Lawn Guys .... blade talk .. - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2019, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 19204
Lawn Guys .... blade talk ..

I got a Dixie Chopper with 3 blades and 60" deck. They are about three years old and I havent been to kind on them while getting this property into shape. Finally ready for that nice finish cut on the whole 3 acres so I want new blades for the summer. Looking to get some nice striping. DC's site is Zero help describing the differences between the blade types ...

Eliminators, Twist, High Lift, X Blades, Wide Blades .... What the What

Is there a non DC option thats better?
Old 03-29-2019, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member # 81613
I use gator bladed

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
I have gators. Get 2 sets so you can always have one set sharp and ready to swap out.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 03:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
You need to get a stripe kid for the deck to stripe. Or make one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Grass-Gro...saAgk_EALw_wcB

I really like the blades I got for my Hustler. They stay sharp for 3-4 mows I'm on 2 acres.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 84339
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS View Post
You need to get a stripe kid for the deck to stripe. Or make one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Grass-Gro...saAgk_EALw_wcB

I really like the blades I got for my Hustler. They stay sharp for 3-4 mows I'm on 2 acres.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just bought an older (2006) Hustler that needs a little work. Any idea on where to get a drive motor gasket and a spindle nut?
Old 03-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
I use a knock off USA made Gator look alike. Snapper dealer has Ninja blades too (Snapper trademark named X blade style) but even they stock a shitload of Gator style.

They just flat out work for mulching and leave a good enough cut to make me happy. Both the Gator and Ninja style are considered high lift blades, and it's if you're running a mulch collector off the back. Supposedly gets more air moving to push the clippings back into the bag. No idea what eliminator or twist is.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Dr.Danger; 03-29-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 04:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 386
Send a message via ICQ to MattS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pt_Ranger_V8 View Post
I just bought an older (2006) Hustler that needs a little work. Any idea on where to get a drive motor gasket and a spindle nut?
I checked and got some stuff off ebay. But my Hustler dealer actually beats them on price 95% of the time. I hope you have the model/serial number. Mine was power washed off (me FML) and it was a BITCH to get the right parts. I put a outer left spindle and pulley on last year and it took 3 tries before we got it right.
MattS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
I just ordered a 4 pack of blades for my Cub Cadet RZT42. Old blades are some that I made myself and are beat to shit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pk-Oregon-...72.m2749.l2649

At $10 and some change per blade I didn't think I could get anything anywhere else for close to the same money.

Also got the mower out for the first time a few days ago. Checked the oil, changed the battery out, etc. Fired it up and the wife greased the blade spindles and started mowing while I ran to town. Came back and the engine was knocking pretty bad. Checked the oil again and it had gotten a bit of moisture in there over the winter. Fuck.

Moved it over to the garage to see if I could flush it out and add some new oil and change the filter. Let it cool down some and tried starting it again. Barely started and immediately threw the rod. It looks like a damn grenade went off in the crankcase!

So it's getting a HF predator 22hp engine upgrade. Was a 17hp unit to start with.

Also picked up a used Exmark Lazer Z with a 60" deck that was local. Man that thing makes that little cub cadet look like a goddamn toy!
Old 03-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Dont buy mulching blades if your going to wait months between cuts
2big bronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
BDK

Member # 295498
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sL6QJSdqlt0&t=33s
Old 03-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 73540
I use the high lift blades on my grasshoppers. I tried the Gators a few years ago and they didn't throw the clippings out very far and clumped up awful. The high lifts throw the clippings out several feet.
rektec250r is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Safety third!

Member # 168243
Quote:
Originally Posted by rektec250r View Post
I use the high lift blades on my grasshoppers. I tried the Gators a few years ago and they didn't throw the clippings out very far and clumped up awful. The high lifts throw the clippings out several feet.
Well, yeah. They're a mulching blade that isn't designed for side eject. They're designed to push air and clippings up so they fall back down on the blade and get hit several times, and go out to a rear bag if you have one.

Quote:
By the way, Irregardless does pass spell check and it is a word. The meaning is exactly the same, you just want to play games

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
Dr.Danger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 07:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 91857
Send a message via AIM to yozsi
I wonder if anyone makes a 30" gator blade for Honda's.

Foreign Car Center
Vallejo, CA
yozsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 19204
I cut it weekly and it throws out the side a good 3-4'. Still clumpy on the 1/2 of the lawn that gets sun from sun up to sun down.

I got a dump from the seat bag system but it was for a commercial version which i didn't realize.... so i'd like to try the mulching ones.

seems there isn't a Oregon Gator for my model tho ..
Old 03-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Member # 20099
I have pretty much the same mower, mine has 3 blades, 48" deck though, or maybe it's 46". It's about 10-12 years old. Have maybe 300hrs on it and I mow around an acre. Also use it to tug a yard cart around to haul my firewood from the driveway to the backyard racks and if there's not snow, from the racks to the house when I'm running the stove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_81067 View Post
I just ordered a 4 pack of blades for my Cub Cadet RZT42. Old blades are some that I made myself and are beat to shit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4pk-Oregon-...72.m2749.l2649

At $10 and some change per blade I didn't think I could get anything anywhere else for close to the same money.

Also got the mower out for the first time a few days ago. Checked the oil, changed the battery out, etc. Fired it up and the wife greased the blade spindles and started mowing while I ran to town. Came back and the engine was knocking pretty bad. Checked the oil again and it had gotten a bit of moisture in there over the winter. Fuck.

Moved it over to the garage to see if I could flush it out and add some new oil and change the filter. Let it cool down some and tried starting it again. Barely started and immediately threw the rod. It looks like a damn grenade went off in the crankcase!

So it's getting a HF predator 22hp engine upgrade. Was a 17hp unit to start with.

Also picked up a used Exmark Lazer Z with a 60" deck that was local. Man that thing makes that little cub cadet look like a goddamn toy!

Last edited by nate379; 03-29-2019 at 08:47 PM.
nate379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in