DUI While Parked - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 09:57 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 700186
Not exactly the same thing. But my college buddy got a DUI on roller blades after he decided not to drive to the bar.
Buck Wild Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 52361
Once upon a time, on probation, I installed a finger button combination lock pistol box in each of my trucks and left the keys at home.
Guns, cash, keys, whatever, not opening it. Don't remember combination, ask if under arrest, if so, for what charges, request attorney.
PROJECTJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2019, 10:55 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 53453
One of my friends got a DUI while sleeping in his truck.

The truck was running in the left turn lane, blinker on, at a light that had changed several times, in the middle of downtown... Guess he took it out of gear to save pushing the clutch in on the old F-2shitty and passed out while waiting for the light to change, and was safely sleeping it off when the mounted police decided to come knocking on his window.

Granted, that wasn't his first DUI. The one before then he actually planted the car on the steps of the courthouse. Convenient, save for it taking so long for things to go to trial around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DirtyComanche; 04-08-2019 at 10:55 PM.
DirtyComanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 229476
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyComanche View Post
One of my friends got a DUI while sleeping in his truck.

The truck was running in the left turn lane, blinker on, at a light that had changed several times, in the middle of downtown... Guess he took it out of gear to save pushing the clutch in on the old F-2shitty and passed out while waiting for the light to change, and was safely sleeping it off when the mounted police decided to come knocking on his window.

Granted, that wasn't his first DUI. The one before then he actually planted the car on the steps of the courthouse. Convenient, save for it taking so long for things to go to trial around here.

Who doesn't take it out of gear while at a stop though?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

www.33Chevy.net
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 12:36 AM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post

Everyone that's not on a motorcycle?
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 01:56 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 6234
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
Every manual I've ever driven comes out of gear when at a light/stop. It saves wear and tear on the throwout bearing.
WillyPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 04:23 AM   #57 (permalink)

Member # 85771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyPete View Post
Every manual I've ever driven comes out of gear when at a light/stop. It saves wear and tear on the throwout bearing.
Fawk that. I'm on a bike, it stays in gear. Last thing I want is to get rear ended.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:56 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 4176
Happened to one of my best friends uncle. Uncle is mentally unstable/autistic. Well known individual amongst local LEO. Has a previous history of drunk driving. He was sitting in his driveway listening to music too loudly and the neighbors called and complained about the noise. Cops showed up and arrested him for DUI. Justification was keys in the ignition even though he probably never planned on driving anywhere. His history Im sure didnt help the situation.
StoopidMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 05:07 AM   #59 (permalink)
Banned

Member # 7772
20 hours and 2000 views, and no one has come up with an answer as to where the law has authority in this situation.

Gee I wonder what's wrong with this scenario.
EverNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 05:31 AM   #60 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Went out with a friend at a bar 50 miles from home and I was supposed to be the dd. Well I drank to much and 20 minutes into the drive home I suggested we should pull over

Woke up at 9.30 the next morning off the side of the road with the truck still running and in gear nudged up against the hillside.
2big bronco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 06:30 AM   #61 (permalink)
Surgical Shotgunner

Member # 111524
this whole thread is nothing if not proof that DWI laws have absolutely nothing to do with public safety and everything to do with revenue generation.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:44 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 2578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas97 View Post
this whole thread is nothing if not proof that DWI laws have absolutely nothing to do with public safety and everything to do with revenue generation.
Most of this thread is complete BS.
Realsquash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 151949
a few years back there was a guy in my province who got a dui and resisting charge when the RC's found him stuck in the ditch drunk. ended up getting out of the dui but not the resisting charge
judge said there was no way for him to drive out of the ditch so he didn't have control of the vehicle.

https://www.pressreader.com/
gerber boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #64 (permalink)

Member # 151949
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerber boy View Post
a few years back there was a guy in my province who got a dui and resisting charge when the RC's found him stuck in the ditch drunk. ended up getting out of the dui but not the resisting charge
judge said there was no way for him to drive out of the ditch so he didn't have control of the vehicle.

https://www.pressreader.com/
link wont work.
Attached Images

gerber boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #65 (permalink)

Member # 700186
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverNoob View Post
20 hours and 2000 views, and no one has come up with an answer as to where the law has authority in this situation.

There are 50 different answers for 50 different states. Probably a lot more answers after that when you get local laws as well.
Buck Wild Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 07:07 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:

https://www.wkbn.com/news/national-w...tly/1679926827

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 07:24 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 192237
Quote:

[oprah] You're a criminal! You're a criminal! You're a criminal! Everyone's a criminal! [/oprah]
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 07:24 AM   #68 (permalink)
GIJEEPN

Member # 135100
Send a message via ICQ to DriverJC Send a message via Yahoo to DriverJC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota97 View Post
California we have to prove the person that is under the influence is or has been driving while under the influence. 40300.5vc is the code in California that gets u caught up when ur just in or around a car. But without proof or admittance that u were driving we canít just arrest someone for dui.
While this may very well be true the enforcement of this is much different. I have physically been to court twice with one of the Marines under my charge for sleeping in the back seat of his car in the bar parking lot in San Clamente during the late 90s.

The first time the kid had the keys on his person while sleeping in the back seat. During the trial the lawyer showed security camera footage from the bar that showed him getting into the back seat to sleep and approximately 30 minutes later he is harassed by the cop (still in the same spot). The judge found him guilty of DUI saying that since he had the keys on him he had the "intention to drive".

The second time he was popped, he was again sleeping in the back seat of the car, but this time he locked his keys in the trunk thinking that since the Judge pointed out that he couldn't have the keys on his person that this would be good. Still no joy. This time he had the key fob in his pocket so that when he sobered up he could get the keys out of the trunk. This time the Judge told him that since he had the key fob in his pocket and he could get the keys if he wanted them he still had the "intention to drive".

This incident, and many others like it, was the catalyst that drove MAG39 to adopt an "Arrive Alive" program. Where, if you are out on the town and have a drink, you call a cab and have them deliver you to the MAG Headquarters where you will be given a rack for the night. The next day when you have sobered up you go back to work. No recriminations, No judgements, just pay the cab bill when it comes.

I've also seen the Rancho Cucamonga Police, again in the late 90's, try to arrest people at a house party for DUI stating that since they drove to the house for the party, they had the intention of driving home, thus DUI. The only thing that stopped them from being arrested was my sober ass having the keys to everyone's car.

Let me tell you that WAS NOT A GOOD NIGHT.

Joel.

DriverJC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 3007
^ Pretty much if the cops want to get you for a DUI and know the judge will back it, they can find a way. Hell anymore a DD inside a bar can probably blow above the legal limits since they are so damn low everywhere.

Not condoning drinking and driving, just that the laws are so strict I am unsure how bars stay in business and people aren't scared to leave the house. Hell I can get a DUI on my bicycle from what I was told by other locals.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 07:55 AM   #70 (permalink)

Member # 198851
Depending on the statistics you look at, drunk drivers may cause 20,000 vehicle deaths a year..Add this many times more seriously injured ...It's a wonder that drunk drivers are not shot on sight...
ADChevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #71 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realsquash View Post
Most of this thread is complete BS.
True, and anyone who takes what's posted in this thread as the world at large isn't too bright.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 08:00 AM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
I've slept in my flat fender jeep in the parking lot a few times. Never thought anything of it. You would think they would rather see you asleep in the parking lot instead of trying to drive cross eyed down the road.

I guess if they said something, I could just say "I don't have the keys". Which would be true, as it doesn't have a key start

I was honestly more worried that some homeless guy would try to go through my pockets for my wallet/phone.
you're acting like the primary function of DUI laws is not revenue generation.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #73 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
True, and anyone who takes what's posted in this thread as the world at large isn't too bright.
irony is ironical

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2019, 08:27 AM   #74 (permalink)

Member # 86724
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
yeah, it's complete bullshit alright.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/national-w...tly/1679926827

Quote:
And as far as sleeping it off anywhere inside a car? Moore says, no way.

"There's no such thing as sleeping it off. Maybe at home in a safe place where you don't have to worry about the vehicle...to get a ride home."
that's the reality of law enforcement today.
I've spoken with older people that tell me it used to be the cops would take you home.
now they'd much rather give you a ticket that costs you thousands of dollars. Shit, the blllboards here don't say shit about how drunk driving might kill someone, just that a DUI ticket will cost you 10 thousand dollars.

Old 04-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 1889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Wild Racing View Post
Not exactly the same thing. But my college buddy got a DUI on roller blades after he decided not to drive to the bar.
My school had a get-together with the campus cops, they advised at the time (1993) that you could get a DUI on a bicycle, but rollerblades and skateboards weren't "vehicles", they were "toys" and as such, you could get a drunk-in-public or disorderly-conduct, but not a DUI, on either of them. Granted, roadrash from skating drunk was pretty likely, but it seemed (at least at the time) that the cops were content to let you punish yourself in that situation.

The "control and access" thing seems to me (re: my prior post in this thread) that if you can get a DUI on a bicycle, and you are drunk and near a bicycle, you could be charged with DUI that way too, and walking your bicycle home drunk (as I might've done a few times many years back, because I knew it'd be irresponsible to ride drunk) is just as DUI in the eyes of the law as getting behind the wheel. Is that not absurd?
Scott@Rockstomper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in