Tire balancing experience, latest and greatest, balls, powder, beads? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
I see step one for the Equal product on mounted tires is to remove all weights.
https://yourtireshopsupply.com/media...tity-chart.pdf

Also, if you've been driving on unbalanced tires for a while, they may be so out of round now they may always shake.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #52 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post

Also, if you've been driving on unbalanced tires for a while, they may be so out of round now they may always shake.
Awesome, that was written in 2011. I will yank off the weights, I hope that applies to beads as well as Equal.
Also interesting, the equal made in 2011 is more like sand, today it is more like confetti. Much higher mass. We actually have that installation tool but stopped using it when drop in bags came around. I doubt the new "flexx" equal would flow through it.

Here is the chart for the Flexx product they are selling now.
https://www.imiproducts.com/wp-conte...hart_12.18.pdf

They haven't been unbalanced long, But I am going to set it up on the tire truing machine at some point to check them and true them up anyway.

Last edited by tiha; 04-23-2019 at 01:29 PM.
tiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 136043
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post

Counter Act says to remove all weights also. Curious to see how it works for you. I have a set of tires driving me nuts with balance issue.

Last edited by vrodrex; 04-23-2019 at 01:35 PM.
vrodrex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2019, 01:37 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 777073
I kind of think that is where this is going.

I will yank the weights and test drive the same route again.

then I will jack it up and check for roundness on the truing machine and true them up as needed. Hopefully that will help.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Well I just pulled the lead weights and ran it with 5oz of counteract beads only and I hate it.

Where as before it was smooth up to 70 mph. Now the ride below 60mph is drastically worse. Then the vibrations start at 60 instead of 70 like it before.
After getting up to speed. 70-80 wasn't horrible, it was maybe slightly better. Hard to describe, where as with weights and beads I had slight vibrations all the time through the whole range. Now I have smooth areas like with lead only but the areas that are not smooth are much more severe. Which makes me think not enough balancing agent.
Over 80 it was hoping really bad and would not calm down. Like this I can no longer driver the vehicle over 80 and keep the fillings in my teeth.

another note, the tires sound different. You can hear them now. Now they sound out of round. At least I think so, but it sounds different.

Now while the tires are warm from the test drive I will go shave them and true them up and we will see what that does.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:29 AM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Just a follow up for now.

I trued up the tires, shaved them so they are round. They were not that bad.

Driving after truing them it was a lot better even though they didn't seem far out of round at all. The vibrations I felt where not as often and would calm down. I can also drive over 80 again.
From the driver's seat it seems to be working pretty good but I can still see the 3rd seat shaking so Not sure what it is like back there.
Most people or even dealers don't have a truing machine so this is really not an option for most people.

I will run it for awhile and see if I can stand it, but It is not anywhere nearly as good as a good spin balance.
I guess my next step is to try another set of tires. Firestone already said they would give me another set or give me my money back even though they say there is nothing wrong with them.
So do I do that? Or try a different brand?

But for anyone else wondering, In my experience, again, internal dynamic balancing is not as good as a good spin balance. Which is too bad, I really wanted it to work because it makes sense.
I think it is great that is has worked for some people and a I am jealous.
Or maybe we just have different standards but to me there is no reason it shouldn't be as smooth as a brand new F350 driven off the lot today.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:38 AM   #57 (permalink)
No

Member # 106663
Have you tried just spin balancing? No magic dust inside? Those tires aren't that big. I can't remember if you said that, and I'm not re reading the thread,
Old 04-25-2019, 05:55 AM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Have you tried just spin balancing? No magic dust inside? Those tires aren't that big.
Yes that is the problem. I get a fresh rebalance and rotation. Everything is perfect.
I head out on a road trip. In less than 1000 miles they are vibrating and shaking me again.

Get them rebalanced before the trip home and again, They start out perfect but balance won't hold and they are out of balance before I get home.

I have marked weights, counted weights. I am not losing weights. Something else is going on.
They are wearing perfectly, but then they don't have 10k miles on them. This is all highway driving. No off roading, no under inflation, not severe impacts, no flat repairs, no road debris damage.

I was looking for a solution rather than having the tires balanced every 500 miles or every time I want to drive it.

tires and rims were new at the same time. Brand new.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:00 AM   #59 (permalink)
What did you expect?

Member # 119290
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiha View Post
They can't. I am aware of that.
I am taking tires that were really close, lost balance slightly and trying to recover or make the balance better.

If it comes down to spin balancing, yes all of the internal media, whatever type it is, will have to be removed.

I'm running off the premise at this point that you cannot add too much balancing agent.
Which may or may not be true depending on who you ask.
You can definitely have too much agent in the tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy McChevy View Post
Radial tires don't get flat spots like bias ply tires do.

And even with Bias ply tires that get flat spots after sitting they go away after driving a few miles.
If they have a nylon wrap over the steel belts, you certainly can get flat spots.
But those are temperarure-related, and would go away in 5-7 miles.

Hunter makes a balanced that measures road force variation. Due to construction overlaps, tires can be perfectly round, and still cause vibration if the body ply overlaps are too large, and worse if multiple overlaps align.

Sounds like you have two that are exceeding acceptable limits, and when you corner, these can synchronize, and vibrate badly, or synchronize,and smooth out.

If you have a friend with a similar rig that rides smooth, bolt his tires on and drive.
HAPPYJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #60 (permalink)
Extended Member

Member # 69765
How are your wheel bearings? Shocks? Might not be the tires after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Follow my adventures on Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kyle_T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #61 (permalink)

Member # 106145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_T View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bingo, if you trued the tire, and balanced them, you should not have any vibration issues unless you have a bad bearing, bad ball joint, or possibly even a drive shaft that is unbalanced.

Is your truck full time 4 wheel drive,(no lock outs), it could be an issue there.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #62 (permalink)

Member # 777073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_T View Post
Bearings, ball joints, all that stuff is checked and re checked. It's good. By me, by two shops. it's good.
If it was a bearing there would be noise and vibration all the time, or tire wear, or leaky seal or some other indication.

Shocks are ok, not new, but if the tire is properly balanced you shouldn't even need shocks. They may help keep the tire on the ground but they also amplify the bad.

It is not full time 4x4 or all wheel drive. It is a stand 4x4 with auto locking hubs and I am positive the front hubs are not engaging.

Never had this problem before this tire/rim combo. I have had the truck for 17 years.

I would love for it to be something else. But it all points to bad tires or rims.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:53 AM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 113388
I have a similar situation. Installed New tires with Dyna Beads, shimmy starts at 55. I called the bead company and they said to static balance then put the beads back in
weswes01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in