What to do in denver? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2019, 12:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 689770
Sucks the mint doesn't do tours on Fridays. we get there late thursday and leave mid day monday.

I guess I'm just looking for things in general that would be worth seeing in Denver that I wouldn't find on the east coast. I've been there once before, only to drive though on the way to Breckenridge. A few breweries will be good for me, but the GF doesn't like beer so hopefully a place with good food too. Any good museums? I know most "big cities" are similar, but I haven't really been to too many big cites, so they're all still different to me. Just looking for some general ideas
dirtymike72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #27 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymike72 View Post
but the GF doesn't like beer
Get rid of her. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymike72 View Post
Sucks the mint doesn't do tours on Fridays. we get there late thursday and leave mid day monday.

I guess I'm just looking for things in general that would be worth seeing in Denver that I wouldn't find on the east coast. I've been there once before, only to drive though on the way to Breckenridge. A few breweries will be good for me, but the GF doesn't like beer so hopefully a place with good food too. Any good museums? I know most "big cities" are similar, but I haven't really been to too many big cites, so they're all still different to me. Just looking for some general ideas
There's nothing in Denver that you can't find in any other major American city, especially if beer and weed are off the menu.
east_beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
ANGER IS A GIFT

Member # 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by east_beast View Post
There's nothing in Denver that you can't find in any other major American city, especially if beer and weed are off the menu.
Attached Images

|
Dookey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #30 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Forney transportation museum
Old 02-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Looks like there will be ice racing on Georgetown Lake Sunday. Its less than an hour west of Denver up I70. Get headed back down either early or late or you'll be stuck in bad skier Traffic, unless you take the Frontage road to Idaho Springs and then go to Central City/ BlackHawk gambling / all you can eat Crab legs etc. buffets.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 1889
My kids really like the Denver Museum of Nature and Science (dmns.org) which has a DaVinci exhibit opening Friday. I want to see that (my wife does too) but we're both kind of science/history geeks.
My kids are also big on the Denver Art Museum (denverartmuseum.org) but more so on the special exhibits. There's a Dior special exhibition on now, closing up in a few weeks, that my daughter loved.
What part of town are you going to be in? City or major intersection is close enough, but telling you that you should eat in Westminster if you're staying in Aurora isn't going to make you real thrilled.
Does your girlfriend not like alcohol at all, or just not beer? There are other options, from my location, plugging "distillery" into Google Maps brings up more than a dozen hits within 30 miles.

Last edited by [email protected]; 02-26-2019 at 01:42 PM.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #33 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Does your girlfriend not like alcohol at all, or just not beer? There are other options, from my location, plugging "distillery" into Google Maps brings up more than a dozen hits within 30 miles.
Stranahan Whiskey was a good place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 20304
Send a message via AIM to BarrelRoll
Will you have a car? Where are you staying?

I'm not a city person so I try and get out of town as much as possible. Here's some mountain ideas but a disclaimer first so you aren't another tourist asshole fucking up my drive home.

If you are renting a car that isn't 4x4/ awd and want to head up to the mountains go to https://www.cotrip.org/home.htm and check and see if there's passenger vehicle traction laws in effect. If there are and you don't have snow tires or AWD/ 4wd stay down the hill please. It's awesome when there's a rental car on crap tires spun out in the middle of the road making the drive even more fun. There's also really good traffic cameras giving you a pretty good idea what the weather is like.

Central City/ Black hawk is about an hour from Denver. It's one of the few places gambling is allowed. Blackhawk allowed modern buildings to be built but they have to "look old", central city still has everything in the original mine buildings. Central city is kinda cool to walk around. There's a couple cool old mines and a headfarme the old lady loves to take pictures of in Nevadaville just out side central city. I haven't found to go to restaurant up there yet. Drinks are still free if you are gambling.

Idaho Springs is technically a mountain town and cool once if you are a tourist. It was a major mining town and still has some things to see. Marions is great greasy soon breakfast, Tommy Knockers is a decent brew pub, smoking yards has good BBQ. I'm not sure if they do some of the mine tours during the winter or not. We did the Hidee last summer with some friends and they really enjoyed it but the Mollie Kathleen in Cripple creek is awesome (closed for the winter). If you are really jonesing for an underground mine tour and everything is closed hit me up, I can give tours of my work.

Oh my god road/ Virginia Canyon connects Idaho Springs to Blackhawk. It's a graded dirt road that's plowed though stay off it in a rental car if the weather is crappy. The views are great, there's a couple old mines to wander around/ take pictures of and a great way to loop Idaho springs to Central City/ Blackhawk.

The Peak to Peak Highway connects Estes Park to Central City/ Blackhawk. It's a nice drive. El-Mex Kal is awesome "real" Mexican food in Estes park. The Stanley Hotel is Estes Park was in the shining. Nederland is kinda an interesting hippy town. Driving back in rollinsville to the parking area for the moffet tunnel is neat, it's one of the few train tunnels through the continental divide.

We really like the national mining hall of fame in Leadville. We stopped for a "quick 45 minute trip" and were in there 2 hours and could have stayed longer if we weren't starving.

You could hit Idaho Springs for breakfast, ice races in Georgetown, mining hall of fame in Leadville. Giamapetros in Breckenridge has awesome Italian food but the wait can be long.

If you venture up I70 on a Saturday going up any time before 10am or down before 8pm sucks. Friday would be a good day to hit up the mountains if it isn't snowing, you would be coming home as most people are heading up I70
BarrelRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in