Best RV park in Yosemite? - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2019, 12:16 AM   #1 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Best RV park in Yosemite?

Family trip to Yosemite a good idea with a camper? Anyone bring a trailer camper into Yosemite and like where you stayed?
Yota Up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zeus of the Sluice

Member # 3835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota Up View Post
Family trip to Yosemite a good idea with a camper? Anyone bring a trailer camper into Yosemite and like where you stayed?
I would think Lower Pines or Upper Pines (Upper probably better) would be worth checking into - aka, call and ask Parks about those spots. Good location and always people camping in there with motorhomes, etc. They should be open by now, or opening soon, although they had massive flooding and a bunch of tree falls a month or two ago and have been shut down. Other than that, I've camped and worked in the park quite a bit but never in a trailer. Of that places we've all camped working in the park with big trucks, sometimes with a trailer, Upper Pines seems like the most viable place to start looking, I'd think.

If I were you, I'd just call Parks and ask them where you can go, and whether or not you can reserve a spot in advance...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Special Thanks to:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, West Kern Environmental Consulting,
desertPOS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 05:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 74936
Dont you need reservations like a year in advance to camp IN Yosemite?

I miss my Kayla.
daddytall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddytall View Post
Dont you need reservations like a year in advance to camp IN Yosemite?
For a lot of the spots in the valley you do. Also, most of the spots are 35' max length and many are less. Also, there are no hookups in the campsites.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/rvcamping.htm

From my experience it's pure luck if you get a "first come first served" spot. I've seen long lines of people at the crack of dawn trying for those spots.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Salesmen and women. God sells to the ignorant.

Last edited by SanDiegoCJ; 05-09-2019 at 06:24 AM.
SanDiegoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Just my $0.02 but leave that shit in the Valley where it belongs. Don't go to the garden of the Sierra and bring your little city with it. Sleep under the stars or some fabric. Flame away. Clog ass the road, clog ass the park clutter the fuck in place up.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
Yes, to camp in the park you need to make reservation, those open up in 6 month blocks and are normally sold out with in a few days.
All the sites INSIDE the park are great, take what you can get.
Don't even try to get the 'First come first serve' spots, you won't get one.

There are a few places that are outside of the park you can stay at, but that kinda ruins the point of staying at yosemite.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Member # 7772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
Just my $0.02 but leave that shit in the Valley where it belongs. Don't go to the garden of the Sierra and bring your little city with it. Sleep under the stars or some fabric. Flame away. Clog ass the road, clog ass the park clutter the fuck in place up.
California

I have sympathy for those who grew up there, maybe in the rural parts etc.

The biggest business in California is literally, LITERALLY, importing Asians and Hispanics. Change my mind.
EverNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Granite Guru

Member # 24747
No generators nor dogs allowed in Lower Pines last trip. Watched Rangers one morning tell the campers with a dog to vacate and they went to Upper Pines where generators and dogs are/were ok. (Been a few years back) Upper Pines lets you run yer generators till 10PM. In fact when the rangers come around each night they wanted campfires out at 10PM as well, although you could stay up and visit with a lantern for light. Bears come through at night so all food has to be in the provided bear lockers. Never leave food in yer car-the bears rip doors right off cars to gain entry as some SoCal folks found out next to us the hard way. Also they had all their backpacks outside their tent for their planned hike up to Half Dome the next day. Bears ripped the packs apart as there was food in them. I found a Rocky Road candy bar wrapper the next day in bear scat down by the creek/river the following morning. Bears do not hibernate at Yosemite according to rangers, also they have a healthy population of raccoons there that will raid yer camp, cars, anything. They come through in packs. Rangers told us a mountain lion had taken out a raccoon at Curry Camp right on the deck the second morning we were there. The rowdy and loud types go to Upper Pines so there is that. Lower Pines more subdued and kept that way. Even so 10PM is quiet time in both and enforced. If one has not been to Yosemite there is no describing the experience. My family has tent camped for generations there.

NRA Life

CRPA Life

Backncardr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 152210
day trip into yosemite, put your rv in at huntington lake...
Old 05-09-2019, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverNoob View Post
California

I have sympathy for those who grew up there, maybe in the rural parts etc.

The biggest business in California is literally, LITERALLY, importing Asians and Hispanics. Change my mind.
That's a lost cause. Trying to change your mind would be like trying to get Hitler to like Jews.
One of the great achievements of science has been, if not to make it impossible for intelligent people to be religious, then at least to make it possible for them not to be religious. We should not retreat from this accomplishment.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Member # 85140
I did it a couple years back. No reservations and i knew i had no shot at the first come first serve spots so we made it a day trip on our way through. I would not do it that way again. The roads are narrow and parking lots are not RV friendly. We found we were parking a mile up the road from the different sites just to get a spot with enough room to pull over. If i ever visit there again it will be without a camper attached.
shaggy10000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
Quote:
Originally Posted by welndmn View Post
Yes, to camp in the park you need to make reservation, those open up in 6 month blocks and are normally sold out with in a few days.
All the sites INSIDE the park are great, take what you can get.
Don't even try to get the 'First come first serve' spots, you won't get one.

There are a few places that are outside of the park you can stay at, but that kinda ruins the point of staying at yosemite.
They sell out a hell of a lot faster than a few days. If you are going in summer you need to be logged in and ready to purchase the exact second they open up the 6 month block and even then you are at maybe a 10% (and that's being generous) chance of getting a reservation. The one time I was successful we stayed at Upper Pines and loved it.

I have several friends that swear by Yosemite Lakes campground outside the park. I think they said it was a 45 min drive to the valley. You will get nowhere fast so just be patient and accept it for what it is. Pictures just don't do the place justice so go and enjoy.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:57 PM   #13 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
IMO the best way to do it is to stay outside the park, drive in, then hop on one of the shuttles that drive around the valley. Decreases your stress level and you don't have to find a parking spot at each site.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Member # 40795
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoCJ View Post
IMO the best way to do it is to stay outside the park, drive in, then hop on one of the shuttles that drive around the valley. Decreases your stress level and you don't have to find a parking spot at each site.
Sort of on topic - we went to Zion a few years ago. Not having cars in the park was awesome - we took our bicycles &/or rode the shuttle.
brian4wd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 74936
We have had luck staying in the valley at the Yosemite lodge and the Ahwahnee (or whatever they call it now) on short term notice. That was 8 years ago so no need to thank me.

I miss my Kayla.

Last edited by daddytall; 05-09-2019 at 05:00 PM.
daddytall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backncardr View Post
No generators nor dogs allowed in Lower Pines last trip. Watched Rangers one morning tell the campers with a dog to vacate and they went to Upper Pines where generators and dogs are/were ok.
I talked to the park yesterday and they said they have electrical and water hookups so curious about generators. Maybe the girl was dumb and didn't know what she was talking about.

I'd hate to get out there and not have electrical hookups. My trailer isn't too big, it's a popup, so hopefully won't be a nightmare to drive in/park, etc.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Member # 398
Send a message via ICQ to welndmn
There are a few sites there with hookups, but not many at all.
welndmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
/b/

Member # 196031
Tuolumne Meadows campground up near Tioga Pass. It's secluded and away from the foreign tourists.
Old 05-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #19 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Quote:
Can you think of one, by chance? I've been checking every one of them I can find and so far, not a single one with electric.

Also, based on the reports of heavy crowds in the valley I think we'll lean to Tioga pass or somewhere else within the park but away from the traffic. Just take a day trip to the valley when we want instead.
Old 05-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #20 (permalink)
Non-Lemming

Member # 840
Quote:
Can you think of one, by chance? I've been checking every one of them I can find and so far, not a single one with electric.

Also, based on the reports of heavy crowds in the valley I think we'll lean to Tioga pass or somewhere else within the park but away from the traffic. Just take a day trip to the valley when we want instead.
When are you planning on going ? Tioga Pass (Hwy120) is still closed because of deep snow.

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/tioga.htm

Quote:
Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

Member # 57128
Either mid summer or next year. No rush.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:16 PM   #22 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
Quote:
Quote:

Guaranty private CGs outside the park will be much closer than going to Tioga pass CGs, and the will have power/water.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #23 (permalink)

Member # 2801
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar7 View Post
Guaranty private CGs outside the park will be much closer than going to Tioga pass CGs, and the will have power/water.
On the other hand staying at Toulumne Meadows will beat the shit out of any campsite out of the park. I would never stay down in the Valley again and would never do it doing the summer. Go to the Valley in the spring if you want to experience that. The campsites at Toulumne Meadows are small though and not a whole lot of sites for trailers, let alone large trailers.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Meet me at the bar

Member # 346233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howdy View Post
On the other hand staying at Toulumne Meadows will beat the shit out of any campsite out of the park. I would never stay down in the Valley again and would never do it doing the summer. Go to the Valley in the spring if you want to experience that. The campsites at Toulumne Meadows are small though and not a whole lot of sites for trailers, let alone large trailers.
He seems pretty concerned about having power and I don't remember any of that up there. The nice thing though is you are close to Bodie, Mamouth and great fishing up and dpown 395.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

Member # 26910
I'll second, Yosemite Lakes. We stayed there for New years a few years ago, and it was great. Although there was no cell service for AT&T. I'm sure it's pretty packed in Summer, but would be nice.

Normally, we stay in June Lake and make a day trip out to Yosemite. Lots to do on that side of the Mountain. Fishing, hiking, you can check Bodie Ghost Town, which is always cool. It's a lot quieter too. Yosemite can be a zoo in Summer. Mite as well stay home in my LA traffic 🙄

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in