Forklift underdrive tech? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 07:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Forklift underdrive tech?

Supposedly out of a liftall mt80 forklift. Ive only seen range boxes in this fashion as an O/D unit. Cant imagine youd want O/D in a forklift. My google foo is off tonight. Had a 300 six and what im thinking is a T18.

Whats the ratio of the rangebox?

Last edited by Black Sheep; 03-11-2019 at 07:39 PM.
Black Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Is there a tag on it? Might help

I think dana and clark made those back in the 70's. I think those 435's had a also funky 1st ratio.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Spin it and count
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Random Dude

Member # 467273
If tag is missing but nothing's locked up, put trans in 1:1 and count output revolutions while spinning input?
EDIT: I'm too late by 5 minutes - didn't refresh before posting, dammit

Also, your cobweb collection on the underside of that plastic pallet is impressive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 03-11-2019 at 08:29 PM.
ExWrench is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 08:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
That is really neat. I just put a T18 in the truck and thought the only overdrive option was the Ranger. Ranger has a shifter on the left hand side, so this one looking just like the T18 is definitely an odd duck and I too would assume underdrive. Why they used a shift rail, I have no clue. You'd think like an NP203 range box or the Ranger that they'd just use a side selector to make it stupid simple.

Wonder if it's a viable option behind a healthy 460. The T18 certainly is. If it was, it'd be really cool paired with that doubler I just put in it. Tripler.

Anyway, I'd just mark it with a paint pen and count the rotations either way. You know the T18 is 1:1, so it makes it easy to see in 4th gear.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 03-11-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 20099
We have a Lift All, I forget the model #, but it's a bit different as it has an auto trans. I want to say it's early 80s. 12,000lb rated.

Has a 300 six. Has F N R like a modern forklift, but also has 1,2, 3 and 4 on a lever next to it.
On the floor is a big lever for low and high.

Not sure if low is 1:1 or an underdrive though.

Maybe when fairly new the idea was it could go down the road at 30mph? or something?
I've had it up in 3rd gear in low and it's about as fast as I dared to go. It feels like it's going about 110 between the steering that is more a suggestion than a command, no brakes, and apparently out of round tires.
nate379 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post
Is there a tag on it? Might help

I think dana and clark made those back in the 70's. I think those 435's had a also funky 1st ratio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Spin it and count
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
If tag is missing but nothing's locked up, put trans in 1:1 and count output revolutions while spinning input?
EDIT: I'm too late by 5 minutes - didn't refresh before posting, dammit

Also, your cobweb collection on the underside of that plastic pallet is impressive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Danger View Post
That is really neat. I just put a T18 in the truck and thought the only overdrive option was the Ranger. Ranger has a shifter on the left hand side, so this one looking just like the T18 is definitely an odd duck and I too would assume underdrive. Why they used a shift rail, I have no clue. You'd think like an NP203 range box or the Ranger that they'd just use a side selector to make it stupid simple.

Wonder if it's a viable option behind a healthy 460. The T18 certainly is. If it was, it'd be really cool paired with that doubler I just put in it. Tripler.

Anyway, I'd just mark it with a paint pen and count the rotations either way. You know the T18 is 1:1, so it makes it easy to see in 4th gear.
I dont own it, those are the pics from the current owner.

Trying to figure out if its some uber rare over (or under) drive or a boat anchor. The boss in the casting seem to mirror the trans, so im hoping a standard jeep/ford t18 bell could work.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post

Trying to figure out if its some uber rare over (or under) drive or a boat anchor. The boss in the casting seem to mirror the trans, so im hoping a standard jeep/ford t18 bell could work.
Right on. Hope it works out, because splitting gears on the fly would be badass, especially if that were placed in a work truck. If it proves to not be a boat anchor I may have to find myself one.

I had a 6 bolt round flange underdrive that used the same mechanism and shift motor out of an Eaton 2 speed rear end. Found it at Bryan Iron and Metal of all places and paid $10 for it. I really wanted to use it for the splitting, but it didn't have a 4x4 output flange. Sold it to some guy in Washington for $400 though so I made out ok.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

Old 03-11-2019, 09:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post
We have a Lift All, I forget the model #, but it's a bit different as it has an auto trans. I want to say it's early 80s. 12,000lb rated.

Has a 300 six. Has F N R like a modern forklift, but also has 1,2, 3 and 4 on a lever next to it.

Maybe when fairly new the idea was it could go down the road at 30mph? or something?
I've had it up in 3rd gear in low and it's about as fast as I dared to go. It feels like it's going about 110 between the steering that is more a suggestion than a command, no brakes, and apparently out of round tires.
When I was much younger we had a forklift with a 2 speed auto trans, had a little toggle switch for high range. That thing was fucking sketchy when you got it moving. Fuck going fast with rear steer.

Quote:

Old 03-11-2019, 09:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate379 View Post

Which has me wondering if reverse is some how locked out on the trans, and its a F-N-R box?

Quote:
Right on. Hope it works out, because splitting gears on the fly would be badass, especially if that were placed in a work truck. If it proves to not be a boat anchor I may have to find myself one.

I had a 6 bolt round flange underdrive that used the same mechanism and shift motor out of an Eaton 2 speed rear end. Found it at Bryan Iron and Metal of all places and paid $10 for it. I really wanted to use it for the splitting, but it didn't have a 4x4 output flange. Sold it to some guy in Washington for $400 though so I made out ok.
If i had free time, id walk through bryan iron. I miss that place.

Once paid 25 cents a pound for a 4x4 NV4500. Amongst other neat shit throughout the years. Chad (owner) was a cool guy, he had some bitches behind the counter though.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 20099
Quote:
Which has me wondering if reverse is some how locked out on the trans, and its a F-N-R box?
Quite possible.

Certainly is easier to steer at speed going in reverse.

Old junkyards are awesome to spend time poking around in.

I go to the equipment auctions, half the time not looking for anything at all, just want to be like 8 years old and climb around the stuff, poke around, etc. Not everyday a person can play around on a D10 dozer or 700 excavator for example!

Last edited by nate379; 03-11-2019 at 09:44 PM.
nate379 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:

If i had free time, id walk through bryan iron. I miss that place.

Once paid 25 cents a pound for a 4x4 NV4500. Amongst other neat shit throughout the years. Chad (owner) was a cool guy, he had some bitches behind the counter though.
Helluva score there. Chad is still there I believe. They've got a slew of old Ford and Chevy engines, transmissions, and transfer cases laying around stll, and he's the man to deal with if you want to buy parts. I need to ask about a few things they've got stored in the back.

The old cool shit is getting pretty rare now but at least they try to move vehicles to the front for parts sales or in the very rear and hang onto them for a long time before they get crushed. I absolutely love that you can just waltz on in and wander the yard on your own with no liability bullshit policy.

New steel sales suck ass now though. They don't keep anything in stock, which sucks because they are so close to the house. Mack's it is for that.

Quote:

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 03-11-2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Helluva score there. Chad is still there I believe. They've got a slew of old Ford and Chevy engines, transmissions, and transfer cases laying around stll, and he's the man to deal with if you want to buy parts. I need to ask about a few things they've got stored in the back.

The old cool shit is getting pretty rare now but at least they try to move vehicles to the front for parts sales or in the very rear and hang onto them for a long time before they get crushed. I absolutely love that you can just waltz on in and wander the yard on your own with no liability bullshit policy.

New steel sales suck ass now though. They don't keep anything in stock, which sucks because they are so close to the house. Mack's it is for that.
You couldnt get me to move back. But i loved how anything you needed was 15min away. Although, that was 10 years ago when i was all in. There were several junkyards where cash was king. Villa motor works wasnt bought out or whatever happened. Bryan hose and gasket could throw shit together in hours. Then the white trash hill billies 30 min outside of town sold shit cheap to pay child support and dwi's. It was (maybe still is) an old truck building utopia.

Sonny over at BCS alternator can build whatever you can imagine. For half the cost of anyone else around. I still have him ship me parts.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:

We used to have a fleet of 70's wiggens forklifts, they were originally a 225 chrysler, 2 speed brownie with neutral, and NP 435's with funky gearing. They looked pretty similar. We converted them to 4bt's since they were pretty solid machines. That was pretty common stuff in the 70's. I can't remember how much the underdrive was, probably like 2:1 in those.

They would do 30 MPH, but you had better be going backword's because rear steer at that speed was sketchy.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 06:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 256962
Quote:
. Had a 300 six and what im thinking is a T18.
Can you please post some pics of whatever adapter was on the bell-housing? What kind of clutch/flywheel did it use? Normal Ford stuff?

If the range box is synchro'd it would be pretty great for a tow rig that sees a lot of BDLs

Last edited by arse_sidewards; 03-12-2019 at 06:14 AM.
arse_sidewards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 23553
I bet its a F-N-R box. I worked on an old Hyster from the '50s or '60s and it had a very similar looking setup, F-N-R box in front of what I think was a T98.
mjlogan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 07:52 AM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 47220
That a F-R box I worked on them for years. The towable modles had a lock out on the floor plate to hold them in N when towing.
OUTLAWHANK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 47220
The square hole on the bell housing is for the oil clutch. There was a bunch of hyd hoses running to a aluminum block that sprayed hyd oil on the clutch disc to keep it from burring up when inching in to a load. Hyster, Cat also had o/c units. They used a IH vertical MC that was unique.
OUTLAWHANK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 08:12 AM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 79509
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlogan88 View Post
I bet its a F-N-R box. I worked on an old Hyster from the '50s or '60s and it had a very similar looking setup, F-N-R box in front of what I think was a T98.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTLAWHANK View Post
That a F-R box I worked on them for years. The towable modles had a lock out on the floor plate to hold them in N when towing.
Thats what im thinking now, makes the most sense. With the engine mounted in reverse, with the front axle being the drive, youd need a FNR box to have 4 foward speeds.

Only pic of the engine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in