Tractor project opinions - Page 5 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 10:06 AM   #101 (permalink)

Member # 9307
I got the new cylinder head and it looks like it's in good condition. it does need a freeze plug put in where it had a block off plate. The head on mine bolts to the firewall.
A couple questions. I marked the injector pump gear(not well but well enough I think) I was going to put the pump back on but the gear looks a tooth off. I cannot wiggle it enough to move it back so how the hell is it off? I didn't move the injector pump shaft and it seams to confirm that it's off. Where do I find a funky size freeze plug?
Does anyone here know if a 4D88E Yanmar will work in place of my 4TNV84? If so I may grab one. They look the same to me. I am going to assemble mine and find out if the block is cracked.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #102 (permalink)

Member # 90667
Tractor shit is always hard to find without ordering straight from the company. And John Deere is like Bobcat in which they jack the hell out of the price just for name sake.

Freeze Plug... Caliper measure the diameter and order specific online? My preference is brass over metal due to it seems to conform better to the cast hole. But you only have 1 shot to get it in and not supposed to re-use one.

When all else fails, I have a tremendous Mom and Pop 8-5 M-F sorta auto parts store nearby (A1 Auto) that really knows their shit that I take difficult items to such as odd sized freeze plugs. They either have it in stock or have a gazillion books to pull out and order me one. Unlike Autozone or Advanced that has to have a make and model to find anything. And nothing specifically for tractors.
Gittinwidit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 10:28 AM   #103 (permalink)

Member # 70148
No idea on the 4D88E, but I think that is the komatsu number. Komatsu used yanmars a lot. Crankshaft bolt pattern may be different.

If you didn't turn the engine over and didn't turn the IP over, then the IP shaft could have rotated a little on it's own from a plunger spring being lifted. I'd rotate the IP shaft to where you think it should be then see if it springs back again.

Once you get it together you can check spillover timing if you want, but when I did it with the wd40 straw method it was too advanced when running so YMMV.
Keep in mind that yanmar calls cylinder 1 the one closest to the flywheel.

As far as the plug goes, I don't see it on JD parts, I think my overhaul kit from maxiforce came with one. Might be worth calling them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-09-2019 at 10:35 AM.
larboc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #104 (permalink)

Member # 9307
S.O.B. I went out of town last weekend so I didn't have time to work on the engine until today.
I put the head on with the new head gasket. I did the first round of tightening them down and started round two. The second bolt felt like it was getting pretty damn tight but I couldn't get the click from the torque wrench and then &^*&#%! the bolt broke. I tightened the next few and the torque wrench acted fine so I don't know what happened. F me.
Old 04-13-2019, 01:47 PM   #105 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Sucks to be you!

Sorry, had to. I can't remember if the manual says to re-use head bolts?
Did you chase the threads out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #106 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RatBastard View Post
S.O.B. I went out of town last weekend so I didn't have time to work on the engine until today.
I put the head on with the new head gasket. I did the first round of tightening them down and started round two. The second bolt felt like it was getting pretty damn tight but I couldn't get the click from the torque wrench and then &^*&#%! the bolt broke. I tightened the next few and the torque wrench acted fine so I don't know what happened. F me.
Where did it break? Is is down in the block or proud of it.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #107 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Sucks to be you!

Sorry, had to. I can't remember if the manual says to re-use head bolts?
Did you chase the threads out?
I did not chase them. The manual just said dip them in oil but nothing about using new ones. I wonder if I could have had too much oil and broke it that way? I just dipped in in a cap of marvel mystery oil so I doubt it but who knows. All but one looked like new so no corrosion or dirt and the first round of 41ft lbs(I think) went fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan View Post
Where did it break? Is is down in the block or proud of it.
Just below the surface.

Now might be a good time to try another pressure test before trying to fix that bolt?
Old 04-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #108 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 9144
Send a message via AIM to DozerDan
Quote:
I did not chase them. The manual just said dip them in oil but nothing about using new ones. I wonder if I could have had too much oil and broke it that way? I just dipped in in a cap of marvel mystery oil so I doubt it but who knows. All but one looked like new so no corrosion or dirt and the first round of 41ft lbs(I think) went fine

Just below the surface.

Now might be a good time to try another pressure test before trying to fix that bolt?
No don't could fuck the new HD.

Weld a nut to it or get some left hand drill bits.

Fear is not an option!
DozerDan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #109 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:

Just below the surface.

Weird, I dipped mine in engine oil, but I can't see it making that much of a difference.

Torque wrench in calibration?

Old 04-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #110 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Weird, I dipped mine in engine oil, but I can't see it making that much of a difference.

Torque wrench in calibration?
That's what was weird I did one it was fine, that one seamed like it was taking more effort but the next three also did fine so I don't know. Just a cheap clicking style torque wrench that lives in a case.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #111 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Overheated head bolts get weak. Unless you don't think it ever got hot (joke). Also, you need to chase threads for head bolts on a used engine.
Realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2019, 05:41 PM   #112 (permalink)

Member # 70148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realsquash View Post
Overheated head bolts get weak. Unless you don't think it ever got hot (joke). Also, you need to chase threads for head bolts on a used engine.
The way the head bolt thread boss is separated from the "liner' by a gap, I can't imagine it would be hot enough to weaken them that much but I suppose it's possible.
Buy new head bolts, and I hate to say it, but probably a head gasket too.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 AM   #113 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 225557
Quote:
That's what was weird I did one it was fine, that one seamed like it was taking more effort but the next three also did fine so I don't know. Just a cheap clicking style torque wrench that lives in a case.
man.. broken bolt sucks.
like they said try LH drill bits first to see if it comes up easy
if no weld the nut

this happened to me with HF wrench
sometimes it gets stuck and doesnt click
so i have to go backwards and forward to get it click again (no idea why)
since that happened i always test it in wise

fredycruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 PM   #114 (permalink)

Member # 9307
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredycruger View Post
man.. broken bolt sucks.
like they said try LH drill bits first to see if it comes up easy
if no weld the nut

this happened to me with HF wrench
sometimes it gets stuck and doesnt click
so i have to go backwards and forward to get it click again (no idea why)
since that happened i always test it in wise
I am thinking this is what happened, no click and I should have backed it off and tried again.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:18 PM   #115 (permalink)

Member # 9307
The winds of shit are turning around. I bought a 1996 Bronco as a project and this morning I actually got the tailgate latch and the back window to work.
Then this...I used a LH drill bit and bolt came right out. Here is a picture of how clean they were. I ordered some head bolts and a new head gasket.

Old 04-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #116 (permalink)

Member # 82607
Quote:
The winds of shit are turning around. I bought a 1996 Bronco as a project and this morning I actually got the tailgate latch and the back window to work.
Then this...I used a LH drill bit and bolt came right out. Here is a picture of how clean they were. I ordered some head bolts nad a new head gasket. and a new torque wrench

Fixxered it for you
dave_dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #117 (permalink)

Member # 2578
You should get a beam-style torque wrench while you're ordering stuff. I try to use them whenever possible because I've had the same problem with the clickers - if you're not pulling exactly right they sometimes don't click! Beams have never let me down.
Realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in