What kind of auto lifts are y'all using? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #26 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by takotruckin View Post
Or you can buy a quality lift like a CL10 and it will last 10 plus years and not deal with the downtime of replacing a cheap lift every 2-3 years.

Or you can buy a Mohawk that will last forever.
What makes you so sure the Chinese lifts wont last just as long? My lift has been used in a professional setting for that long and is far from being worn out.

I believe the legal standards that lifts have to meet plays a part in this. These lifts really do have to be built with integrity in mind.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 06:54 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 81277
Challenger E10 for me
Old 03-08-2019, 07:13 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 322034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
I've have the 9k unit from Best Buy Auto Equipment for several years now. I use my lift full time. It's lifted crew cab 4wd duallys without issue. I have recommended this same lift to several friends and they have all been very pleased with their purchases. Seems to be a quality tool. Probably the best bang for your buck.

https://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com...ifts-s/500.htm
1600 dollars are you fucking kidding me? wow.
montrose818 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 07:15 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
At around $3000 for one, seems to me a shop could throw one in, use it for 2-3 years tell it shits the bed, toss it, put in a new one, and not really end up on the bad side of things.

I mean lets be honest here, lets say over 3 years you average 2 cars a day 4 days a week. Allowing one full day per week to compensate for days where a car is on the rack a full day or two and so on. That is 1230 cars in 3 years. You take a $5000 lift, service said 1230 cars, and that works out to around $4.05(give or take) per car before you have to replace said "cheap" lift.
Actual car count is about 5 per day, five days a week. I've never done the math, but let's say conservatively a car goes up and down twice per job. Let's use a round number of $3000 savings for a cheap lift spread out over three years; that comes out to zero fucking dollars that bay makes when the lift goes down, times the several weeks to replace said cheap lift. I'd say the math is kinda lousy there.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
I prefer Forward and Rotary
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 07:19 AM   #31 (permalink)

Member # 233239
Look into Direct lift. Made by rotary. Most things are stamped rotary on it. I've used mine daily for 3 years without an issue. Feels sturdy and is well built. I'd recommend it to anyone. A little more than $2k when I bought it but not much over.
crawlercreations is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #32 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
At around $3000 for one, seems to me a shop could throw one in, use it for 2-3 years tell it shits the bed, toss it, put in a new one, and not really end up on the bad side of things.

I mean lets be honest here, lets say over 3 years you average 2 cars a day 4 days a week. Allowing one full day per week to compensate for days where a car is on the rack a full day or two and so on. That is 1230 cars in 3 years. You take a $5000 lift, service said 1230 cars, and that works out to around $4.05(give or take) per car before you have to replace said "cheap" lift.
Double or triple the number of cars for my shop. I can’t wait for a new lift to be shipped over from China when or if it breaks.

I bought my 10k asymmetrical Forward from a detail shop that didn’t use it much. $1250 and I installed it my self when I bought my new building. It will last 20-30 years if I take care of it.

Last edited by DMG; 03-08-2019 at 07:23 AM.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 07:32 AM   #33 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 102395
I bought this lift last year

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/tool...xoCa64QAvD_BwE

They aren't the quality lifts I used when I was younger...but then what really is.

My only recommendation is know which side you want the controls on.

You can probably get away with putting a standard 2 post lift either direction, but with an asymmetrical lift (at least the Bendpak) the controls are on the passenger side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you were twice as smart you would still be stupid!

But, as with most evil people, they live unnaturally long lives.

Dr Danger
lil,yota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #34 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose818 View Post
1600 dollars are you fucking kidding me? wow.
It was $1399 when I bought mine. I went back and looked and I've had it 4 years now. I think shipping was $250.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 23843
I have a 10k BendPak wide post asymetrical that is 13 years old now.....works great no issues other than the rubber pads on the feet rotting out and falling off.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #36 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175047
Quote:
What makes you so sure the Chinese lifts wont last just as long? My lift has been used in a professional setting for that long and is far from being worn out.

I believe the legal standards that lifts have to meet plays a part in this. These lifts really do have to be built with integrity in mind.
This. For less than 2 grand, this has been a great lift. Like I said before, commercial shop, cars/trucks going up and down all day. Arms are long and low, so meet the requirements for OP.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2019, 10:18 AM   #37 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 168108
I’ve had my danmar for a bit now and it’s great. 10k 2 post. Bought through northern tool.
Attached Images

dieselboy740 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #38 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr-nut View Post
This. For less than 2 grand, this has been a great lift. Like I said before, commercial shop, cars/trucks going up and down all day. Arms are long and low, so meet the requirements for OP.
Mine is has standards arms. It has no problem with cars. Although it did require driving onto 2x6's to get my drift car on. The car was lowered and the arms wouldn't go under the front with the side skirts on. The rear picked up the lift point no problem. It is designed to be lifted at the chassis rail in the front. Cars that lift by the pinch seams are cake and require nothing.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 7903
Local place sells Launch Tech TLT210-XT. It's just another chinese hoist. Been working fine for hobby use. I think I paid $2500 maybe 3 years ago. Seems like bend pak was well north of $3K at the time, and I couldn't find a reasonably priced used Rotary.

I had our 2500HD crew cab diesel on it once and a friend's super dooty diesel crew cab long bed on it a bunch of times. Seems to do fine.
JohnnyJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #40 (permalink)

Member # 177092
Lots of hate on the Chinese lifts

My father has a 10K (I think) Atlas that he picked up in Tucson with his car hauler, and I believe he paid about $1,400 or $1500 for it about 4 years ago.

Between me and him, it gets used pretty regularly, and my 7.3L which weighs 6,700 lbs. empty according to the scrap yards has been on it as much as anything. Honestly, I think it is a pretty decent lift, especially for the price. No real issues with it at all so far. Sure, there are a few small quirks likely due to it being an inexpensive lift, such as the arm position locks being pretty sloppy, and the arms can cock slightly if you don't fully depress the bleed lever when lowering, but nothing that you can't easily live with. It is stable enough with my Powerstroke and his crew cab gasser, but If you deal with a lot of big heavy trucks regularly, you might consider a beefier lift because his get a little bouncy with 6,000+ lbs.

I was hoping I had a picture of my Powerstroke lifted to max height from when I had the tranny out doing a clutch, but all I could find was this picture of My Bronco II when we were doing some suspension work a while back.

Edit: After looking on the Atlas website, I am pretty sure he has the 9OHSC-SS model which is a 9K capacity: https://www.atlasautoequipment.com/p...lifts/9ohsc-ss

Also, I am not sure if the price has gone up $500 since he bought his (steel tariffs), or if he just got some kind of deal since he picked it up direct.

Last edited by '84 Bronco II; 03-08-2019 at 11:08 AM.
'84 Bronco II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 9994
Action Fab: Is there any mechanical stuff in the top section of the posts that would keep me from cutting about a foot off the top?

If it is all mounted in the bottom, and just has the adjustable hydraulic lines up over the top, that may be my best option.

thanks!!!
jeepnmatt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 34052
Quote:
Originally Posted by yjwrangler95 View Post
Challenger E10 for me
That's what I bought in 2012. It was advertised to fit under a 12 foot ceiling. It does not. Mine was over 12'2". The customer support person told me that the website, sales catalog, and information packet that came with the lift are all wrong, and there is nothing Challenger will do about it. I ended up drilling new holes and lowering the overhead framework at their request. Now my cables are adjusted all the way to the end of threads. They sent me the "truck adapters" for my trouble. IMO they should have come with the lift in the first place. I was told that their tech would come up to my shop in Michigan on my dime. Lol Fawk Challenger.
drydocker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #43 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175047
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5.5 View Post
Actual car count is about 5 per day, five days a week. I've never done the math, but let's say conservatively a car goes up and down twice per job. Let's use a round number of $3000 savings for a cheap lift spread out over three years; that comes out to zero fucking dollars that bay makes when the lift goes down, times the several weeks to replace said cheap lift. I'd say the math is kinda lousy there.
If you're that worried about it going down, go online and find a replacement pump and motor. Toss it on the shelf and wait. That is the only part to go out on one, maybe the cylinders, but if you can't put a seal in a cylinder you probably have no reason to have a lift. Hell I had to put a motor on my 4-post due to its age, nothing lasts forever. Your argument is invalid.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #44 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 175047
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselboy740 View Post
I’ve had my danmar for a bit now and it’s great. 10k 2 post. Bought through northern tool.

I think your shop blew away!
Old 03-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #45 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnmatt View Post
Action Fab: Is there any mechanical stuff in the top section of the posts that would keep me from cutting about a foot off the top?

If it is all mounted in the bottom, and just has the adjustable hydraulic lines up over the top, that may be my best option.

thanks!!!
Just some cable trolleys. You'd have to shorten your cables. They are swedged onto studs that bolt to each arm. It wouldn't be a difficult modification though.

I'll be running to my shop later this afternoon and will try to take some pictures for you.

I will say, by cutting a foot off the top you'll never be able to stand up under something. which would annoy the crap out of me.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #46 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:

thanks!!!
You know they make short riser post lifts right? Look up "MaxJack" they make one unit designed to be only 86" tall but extends up another 20" above that line when lifting.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #47 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:

Because he probably has a fuckton of money sunk into name brand lifts with the only difference in quality being the paint job and whether they cleaned up their spatter before painting it and he needs to pull something out of his ass to justify it. That's what most people do.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 9994
Quote:
You know they make short riser post lifts right? Look up "MaxJack" they make one unit designed to be only 86" tall but extends up another 20" above that line when lifting.
yeah...i know...see my post #25. i'm trying to get a 9k lift in a 10' ceiling with no floor plate so i do not have to work off of jack stands.

there are some 7k lifts that might work, but if i'm going to spend the $$, i'd like to be able to lift my 1997 Ram CTD.

this one would work...but the $$ is too high: https://mohawklifts.com/automotive-l...lifts/system1/
jeepnmatt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 96278
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr-nut View Post
If you're that worried about it going down, go online and find a replacement pump and motor. Toss it on the shelf and wait. That is the only part to go out on one, maybe the cylinders, but if you can't put a seal in a cylinder you probably have no reason to have a lift. Hell I had to put a motor on my 4-post due to its age, nothing lasts forever. Your argument is invalid.
I remember all too well running across town to have a machine shop whip up a bushing for a lift cable pulley, while paying a mechanic to sit around, before calling customers to let them know their car wouldn't be done- on the day they made appointments and scheduled rides and such. This was for a made in the USA Challenger.

You want cheap shit for your shop, have at it.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #50 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:

thanks!!!
It would be incredibly easy to shorten the upper section. You could use tube collars to space the studs on the cables properly. Or just have new studs swedged onto the cables. They're just 3/8 cable.
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in