Accident at EJS? - Page 22 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Premium Memberships
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #526 (permalink)

Member # 13420
Quote:
Originally Posted by rixride View Post
Good news is Laura was released from the hospital today, wanna thank St. Marry's in Grand Junction, true miracle workers there! CareFlight Astar helicopter crew, Grand County Sheriff's Office, and of course Red Rock 4-wheelers.

3 surgeries in were hopeful her left leg is out of danger and within 10-12 weeks will heal enough to start using, our biggest fear is infection since some bones ended up on the outside.

Laura is wheelchair bound for 6-8 weeks during this healing process, while multiple back, hip, and right leg fractures heal, right knee and shoulder surgeries are postponed for now.

We're blessed she's alive and excited to have her home!

PEACE!

RW.
Keep us updated. I hope the best for her.

Always take a poison word as a promise.
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2019, 07:26 PM   #527 (permalink)

Member # 95763
I heard through the grapevine that usually people die at EJS every year and they "cover it up."

Any truth to this?
KarlVP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2019, 08:48 PM   #528 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlVP View Post
I heard through the grapevine that usually people die at EJS every year and they "cover it up."

Any truth to this?
Who are ďtheyĒ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mbryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #529 (permalink)

Member # 95763
Don't know. That's why I thought it was preposterous.
KarlVP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2019, 10:15 PM   #530 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
People die at all kinds of events. It’s an unfortunate side effect of the off-road community. Usually involves no seatbelt or drunk driving. I don’t think it’s necessarily covered up but it isnt advertised either. My ex-wife used to freak out every time a helicopter landed in Johnson Valley during a big event.

I haven’t really been paying attention to this since it started, is the guy still blogging?

Companies helping me get dirty:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Blaine

:tank:

Last edited by Beat95YJ; 05-15-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2019, 01:56 AM   #531 (permalink)

Member # 711946
news - deaths - moab - mountain bikes, side x sides - jeeps - bicyclers - bungee jumpers - the unluckies

play hard + take risk =>chance of death / drugs and drinks are a factor

https://www.navbug.com/utah/fatal_accidents_in_moab.htm

Two killed in off-road accidents | News | moabsunnews.com

https://www.sltrib.com/news/courts/2...h-sue-polaris/

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...nd-spills.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBCVRoHOMHA
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2019, 04:31 AM   #532 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Hell, someone dies at just about every big mud event around here and that's on flat ground with no rocks. Alcohol related 99% of the time.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2019, 06:00 AM   #533 (permalink)

Member # 118035
At Bigs Dogs in Gore, VA a person dies every year, atleast.

Shit, one of the first times i went there, circa 2004 i think? A guy died in his RV just from alcohol poisoning.

I cant count how many times ive seen the helicopter land there.
Unread 05-16-2019, 06:19 AM   #534 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Only event I've been to where someone died was due to a heart attack. Someone brought the father-in-law Jeeping and ramped up the ol' ticket too tightly.

I did see a woman get her nose ripped off. Seen lots of other really horrible injuries from flying limbs getting crushed during roll overs. Also had a friend who brought out this girl he had just started seeing. She had a full on, bite-her-tongue-off seizure as we slowly drove up a hill on a main road. That was super crazy. Thank god her brother was in my Jeep and knew what to do.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2019, 07:45 AM   #535 (permalink)

Member # 83301
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATRKS84 View Post
At Bigs Dogs in Gore, VA a person dies every year, atleast.

Shit, one of the first times i went there, circa 2004 i think? A guy died in his RV just from alcohol poisoning.

I cant count how many times ive seen the helicopter land there.
for what they charge to wheel there, they should have a doctor on site...
Unread 05-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #536 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 11615
Send a message via Yahoo to Harvester of Sorrow
WHERE IS THE FUCKING VIDEO....????

I don't want to see the poor lady getting hurt, I want to see all of the shit before that. I want to see what asshat mistakes AmericanJeeper made.

Where is the god damn video?
Harvester of Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #537 (permalink)

Member # 118035
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniaboy View Post
for what they charge to wheel there, they should have a doctor on site...
no shit. $300 plus for a full big dogs weekend.
Unread 05-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #538 (permalink)

Member # 116193
I'm one of those lurkers. I have learned a ton in the last bunch of years lurking.

Too bad this self aggrandizing, show off, you tube hero, nearly killed someone.

Personally, I could watch these type of jackasses crash their $75k rigs all day just for the fun of it. It is what they deserve, and what they are asking for. It is why this one sucks, would have been great if no one got hurt.

Prayers, and justice, to the victims, and the perpetrators
crollg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #539 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Dude has a crooked mouth, just like that Maddow hag and just like a lot of those democrats. Never trust a crooked mouth.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2019, 07:12 PM   #540 (permalink)

Member # 16505
Send a message via AIM to 92 Green YJ Send a message via Yahoo to 92 Green YJ
Quote:

Any truth to this?
Wouldnít surprise me. Wheeling is a risky activity. We all know this. I know for a fact we have had a death at TDS every year for at least the past 5 years. Imperial county sheriffs have really cracked down on the drinking enforcement out there during tds weekend. Most of the deaths and serious injuries happen at the notches late at night when everyone is hammered and being stupid. Similar to this tragedy. Many many intoxicated yahoos standing where they shouldnít be, more drunk yahoos behind the wheels of their rigs with impaired judgement wanting to show off for the spectators.

Personally, anything in life worth doing involves some measure of risk. I do what I can to keep myself and my family as safe as possible while wheeling, but I recognize the unexpected can happen at any time.
Unread 05-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #541 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
As far as EJS officials go, we are REQUIRED to have a zero tolerance policy on the trails on official runs. BLM (and likely insurance) require us to state that as part of our drivers meeting along with other tread lightly principles.

mbryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2019, 08:27 PM   #542 (permalink)

Member # 546994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester of Sorrow View Post
WHERE IS THE FUCKING VIDEO....????

I don't want to see the poor lady getting hurt, I want to see all of the shit before that. I want to see what asshat mistakes AmericanJeeper made.

Where is the god damn video?
The video I saw doesnít show the impact of the woman, just the shitty diving of American Jeeper. I will ask why he hasnít posted the video on YouTube yet. Itís not technically a friend of mine but an acquaintance. Only met the guy three times....found it weird he showed up to our Jeep night out of no where.
HOGGSTATUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2019, 08:10 AM   #543 (permalink)

Member # 124256
Local Moab media source.

http://www.moabsunnews.com/news/arti...7e05fdaf6.html

Story Highlights
Elko, Nevada, resident released from hospital following Jeep Safari accident

Facebook
Twitter
SMS
Email
Save
Elko, Nevada, resident Laura Neumann is healing.

On April 14, Neumann and her family were on the Golden Spike trail for a day of off-roading at Jeep Safari when a driver lost control of a Jeep and careened into the crowd. Neumann, 48, was run over as the Jeep crashed into a crevasse below the trail.

Neumann and her family said an orthodontist and a nurse who were on the trail kept her stable until emergency crews arrived within 15 to 20 minutes. Grand County Search and Rescue responded immediately to the call, but Classic Air Medical was able to get there first and Laura was flown to St. Mary’s Medical Center in Grand Junction, Colorado, for emergency surgery. Her injuries were extensive, including damage to her hip, back and a compound fracture in her left leg.

advertisement
“We were about three-quarters of the way through (the trail),” Neumann said. “One of the Jeeps went over an obstacle and made a U-turn toward the crowd. I couldn’t get out of the way fast enough and he ran me over.”

Neumann’s niece, Aubrey Clum, reached out to the Moab Sun News for an interview to share their story and clear up some misinformation. Clum said the family has hired an attorney to look into the accident. An eyewitness to the accident also offered information, but he asked to remain anonymous.

“Several vehicles were doing a rather hairy obstacle,” the witness said. “It’s sort of a two-part obstacle; imagine a small turtle on top of a big turtle. [The Jeep] had a little bit of difficulty getting over that top part.”

The witness said the driver was then supposed to drive down off the rest of the obstacle slowly. At the end, he came down off the side of it and at that point, he was “doing something that no one had instructed him or told him to do,” the witness said.

Instead of braking and slowly moving off the obstacle, the witness said the driver continued to accelerate toward “some rather ugly drop-offs.”

“In the process he then took a hard left turn,” he said. “There were people standing over in that direction. They scattered and one woman [Neumann] could not get out of the way in time and he either knocked her down or hit her right before he then went into [a] big crack, which stopped him completely. When it did come to a stop, the woman, you could see her in between his two tires.”

The Jeep in the accident was identified as a 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL driven by a Kansas-based YouTube content producer, Jeremy Felts, who goes by the username @Americanjeeper. The Moab Sun News reached out to him for comment but did not receive a reply. His last picture shared to the social media site Instagram is from April 13, the day before the accident. It has received over 200 comments.

The driver did comment on a post on jlwranglerforums.com to address some of the rumors that have been going around and said, “I’m certain there are a million questions, some of which may never be answered. There is quite a bit of misinformation going around that unfortunately I am not in a position to correct presently. As you can imagine there is a lot going on with this, and feel it best to leave it at that for the time being as I work through things, try my best to stay positive, and cope with the aftermath.”

It’s no secret that watching Jeeps perform highly technical maneuvers on off-road trails poses risks. That said, some online forums have been less than sympathetic to Neumann’s circumstances, even blaming her for the accident.

The Moab Sun News asked the witness if any of the bystanders were in an area that would have been reasonably dangerous.

“There absolutely were not people in an area that would have been dangerous under normal circumstances,” he said. “Everybody was a pretty good distance away. Again, it was very strange, particularly that after the odd accelerating and coming down in an unusual and dangerous fashion off this enormous obstacle then continuing to accelerate … that’s what sent him into areas where people were standing.”

While speculation is rampant and some have thought that Neumann’s leg was severed during the crash, the surgeons at St. Mary’s Medical Center were able to save it.

Jeep Safari is certainly no stranger to crashes and injuries.

Moab is known for its world class off-roading trails and unforgiving desert environment. During the Jeep Safari event each year, the local population explodes, and with so many people vying for the same space, accidents do happen.

Grand County Emergency Medical Services (EMS) posted a video to its Facebook page to help people stay safe and the video highlighted some of the common causes of injury. In total, Grand County EMS said it responded to 42 calls during Jeep Safari, a quarter of which were vehicle accidents.

Still, they said that the chances of getting hurt during Jeep Safari are “really, really low.”

In the meantime, Neumann said her recovery is going well. She’s not walking quite yet, but was released from St. Mary’s Medical Center on May 4 after a knee reconstruction surgery and at least two podiatric surgeries. She’s now back home with her friends and family in Elko.

advertisement
“I’m healing, doing good, I’m positive,” Neumann said by phone. “It’s gonna take some time, but I’m so thankful to the Red Rock 4-Wheelers and the others who helped us.”

It will be a long road to recovery, though. Due to the extent of her injuries, she may need additional surgeries, as well as physical therapy and household mobility modifications.

Despite all of this, she said she is determined to get back to what she loves: being outdoors.

In talking with her family, she said they will “definitely be back at some point for Jeep Safari, if not next year.”

Neumann offered a thank you message to those who have helped her so far.

“Shout out to Grand County Sheriff’s department and the (Classic Air Medical) helicopter,” she said. “I also want to thank Dr. Gammon for putting me at ease mentally and physically while I was there by myself.”

She also offered the same message of thanks to the bystanders who were on the trail at the scene.

“They’re my absolute heroes,” she said.

Clum has established a GoFundMe account for Neumann to help pay for her medical bills, which can be found at https://www.gofundme.com/lauras-journey-to-recovery.

Last edited by redneck ron; 05-18-2019 at 08:10 AM.
redneck ron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #544 (permalink)

Member # 13420
Quote:

Any truth to this?
The only place I have heard "don't go there unless you want to watch some drunk kill himself" was the dunes near Fallon referring to the drunk motorcycle crowd that launch themselves out into space at high velocities.

Always take a poison word as a promise.
SilverZuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #545 (permalink)
Master Baiter

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
"don't go there unless you want to watch some drunk kill himself" - Fallon
this should be on a billboard or highway sign sponsored by the Fallon Tourism Board

up is difficult, down is dangerous

The largest tax modification in 30 years, check it out!

Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #546 (permalink)

Member # 546994
Here you fine gentlemen go....
https://youtu.be/IVjN6co2EV8
HOGGSTATUS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #547 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverZuk View Post
The only place I have heard "don't go there unless you want to watch some drunk kill himself" was the dunes near Fallon referring to the drunk motorcycle crowd that launch themselves out into space at high velocities.
Sand mountain.

There is typically a death or two every busy weekend.
Unread 05-18-2019, 08:55 AM   #548 (permalink)

Member # 34865
Havenít read this whole thread. But Easter weekends are a big deal at little Sahara sand dunes in Utah also. Have been since I was a kid. When I was in my early twenties local law decided they were sick of the drunken carnage and cracked down on it. People died every Easter. Sometimes more than one. They have a big Leo show of force now and it has helped immensely. Personally I donít wheel with people who drink. I think it is just an accident waiting to happen. Get drunk when you go back to camp or your hotel. Donít put others at risk. Iíve seen more than my share of stupidity on trails with drunk people.
Unread 05-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #549 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 66684
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGGSTATUS View Post
Here you fine gentlemen go....
https://youtu.be/IVjN6co2EV8

Looks like someone mashed the wrong pedal

Unread 05-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #550 (permalink)

Member # 45202
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2big bronco View Post
Looks like someone mashed the wrong pedal
This.

Dude wasnít showing off, he fucked up and grabbed the brake pedal in a panic situation. Shitty deal, but that was a complete accident.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in