Oklahoma? School me. - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 673218
Looking at what $350,000 will buy me in Choctaw or Harrah im drooling. I'd be tempted to buy a house there.
Mighty Mats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #27 (permalink)

Member # 199544
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFastFord View Post
... Anywhere in that box is a good place to get robbed or car jacked, but it's not rampant...
Surprised nobody mentioned drunk injuns carrying guns & doing the war whoop while robbing tourists/newcomers-
det107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 17904
Quote:
Originally Posted by det107 View Post
Surprised nobody mentioned drunk injuns carrying guns & doing the war whoop while robbing tourists/newcomers-
Can't tell who they are out here. Most have blonde hair and blue eyes but somehow ended up on the Dawes Roll. They all get handouts, so they're not going to jeopardize that.
HalfFastFord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 235556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mats View Post
Looking at what $350,000 will buy me in Choctaw or Harrah im drooling. I'd be tempted to buy a house there.
My girlfriend is from Clinton Oklahoma and said to stay away from those towns. Cheap for a reason.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:40 PM   #30 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 673218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell_Sackett View Post
My girlfriend is from Clinton Oklahoma and said to stay away from those towns. Cheap for a reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHV Wildcat View Post
Personally, I'd be east of OKC if I had to do it over. Choctaw, maybe as far as Shawnee. It gets prettier and hilly out that direction, and I'm often heading that way when I'm going out of town.
Lets start a debate. Thoughts?
Old 03-02-2019, 04:26 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 154867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mats View Post
Lets start a debate. Thoughts?
Ok, Iíll give you my thoughts on it. I donít know you, so Iím assuming youíre a typical pirate guy. If youíre a typical San Diegan, this will seem like the rantings of a lunatic.

Tinker is on the east side of OKC. Highways heading out of OKC in each direction will have some traffic to deal with. Not like youíre used to, but there will be sections of 15mph traffic going each direction. Except east. Development isnít as heavy out there, so the commute seems to happen at better speeds.

Okís ďnatural beautyĒ is on a West to East gradient. The panhandle is just as ugly as western Kansas, but drier. The east part of the state is just as pretty as western Arkansas. Everything in between is, well, in between. But I-35 works as a pretty decent treeline. East of there has far more trees. So, on the west side of town, a wooded lot commands a huge premium. On the east side of town, thatís the majority of whatís available.

If youíre a lake person, you pretty much have to live on the east side. Choctaw would give you about a 2 hour commute to Tenkiller lake, which is quite pretty. Iím on the west side, so it would be a touch over 3 hours for me. Thatís the difference between buying a boat or not to me, so I donít have one. Also from Choctaw, Lake Thunderbird is about 15 min away. Itís a legendarily dirty lake, and everyone in the area turns their noses up at it. And theyíre full of shit. Itís a normal dirty OK lake, nothing worse than other lakes that people drive hours to (Grand Lake, for instance).

There are lots of older houses in the Choctaw area that are on acreages without a HOA. Thatís good and bad, obviously. And each situation will be controlled by the immediate neighbors. As in, a good buddy of mine had a nice house out there on 3 acres. While he was trying to sell the place, he put in a 8í privacy fence to block the neighbors. You could still see all the meth-inspired hillbilly shit they did. As in, the guy 2 houses down decided he wanted a swimming pool. So he hand-dug a 2í deep x 15í diameter hole, and threw a black rubber liner down in it. He used the piled up dirt to hold the liner in place. So, it was a well-sorted plan, obviously. After a couple months, he tired of his pool. So he and his family decided they would use it to bury trash. Last time I saw it old furniture and stuff was piled 6í deep in his 2í pool. Pretty nice. If my buddyís place wouldíve been Ĺ mile down the road, everything was well kept and nice.

For shopping, in a town like Choctaw, you wouldnít have a lot of options. Most things you would be driving back to the Tinker area to do. There are a couple restaurants, thatís it. It IS growing out there, so that will be fixed probably in the next several years. But for now, I think youíd be a bit ahead of the investment curve. Thatís based on no data at all, just the fact that traffic out there seems to flow well, so I think people will start moving that way. They're also putting in a N/S turnpike through Choctaw that will allow easy access from there to Tulsa. Be wary of that--you'd hate to find a quiet place just to find out they're getting ready to build a highway in your backyard. Proper planning for it will make it that much easier to get to Disney.

I think youíd figure out in a 30 minute drive around whether you liked the area. Itís possible to find places that are completely wooded, itís possible to find nice shop buildings, and itís possible to get away from people. All at a bargain. If youíre more the in-towner type, youíd hate it.
OHV Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2019, 07:34 AM   #32 (permalink)
I should be working

Member # 18829
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMT View Post
Swamp ass in the summer and you freeze in the winter and dodge tornadoes the rest of the year. People west of I35 are pretty normal people east of 35 are some cousin fuckin hillbillies.Alot of meth whores if you are into that kind of thing .
Hey, Fuck You! The East half of the state is where the culture is. The West half has no culture because it doesn't have anything at all. And i've lived here my entire 40-year life and never seen a tornado.

There is a shitload of natural beauty in the state. In the Northwest you can go to little sahara, in the Southwest you can go to the Wichita Mountains or Quartz Mountain, in the South there are the Arbuckles and places like Turner Falls, in the Southeast there's beautiful stuff all over, like broken bow lake. In the Northeast (aka "Green Country") there's a crapload of places to go like the illinois river and all the different lakes.

There are other wheeling places other than just Disney and Clayton if you know about them but they vary in size.

If you're into hunting there are lots of opportunities for that around too.

I lived in OKC for awhile and never had a single concern about crime. I think that's pretty much limited to people that already run in circles with a bunch of dirtbags. Up here in Broken Arrow we're one of the top 20 or so safest cities in the nation.

You can find some pretty open, rural places to live within half an hour of Tinker. Actually within 15 minutes to be honest, depending on traffic.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:04 PM   #33 (permalink)
A_G
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 118487
Go away...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vacancy (daytona coupe, 66 charger, cougar eliminator)
1967 F250: Restomod
1998 f150 reg cab, swb, 4x4 5.4
2013 Yamaha fz8
2015 jetta
And 2 more
A_G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2019, 03:23 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 188473
Where do I start? Has gotten up to 115*, seen it as low as -30*. Had a funnel cloud settle over my house. Earthquakes. Everything here is about oil and money. If you don't have one or the other you're fucked. Been here almost 50 years, still trying to get the hell out.
fart_plume is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 17904
Quote:
Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
Where do I start? Has gotten up to 115*, seen it as low as -30*. Had a funnel cloud settle over my house. Earthquakes. Everything here is about oil and money. If you don't have one or the other you're fucked. Been here almost 50 years, still trying to get the hell out.
With the amount of misinformation coming from people who don't live out here, this is probably the most truthful statement made. But, all in all, eastern OKC (yes we're still in city limits out here) is one of the better places to live.
HalfFastFord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 07:14 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 59610
Quote:
Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
sounds like you have a shittty life.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 152210
I've got relatives in madill, durant and elk city. I guess if you can get some land outside of town and figure out a way to avoid the interstate, it could be fun.

I'd imagine for 350K you should be able to do that and get a shop...
Old 03-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 84339
350K will get you land, a nice house, and a baller shop.

Shit, you could do that with 250k. Be prepared for an easy 30 minute commute. If you live east (choctaw, harrah, etc) you commute against traffic, and the sun.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #39 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 28687
The only thing that I can add is that the commute to Tinker from OKC isn't too bad during rush hour. There is definitely a lot of nothing out there outside of the base. Around Tinker, there is a bunch of decent places to eat.

Oh, and the thunderstorms and tornadoes are pretty ridiculous...
i don't like it, i don't understand it, and i don't think it would do good doughnuts and burnouts.
bremen242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 01:09 PM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 199544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay View Post
...And i've lived here my entire 40-year life and never seen a tornado.
No tornado drills during school ?
det107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2019, 03:58 PM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 7412
military must pay a shit load better than when i was in. i think i made 13k with sea pay my last year in.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #42 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 673218
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunracer1 View Post
military must pay a shit load better than when i was in. i think i made 13k with sea pay my last year in.
I dont spend any of my money on bullshit. I also have a second job working at a restoration shop so that helps me make a little extra play money.

I also have no life. Go to work, leave work, eat lunch at home, pack some snacks, go to the shop, leave at 2130, get home at 220, shower, cook, eat, do college homework, sleep, wake up and repeat.

I stopped eating out and only pay for internet, no cable. Trying to save up some serious money for a legit shop and down payment on a house. I don't know where I want to settle down once the military thing is over. But Oklahoma, Texas, and Utah seem to be at the top of my list right now. I'm over the Northeast and as good as commifornia was, I won't go back.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 7412
hell i make good money now a days and i wouldn't want to drop 300 plus. but you could buy a hell of a place in Oklahoma for that. i just wish i had bought more land or just kept some of what i had before it took off last time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in