has been pointed out above 3wide is heavily dependent upon what carseats you have. the 6YO should be in a booster some of these are stupid wide with cup holders etc.

ky scrambled 02-12-2019 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danger Ranger (Post 44315680)
This.

Also :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Shoulda' stopped at 2 kids :flipoff2:

Wife wanted a girl. She got a 3rd boy :laughing:


I got my "Snipping" appointment set for March 5th.

45acp 02-12-2019 07:27 AM

I have no suggestions, I just heard someone bitching about child carseats and that's pretty much my bat signal. Hate em. Although not quite as much once the kids are old enough to turn around front facing.

KDXSR5 02-12-2019 07:29 AM

I drove Dodge minivans as work vehicles for several years, and cannot recommend anyone buy a Dodge/Chrysler minivan. They are cheap, and that is about all they have going for them. My folks even had one start on fire from a wiring harness issue in the rear of the van. As work vehicles, we dumped them at 150k miles, and they were pretty hammered by that point. The transmissions are not the best.

Toyota and Honda make better cars than their domestic counterparts. My folks now have a Toyota Sienna that has been a solid vehicle. I have heard nothing but good things about the Honda Odyssey, but don't have one in the family. Generally, the Odyssey is considered the best of the minivans through my past research.

Used minivans are also pretty cheap for the utility they provide and are built specifically to haul families around. They get 20+ mpg. When not hauling kids, the seats can be taken out/folded into the floor and you have more enclosed cargo room than a small truck with a shell would provide. Seems pretty good to me for your criteria.

korda 02-12-2019 07:31 AM

I just bought one of these to swap in the scout/Jeep. Supposedly designed to fit 3 wide in a small car. Probably cheaper to buy a new car than 3 of them though.

https://us.diono.com/product/radian-3-rxt/

ky scrambled 02-12-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonranger (Post 44315706)
I have a NMS Passat ('13+) and it would fit the bill for what you're looking for with regard to the carseats. I have a '15 TDI variant, the latest turbocharged 4 cylinders are offering close to the diesel fuel economy without the fuel price premium I'm paying here in FL. Sedans are not moving fast and for 20k you can get some models out the door at a dealership new for that price. If you want to take a trip to the warmer south you can get a 3-5 year old car without rust for much less.

'15 NMS Passat 55k miles 12k

'06 4 motion 9k this is the older model so it is a bit narrower and closer to the current model Jetta in rear seat sizing.

I (6' tall) can sit in front of my son in his rearward facing carseat (britax boulevard G4.1) reasonably comfortably I'd like the seat back another inch but it is within tolerances even for long distance road trips. My daughter is in a booster behind the driver, there is room for a 3rd carseat in the middle, but as has been pointed out above 3wide is heavily dependent upon what carseats you have. the 6YO should be in a booster some of these are stupid wide with cup holders etc.



6yo is in a booster. Skinniest one we could find, no cup holders. 4yo is tall and heavy enough to be in a high back booster, again with no cup holders. 1.5yo (runt) is just out of his infant seat and into a new rear facing. Not sure the brand but it was for compact cars. Still no room.

No sure i wanna buy anything German. I like my problems like I like my cheese, American!

Elvis38 02-12-2019 07:39 AM

Friend told me that certain minivans are targeted by insurance companies and charged accordingly. Not sure if it's true or not, but food for thought.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.