River water to drinking water for RV - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 57170
River water to drinking water for RV

Cheaper, smarter or better ways?

I'm trying to keep it KISS and cheap.

Looking to fill my RV with river water and make it safe and palatable. Pump is not an issue, already there to water the grass. The water is nice enough, if I filled your drink with it you probably wouldn't notice, till you died from dysentery.

Actual purification will be sodium hypochlorite aka bleach.

Thinking about running 2 of these housings with 1 micron carbon, then a .5 micron filter. Strictly for taste and sediment. Actual sediment should be minimal, pulling off the end of a dock.

https://smile.amazon.com/Package-150...-1-spons&psc=1

Tank is 46 gallons, probably have to fill every 2-3 weeks. Wait till it gets low, drain the tank and refill.

Add the appropriate amount of bleach, wait, and boom no one . Should be into it less than $200, and I can toss the filters @ the end of the season and start new every summer.

Would be cool if there was a way to add the bleach in line to ensure equal distribution. I failed chemistry, don't know if that's needed. It may "self distribute", what's the word?

Any changes? Different Filters, add a 3rd, etc.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 152210
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEREvince View Post

I'm trying to keep it KISS and cheap.

Looking to fill my RV with river water and make it safe and palatable. Pump is not an issue, already there to water the grass. The water is nice enough, if I filled your drink with it you probably wouldn't notice, till you died from dysentery.

Actual purification will be sodium hypochlorite aka bleach.

Thinking about running 2 of these housings with 1 micron carbon, then a .5 micron filter. Strictly for taste and sediment. Actual sediment should be minimal, pulling off the end of a dock.

https://smile.amazon.com/Package-150...-1-spons&psc=1

Tank is 46 gallons, probably have to fill every 2-3 weeks. Wait till it gets low, drain the tank and refill.

Add the appropriate amount of bleach, wait, and boom no one . Should be into it less than $200, and I can toss the filters @ the end of the season and start new every summer.

Would be cool if there was a way to add the bleach in line to ensure equal distribution. I failed chemistry, don't know if that's needed. It may "self distribute", what's the word?

Any changes? Different Filters, add a 3rd, etc.

this dude improves on that a bit... I think if you introduce the bleach into the empty tank each time (or nearly empty) the chlorine will diffuse on its own effectively.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 4387
When we told you to drink bleach, you know we were kidding right???

I would probably run it through a carbon filter for a house, then uv it with something like this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vitapur-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 86724
you don't have to add the bleach as you fill the tank. just measure out how much you need and mix it with a gallon of water, dump it into tank. You just have to wait an hour or two for it to naturally disperse in the water.

https://cals.arizona.edu/region9wq/p...mentmanual.pdf
Old 02-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
thhhpptthh!

Member # 10798
Send a message via AIM to sceep Send a message via MSN to sceep
Obligatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by USDA forest service website
It is every American's birthright to use the national forests and grasslands in multiple ways, including outdoor recreation in all its forms.
sceep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 06:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 102421
This would be more better:

https://www.amazon.com/Ultraviolet-P...29952286&psc=1

Put this in after the sediment filtration. Id use a sediment filter, then charcoal, then UV light
Old 02-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 4176
Why filter and make all the water drinkable if 90% of it is going down the toilet or sink? Add a small Reverse Osmosis setup next to the sink and only fill your drinking water from it.
StoopidMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 152210
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoopidMonkey View Post
Why filter and make all the water drinkable if 90% of it is going down the toilet or sink? Add a small Reverse Osmosis setup next to the sink and only fill your drinking water from it.
I think you'd come to regret it. All the crudola that you'll pull into your water system will destroy it pretty quickly and when you are in a situation (like selling it) or going to a regular campground, your system will be compromised. Why not keep it nice and fully functional as long as you can...
Old 02-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2.jd View Post

Put this in after the sediment filtration. Id use a sediment filter, then charcoal, then UV light
That's not KISS
BossBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 4387
1 micron filter (real 1 micron rated) and uv should remove anything that will make you sick. $250-$300 for a system that big isn’t bad. Unless you like drinking chlorine. I’m sure you can get a up system cheaper than the fancy one I posted.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 08:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZebodK6DKsQ

this dude improves on that a bit... I think if you introduce the bleach into the empty tank each time (or nearly empty) the chlorine will diffuse on its own effectively.
That guy is interesting. He's using potable water. I bet he was just getting hard water deposits in his shitty RV shower head. He would also still die of dysentery, since that system does nothing to purify the water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2.jd View Post

I thought of building UV into the system and filtering after the pump so any water on the property was safe to drink, but both are a huge waste. I want something robust and simple. IF we eventually build a cabin, I'll revisit the UV. Having a permanent weather tight spot to mount it is a factor.

If I decide that chlorine taste is a issue, I'll add a carbon filter @ the kitchen sink. It has been my experience that if you properly measure the bleach and allow it to off gas the taste is fine.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 117207
Location: I walk with Crom, searching for clues at the scene of the crime..
Quote:

I'm trying to keep it KISS and cheap. ...
There was a metric shit load of videos by Matt Foley... but google hates self reliance.
petro812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Big cookpot from the Costco, stick on propane burner. Boil. Pour into tank.

KISS.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/bac...SABEgK-svD_BwE

Or buy a few cases of water bottles. 45 gallons in 2 weeks, that doesn't even make sense. Drinking a gallon a day is alot even!

Last edited by nate379; 02-12-2019 at 09:27 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
UV

Don't bother with Carbon

Carbon is for taste and order created by CL2

UV will kill the Bacteria that will kill you

CL2 can create Trihalomethanes

THAT...will ultimately kill you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger

Last edited by lil,yota; 02-12-2019 at 10:18 PM.
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
D-3

T-2

Incase you're curious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 15473
Send a message via AIM to bobbywalter
1 micron absolute.

and UV.....some ozone critter thing to round it out.

1000 bux to drink river water safely seems cost effective to me.

88 ranger ext cab p.o.s. hackjob powered by a 6.5 diesel clattering against a 4l80 thats punishing a f208 that is turning ford 60's rolling on 33-44 inch tires depending on the mission at hand

how ya like me now??
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 05:47 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Dood Abides.

Member # 42790
Because you want to use untreated surface water, you definitely want filters to remove things such as cryptosporidium and giardia. After filtration, you want disinfection, and using bleach is fine.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:59 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 70148
This makes me want to find out where OP's treatment plant is drawing from and piss off the dock just upstream.

Is a well not practical?
5 gallon jugs filled from home for drinking and use the river water for everything else not practical?

larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 07:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro812 View Post
There was a metric shit load of videos by Matt Foley... but google hates self reliance.
The guy that lived in a van down by the river? He's dead, not sure if I'd trust his advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil,yota View Post
UV

Don't bother with Carbon

Carbon is for taste and order created by CL2

UV will kill the Bacteria that will kill you

CL2 can create Trihalomethanes

THAT...will ultimately kill you
Seriously sounds like some tinfoil hat shit? Don't municipal water treatment facilities use chlorine?

Is it going to take more than 100 years to kill me? Consider my house is on a well, and I'm only using the treated water 3-4 months a year and then rarely for drinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This makes me want to find out where OP's treatment plant is drawing from and piss off the dock just upstream.

Is a well not practical?
5 gallon jugs filled from home for drinking and use the river water for everything else not practical?
Piss away, urine is sterile, hopefully just like you. Yeah, digging a well or hauling 400lbs of water is way simpler than adding some bleach to my tank. Please read your post out loud to yourself before posting.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:36 AM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 9307

Old 02-13-2019, 08:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 693993
There's a thread here by a guy driving around Africa in his Jeep. He put a filtration/UV system for his water tank in his Jeep. Here it is:

DIY 4x4 Drinking Water Tank, Pump, Filter and Treat | The Road Chose Me
giddyap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 09:38 AM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 57170
Quote:
Originally Posted by giddyap View Post
There's a thread here by a guy driving around Africa in his Jeep. He put a filtration/UV system for his water tank in his Jeep. Here it is:

DIY 4x4 Drinking Water Tank, Pump, Filter and Treat | The Road Chose Me
Thanks

That is actually pretty dope. 1 gpm is slow, but workable. Could likely mount it permanently in RV tank area.

I wasn't clear on this, but until now 100% of this water is going down the drain. We are VERY frugal with water and use bottled for drinking, coffee, and cooking. Showers are rare, we are "camping" and swimming is good enough to rinse the sweat and grime. We use a private porta potty that is serviced weekly. The fam does use the RV toilet @ night if needed. Hauling a case of water for a weekend is no big deal. It's convenient, but wasteful.

We are spending more and more time there and I want to eliminate the bottled water for anything except drinking. I'd be happy if I could make my damn coffee with water from the tap, wash my hands, cleaning, etc.

This seems like a pretty simple solution. I looked @ the UV an discarded it, since I wanted something that didn't require power. After some more thought, I think I may see if there is space to plumb and wire UV in the RV before the tank, and then mount the primary filters @ the spigot. This gives me some added peace of mind anywhere I go. I can simple use a RV inline filter for sediment/ taste on the road.

Looking to see if I can find the inline 12gpm versions that are native 12v to make it simple.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 7412
I buy water from town for my place in Colorado. it reeks of bleach, but we just use it for showers and cleaning. but every time we fill up I think damn that's strong.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 196365
Quote:
Thanks

That is actually pretty dope. 1 gpm is slow, but workable. Could likely mount it permanently in RV tank area.
Thanks, I'm the guy, I got a notification about this thread.

The reason I wanted the filter & UV lamp before the tank was to make sure no nasties would grow in there over time. After almost three years in Africa, nothing has, so I'm really happy with that.

I've changed the filter 3 or 4 times now, other than that, the system has never needed even looking at, and I use it 10 times per day, at least.

Fire away if you have any questions.

-Dan
Grecy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 64554
Health dept regs in all 50 states require a remnant of chlorine at the end of distribution. That means if you are close to the distribution, you will have a max dose still in there.

The chlorine does not create THMs/THCs. The reaction of chlorine and carbon based materials creates those. The amount of those in your water depend on the limiting reagent in the reaction. Take out all the carbon based things in your water before you chlorinate and the THMs/THCs will be so minimal as to not be a concern. They are a problem for municipalities because they treat with CL2 first to keep their equipment from growing algae during treatment, so they have a ton of carbon based floaties on initial CL2 treatment.

In your case, filter first so minimal floaties. There are other taste/odor issues likely in the river the carbon filter will help with. I'd still use it even though you are adding bleach later.

I'd suggest adding a dose of bleach to your filters and rinsing them after a fill up to prevent algae growth while in storage, then run some on the ground before filling the tank.

since your pulling river water, I'd add a 1/8" opening screen prior to your 5 micron filter (nominal), then a 1 micron absolute.

The setup the dude has in the video is pretty simple and functional so long as you are bleaching the tank. He doesn't mention it, but without that, he's set up for public potable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in