Looks like your China HF commie crap tools are gonna cost you more now - Page 2 - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum  

Go Back   Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum > Miscellaneous > General Chit-Chat
Notices

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 07:05 AM   #26 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Thinking tools are China or US only is a strange dichotomy. The Taiwanese build good shit, as do the Koreans, and both are stable democracies friendly to the US. I have no qualms buying their tools. The nicer HF tools are typically Taiwanese, not Chinese. All the Duralast tools from Autozone are Taiwanese as well. I took back a 20 year old Great Neck torque wrench that finally started slipping and they replaced on the spot with a new Duralast, again made in Taiwan.

You want Snap On? Buy it used. I have a ton of 80 tooth Snap On ratchets and sockets in my 72" HF toolbox (which kicks ass) and every bit of came from eBay or Craigslist. Fuck paying new prices for that.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #27 (permalink)
Wut?

Member # 20114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattafact View Post
72" HF toolbox (which kicks ass)
By far the HF toolboxes are top notch. I have the 72" and the 52", and both hold together far better than the crapsman box I have over in the corner holding some woodworking tools now.

Quote:
When I'm the voice of reason, it's a pretty good indication that someone's doing it wrong.
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 07:09 AM   #28 (permalink)

Member # 55560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
By far the HF toolboxes are top notch. I have the 72" and the 52", and both hold together far better than the crapsman box I have over in the corner holding some woodworking tools now.
Yup, my Craftsman has been relegated to woodworking tools and drywall and wood screws.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:12 AM   #29 (permalink)

Member # 23843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslide View Post
I realize you have no choice in a lot of products like I said above, however, you donít have to dive full retard into purposely buy Chinese made crap like itís your mission when thereís other choices out there.

Look, thereís definitely a problem when you defend buying commie crap made in China. Think long and hard about that - impossibility for :Gary:
So its ok to have some china made stuff....? Is there a list somewhere I missed? Seems like your argument just collapsed on itself......

Right now everyone in this thread would like to see YOU go 100% china free and stick to it!

If raising the price of china goods makes American ones the same price....Ill usually buy American....win/win......
Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 AM   #30 (permalink)
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 13671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
You realize that over 3/4 of "snap-on" is all made overseas now right?
Yea, and alot of "made in USA" labeled stuff was made in china, assembled in USA. It comes over on the boat missing the cover screws... we zip them in and BAM "oam prowd to be an uhmercun... were at least I noe eye'm free..."

I like buying USA made stuff. I make USA made stuff. It's just not an option alot of the time. I'm not gonna feel guilty because Hop-Sing made my phone or my toolbox.
45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 07:47 AM   #31 (permalink)
Rednek

Member # 52387
Send a message via AIM to billybob_81067 Send a message via MSN to billybob_81067 Send a message via Yahoo to billybob_81067
Good thing I already stocked up on Harbor Freight goodness for a long time! I buy things to a price point because I can't afford to have 100 brand new Crescent brand adjustable wrenches just to leave them in a tractor mounted toolbox to get rusty and maybe get used once or twice a year.

I also can't afford to not have an adjustable wrench handy to make those adjustments I need to make on the fly when trying to get stuff done. Therefore I buy HF adjustable wrenches to fill the gaps.

Same goes with other stuff too... Why would I buy a top of the line Murican made contractor grade tile saw, when the $40 unit from HF will do just fine for my own tiling projects. If I was in the tile business I'd get the good one but I'm just a farmer/rancher that works on my own house/parents house.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:57 AM   #32 (permalink)

Member # 6359
Korea (Samsung/Hyundai/LG), Taiwan, Singapore, Mexico all gain when China is slowed. Tides of the economic ocean. Oh Wow

Only iPhone shit is made in "China"
Old 05-10-2019, 08:06 AM   #33 (permalink)
Hophead

Member # 4829
Send a message via AIM to Joe_W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Uzi View Post
Korea (Samsung/Hyundai/LG), Taiwan, Singapore, Mexico all gain when China is slowed. Tides of the economic ocean. Oh Wow

Only iPhone shit is made in "China"
"At present, Samsung Electronics is running six mobile phone manufacturing facilities in the six countries of Vietnam, China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, and Korea."

I'm betting all the companies you listed have plants in China, not too mention all the companies that supply parts to those companies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddin
The vagina doubles as a neat little fanny pack.
Joe_W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 08:07 AM   #34 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 152210
xenophobia is kind of hard to spell... but xenophobes are usually the dudes who actually sit around trying to figure out how to get limber enough to suck their own dicks.... the problem? 1) fat as fuck 2) would require using foreign exercise to achieve goal.

Capitalism makes sense.
I'd imagine that POTUS has a plan for all this extra gubment interference and it will get resolved and he'll get us the best deal over all... so, patience etc.

In the meantime, I still scour craigslist first to see if I can get something used in good shape from someone who used something once or twice and gave up.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #35 (permalink)
Rock God

Member # 50866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Because it's either that, or live in a tent in the woods? Phone, TV, computer, audio stuff, appliances, etc etc. It's not like we can get Bell androids or a zenith 60" flat screen.

My newer HF toolbox is 100 times better built than my old "roller bearing" craftsman boxes.
A lot of the Crapsman shit is made in China now. Since Sears went under some of the outlets won't honor the lifetime replacement with older tools. I found one that will and the broken US made ratchet I traded got me a piece of shit made in China that slips. I might have to start using HF shit and get a bigger scrap barrel or take out a second mortgage to get into Snap On.
I went through many 1/4” craftsman ratchets cuz they just slip/skip/let go. Bought one from harbor freight and it is the best 1/4” ratchet I’ve ever had. I was just about to buy a set of snapon ratchets. So there’s that...
Old 05-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #36 (permalink)

Member # 94825
Fuck trump and his commie style taxes. Sold himself as a lover of the free market. Guess not. Hes just another Obama lite stalinist.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:51 AM   #37 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Member # 138976
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladman View Post
xenophobia is kind of hard to spell... but xenophobes are usually the dudes who actually sit around trying to figure out how to get limber enough to suck their own dicks.... the problem? 1) fat as fuck 2) would require using foreign exercise to achieve goal.

Capitalism makes sense.
I'd imagine that POTUS has a plan for all this extra gubment interference and it will get resolved and he'll get us the best deal over all... so, patience etc.

In the meantime, I still scour craigslist first to see if I can get something used in good shape from someone who used something once or twice and gave up.
If he can get N Korea back to the table and get them closer to reasonable, i'm all for it.

freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want

keep your head down, go to sleep to the rhythm of the war drums
Provience is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 08:52 AM   #38 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
So its ok to have some china made stuff....? Is there a list somewhere I missed? Seems like your argument just collapsed on itself......

Right now everyone in this thread would like to see YOU go 100% china free and stick to it!

If raising the price of china goods makes American ones the same price....Ill usually buy American....win/win......
You think we got to this place over night? Now you think Iím telling you to switch it off overnight? Seriously?

By making it a first option to buy your tool or whatever from either the US or friendly country is a start to turn it around. Itís taken decades to get to the point weíre at now with items you have no choice in buying except made in China.

But hey, just keep buying your commie China made shit because itís cheap even when other options are out there and it wonít be long this country will be owned by China, more so then it already owns us.

If none of this type of stuff bothers any of you then just speed it up and vote for the next commie democrat running for potus and Congress.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #39 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
How fucking hard can it be?

Attachment 2930506
OOPsie....DESIGNED IN USA, but made in Taiwan or possibly France.

https://www.stanleytools.com/about/sustainability

Last edited by DavidVanVorous; 05-10-2019 at 11:37 AM.
DavidVanVorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 11:44 AM   #40 (permalink)
Oh Jesus Tits....

Member # 17554
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ View Post
Fuck trump and his commie style taxes. Sold himself as a lover of the free market. Guess not. Hes just another Obama lite stalinist.
Whatever.

Trade with China has been lopsided forever. I'm all for anything that levels the playing field, which this WILL do over time. Everyone is getting panicky over the short term ramifications of this, but "Fair" trade is when a country doesn't steal all our intellectual property and sell it back to the world at pennies on the dollar.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member # 110475
HF has replaced Crapsman as the go to DIY tool brand. Their stuff is equal or better to the old US craftsman and much better than the new china craftsman junk. That being said, I started selling kidneys to pay for Snap-on as a lot of their stuff is just that much better. Used or promo deals on the truck only, never retail. Some is Spain made, but everything else is US made. The HF stuff is still a great value and the lifetime warranty makes it a great bargain. Just wish they didnt skip sizes in their socket sets.

Also anyone looking into a new box, check out Homak through Napa vs HF. I got a 72" Homak roller cab with a stainless top, better drawer latches and liners, and a better drawer layout imo for only $400 more than the HF.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #42 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPurdueYJ View Post
Let me lay it out to you in simple terms

US trade imbalance is at ~420 billion dollars, so in other words we buy 420 billion dollars more shit from China than they buy from us.

China steals our technology and uses it for free, they buy us tech companies and force the transfer of intellectual property to China based tech companies.

They don't enforce international patent rights.

The US cannot have a stable economy without manufacturing jobs, the math doesn't work. Forget what political fawkwads say, read what real economist say.

The tariff chit is a short term power pay to force china to negotiate and quit fawking us in the a$$ like they have since Clinton. Some folks can't think beyond tomorrow. This a long term issue that needs to be addressed so we can at east compete on a level playing field.

Cliffs version: we are getting fawked by china, it has to stop.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 11:58 AM   #43 (permalink)

Member # 689026
And in 200 yrs history will show the downfall of the USA directly related to pirate4x4 members large volume of purchases from HFs Chinese made tools...and someone tried to warn us.
Footy84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #44 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
OOPsie....DESIGNED IN USA, but made in Taiwan or possibly France.

https://www.stanleytools.com/about/sustainability
I donít see that anywhere. I see with global materials but as far as that means to me is the plastic, steel, rubber or paint product is imported. Otherwise it is made here. Not sure why thatís so funny other then you enjoy Americans out of work to some third world shithole building your tools.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #45 (permalink)
DWT
Pirate4x4 Addict!

Member # 19850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footy84 View Post
And in 200 yrs history will show the downfall of the USA directly related to pirate4x4 members large volume of purchases from HFs Chinese made tools...and someone tried to warn us.
You get it.

I swear landtard is the embodiment of all of the dumbest stereotypical ideas from the last 50 years or so.

Taiwanese Garbage should stay in Taiwan.
DWT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 12:11 PM   #46 (permalink)
Gravity Works!

Member # 25608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footy84 View Post
Wonít make any difference to me, Iíll be long gone by then. Canít say the same for yalls kids kids tho.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:21 PM   #47 (permalink)

Member # 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post

US trade imbalance is at ~420 billion dollars, so in other words we buy 420 billion dollars more shit from China than they buy from us.

China steals our technology and uses it for free, they buy us tech companies and force the transfer of intellectual property to China based tech companies.

The US cannot have a stable economy without manufacturing jobs, the math doesn't work. Forget what political fawkwads say, read what real economist say.

The tariff chit is a short term power pay to force china to negotiate and quit fawking us in the a$$ like they have since Clinton. Some folks can't think beyond tomorrow. This a long term issue that needs to be addressed so we can at east compete on a level playing field.

Yup - this. Compete or die, and part of competing is trying to make the playing field level. I buy plenty of Chinese stuff and most of it is pretty good. If the playing field gets leveled then maybe some of that stuff gets built here or the price of the Chinese stuff comes in line with the US made stuff (assuming it is available). Until then, I'll pay a little more for my HF stuff
Old 05-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #48 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm View Post

Get what yer trying to say but drop the patent argument as there is no such thing as "international patents" and many countries require an item to be patented in their country above and beyond the US patent if you want to keep the manufacture only in the US. The list of infringements on US based patents and/or copyrights is not just China and decidedly global.

Not all countries have patents or copyrights, i.e all knowledge/technology is free argument. Many of the Far eastern countries have this attitude. Taiwan, most of the far east to China and to some extent India use this approach in one manner or another. Even when Apple was as tight assed about the Apple and Mac patented designs being sole source US fab only no knock offs like XP Dos puters, one could buy an knock off in Hong Kong during the UK ownership period; Just couldn't bring a knock off into the US mostly. Apple has had their electronics built in China for a l................o...........n..............g time. Intel, TI, AMD are others that rely on far east chip foundries of their "US patented" and the tech is used to create knock off devices under different names sold everywhere but in the US.

Not all laws read like US patent law (Samsung v. Apple as example) Samsung lost a big case in the US over patented tech in their phones but Apple was told to pound sand on the same tech in Korea.

Not everything patented covers like US patents do. (Nippon Electric v. Intel on cpu chips). Japan has no problem with a Japanese company building a parallel path product if the design/development is same/similar to a non Japanese firm and their patent. If there are enough difference, even minor, a US patent wont hold up in court. That also happens in Europe as well.

Last edited by DavidVanVorous; 05-10-2019 at 12:48 PM.
DavidVanVorous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #49 (permalink)

Member # 4387
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVanVorous View Post
Get what yer trying to say but drop the patent argument there is no such thing as "international patents" and many countries require an item to be patented in their country above and beyond the US patent if you want to keep the manufacture only in the US.

Not all countries (like China) have patents or copyrights, i.e all knowledge/technology is free argument. Even when Apple was as tight assed about the Apple and Mac designs being sole source US fab only no knock offs like XP Dos puters, one could buy an knock off in Hong Kong during the UK ownership period; Just couldn't bring a knock off into the US mostly. Apple has had their electronics built in China for a l................o.........n..............g time.

Not all laws read like US patent law (Samsung v. Apple as example) Samsung lost a big case in the US over patented tech in their phones but Apple was told to pound sand on another in Korea.

Not everything patented covers like US patents do. (Nippon Electric v. Intel on cpu chips). Japan has no problem with a Japanese company building a parallel path product if the design/development is same/similar to a non Japanese firm and their patent. If there are enough difference, even minor, a US patent wont hold up in court. That also happens in Europe as well.

The list is endless and decidedly global despite US based patents and/or copyrights and its not just China.

China is member of the international patent treaty, they just don't enforce it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_Cooperation_Treaty
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2019, 01:24 PM   #50 (permalink)

Member # 36733
Quote:
I donít see that anywhere. I see with global materials but as far as that means to me is the plastic, steel, rubber or paint product is imported. Otherwise it is made here. Not sure why thatís so funny other then you enjoy Americans out of work to some third world shithole building your tools.
The irony is lost on the clueless here.

If the objective is to bring back the manufacturing jobs such as your tape measure assembled in the US from parts imported from Taiwan or France, the only jobs "temporarily" saved are low pay "trained monkey" $12/hr assembly jobs and low value support staff at Stanley...Which would be replaced as the facility got more robotically automated as time progressed.

The tarrifs you are supporting don't impact unassembled parts, only raw stock and finished goods. As such the only folks they hit are the US consumers via higher prices. They WONT open a steel mill that's been mothballed since the 60s nor will they add any skilled labor jobs except if you happen to be a techy and can work on the robotics and assembly lines to used to put together parts made and brought into the US from other countries avoiding the tariffs and labelled bogusly with a "Made in USA" sticker...

Tis the way corporate "Murica" works and how the companies get around stupid ideas like tariffs. The Japanese car makers taught US manufacturers real well on how to do this the last time the US pulled this stunt with tariffs...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

** A VERIFICATION EMAIL IS SENT TO THIS ADDRESS TO COMPLETE REGISTRATION!! **

Email Address:
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in