FlexyTJ: Question about SCT X4 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 112738
FlexyTJ: Question about SCT X4

@FlexyTJ - IIRC, you tune with the SCT platform. I've been using a SCT X4 to load custom remote tunes in my Camaro SS. I'm moving over to the HP Tuners platform soon. In fact, the car is at the tuner right now being tuned with HPT. I intend to buy the interface and software so I can tune myself at the track.

I had to use my SCT device to return the car to the stock tune (because it was tuner locked) before my guy could tune with HPT.

My question is this: Now that I've returned my car to the stock tune, does that mean the tuner is no longer married to my vehicle? I'll be looking to sell the SCT and want to make sure it is usable for the next guy. Thanks in advance for the help.
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
@FlexyTJ - IIRC, you tune with the SCT platform. I've been using a SCT X4 to load custom remote tunes in my Camaro SS. I'm moving over to the HP Tuners platform soon. In fact, the car is at the tuner right now being tuned with HPT. I intend to buy the interface and software so I can tune myself at the track.

I had to use my SCT device to return the car to the stock tune (because it was tuner locked) before my guy could tune with HPT.

My question is this: Now that I've returned my car to the stock tune, does that mean the tuner is no longer married to my vehicle? I'll be looking to sell the SCT and want to make sure it is usable for the next guy. Thanks in advance for the help.
Yes, you are correct. "return to stock" unmarries it from the vehicle/VIN and enables use on another vehicle/or to be resold.

Pretty sure I'm jumping platforms here soon as well. SCT's deal with the .gov isn't sitting well with me even though it looks like I get to keep full access.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexyTJ View Post
Yes, you are correct. "return to stock" unmarries it from the vehicle/VIN and enables use on another vehicle/or to be resold.

Pretty sure I'm jumping platforms here soon as well. SCT's deal with the .gov isn't sitting well with me even though it looks like I get to keep full access.
Yeah, I'm not thrilled about what's been going on with the EPA stuff either. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can sell that device. What are they worth used with the box and both cables?
Old 03-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not thrilled about what's been going on with the EPA stuff either. Thanks for the information. Hopefully I can sell that device. What are they worth used with the box and both cables?
I'd think you'd be able to get at least $300 for it, is it the 7416 P/N? Bonus points for having the chrome badge
Old 03-04-2019, 05:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Quote:
I'd think you'd be able to get at least $300 for it, is it the 7416 P/N? Bonus points for having the chrome badge
I honestly don't know. The device is in the car, which is still at the tuner's shop. He got it tuned today, but he's working on the cold start enrichment in the morning when it is cold. I'll let you know the P/N when I get the car back tomorrow.

Side note- The Camaro (2010 SS) made 466 WHP on a Mustang dyno today. I'm happy with those numbers. If I can drive the car worth a damn, I think I can get it into the high 11s.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
I honestly don't know. The device is in the car, which is still at the tuner's shop. He got it tuned today, but he's working on the cold start enrichment in the morning when it is cold. I'll let you know the P/N when I get the car back tomorrow.

Side note- The Camaro (2010 SS) made 466 WHP on a Mustang dyno today. I'm happy with those numbers. If I can drive the car worth a damn, I think I can get it into the high 11s.
Mustang dyno's tend to read low, that's a strong # I think you got high 11's fairly easy with that WHP. Tire and track prep will play a role too. What kind of fuel is it tuned on? I always have had great luck on VP-101, or MS-109.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 101819
Quote:

Side note- The Camaro (2010 SS) made 466 WHP on a Mustang dyno today. I'm happy with those numbers.
Could you correct those hp numbers, the PBB only deals with corrected HP, anything else is just bullshit.
Thepanzerfuhrer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
Could you correct those hp numbers, the PBB only deals with corrected HP, anything else is just bullshit.

Just run it on a Dynojet
Old 03-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Quote:
Mustang dyno's tend to read low, that's a strong # I think you got high 11's fairly easy with that WHP. Tire and track prep will play a role too. What kind of fuel is it tuned on? I always have had great luck on VP-101, or MS-109.
I've heard that Mustang dynos are typically lower than DynoJets, but I think the numbers on this dyno are "corrected" to read like the latter. I really don't know much about that stuff, TBH.

It's tuned on 91 octane which is the best pump gas we can get here. Will be eventually revising the tune to burn 110 octane for racing, which should allow me to run a few degrees more spark advance.

I just ordered tires today. I'll be running 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson Street ET R rears and skinnies up front on dedicated drag wheels. The overall diameter is almost 2" smaller than my stock tires, which will give me the effect of a little lower gear ratio. I already have 4.10 gears (stock is 3.45), but these heavy pigs can use as much gear as you can get.

In the end, I have the car to run high 11s, but whether I have the talent to drive it that well is still in question. I haven't drag raced in 30 years. Last time I raced was in 1989 at high school drags.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepanzerfuhrer View Post
I knew something like this was coming.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
I've heard that Mustang dynos are typically lower than DynoJets, but I think the numbers on this dyno are "corrected" to read like the latter. I really don't know much about that stuff, TBH.

It's tuned on 91 octane which is the best pump gas we can get here. Will be eventually revising the tune to burn 110 octane for racing, which should allow me to run a few degrees more spark advance.

I just ordered tires today. I'll be running 275/40/17 Mickey Thompson Street ET R rears and skinnies up front on dedicated drag wheels. The overall diameter is almost 2" smaller than my stock tires, which will give me the effect of a little lower gear ratio. I already have 4.10 gears (stock is 3.45), but these heavy pigs can use as much gear as you can get.

In the end, I have the car to run high 11s, but whether I have the talent to drive it that well is still in question. I haven't drag raced in 30 years. Last time I raced was in 1989 at high school drags.
Lots of correction factors on the dyno, necessary tuning tool without question but I always preferred to race the track, not the dyno.

Ford's tunes are pretty rich (safe), if you fully trust the fuel there is some HP to be gained by targeting a leaner WOT lambda in N/A apps on gasoline, along with getting more aggressive on the timing and advance rates.

The MT ET R's are supposed to be good, you should like those.

Agreed on the gear for the most part, although the way a 6R80 is setup 4.10's cause you to have to hit 4th and that extra shift ends up costing time compared to just running less gear and letting it eat through the traps in 3rd up near the limiter. It is faster off the line but you pay for it with the extra shift on the top end. Any other trans/any other app is probably different this isn't applicable....

When I go through the car eventually I'm going with a looser converter and go back down in axle ratio to 3.55-3.73, live n' learn. When I went 4.10 I was thinking "I'm going to spool this thing up with no converter!" Mine was 4300lbs stock, got it whittled down to about 3700.

You'll be fine, just go make some passes!

Last edited by FlexyTJ; 03-04-2019 at 06:37 PM.
FlexyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2019, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Quote:

Agreed on the gear for the most part, although the way a 6R80 is setup 4.10's cause you to have to hit 4th and that extra shift ends up costing time compared to just running less gear and letting it eat through the traps in 3rd up near the limiter. It is faster off the line but you pay for it with the extra shift on the top end. Any other trans/any other app is probably different this isn't applicable....

You'll be fine, just go make some passes!
My car is a manual. It has the TR6060 in it. With the stock 3.45 gears, I might have trapped in 3rd gear, but it would have been a slug off the line and I probably would have never seen sub 2 second 60' times. With the 5th gen Camaro with lower than stock ratio, you're gonna be trapping in 4th. 4.10 ratio was as much gear as I could get with the limitations of the little 8.6" carrier. This fat bitch weighs almost 4k lbs stock, so I'm getting a little more with the tires.

Hope this makes sense, I'm 6 beers into the evening at this point.

Last edited by zlathim; 03-04-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
My car is a manual. It has the TR6060 in it. With the stock 3.45 gears, I might have trapped in 3rd gear, but it would have been a slug off the line and I probably would have never seen sub 2 second 60' times. With the 5th gen Camaro with lower than stock ratio, you're gonna be trapping in 4th. 4.10 ratio was as much gear as I could get with the limitations of the little 8.6" carrier. This fat bitch weighs almost 4k lbs stock, so I'm getting a little more with the tires.

Hope this makes sense, I'm 6 beers into the evening at this point.
Sure does, I was figuring you were manual. Intended launch rpm? Shift rpm?

Is there a larger carrier available or do guys just swap in a nice 'ole Ford axle at that point?

We'd probably be a good race...
Old 03-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Quote:
Sure does, I was figuring you were manual. Intended launch rpm? Shift rpm?

Is there a larger carrier available or do guys just swap in a nice 'ole Ford axle at that point?

We'd probably be a good race...
I'm gonna have to figure out my launch RPM and shift RPMs at the track, but I figure I'll start launching at about 3-4K and see what happens. Shift RPM will likely be set about 200 RPM higher than max HP RPM in order to carry enough into the next gear. I'm still learning all of this stuff, but I have a friend online with a very similar 5th gen and another that races a ZL1 (supercharged) at the local track who have both been kinda coaching me.

Some of the guys over at Camaro5.com have done the solid Ford 9" swap, but it's basically a back half at that point. I have a ways to go before I need to worry about that level of build. Otherwise we are pretty much stuck with the 8.6" carrier. I did put an Eaton Truetrac in mine so I don't have to worry about the one-wheel peel that the factory LSD eventually get when raced hard.

How's your motor coming? I think you said you were building a ripper...

Last edited by zlathim; 03-04-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 40417
Quote:
I'm gonna have to figure out my launch RPM and shift RPMs at the track, but I figure I'll start launching at about 3-4K and see what happens. Shift RPM will likely be set about 200 RPM higher than max HP RPM in order to carry enough into the next gear. I'm still learning all of this stuff, but I have a friend online with a very similar 5th gen and another that races a ZL1 (supercharged) at the local track who have both been kinda coaching me.

Some of the guys over at Camaro5.com have done the solid Ford 9" swap, but it's basically a back half at that point. I have a ways to go before I need to worry about that level of build. Otherwise we are pretty much stuck with the 8.6" carrier. I did put an Eaton Truetrac in mine so I don't have to worry about the one-wheel peel that the factory LSD eventually get when raced hard.

How's your motor coming? I think you said you were building a ripper...
Awesome, look forward to hearing about tales from the track. Amazing how they all wind up with Ford parts in them once they get quick Motor is still in a parts collection stage, I need to figure out what mode of boost I'm going with before proceeding.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 112738
Quote:
Awesome, look forward to hearing about tales from the track. Amazing how they all wind up with Ford parts in them once they get quick Motor is still in a parts collection stage, I need to figure out what mode of boost I'm going with before proceeding.
Gotcha. My buddy keeps trying to talk me into boosting the Camaro, but I've been hemorrhaging cash like crazy to get the car to this point, so unless I win the lottery that's not gonna happen soon. I'll keep you posted when I run the car. march 31st is the first test & tune day at the local track.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in