Tire balancing experience, latest and greatest, balls, powder, beads? - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 11:09 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 619097
Uh why not fix the parking problem?
#1SomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #27 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
I ran 6 golf balls in each tire on my drivers. It was a nice smooth ride. I had a blowout on the freeway and those fuckers flat went flying..... At about half life of the tires, I started getting a pretty good shake. I pulled the golf balls and most were ok, but some were swelling and egg shaped. Once they were out, I had a smoother ride, but not as smooth as when they were new. This was in 11r24.5.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:49 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 7412
if you jack it up, just spin the tire and take a good look at it.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 777073
I do have access to a tire truing machine. I have had out of round tires before. It could be part of the problem but this doesn't feel like that.
Still, That is a good testing point.

My tires are square and flat and worn evenly, no cupping, no feathering. Nice and square, but then they should be as they are re balanced and rotated every 1000 miles since new just to keep them in some kind of balance.

I ordered actual counteract balancing beads. Figured if I was going to try airsoft, why not just try the best that was designed to go in there.
Read one thread where the guy swears going from airsoft (which is was mostly happy with) to actual balancing beads was tremendously better.

Figure I will try with the weights still intact.

Then I will pull the weights if it isn't fixed.

then maybe I will put it on the truing machine.

Would love to fix my parking problem, but should I really have to?

Was thinking about golf balls, I think that will be my last ditch effort. Trucking company here TMC tested them extensively. Worked for them. But that is taller tires with less revs per mile.
Which I also think affects powders vs beads.
Still learning.

Or maybe Antifreeze will be the last ditch effort. When I think of antifreeze I think of my son using green slime in his bronco tires and how they would never balance and we had to clean them out by hand and the mess it made.

Love the feedback though guys, Thanks.
tiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #30 (permalink)

Member # 619097
Parking for long time causes flat spots. Flat spots cause unbalanced tires (or more specifically out of round tires).
So you think that balancing and putting golf balls in will fix your problem? Rather than just getting the weight off the wheels or parking in some little cup shaped wood wedges or some shit?
Old 04-22-2019, 12:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
why i am here?

Member # 41146
I run airsoft pellets in my 2500HD that sits for weeks at a time and never had an issue.

tried BB's in a past truck and they did not work nearly as well as the airsoft pellets do.

plan on using them on my car i am building in hopes to keep any unsightly wheel weights off the wheels, but never used them on that small of a tire.
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy View Post
Parking for long time causes flat spots. Flat spots cause unbalanced tires (or more specifically out of round tires).
So you think that balancing and putting golf balls in will fix your problem? Rather than just getting the weight off the wheels or parking in some little cup shaped wood wedges or some shit?
Well I don't know. I don't know if they are even flat spotted or if that is the problem to begin with.

But motorcycles, boat trailers, ATVs. People store classic cars all the time for 6 plus months and don't have problems without jacking them off the ground.
So why am I?

Re balancing does take away the feeling of whatever the problem is, so why can't one of these dynamic balancing solutions do the same thing?
Old 04-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #33 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
Donít run pound on weights with the balancing beads. It doesnít work. Strip them off and the try again.
This.
I am not even sure how they can spin balance the tires with the equal in there.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 01:47 PM   #34 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
This.
I am not even sure how they can spin balance the tires with the equal in there.

They can't. I am aware of that.
I am taking tires that were really close, lost balance slightly and trying to recover or make the balance better.

If it comes down to spin balancing, yes all of the internal media, whatever type it is, will have to be removed.

I'm running off the premise at this point that you cannot add too much balancing agent.
Which may or may not be true depending on who you ask.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #35 (permalink)

Member # 619097
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiha View Post
Well I don't know. I don't know if they are even flat spotted or if that is the problem to begin with.

But motorcycles, boat trailers, ATVs. People store classic cars all the time for 6 plus months and don't have problems without jacking them off the ground.
So why am I?

Re balancing does take away the feeling of whatever the problem is, so why can't one of these dynamic balancing solutions do the same thing?
I think the general recommendation in those cases is to inflate them above normal operating PSI (like if you run 35psi, put them to 45-50psi or whatever is close to max on sidewall) so that they hold their shape better.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 107967
I wanna see this building that doesn't have 2" of clearance so you can jack it up.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #37 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukemaggots View Post
I wanna see this building that doesn't have 2" of clearance so you can jack it up.
Really? this is what you guys focus on? gotta love pirate.

I guess I am supposed to over inflate them for storage, dang never read that in any manual ever. Is that what the tire manufacturer recommends?

So lets try to refocus. I had to have them re spun 3 times last summer over the 5200 miles I put on it because they started to lose balance.
And it felt perfect each time they were done.

That is 5200 miles over 3 weeks.

So are flat spots an issue at that point?

What do I need to do to keep them in balance for 3 weeks and 5200 miles? While being driven almost everyday.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:56 PM   #38 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Now for an interesting note.

I am removing the Equal right now and installing the Counteract beads.
I took out 6 oz. of Equal, and I am installing 5 oz of Counteract as recommended on their website. Actually I think they recommended 4 but I got 5 oz bags. So I am dumping it all.

But this time I added up the weights on the wheels, RR 9 ounces. LR 6 ounces.
So something going on with the RR? Maybe?

Also, you wouldn't think removing those 6 ounces but only adding 5 inside the tire is adequate but did anyone else read about how it is more efficient so it takes less dynamic balancing the inside of the tire as opposed to weights on the rim?
Because the lead weight is the sidewall distance away from where it needs to be as opposed to being inside the tire the weight is exactly where it needs to be?
Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 PM   #39 (permalink)
RSL

Member # 35895
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've used coolant with good success on 8 tires now. Calculated how much weight I needed for bb's and then used that amount by weight of coolant. Much cheaper and easier to install. Also helps to prevent rim rust.
Ditto. I use winter windshield washer fluid.

Fluid also acts as a coolant dispersing the heat around the tire to prevent hot spots.
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Radial tires don't get flat spots like bias ply tires do.

And even with Bias ply tires that get flat spots after sitting they go away after driving a few miles.

Last edited by Filthy McChevy; 04-22-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Filthy McChevy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 05:20 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Ditto. I use winter windshield washer fluid.
Awesome that works for you, but be cautious, In case you didn't know winter washer fluid has lots of Methanol or other types of alcohol. usually 40-60%
When the tire warms up the alcohol vaporizes long before any of the other liquids in there.
So now you have a highly pressurized flammable vapor.
Just be careful when dismounting or deflating the tire, that is for the same reason you are suppose to warn the tire shop if you use a can of fix a flat in your tire.
It is essentially a bomb.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:48 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 14620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel View Post
These being surplus MTs who knows. I have wondered about broken belts. Is there a way to check, other than looking for bumps?
Jack the vehicle up, spin the tire, put your hand on the tread and feel for high spots along the width of the tire. Use a metal rod or some other tool instead of your hand if wires are showing. Duh!

Why are we talking tech in GCC?

Last edited by BamaJeeper; 04-23-2019 at 05:52 AM.
BamaJeeper is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 07:18 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Had some interesting things to note.

Counteract balancing beads. Pretty good stuff so far.
I removed the Equal, which I didn't expect to work but tried it. I expected the same results from the beads. I was completely surprised.

The slight shimmy caused by the equal doesn't happen with the counteract beads. Probably has to do with the amount of mass you put in there which I think would have happened with airsoft BB.

You can feel the beads working. When you reach a speed and there is a vibration you can feel the vibration go away. Not completely, and I hope that is other reasons I haven't found yet. But you couldn't feel the change with equal so I know this stuff is working far better.

My problem is not completely solved but it is a lot better. I get a slight vibration at all speeds that I never had before. I always had clear speeds where it would just float but now there is a slight vibration at every speed.

Definitely much more impressed with counteract beads than equal. But we use Equal in big trucks and it works great. So it is a good product. Just not for this.

One thing I did last night was add up the weight on each rim .
RR was 9 ounces 8 ounces in the center (tape weight) and 1 ounce on the rim edge.
LR was 6 ounces. 5 in the center and 1 on the rim edge
LF was 5 ounces 4.5 in center and .5 on rim edge.
RF was 4 ounces all in the center.
Obviously the tape weights in the center of the rim are of offset a heavy spot on the other end of the tire. Whether if be from manufacturing defect, mis mount or, our flat spot. I suppose it could be the rim itself. (which is why I don't want to pull them yet.)
But the old tape weights that have been removed in the past are from very close locations, so the odds of parking in the same spot every time to create a flat spot in the same place is pretty rare. If it was a flat spot from storage I would imagine the tape weights would be in different places around the rim instead of the same general area.

So now I am not sure whether to remove the weights and try it for fun, or to try and true up the tires at the same time I remove them.

I think it is safe to remove all of the tape weights except the right rear because I only added 5 ounces. That should cover the weights I take off the 3 other wheels.
Maybe I should just pull those three first?

I will be a couple days before I get to work on this again, so I have some time to decide the next best course of action.

But probably put the truing machine up against the tire and spin it to see how bad it is. See if it is a high spot or not.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:44 AM   #44 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
Donít run pound on weights with the balancing beads. It doesnít work. Strip them off and the try again.
Quote:
T Whether if be from manufacturing defect, mis mount or, our flat spot. I suppose it could be the rim itself. (which is why I don't want to pull them yet.)

So now I am not sure whether to remove the weights and try it for fun, or to try and true up the tires at the same time I remove them.

I think it is safe to remove all of the tape weights except the right rear because I only added 5 ounces. That should cover the weights I take off the 3 other wheels.
Maybe I should just pull those three first?
Are you aware that you can't run a stick on lead weight with an internally balancing product, because it sure seems like you are
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
Are you aware that you can't run a stick on lead weight with an internally balancing product, because it sure seems like you are
I am because I have read threads both ways and we know everything on the internet is true.
The only factual information I have is from years ago when i was working with the rep from the Equal manufacturer, IMI. They at that time stated the proper way to use equal in car and pickup tires was get a good static balance on the tire, then add 3 ounces (31x10.50x15) to maintain the balance.
Of course it didn't work. With or without weights, but that was their recommended procedure.

Does any of the manufacturers state to do otherwise? Like actually have it in writing?
I would love to have the recommended procedure from a manufacturer, Then I can call them when it doesn't work.

Besides that is also kind of my plan to remove the weights. Just not sure when.
except the ones on the outer edge of the rim because I think they are there for lateral balance which a dynamic compound cannot do.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:08 AM   #46 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Quote:
I am because I have read threads both ways and we know everything on the internet is true.
The only factual information I have is from years ago when i was working with the rep from the Equal manufacturer, IMI. They at that time stated the proper way to use equal in car and pickup tires was get a good static balance on the tire, then add 3 ounces (31x10.50x15) to maintain the balance.
Of course it didn't work. With or without weights, but that was their recommended procedure.

Does any of the manufacturers state to do otherwise? Like actually have it in writing?
I would love to have the recommended procedure from a manufacturer, Then I can call them when it doesn't work.

Besides that is also kind of my plan to remove the weights. Just not sure when.
except the ones on the outer edge of the rim because I think they are there for lateral balance which a dynamic compound cannot do.
It seems pretty obvious that your current setup ain't gettin' it.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
It seems pretty obvious that your current setup ain't gettin' it.
Nope it's not and it sounds like welndmn's recommendation is to pull the weights and take it for a drive again.

That is what I'm looking for. There is tons of great information here and I hope it helps someone else someday.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:00 AM   #48 (permalink)
Extended Member

Member # 69765
Iíd bet itís the tires being cheap or crummy and flat spotting. Balls wonít fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow my adventures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 12:44 PM   #49 (permalink)
Green bastard

Member # 123458
What's the date of manufacture on the sidewall?
Old 04-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Quote:
Originally Posted by cslimfu View Post
What's the date of manufacture on the sidewall?
1717,2217, and 2 are 0817
Firestone Destination A/T
305/70/16
On Mickey Thompson aluminum rims.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in