What do you do for back Pain? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 673218
What do you do for back Pain?

I turn 27 this year and my back is killing me. It is to the point where I am constantly in pain. Pain is located in the middle of my back, not a shooting paint just a constant throbbing.

I can't even drive 20 minutes in my car without squirming in the seat trying to find a comfortable position.

Doc gave me some muscle relaxers to take at night but they don't do much.

I stopped exercising because of the pain. I'm not overweight, 5'8 155lbs.

I also work, a lot. Work starts at 0800 and I usually end my day at 2100-2200. I'm home 30 minutes after work stops. I set up computer networks at my first job. I'm constantly moving stuff, laying on my back, or in some weird position. I work in an auto shop for my second job.

I tried switching mattress, using a tempurpedic mattress topper.

Doc sent me over to see a physical therapist but all they are doing right now is teaching me how to stretch.

I can't smoke the herb due to my job or take anything that is not prescribed to me.

Thoughts?
Mighty Mats is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 198274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mats View Post
I turn 27 this year and my back is killing me. It is to the point where I am constantly in pain. Pain is located in the middle of my back, not a shooting paint just a constant throbbing.

I can't even drive 20 minutes in my car without squirming in the seat trying to find a comfortable position.

Doc gave me some muscle relaxers to take at night but they don't do much.

I stopped exercising because of the pain. I'm not overweight, 5'8 155lbs.

I also work, a lot. Work starts at 0800 and I usually end my day at 2100-2200. I'm home 30 minutes after work stops. I set up computer networks at my first job. I'm constantly moving stuff, laying on my back, or in some weird position. I work in an auto shop for my second job.

I tried switching mattress, using a tempurpedic mattress topper.

Doc sent me over to see a physical therapist but all they are doing right now is teaching me how to stretch.

I can't smoke the herb due to my job or take anything that is not prescribed to me.

Thoughts?
Two suggestions:
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and suck it up.
mr jits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 03:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Chiropractor 3 times a week for PT and adjustment. Weed in the evening for sleep. Lots of push ups, pull ups, planks, leg raises. I also sometimes wear a back brace. Grit my teeth and deal with it the rest of the times.
Attached Images

Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member # 673218
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jits View Post
Two suggestions:
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and suck it up.
I had to take a break from BJJ
Old 03-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 673218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
Chiropractor 3 times a week for PT and adjustment. Weed in the evening for sleep. Lots of push ups, pull ups, planks, leg raises. I also sometimes wear a back brace. Grit my teeth and deal with it the rest of the times.
That looks terrible
Old 03-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
That looks terrible
That's what happeneds when you get hit square in the pelvis by the winch bumper of a Nissan Hardbody, traveling 60mph, and survive.

And people wonder why I never hiked 2200 miles across the AT after that.

I think you should consult a Physical Therapist or a Chiropractor and get setup with some exercises that strengthen and straighten whatever is unsupported or out of whack.

Last edited by Action Fab; 03-16-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 138515
I have similar problems and the best relief i have found is a 120$ inversion table from amazon. 5-10 mins twice a day and I have been pain free for 6 weeks (knock on wood). Not sure why it works, but it does. Worth a shot....
pyleit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 04:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member # 168243
Mines not as bad as some but it gets to me some days. I've been using kratom for a while to keep it at bay when it's really bothering me.

My little brother has a bunch of rods and screws in his back from a fall. He doesn't really like to take tramadol but has to sometimes. He usually uses kratom in the day, and pot before bed. He got a vape pen and uses high CBD oil, so maybe the legal stuff may help you.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member # 82607
Lidocane patches, get some professional advice on what stretching you should or shouldn't be doing, I have a large medicine ball that I sit against on the floor and that probably helps more than anything.
Rest is about the only other help which is hard to come by as a carpenter.
Get a good massage at least once a week, I have been getting them and it has helped tremendously, that's where I was introduced to the lidoccaine patches.

There is always surgery, I know two guys that have had it , one twice and one is doing great and the other not so much. I wish there was a magical cure and if any of you find it please let me know I should try the weed as I haven't been sleeping well lately.
I did use the inversion table and it did help but I can't use it since I had my heart attack.
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Member # 684666
I've had back pain since I fucked it up in hs hockey, took a bad hit, I've pulled muscles more than a few times and crashed a motorcycle and flew off the road and fucked my back and shoulder up.

That said. Foam rollers and heating pads have helped. A good friend is a chiropractor and I've done tons of adjustments which help for a little bit too.
jedijesus2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 56430
Quote:

Thoughts?
This.

My issue is hamstrings. If I don't stretch (toe touches, and whatnot) I'm in terrible low to mid back pain. The Hammy connects from toes to tailbone. If I don't stretch, it causes tailbone to be pulled down, causing lower to midback pain due to the stresses from tailbone along lower spine.

However, if I'm regularly stretching, life becomes much better.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Member # 146689
Foam roller and hot yoga at least once a week.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Member # 82607
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusM View Post
Foam roller and hot yoga instructor at least once a week.
(fixed it for you )
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusM View Post
Foam roller and hot yoga at least once a week.
Never liked hot yoga. But regular yoga is awesome. I don't go anymore but it's definitely a helpful thing to get into.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
2JZ

Member # 684802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab View Post
You should look into Rolfing (Structural Integration). It could straighten you out. Ive been going to the same gal for 20 years. Its pretty awesome.

My back sucks. I have tried everything under the sun, including low back surgery (laminectomy). A year ago I fell off a 8' wall and fractured 6 vertebrae. Needless to say It's really bad now. My latest attempt to rehab my back is an Endless Pool with treadmill. I'm getting a little stronger every day, but am still in pain 24/7. It sucks. Most days I just suck it up and deal with it. Other days I take Oxy for at least a little relief.
Old 03-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyleit View Post
I have similar problems and the best relief i have found is a 120$ inversion table from amazon. 5-10 mins twice a day and I have been pain free for 6 weeks (knock on wood). Not sure why it works, but it does. Worth a shot....
This is helpful for both my wife and me. My kids like it too but itís more of a fun thing to them, just hanging upside down. Iím told it doesnít work at all for some, so probably not a bad idea to ask around if you know anybody whoíll let you try theirs before you drop $$, but for us, it was a good thing.
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 05:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 64925
Send a message via MSN to grnd93
Smoke weed every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2019, 05:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Member # 95763
I fell a distance of 40 feet and cracked my L4 and L5 with a slipped disk in between the two.

I went to the chiropractor for years and what finally figured me out was physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around my weak area. It sucked balls and was very painful, but I have been problem free for about 10 years now.

Edit, before the physical therapy I was in pain 24/7. I struggled to put my pants on in the morning.

Last edited by KarlVP; 03-16-2019 at 05:46 PM.
KarlVP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 06:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 31211
I havent done much regular yoga, but after three hot yoga (Bikram Yoga) sessions, I fired my chiropracter. My back was killing me and Couldnt sleep hardly at all. Yoga was a night and day difference. Not easy though... 90 minutes of sweating your balls off was as hard as most HS two a day practices in August in Houston. But it brought the relief. Its the only thing Ive ever done where my heart was beating out of my chest while standing still. Upside is lots of hot chicks.
charlieboyd65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Member # 199544
Quote:
...my back is killing me. It is to the point where I am constantly in pain. Pain is located in the middle of my back...
Perhaps switch sexual positions, start being under & dominated
det107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #21 (permalink)
DMG

Member # 8145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyleit View Post
I was going to suggest this as well. I made an iPad holder for mine so I am not bored when I use it.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 06:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Member # 95763
Quote:
Originally Posted by det107 View Post
Perhaps switch sexual positions, start being under & dominated
It's tough to do when you are a power bottom.
KarlVP is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 06:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 153567
I'm 51 and dealing with stenosis. I've been thru PT, Chiropractor(made it far worse), Cortisone injections(temporary relief), Inversion table, stretching table, Pain meds, acupuncture, lots of ibuprofen, bourbon, some yoga, and two surgeries. First one lasted 7 years, second one last 3 months. Other than surgery, Pt, yoga, inversion/stretching, ibuprofen and ice packs help the most. Chiropractor was the worse thing I tried. Bad news for you, its not going to get better, just try to minimize the pain. What ever it is, get an MRI to find out what exactly is going on. My insurance company had me wasting time(and $) for two years before they approved an MRI. Once we knew exactly was wrong, it made treatment much simpler. If you don't like what you're doctor is telling you, go find another. I had one doctor that was just seeing how many procedures and referrals he could get paid for.I had a real good PT and it helped a lot, it didn't fix the problem, but helped. Ice packs and ibuprofen before you go to bed. I haven't found a mattress I can sleep on any more, I've been sleeping on my couch for three years(it restricts my movements when I sleep). Thinking about trying the purple mattress,
sparepartsdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2019, 07:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

Member # 85615
VA gives me Percocets, I trade them for weed!
Old 03-16-2019, 07:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 74407
Start with a chiropractor and see if it helps. I did something end of last year/beginning of this year and it got to the point where I could barely get out of bed and then standing was excruciating at times. I finally went to a chiropractor to see what happened and while I could probably benefit from regular adjustments, I only had to get one to feel better and then a 2nd one a month later. Feel like I need to go back pretty soon, but it'll be 2mo's by then.

If it doesnt help or only only for a short time then maybe see about other options.

Last edited by TireFryerSS; 03-16-2019 at 07:41 PM.
TireFryerSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in