Accident at EJS? - Page 25 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2019, 08:52 PM   #601 (permalink)

Member # 860424
Ima guess drive by wire combined with turbo lag and lack experience. Im not claiming to have been able to do any better but I didn't attempt to do it in the first place.
M92pv4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 08:55 PM   #602 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
Originally Posted by M92pv4u View Post
Ima guess drive by wire combined with turbo lag and lack experience. Im not claiming to have been able to do any better but I didn't attempt to do it in the first place.
Did his have the 4 banger with turbo?
charlieboyd65 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #603 (permalink)

Member # 860424
Now that you mention it Not sure but the one I drove did.

Last edited by M92pv4u; 05-18-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #604 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
I wouldn't consider turbo lag a good excuse either. Plenty of guys out there driving turbo'd crawlers and not driving like they're having a seizure.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:08 PM   #605 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
How did you like the turbo'd 4 cylinder? Have you driven the new v6? Just curious about a comparison.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #606 (permalink)

Member # 53528
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieboyd65 View Post
You know, you're absolutely right. And, of course I have thought about that. I just would never treat someone like that, especially someone who was respectful, polite, and has put in the blood, sweat and tears to build their rigs (not a credit card cowboy), so it really didn't sit well with me. Realistically, the beginning of the end for me was when they closed down dump bump and lions back. Followed shortly by, "show up on the Tuesday before EJS starts if you want a decent camp spot in a public campground. Followed closely thereafter by people with Rubicon's that have a vehicle far more capable then their skill or balls, and someone has to constantly rescue/winch/baby them. Followed ever yet by the goddamn state of Utah found out that Moab has Mtn Biking trails and the whole damn place is like being in a mosh pit every weekend of the year that isn't boiling or freezing. And lastly, followed by bystanders getting run over.

Look, I'm sure that guy feels absolutely terrible about what happened, and I actually feel for him that he has to live with that. I'm just glad the lady is alive and will probably keep her leg (for both their sake's). People will say I'm a meanie for talking shit. But, people will do stupid shit if they're over confident. And, I've met a lot of this new breed of Rubicon wheelers that are. Sometimes you need to ego-check people for the sake of safety.

Also, Moab is an absolutely amazing place. I've jeeped there, rock climbed there, mountain biked, dirt biked, been on the river, taken the kids to Arches, Canyonlands, etc. It's amazing, but now everyone knows about it, and it's just a pain to go there now. I read an article in which the mayor is stating he's frustrated because they have a certain allotment of money from the state, and X percentage has to be spent on tourism marketing. But, they are so overrun with tourism and the lack of infrastructure to handle it, that he really doesn't want to spend millions to further the tourism marketing and make the problem even worse. It's crazy.
back when i used to actually wheel i almost always did it on weekdays when no else was around fawk all the nonsense that is associated with large groups of people

especially fawk holiday weekends, ill be at home
rockyota83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 09:12 PM   #607 (permalink)

Member # 860424
My sister in law has the tubro version its the only jeep I've ever driven so I don't have a comparison. Also the only non N/A vehicle I've ever driven. So I'm not going to be much help.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #608 (permalink)

Member # 2147
Send a message via AIM to mbryson Send a message via MSN to mbryson
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
just to play devils advocate

do you really think that one guy you ran into represents all of the club and how all of the other members would treat people in that situation? im betting most wouldnt have acted that way, he was probably just one of those dicks that wants to feel special which is why he was "the leader" dont judge the whole group based on the actions of one individual

They have been trying to weed out trail leaders like that since Iíve been involved. Iíve been involved the last 11 years as a volunteer. The bulk of the volunteers just want to ďgive backĒ to the sport by teaching/showing Tread Lightly principles and giving the BLM a voice for how they want the trails run.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mbryson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 09:19 PM   #609 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyota83 View Post
back when i used to actually wheel i almost always did it on weekdays when no else was around fawk all the nonsense that is associated with large groups of people

especially fawk holiday weekends, ill be at home
It's insane there now. We went a couple weeks before EJS. The weekend was cold and rainy, and generally kinda nasty. The town was still nuts. It's a minimum hour wait at Milt's burger joint for a to go order. No camping spots in town.

We always camp out by BFE now, because there ain't shit out there other than hard core wheeling, and not so much anymore with the BFE closure. But, at least, we know we can camp and not be overrun by mountain bikers and side by sides. We took the JK this year, because we have toddlers, and we were more into hitting the national parks and easier trails (fins and things as it turns out ). So, it's not like we're camping out there so we can get up and run Rear Steer (fka Big Balls) in the morning.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:30 PM   #610 (permalink)

Member # 31211
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbryson View Post
They have been trying to weed out trail leaders like that since Iíve been involved. Iíve been involved the last 11 years as a volunteer. The bulk of the volunteers just want to ďgive backĒ to the sport by teaching/showing Tread Lightly principles and giving the BLM a voice for how they want the trails run.
These days I can't imagine trying to teach/educate all the folks that go out and buy a new Rubicon, drop a few months salary on bolt on crap, and then have to try to wrangle in that ego on a vacation where they think they are going to show everyone how awesome their rig is. I'm sure that's a tough job. Kudos to the trail leaders (that are nice to the OGs). I'd pull my hair out.

Had several times where a couple Rubicon owners got in over there heads and wanted to tag along with my buddy and I to get off the trail. We always oblige and are nice about it, but damn, do a little homework first, ya know. I worry more about some stupid little thing happening with my rig and getting stranded in the back country much more than denting/ripping sheet metal or breaking ujoints. I can replace a u joint lickety split, but I absolutely hate wiring gremlins. It's like black magic to me. If I ever die in the back country in my trailer queen rig, it will be due to an electrical short I couldn't figure out, and ran out of water to drink.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #611 (permalink)
JR
OG13 King

Member # 8524
Video is down already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #612 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
Video is down already.

this video is still up

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 01:46 AM   #613 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Video of a video with no sound? Is this Brazil or China or some other 3rd world shithole on liveleak?

On a positive note, that cameraman was in a bad spot to start with and I was glad to see him move.
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 04:09 AM   #614 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
Did his have the 4 banger with turbo?
Never would have happened with an AMC 4.0 forged from the same source as Thor's Hammer.

Steady and sure...

Tigerchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #615 (permalink)

Member # 81613
At least the video of the video was not taken in portrait mode.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 06:51 AM   #616 (permalink)

Member # 124967
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
At least the video of the video was not taken in portrait mode.
With handcream and tissue box nowhere to be seen.
Tigerchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 07:51 AM   #617 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provience View Post
That. Is some serious shitty driving right there. Musta knocked himself out on the dash or steering wheel to drive that out of control.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #618 (permalink)
Wheeling 24/7

Member # 22176
Quote:
How much turbo lag do you think this thing has? He was clearly in it for 20 seconds. The guy did not know how to drive. You bump up the obstacle and take your foot off the gas. It ainít rocket surgery.

After watching the synergy guys wheel their turbo two door, there isnít a lot of lag anyways. Maybe if the guy had a T4 strapped to the side of the engine...

Companies helping me get dirty:

& Blaine

:tank:
Beat95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 08:44 AM   #619 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 53453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post
How much turbo lag do you think this thing has? He was clearly in it for 20 seconds. The guy did not know how to drive. You bump up the obstacle and take your foot off the gas. It ainít rocket surgery.

After watching the synergy guys wheel their turbo two door, there isnít a lot of lag anyways. Maybe if the guy had a T4 strapped to the side of the engine...
It's not just the turbo lag, it's the drive by wire lag, which if you read the interwebs you will know feels similar to trying to get a turbo off a train to light on a Honda lawnmower.

DirtyComanche is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 08:49 AM   #620 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat95YJ View Post

maybe he thinks turbo lag is the lag time it takes the engine to wind down after full throttle

IMO, the driver just panicked and didn't recover

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 09:04 AM   #621 (permalink)

Member # 1792
Quote:
Yes, I do realize that. We misread the schedule with the date/trail. Even told the guy that. He was still a cunt.

And by the way, this litigious mindset of, "I have the right, so I should exercise it," is one of many things wrong with our country. I have to right to say horrible things at random to people. The first amendment gives me this right, but 99.9% of the time I choose not to exercise that right. Remind me to never buy a house next door to you.

But seriously, there are ways to handle things. We weren't out there in new JKs with $1,200 light bars. Our piles are homemade, but built to flat out work. (Fins was always our warmup/shakedown run in Moab). We're from the old guard of built, not bought. He could have said, "Look man, you don't look like your average dipshit, but it'll be an issue if I let you run this trail backwards today. I hate to ask, but can you help me out and head back the way you came and run another trail?" I would be bummed, but I would wouldn't be talkin shit 10 years later. Would it kill a muthafuckle to be courteous? I was to him.

If I wanted to be a dick, I could have parked at a chokepoint just down the way, taken my rear driveshaft off, waited an hour for them and just walked off and left my Jeep on the trail and said it was broke and I went to get parts. Could have fucked a lot of poeples' day. But, I didn't. Sure a Ranger would come by and browbeat me, but ultimately, it would be hard to prove I didn't break that ujoint that I went to town to get and have a receipt for a new one.
I'm not saying the guy was in the right. I've dealt with my share of assholes in Moab during EJS. Hence why I don't go on their runs.
And I think you would like to be my neighbor. I wheel homebuilt junk myself. There is even a build thread on here and CO4x4. Hell let's wheel.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #622 (permalink)
Wheeler

Member # 230823
Looks to me like he jabbed the throttle instead of the brake. Kept pressing harder and harder thinking it was the brake and really panicked.
Twankie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #623 (permalink)

Member # 212988
OK So bottom line if the guy just did an LS swap instead of buying bolt-ones it wouldn't have happened?
HankScorpi0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #624 (permalink)

Member # 377
Classic whiskey throttle.
east_beast is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #625 (permalink)

Member # 40266
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpi0 View Post
OK So bottom line if the guy just did an LS swap instead of buying bolt-ones it wouldn't have happened?
only if he did the swap himself and actually welded the new motor mounts. otherwise, it's still just bolt ons

[/COLOR]
[CENTER][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"]"For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"[/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
paragon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in