Exotic cars........... WTF ???? - Page 3 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #51 (permalink)

Member # 77578
Send a message via AIM to XJben
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGSTIC View Post
I have a friend with an R8. Wouldn't consider it much of an exotic but it is fun. He was looking at upgrading to a McLaren 570 as they are not a bad daily exotic. Even halfway affordable. Where he decided not to was for some reason on his R8 the insurance has no stipulations for what he pays. For the McLaren, he told me that the insurance cost had a mileage clause that he could only drive it 4000 miles per year or the rates went substantially higher. I have heard other people on YouTube mention how the insurance is on the exotics and that is why you see a lot of them being transported versus driven.

There are quite a few YouTube bloggers that put a hefty amount of miles on their exotics. TheStradman has a lot of videos talking about cost of putting miles on your exotic. If I had one I would DD it but I would also consider the car a loss when I went to sell it.

Skip to 11:00 and TheStradman talks bout his cost of putting 30,000 miles on a Gallardo in 2 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhewUl_9VWc
There may be a more annoying human being in this world than "stradman", but I don't see how.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #52 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 5538
Send a message via AIM to BIGSTIC Send a message via Yahoo to BIGSTIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJben View Post
There may be a more annoying human being in this world than "stradman", but I don't see how.
I can not deny this statement. Thank God you can click through the videos.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Click Above ^^^^^^

"In America, we like everyone to know what we are doing anonymously" Jay Leno

For the best deal on 8 lug disc brakes click here-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BIGSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #53 (permalink)

Member # 17351
The owners never drive them, they might get wrecked, stolen, scratched, breathed on wrong...a pigeon could shit on it, who knows?

They just rub them with a diaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards View Post
I've found the opposite to be true with the actual exotic stuff. It's the doctors with their Porches and Teslas who are protective of them. The guy with the Ferrari tosses the keys to the valet and says "I don't care as long as you don't crash it." I helped one of my buddies fab a hitch receiver for a Ferrari because the owner has a vintage wooded sailboat and wanted to be able to use both his toys on any given Saturday.

You never watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off, did you?

Last edited by earlybroncoguy; 05-02-2019 at 03:05 PM.
earlybroncoguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #54 (permalink)

Member # 53528
most people buying these vehicles do it for the image it gives, they would rather be in a parking lot getting compliments and pictures taken then actually out driving it

and im betting a lot of them dont want to risk damaging it

if i was rich enough to afford a million dollar car id go buy 10 cars for 100k instead and let my friends all race against each other, way more fun imo
rockyota83 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #55 (permalink)

Member # 270274
Send a message via Yahoo to The War Wagon
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
I watched some of the Barrett-Jackson Auction on the Motor Trend Channel and there were lots of ultra low mileage Ferraris, Lamborghinis, McLarens, etc. That got me curious, so I started checking used cars at those dealers. Lots and lots of them in the 3-4 year old range with only 2K-3K miles on them. WTF do the people do with these cars ?
Mugga T. Crackdealer gets it confiscated in short order - takes 2 - 3 years for his case to go to court. Barrett picks it up @ the forfeiture auction, turns around and... PROFIT!
Old 05-02-2019, 04:37 PM   #56 (permalink)

Member # 7772
Another one is oil money and China money. Chinese send their kids here to spend money as fast as they can, and of course kids are happy to oblige. This is part of the flight of capital out of the PRC which the CCP has clamed down on. Probably peaked 3 years ago, too.

Vancouver Real Estate, college tuition, exotics, clothes, and all kinds of stupid luxury items?

Why? Well, it's better than being forced to reinvest in China where nothing is worth anything, and it also covers other money-squirreling (laundering) activities, just like always with all money-hiders. The more double-entry accounting lines you can create, the more opportunity there is to hide $$$.

Just one of the reasons not saying it's all. Exotics also got a lot more reliable and a lot more common in the 21st century and a LOT more people just plain bought them. Every kid now has an exotic car channel. It's the Knahwludge.
EverNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #57 (permalink)
Damn kids

Member # 162771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
Exotics are not designed to be driven. 2-3k can be overhaul time.
Disagree. Although maybe the new ones are different. I had a 330 GT back in the day that I put over 80,000 miles. I could drive it to the track, beat the snot out of it, drive it home and daily drive to work. Dependable as snot. So who knows.

Always tip.

plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #58 (permalink)

Member # 50525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_W View Post
Actually he hit the point exactly. Any other topic from anyone else on "why do people do xxx?" and you would be the first to say "They're free to do what they want, bug off".

Also to the point, exotics aren't daily drivers, ask anyone with one, they suck at that role
Agreed. That’s why even if I happen to have “fuck you $”, the most expensive car I’d buy is some type of Porsche. To me they seem to be the best fit of fun to drive, high performance, and “prestige”, but it’s not the end of the world when it gets a rock chip or door ding, and you can actually get parts, maintain them, and rack up some miles.

If you really care about going fast, just get a motorcycle. When I ran my shop I was on half a dozen bikes that would do 0-60 in 2.6 seconds or less for under $20k. That’s what got me out of the “performance diesel” circle jerk.

Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 05-02-2019 at 06:52 PM.
gatorgrizz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #59 (permalink)

Member # 138515
2015+ Corvette z06s are in the 50-60k range and 650hp/650tq. Pretty phenomenal bang for buck and drive it like you stole it on a "budget"
pyleit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #60 (permalink)
Change is good.

Member # 20631
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
Agreed. That’s why even if I happen to have “fuck you $”, the most expensive car I’d buy is some type of Porsche. To me they seem to be the best fit of fun to drive, high performance, and “prestige”, but it’s not the end of the world when it gets a rock chip or door ding, and you can actually get parts, maintain them, and rack up some miles.
I'm a well known Porsche fanboi, but those cars were engineered to run hours on end on the Autobahn at 3 digit speeds and then be able to drive easily through a city. I put 160,000 miles on mine in the 20 years I owned it, and it was off the road for 4 of those 20, so an easy 10k per year. Not a lot, but not babied. Now if you talk about a 911 turbo or GT2 that's supercar performance that still can be a DD, they're amazing cars and drive like nothing else. I changed the oil, replaced the plugs, cap and rotor every other year, and same with adjusting the valves, and that's it as far as the engine was concerned. Big deal.

I restored mine to the best of my abilities and resources, and it was beautiful but I could either drive it or worship it. The second option made no sense to me, so by the time I sold it it still looked good, but the front end was peppered with rock chips.

Dude I worked with bought a Ferrari, a F355 IIRC, and he bought it on a great deal at like 49k on the clock. He worked two jobs to be able afford the payment, but fuck him, the 50k service was due and it was something over $20k. He had to finance the fucking service.
Roc Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 07:38 PM   #61 (permalink)
Get Off My Lawn

Member # 77386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeman View Post
Here is the deal...

Now days many of them take regular motor oil, just a lot of it. Mobile 1 Oil changes are 15,000 miles. Clutches are 100,000 miles. They can handle lots or regular driving or hard driving.

They are not as reliable at mass production and take more care and feeding but you can drive the wheels off them.

Years ago there requirements of clutches every 20k miles or less, etc. now competition in the exotic world has driven all the numbers way up. McClarens made a clutch good for 100,000 and the other manufactures followed in suit. also there may have been some engines that needed more or didn't last long(2k miles) but generally they are all pretty good now.
Brakes are one thing that will cost you a fortune.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I dunno, guys. Owning an exotic sounds like a drag. Just the attention and hassle of parking would get old. Plus what's the point on the street? Way more comfortable, less conspicuous, better handling on shitty streets (while not looking like a complete, small penis having, tool) cars out there.

If I had fuck you money I'd own a bunch of race cars and go fuckin' racing. Why on earth would anyone with any imagination spend that much money on a car that sucks ass at basically everything.

I don't group all exotics in this category. There are some that make sense as an investment and others like the R8 or GT3 RS that make a little sense in a frivolous way. Like having a really nice rock buggy because "meh, fuck it". A Gallardo is going to age horribly and there are seriously thousands of them in perfect condition. Most modern cars are not going to age well. Most have biodegradable, soy based wiring harnesses and computer systems with modules out the ass that all have to communicate for the car to even function. Silicon circuit boards never hold up.
Action Fab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 07:49 PM   #62 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 31621
Send a message via AIM to vetteboy79
I drove a 2012 Lambo Gallardo in one of those 'track day' experience rental things...was not impressed. The transmission felt like garbage (granted, it was an auto and they didn't let us use the paddle shift mode) and the interior build quality felt about on par with my '05 Dodge CTD. Coming in hot to a corner, yes it did what it was supposed to do, and I didn't get near the cornering or acceleration capabilities of it...but as a car overall I was pretty disappointed. Would not even consider one if it was at Corvette money range.

Flying Pig Racing #512
vetteboy79 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2019, 07:54 PM   #63 (permalink)

Member # 188393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action Fab
Brakes are one thing that will cost you a fortune.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I dunno, guys. Owning an exotic sounds like a drag. Just the attention and hassle of parking would get old. Plus what's the point on the street? Way more comfortable, less conspicuous, better handling on shitty streets (while not looking like a complete, small penis having, tool) cars out there. I'm guessing most of it is to show off.
Who needs a 20,000 sq. foot house for 2 people?

If I had fuck you money I'd own a bunch of race cars and go fuckin' racing. Why on earth would anyone with any imagination spend that much money on a car that sucks ass at basically everything. why do people buy jeeps?

I don't group all exotics in this category. There are some that make sense as an investment and others like the R8 or GT3 RS that make a little sense in a frivolous way. Like having a really nice rock buggy because "meh, fuck it". A Gallardo is going to age horribly and there are seriously thousands of them in perfect condition. Most modern cars are not going to age well. Most have biodegradable, soy based wiring harnesses and computer systems with modules out the ass that all have to communicate for the car to even function. Silicon circuit boards never hold up.
I'd venture to say if you have and use a super/hyper car like you would an econobox, you can probably afford maintenance as well. I doubt I'll ever have to worry about it.

$500 death traps for life
Old 05-02-2019, 09:46 PM   #64 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 684666
Most exotic owners are posers who took out a 2nd mortgage to buy one, usually cause it was their poster on the wall as a kid, and they take em to cars and coffee or to a club meet at the local track in the car corral. The guys that can actually afford them do drive em and dont care about the $20k service every few years. It's just "call me when its done".
jedijesus2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 02:43 AM   #65 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 52443
Since I simply can't afford 2000 USD per month to insure, pay parts and tires and service and fill it up with gas per month - I am going to guess I won't be buying and driving one.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:47 AM   #66 (permalink)

Member # 20396
Send a message via AIM to LR Max
Investments. Buying and selling classic cars is far more profitable than stocks.

So yeah, guys are buying these (even non-car guys), putting them away somewhere safe. Drag em back out in a few years, sell em. Its not about using them, its just an investment. Minimize cost, maximize profit.

Here is a visual aid of how a ferrari was a better investment than stock market.

So after it happened with Ferrari's everyone is looking for "the next" investment car. You could go Ferrari, which might appreciate, but won't depreciate (so safe investment). But then it happened to the Porsche 911. Old 911s just exploded. Then its gone to old 4x4s, trucks, and Japanese sports cars. And all the prices just magically 2x over a few years.

But basically everyone is worried about the stock market and property. So onto the next investment thing that is "recession proof".
LR Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #67 (permalink)

Member # 37016
I wouldn't say collector cars are recession proof as many cars sold over the last 5 years sold in 05-08 for more than they did then. They didn't lose as much % of value as the home or stock market but they still went down.
65Chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2019, 07:54 AM   #68 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteboy79 View Post
I drove a 2012 Lambo Gallardo in one of those 'track day' experience rental things...was not impressed. The transmission felt like garbage (granted, it was an auto and they didn't let us use the paddle shift mode) and the interior build quality felt about on par with my '05 Dodge CTD. Coming in hot to a corner, yes it did what it was supposed to do, and I didn't get near the cornering or acceleration capabilities of it...but as a car overall I was pretty disappointed. Would not even consider one if it was at Corvette money range.
I was talking to my kid the other day about if I had stupid $ what exotic I would buy(she is a huge super/hyper car fan) and I told her I would first just pay to use one at a track somewhere for a day before I bought. Im pretty sure for the $$$ Id be disappointed....and if I wasn't Id go buy one and beat on it like any other car.

Seems like 95% of the geeks that buy exotics drive them like automatic civics anyways.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #69 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Chevy4x4 View Post
I wouldn't say collector cars are recession proof as many cars sold over the last 5 years sold in 05-08 for more than they did then. They didn't lose as much % of value as the home or stock market but they still went down.
This is what I keep telling myself...that they'll never lose enough value that when it comes time to turn them back into cash....Ill always make $....

I like to enjoy my retirement cash now....building old cars!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #70 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 151139
Saw this article a few months ago.

https://jalopnik.com/somebody-street...f40-1832828661

Quote:
This is, without a doubt, my new favorite Ferrari. Somebody in [LOCATION REDACTED] street parks their Ferrari F40. That duct tape on the hood is when a Yaris backed into it. Concours d’Elegance this is not.

Illustration for article titled Somebody Street Parks Their Ferrari F40
This car comes to us from our tips email (that’s tips at jalopnik dot com) sent in from an enterprising carspotter Will, from whom we get the backstory of this fine machine. If you happen to be wondering, these cars regularly return around a million dollars at auction, thanks to their heritage of being the first production car to claim to break 200 miles per hour, and a deeper reputation of being the last great, raw, analog supercar. A high water mark for the ‘80s generation.

Honestly, and I’ll say this a bunch of times, this rules. There are many F40s in the world. (Ferrari built... let me see if I can remember this off the top of my head... 1,300 of them? Ah! So close. Ferrari claims 1,311.) Many of those F40s are in garages. Many of them live perfectly preserved, pampered lives. Let one of them be enjoyed as a car for the whole world to see.

In any case, here’s Will, under the subject line of “My neighbor street parks a Ferrari F40.” Here it is edited slightly for legibility, and the location of the car has been redacted just so we’re you know, not shining a homing beacon onto one of the coolest cars in the world:

The subject of the email sums it up. Yes, it’s not red, but it’s a real F40. Not that many Fieros have a carbon kevlar monocoque or a twin turbo intercooled v8 in the back.

This guy parks it about 200 feet from me and gives absolutely no fucks whatsoever about anything, ever. I talked to him once for a while about it. There’s a story behind the matte vinyl wrap. If you’re sighing in relief that it’s a wrap and that the original red paint is still under it you’re not wrong (you can see it under the wrap in the picture of the door handle), but you should stop reading this email immediately so you don’t experience some sort of aneurysm.

My other neighbor backed into it and drove over the the hood with her Toyota Yaris. He replaced the hood and got it wrapped to mask the damage. Unfortunately, and I think owing to a separate incident involving either said Yaris or his garage door, he heavily scuffed the hood again, thus the flamboyantly off-color duct tape.

He told me he takes it to the track, but all I know for sure is that he uses the passenger seat to store extra wheels, tires, parts, and garbage. [...] There are going to a lot of people that react in revulsion to this, but honestly, after seeing this, anybody who garages their F40 should really question the life decisions they made that led them to where they are today. Drive your cars and use them to store empty bags of flamin’ hot cheetos, people. This guy is the man, although I might have more respect for my badass Yaris driving neighbor who out-gives-no-fucks him.

This is the part where I will voice the skepticism of my coworker Mike Ballaban who is not sure this is a real F40. He pointed out that the ride height looks weird. I believe that that’s just because the front passenger-side tire looks low. Mike also notes that the chin spoiler doesn’t look right, but I pointed out that it’s slightly coming off the body. He isn’t sure that really is a twin-turbo V8 in the back, I think it looks right from here. It’s not hard to find videos of this car doing some revs, and it sounds as legit as you’d like.

A lot of the oddness of the car comes from it being an U.S.-spec car, the slight variances of which are discussed on an old Supercars.net post.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the less unusual this feels. This is just a guy with a 30-year-old car treating it like a 30-year-old car.
Name:  ferrari1.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  41.0 KB

Name:  ferrari2.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  39.0 KB

Name:  ferrari3.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  39.8 KB
Attached Images

Last edited by Grumpy356; 05-03-2019 at 09:34 AM.
Grumpy356 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 04:03 PM   #71 (permalink)

Member # 501089
My wife and I purchased a 2015 Audi R8 Competition (570hp) off the showroom floor - lots of carbon fiber and a blue matte finish. It's got 3500 miles on it. I drive it to the market or to pick up takeout .. let a friend and his wife take a drive the other day.

It's a thrill to have a car that looks, acts and even still smells like a brand new car. It's still a massive thrill to drive. It's the nicest car I have ever owned. It occupies a spot in our garage and is enjoyable to look at always.

I don't drive the Jeep too much either. Mostly, because I'm always upgrading it.
Bayside 54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #72 (permalink)

Member # 226216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayside 54 View Post
My wife and I purchased a 2015 Audi R8 Competition (570hp) off the showroom floor - lots of carbon fiber and a blue matte finish. It's got 3500 miles on it. I drive it to the market or to pick up takeout .. let a friend and his wife take a drive the other day.

It's a thrill to have a car that looks, acts and even still smells like a brand new car. It's still a massive thrill to drive. It's the nicest car I have ever owned. It occupies a spot in our garage and is enjoyable to look at always.

I don't drive the Jeep too much either. Mostly, because I'm always upgrading it.

Ever take it out on track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thefishguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #73 (permalink)
Old School

Member # 130090
People who buy exotics don't do so to daily drive them. The ride sucks for one and most of these people have luxury Mercedes or BMW to daily drive. Last summer I stuck up a conversation with a guy who showed up at local harborside nightclub in a Ferrari. The car leaves the garage 20 times a year, half of which are the 2 Mile drive to the nightclub.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #74 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
People who buy exotics don't do so to daily drive them. The ride sucks for one and most of these people have luxury Mercedes or BMW to daily drive. Last summer I stuck up a conversation with a guy who showed up at local harborside nightclub in a Ferrari. The car leaves the garage 20 times a year, half of which are the 2 Mile drive to the nightclub.
Many of the new exotics have a decent ride quality. While some do suck, that's usually just the truly track focused models. The manufacturers have realized some people want to drive them more than just on the track. Good handling and decent ride are no longer mutually exclusive.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #75 (permalink)

Member # 501089
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefishguy77 View Post
Ever take it out on track?
I have thought about adding twin turbos ... maybe a full Hennessey twin turbo and a parachute ... run it in the airport runway timed rolling races. My wife's brother is on a team with a 3000hp Viper that does 217mph so we would be hanging with an experienced crowd.
Bayside 54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in